PDA

View Full Version : Meet The New Organist: Lori Moreland

Sockinchisox
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-talk-new-sox-organist-0323-20110322,0,7503078.story

cards press box
03-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone know what her schedule will be? I hope it is all 81 home games (and hopefully three playoff series).

Brian26
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Hell yes, she's going to play Bon Jovi.

Fox-To-Aparicio
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I have got to do a Nancy Faust painting!

Red Barchetta
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I thought Brooks was in favor of the canned/NBA style of music. I am also curious as to how many games she will actually be playing organ.

Viva Medias B's
03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Lori comes to us from Our Lady of Knock Parish (http://www.ourladyofknock.org/) in Calumet City. Are any of you from that parish? I wonder what her weekend availability will be given her Saturday/Sunday Mass responsibilities, which in my view are much more important as we could appreciate.

thomas35forever
03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Please be there every game. Please be there every game.:praying:

soltrain21
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Lori comes to us from Our Lady of Knock Parish (http://www.ourladyofknock.org/) in Calumet City. Are any of you from that parish? I wonder what her weekend availability will be given her Saturday/Sunday Mass responsibilities, which in my view are much more important as we could appreciate.

It'd be really dumb of the Sox to hire her and her not play the weekends. Hopefully she is at the games.

GoGoCrede
03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm so excited! Welcome to the fold, Lori.

hi im skot
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
It'd be really dumb of the Sox to hire her and her not play the weekends. Hopefully she is at the games.

Seriously, what's the point?

Frater Perdurabo
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
My guess is that the Sox pay a lot more than the Church.

manders_01
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome and good luck Lori!

XplodingScorbord
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Excellent! Big thumbs up on the continuation of organ music at the ballpark. Hope she's great, and stays a long time!

35thPaloma
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
hey thats great!! I'm from calumet city and my best friend grew up going to their elementary school/church. I think its a great south side edition for the sox organization. I was getting worried there for a sec about whether or not they would get a replacement for Nancy (not that she could ever be truly replaced). Didn't someone here write awhile back and get a pretty muted response about that? or am i making that up? Anyway.

Congrats to Lori! :D:

soxinem1
03-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe a different style of organ might be a good thing, though Nancy's witticisms were part of what made her special.

Welcome to the White Sox, Lori! Play, play, play!!!

beasly213
03-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I thought Brooks was in favor of the canned/NBA style of music. I am also curious as to how many games she will actually be playing organ.

That's what people have just assumed over the years and in reality Nancy wanted a reduced schedule.

DumpJerry
03-23-2011, 12:11 AM
This is a lie. The Sox were supposed to announce their choice at Soxfest. They were also supposed to hire the Blackhawk's guy. I don't believe it.

This is designed to confuse Cub fans.

They're going to play nothing but Ozzy Osbourne and that Bieber creature.

gobears1987
03-23-2011, 03:07 AM
She plays "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" so I'm satisfied. I would've been upset to see that tradition die. I'm glad that they hired a Sox fan. Granted, Nancy was not a baseball fan and knew little of the game when she was hired, but I'm happy that they hired someone who understands what Nancy did for the last 4 decades. Now let's hope she is playing all 81 games.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I passed this on to the Red Sox organist who had some interest...his reply

I'm glad they finally announced something. I had been told Frank was offered the job but the Hawks discouraged him from taking it as the people there were concerned that another White Sox connection to the hockey team would upset some of the hockey fans. The long time pa announcer at Sox park also does hockey.

I don't know Lori but the video tells me she will be fit in fine. Apparently Nancy knew her and that certainly helped. Bottom line is they are keeping the tradition which I am happy about.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Sunday shouldn't be a problem - Saturday however

Weekend Masses:

Saturday Evening 5:30PM
Sunday 8AM and 10:00AM

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Anyone know what her schedule will be? I hope it is all 81 home games (and hopefully three playoff series).
sox have already said it will be day games mostly.

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

I'm glad they finally announced something. I had been told Frank was offered the job but the Hawks discouraged him from taking it as the people there were concerned that another White Sox connection to the hockey team would upset some of the hockey fans. The long time pa announcer at Sox park also does hockey.

I don't know Lori but the video tells me she will be fit in fine. Apparently Nancy knew her and that certainly helped. Bottom line is they are keeping the tradition which I am happy about. translation: johnny mccub dosent want to piss of fthe wrigleyville douches that prop up ticket demand at wrigley field on ice.

DonnieDarko
03-23-2011, 08:22 AM

I don't know Lori but the video tells me she will be fit in fine. Apparently Nancy knew her and that certainly helped. Bottom line is they are keeping the tradition which I am happy about.

...the hell? Why would another "White Sox connection" upset some Hawks fans? :?:

Fenway
03-23-2011, 08:46 AM
...the hell? Why would another "White Sox connection" upset some Hawks fans? :?:

Ask John McDonough.

I think we all have to accept that it was Nancy who wanted a reduced schedule. She just turned 64 and going to and from the park for night games became a burden for her. (Lake County is a hike from USCF)

The White Sox were the first MLB team (1982) to stop the practice of the teams running onto the field and then the anthem would be played. EE believed the anthem made for 'dead TV time' following the lead of the NFL.

The way it used to be
rfoHX7i-qAY

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I had been told Frank was offered the job but the Hawks discouraged him from taking it as the people there were concerned that another White Sox connection to the hockey team would upset some of the hockey fans.

Yeah - winning a championship in the era of indoor plumbing, telephones and vehicles not pulled by an equine.

russ99
03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
That's awesome news!

I'm glad to see that organ music is still going to be played at Sox games.

Best of luck to Lori, hopefully she's around for a long time.

TheOldRoman
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
That's what people have just assumed over the years and in reality Nancy wanted a reduced schedule.Both are true. Nancy wanted a reduced role starting in 2006, but she was surprised when the Sox jumped at her offer to only do day games. The Sox started limiting her many years before. She could only play at certain times, couldn't play certain songs, and she could only play a few notes on "Nah nah hey hey" before they started blasting pop music. Brooks was quoted with doubletalk before, saying the organ was so valuable to the fan experience and then saying that fans liked pop music. But really, I have heard from a good source that Brooks' precedecor Rob Gallas didn't like organ music and started reducing her role in the '90s. The only reason the Sox kept her at that point was because they felt (especially at such a downpoint for the team in the mid-late '90s) that there would be too much of a fan backlash if they got rid of her.

dickallen15
03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Both are true. Nancy wanted a reduced role starting in 2006, but she was surprised when the Sox jumped at her offer to only do day games. The Sox started limiting her many years before. She could only play at certain times, couldn't play certain songs, and she could only play a few notes on "Nah nah hey hey" before they started blasting pop music. Brooks was quoted with doubletalk before, saying the organ was so valuable to the fan experience and then saying that fans liked pop music. But really, I have heard from a good source that Brooks' precedecor Rob Gallas didn't like organ music and started reducing her role in the '90s. The only reason the Sox kept her at that point was because they felt (especially at such a downpoint for the team in the mid-late '90s) that there would be too much of a fan backlash if they got rid of her.

I read many years ago, just like the Cubs last year, the organ music was silenced more by the players than anything else. If you remember Ozzie's quotes about the organ, and Oney's disrespectful comments last year, this seems to probably be true.

Hitmen77
03-23-2011, 10:49 AM

But, but....everyone knows it's Sox fans who hate the Cubs and that Cubs fans don't care one way or another about the Sox. So the Hawks are obviously wrong about this.

Both are true. Nancy wanted a reduced role starting in 2006, but she was surprised when the Sox jumped at her offer to only do day games. The Sox started limiting her many years before. She could only play at certain times, couldn't play certain songs, and she could only play a few notes on "Nah nah hey hey" before they started blasting pop music. Brooks was quoted with doubletalk before, saying the organ was so valuable to the fan experience and then saying that fans liked pop music. But really, I have heard from a good source that Brooks' precedecor Rob Gallas didn't like organ music and started reducing her role in the '90s. The only reason the Sox kept her at that point was because they felt (especially at such a downpoint for the team in the mid-late '90s) that there would be too much of a fan backlash if they got rid of her.

This seems to be correct. Yes, Nancy wanted a reduced schedule. But if the new organist is also doing mostly day games only, then that tell you that this isn't just about accommodating a long-time organist who wants reduced hours.

I understand the reality that organ music has a reduced presence nowadays, but I still don't like the idea that night games will continue to have ZERO organ music.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
White Sox just posted this on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13259631

Fenway
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Josh at Fenway gives a :thumbsup:

http://harvardmagazine.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_width-only_300/img/article/0810/0910_p49_01_t.jpg

Noneck
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
It appears that she plays as she reads music, doesnt wing it like Nancy who couldn't read a note and played by ear.

Lip Man 1
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Fenway says: "Josh at Fenway gives a 'thumbs up.'

Well then my life is complete now.

Lip

Fenway
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Fenway says: "Josh at Fenway gives a 'thumbs up.'

Well then my life is complete now.

Lip

He is just happy the White Sox did the right thing Lip - remember Nancy is the main reason he is working at Fenway now ( he is from Evanston )

GoSox2K3
03-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Jerry Reinsdorf OWNS the Bulls. You can't get much more connected to the Sox than that. Yet, I have never heard that support of the Bulls was hurt because Cubs fans were upset at this connection.

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf OWNS the Bulls. You can't get much more connected to the Sox than that. Yet, I have never heard that support of the Bulls was hurt because Cubs fans were upset at this connection.Johnny McCub dosent like the sox connection. plain and simple.

PeteWard
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM

I can see baseball so it is much more important to me.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Johnny McCub dosent like the sox connection. plain and simple.

I think you nailed it

Sox press release on Lori

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110323&content_id=17082302&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Exchanged e-mails with Brooks on this. Brooks said the Sox are fortunate to get her and that he "hopes White Sox fans will give her a chance...and I think they will." (direct quote)

Lip

Fenway
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Exchanged e-mails with Brooks on this. Brooks said the Sox are fortunate to get her and that he "hopes White Sox fans will give her a chance...and I think they will." (direct quote)

Lip

I am sure they will....

The Hawks had this problem decades ago when Al Melgard retired...

The Yankees had to hire TWO to replace Eddie Layton. I think the core issue was if organ music would continue and this is a good sign.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2010/05/yankees_organist_ed_alstrom_re.html

doublem23
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Lip

how insightful

soltrain21
03-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I planned on filling balloons with mustard and throwing them at her. Guess I'll put that idea on hold.

cards press box
03-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Lip

Lip, did Brooks say what Lori's schedule would be?

delben91
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I planned on filling balloons with mustard and throwing them at her. Guess I'll put that idea on hold.

You'd probably want to go with relish anyway. Better dispersal pattern on impact.

Just sayin' :cool:

FoulTerritory
03-23-2011, 05:25 PM

That would suck. Where did you hear this? And why, god forbid, can we no longer have organ music at night games?

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
That would suck. Where did you hear this? And why, god forbid, can we no longer have organ music at night games?soxfest

Lip Man 1
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Cards:

He didn't. I'll ask him though.

Lip

GoGoCrede
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Oh, dammit. :(: I go to night games mostly, so I wasn't able to hear Nancy too much. Was hoping Lori would do more night games as well.

FoulTerritory
03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh, dammit. :(: I go to night games mostly, so I wasn't able to hear Nancy too much. Was hoping Lori would do more night games as well.

Yeah, me too. I haven't been to a day game in years because of my schedule and when I can get into town. I wish we could get some organ music at night. :(:

cards press box
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Cards:

He didn't. I'll ask him though.

Lip

Thanks, Lip.

Viva Medias B's
03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
If you are amongst the "People Up North [Who] Don't Get It," there is a nice feature (http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/sports/4474214-419/crete-woman-hired-as-new-white-sox-organist.html) on Lori in today's SouthtownStar. When there is a conflict between Mass and a day game, another organist will fill in for Lori at Our Lady of Knock.

Also, on a side note, I should point out that John McDonough is a Sox fan, in spite of his previous employment with the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc.

ewokpelts
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
If you are amongst the "People Up North [Who] Don't Get It," there is a nice feature (http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/sports/4474214-419/crete-woman-hired-as-new-white-sox-organist.html) on Lori in today's SouthtownStar. When there is a conflict between Mass and a day game, another organist will fill in for Lori at Our Lady of Knock.

Also, on a side note, I should point out that John McDonough is a Sox fan, in spite of his previous employment with the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc. WAS is the operative word. I can say this on good authority.

ewokpelts
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh, dammit. :(: I go to night games mostly, so I wasn't able to hear Nancy too much. Was hoping Lori would do more night games as well.they said at soxfest the goal is to add more night games. over time.

TheOldRoman
03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
WAS is the operative word. I can say this on good authority.We all know people like that. An uncle of mine was a Sox fan back to the '30s, when he was good friends with Dorothy Comiskey and used to hang out/drink with the players. About 10 years ago he became a "life-long" Cubs fan because they were the "classier, dignified man's team." I wouldn't doubt McDonough fully converted in his time with the Cubs, although that is a case of the dealer becoming a user. Never smart.

Viva Medias B's
03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Could we hear "Be Not Afraid" from Lori if we stumble out of the gate?

doublem23
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Ok, we get it, she works at a church.

soltrain21
03-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Not everyone here is religious.

Frontman
03-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Welcome Lori!!!! She definitely has a hard act to follow, but us Sox fans will give her every chance!

Can't wait for the first "Hey hey hey" for a pulled pitcher. Whoo hoo!!!!

FoulTerritory
03-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Welcome Lori!!!! She definitely has a hard act to follow, but us Sox fans will give her every chance!

Can't wait for the first "Hey hey hey" for a pulled pitcher. Whoo hoo!!!!

Indeed. I remember when the issue of Nancy's pending retirement first came up there was some commentary by Brooks that some of the consideration for not keeping an organist was the difficulty of trying to "replace a legend" and that the new organist couldn't "live up."

However, I suspect (reaffirmed by this thread), that Sox fans will warmly welcome a new organist into the community. I'm very enthused about this hire, and hope she is allowed to play a lot!

SI1020
03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Indeed. I remember when the issue of Nancy's pending retirement first came up there was some commentary by brooks that some of the consideration for not keeping an organist was the difficulty of trying to "replace a legend" and that the new organist couldn't "live up."

However, I suspect (reaffirmed by this thread), that Sox fans will warmly welcome a new organist into the community. I'm very enthused about this hire, and hope she is allowed to play a lot! I know it's not a popular opinion here but I believe they'd prefer to go full time with the canned crap.

Viva Medias B's
03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I know it's not a popular opinion here but I believe they'd prefer to go full time with the canned crap.

That is what Rob Gallas wanted and he cited "polls" that "claimed" that is what "fans" wanted. However, Brooks is much more sensible to know that the real fans want real organ music.

twinsuck
03-26-2011, 05:48 PM
That is what Rob Gallas wanted and he cited "polls" that "claimed" that is what "fans" wanted. However, Brooks is much more sensible to know that the real fans want real organ music.
awww guess I'm not a real fan. I hate the organ. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
03-26-2011, 06:14 PM

How could you hate the organ? It's as much a part of baseball as the baseball is.

twinsuck
03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
How could you hate the organ? It's as much a part of baseball as the baseball is.
It makes me think of church and I hate church. The sound makes me wanna puke. If it were up to me we wouldn't have the organ or that canned crap, just the awesome sounds of the game. But most would think that's too boring.

MARTINMVP
03-27-2011, 12:51 AM
All Sox fans who like having an organ at games should welcome Lori - and they will. It would be stupid not to... especially since at this time last year, many of us thought it was a real possibility that the team would actually opt to eliminate the organ all together.

I'm just thankful they didn't go that route and that there will be organ at the ball park in some capacity.

SephClone89
03-27-2011, 01:18 AM

:tantrum:

Stoky44
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I do not like her version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. This sounds generic. I really liked Nancy's version. Otherwise she was fine, not bad nor great.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
So it looks like the early reviews of her aren't exactly positive. What was Nancy like when she started out?

Whitesox029
04-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I do not like her version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. This sounds generic. I really liked Nancy's version. Otherwise she was fine, not bad nor great.
She played it too fast, much faster than Nancy, which threw the whole crowd off. Today was her first game, so I don't expect that everything we heard today was what it's going to be like the rest of the way. I would imagine she was sort of nervous. As something of a musician myself, I know musicians as a rule prefer to use their own unique style, but I think a lot of fans (myself included) just want her to try to imitate Nancy as much as possible. Realistically, that's probably not going to happen, but it would be nice if she could find a happy medium. She did not play Na Na Hey Hey at the end of the game, for example. I know that was one of Nancy's signatures, but it's such an ingrained Sox tradition that it's a shame to see it die with the end of Nancy's tenure.
Another thing I sort of assumed was that it's the same organ she's playing. If that's the case, I think she should use the same settings that Nancy was using...not only was Take Me Out to the Ballgame too fast, but the tone of the organ was completely different; it sounded really foreign.

TomBradley72
04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know what type of patch she had on her shoulder?

Bruizer
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
On the plus side, she did play the Smoke on the Water riff 3 or 4 times! :cool:

Dirty30
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry, but she was horrible. Down right bad. I'm sure she was nervous, so I will give her a break, but if this keeps up, she will need to be replaced ASAP.

whtsox13
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM

I felt the same way about Take Me Out to the Ballgame. It sounded more canned effects than organ.

luckyboy
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Not hearing the organ play off an opposing pitcher that got knocked out was disheartening.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
An important thing for me, did she play "Na na na na!" when opposing pitchers got yanked?

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm sure she was nervous. I am definitely willing to take a 'wait and see' approach' because I'd rather have so-so organ music than none at all. I bet she will improve.

manders_01
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
She played it too fast, much faster than Nancy, which threw the whole crowd off. Today was her first game, so I don't expect that everything we heard today was what it's going to be like the rest of the way. I would imagine she was sort of nervous. As something of a musician myself, I know musicians as a rule prefer to use their own unique style, but I think a lot of fans (myself included) just want her to try to imitate Nancy as much as possible. Realistically, that's probably not going to happen, but it would be nice if she could find a happy medium. She did not play Na Na Hey Hey at the end of the game, for example. I know that was one of Nancy's signatures, but it's such an ingrained Sox tradition that it's a shame to see it die with the end of Nancy's tenure.
Another thing I sort of assumed was that it's the same organ she's playing. If that's the case, I think she should use the same settings that Nancy was using...not only was Take Me Out to the Ballgame too fast, but the tone of the organ was completely different; it sounded really foreign.

Based on the pre-game interview she did with Sarah Kustok, it did not appear to be. They showed footage of Nancy and her and it did not look like the same setup.

soxnut1018
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know if she will be playing tomorrow?

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I heard Lori today and thought her music was pretty good overall. I did wonder what she played during the player introductions, and I thought some of the percussion was drowning out the organ playing at times. All in all, I was pleased with her performance today.

Was she Nancy? No. But it would be unfair to Lori if we were to demand that her music should be a carbon copy of Nancy's. Does she have to use the exact same organ stops that Nancy did? We have to let Lori develop her own identity even if that means the tempo of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is different than it was before.

Dirty30
04-07-2011, 09:44 PM
An important thing for me, did she play "Na na na na!" when opposing pitchers got yanked?

Nope.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Nope.
Now that REALLY sucks. It's part of the White Sox tradition and it has been for many years. It was always fun to sing along with that. I hope she eventually does play it.

ChiSoxGirl
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM

I felt the same way about Take Me Out to the Ballgame. It sounded more canned effects than organ.

I absolutely agree with both of you. As soon as the song was over, I turned to my boyfriend and said, "I don't like her."

Fenway
04-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Now that REALLY sucks. It's part of the White Sox tradition and it has been for many years. It was always fun to sing along with that. I hope she eventually does play it.

She will play what she is TOLD to play - Nancy had the same problem at end ( Runaround Sue for example)

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
She will play what she is TOLD to play - Nancy had the same problem at end ( Runaround Sue for example)
I have a big problem with that. Organists should never be told what to do (except for to keep it clean--no playing songs with explicit lyrics). They should be able to be themselves.

Fenway
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a big problem with that. Organists should never be told what to do (except for to keep it clean--no playing songs with explicit lyrics). They should be able to be themselves.

We know Lori can play Na Na Hey Hey - look at video in the start of the thread.

Fenway organist has a little wiggle room but not much - they will say 30 seconds...45 seconds. He can NEVER play during an inning except for a pitching change or trip to mound. The team has never said his name over the PA - he is simply the Fenway Park organist.

MARTINMVP
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Which is probably why Nancy decided to retire.

It was obvious from the various things she has said in recent years that the relationship between her and the Sox was going sour. Add Ozzie's low class comments from last summer about organ music at the ball park, and Boyers insisting that research suggested canned music is better, and it just seemed that the Sox were hell bent on minimizing any remaining influence the organ had left on enhancing the ballpark experience.

It's a shame.

SI1020
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM

It was obvious from the various things she has said in recent years that the relationship between her and the Sox was going sour. Add Ozzie's low class comments from last summer about organ music at the ball park, and Boyers insisting that research suggested canned music is better, and it just seemed that the Sox were hell bent on minimizing any remaining influence the organ had left on enhancing the ballpark experience.

It's a shame. I totally agree with this but post after post here repeated the mantra that it was all Nancy's decision. It's another ham handed Sox PR blunder and yes I'm prepared to take the brickbats if they are heaved my way.

Fenway
04-07-2011, 10:28 PM
All I can tell you firsthand is this...

A few years ago I told Nancy that Josh would sneak in Runaround Sue at Fenway in her honor - she smiled and said 'I wish I could.'

Blame a lot of this on the Bulls and Tommy Edwards who convinced JR that canned music would make the crowd happy. The Bulls were the first.

Edwards tried it for 2 years with the Celtics when he relocated to Boston to run WODS - fans said we want the organ back...

No teams in sports do the organ better today than the Knicks and Rangers - the guy at MSG is a fabulous organist.

Athrun
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Maybe she just decided that there wasn't a good time to play it. Only one pitcher was taken out mid-inning and we didn't exactly chase anyone from the game.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Maybe she just decided that there wasn't a good time to play it. Only one pitcher was taken out mid-inning and we didn't exactly chase anyone from the game.
Doesn't matter. If we're winning and the opposing pitcher gets taken out before the inning is over, that song is played. Period. It would be a cardinal sin to have this tradition taken away completely.

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM

That's okay with me. I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer that "Na Na Na..." only be played when it's a blowout. Playing it when we're only up by two or tied or something kind of makes it lose its luster for me.

jdm2662
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
How am I not surprised the overall reviews aren't favorable. I guess that's what to be expected when someone replaces a legend.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Video from Lori:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13556061&topic_id=17070766&c_id=cws

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Video from Lori:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13556061&topic_id=17070766&c_id=cws

Aw, she's adorable.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM

It's a shame.
What, do Brooks and Ozzie prefer ROWDIE to the quality organ music or something?

Fenway
04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Believe me - you have NO idea what goes on in MLB parks control rooms now -

You have a producer, director and 30 people running the scoreboard and audio mix. Everything is scripted...

I miss the old days where for example at Fenway - the PA announcer also controlled the ball and strike lights and the simple audio board for the organ. Sherm Feller who was the longtime PA for years would announce scoring by using a game show bell for a hit, or a buzzer for an error - BUZZZZ ERROR SS he would boom. Marvin Miller stopped it as a union matter.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Believe me - you have NO idea what goes on in MLB parks control rooms now -

You have a producer, director and 30 people running the scoreboard and audio mix. Everything is scripted...

I miss the old days where for example at Fenway - the PA announcer also controlled the ball and strike lights and the simple audio board for the organ. Sherm Feller who was the longtime PA for years would announce scoring by using a game show bell for a hit, or a buzzer for an error - BUZZZZ ERROR SS he would boom. Marvin Miller stopped it as a union matter.
I have a bit of an idea. I have a friend who is a producer for The Score, and he gets to sometimes go "behind the scenes" at various places. He's told me how crowded some spots can be. I think it's all done to have more jobs for people.

Speaking of production, have you been able to contact the Sox Park Operations about May 4th? That would be so cool if you could give my group a tour between the weather seminar and the game.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 11:07 PM
What, do Brooks and Ozzie prefer ROWDIE to the quality organ music or something?
They've been playing ROWDIE at the park since well before Ozzie took over as manager. I don't remember how long Brooks has had his job, but I'm pretty sure it was before then. I know this because my old school's cheerleaders would use ROWDIE as a chant at our football games, hence the early recognition.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
They've been playing ROWDIE at the park since well before Ozzie took over as manager. I don't remember how long Brooks has had his job, but I'm pretty sure it was before then. I know this because my old school's cheerleaders would use ROWDIE as a chant at our football games, hence the early recognition.
I know, but it's still part of the "canned" music that they seem to embrace.

russ99
04-07-2011, 11:10 PM
That's okay with me. I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer that "Na Na Na..." only be played when it's a blowout. Playing it when we're only up by two or tied or something kind of makes it lose its luster for me.

Nancy rarely played it the last few years, except when the opposing starter was yanked. So I'm biased in the other direction, since I loved when it was played a lot in the late 70s and early 80s.

I'm just glad there's still organ music. I'm going to give the new organist tons of slack to come up with her own ideas. Do we really want a Nancy clone?

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I know, but it's still part of the "canned" music that they seem to embrace.
So many people here seem to have something against canned music at stadiums. I've been a sports fan for 15 years and that very concept is all I've ever known. I'm not saying it's a good idea to ditch the organ, but I don't see a reason for people to get so worked up over it. I know people are going to bring up the tradition argument, but is there more to it than that?

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
So many people here seem to have something against canned music at stadiums. I've been a sports fan for 15 years and that very concept is all I've ever known. I'm not saying it's a good idea to ditch the organ, but I don't see a reason for people to get so worked up over it. I know people are going to bring up the tradition argument, but is there more to it than that?
For me, not only am I a pretty traditional sports fan. But, I also think the organ sounds a lot more mellow than the canned music they blast between pitches. I can actually have a conversation with the person next to me unlike when the loud canned music is played.

russ99
04-07-2011, 11:18 PM

At all other sporting events (except maybe Hawks games) I'm very used to the canned music as well, but there just something that brings me back to watching games at Comiskey as a kid when I'm at the game and I hear the organ music.

TommyGavinFloyd
04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I thought both the organ playing itself and choice of songs (Prince? Really?) during the player introductions was, for lack of a better word, lame. Downright embarrassing really, and had me not even wanting to watch the intros anymore. I will be the first to admit I never liked the organ but at least before it was less noticeable. My personal hope is they soon realize they can't replace Nancy, so they will just stop having an organist altogether.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I thought both the organ playing itself and choice of songs (Prince? Really?) during the player introductions was, for lack of a better word, lame. Downright embarrassing really, and had me not even wanting to watch the intros anymore. I will be the first to admit I never liked the organ but at least before it was less noticeable. My personal hope is they soon realize they can't replace Nancy, so they will just stop having an organist altogether.
That's not an option unless you want to do away with a baseball tradition.

HomeFish
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Nah Nah Hey Hey is the most notable White Sox tradition. It should be the last thing we get rid of.

I am willing to give the new organist the benefit of the doubt. She's been playing at a church the last however many years, of course her Take Me Out to the Ballgame won't be polished. Few churches play that.

FoulTerritory
04-07-2011, 11:49 PM
A lot of people seem annoyed that Kiss Him Goodbye wasn't played upon opposing pitcher removal, but I actually think its more of constant tradition when the game ends. I was shocked when watching on TV I didn't hear Na Na Na, etc after the last out, especially what with the jubilation of an opening day win.

I'll give Lori a chance, and I want her to develop her own tradition, but if there is one entrenched organ tradition in Sox history its the "na na na na" serenade, and I would hope that at least that one thing would not go away.

HomeFish
04-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Didn't the Sox used to have a tradition based around the song "hit the road Jack"?

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I didn't even notice that they didn't play "Na, Na, Na" when they pulled a pitcher, but really Cruz only gave up a hit. It doesn't make sense to play it when they pull a pitcher who is winning or when it is tied, but I like doing it when we're ahead and that pitcher is rattled. Nancy used to play it twice but now they have limited it to once and I have read here that that is a tradition that Jerry doesn't like which is too bad. I think we should absolutely keep it and crank it up when we do it too!

TheOldRoman
04-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Didn't the Sox used to have a tradition based around the song "hit the road Jack"?I don't know, but the Bulls play it when an opponent fouls out.

TomBradley72
04-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm willing to give Lori a chance to work into the role- she has a very tough job to fill the shoes of a 41 year old "legend" who was just about flawless in the role.

She's one of "us"- a south side White Sox fan- in her interview on CSN- she seems very excited about the role- with some great ideas- I'll give her a month or two settle in before I start to criticize.

Debuting in your job in front of 38000 fans (who obsess about things like the "patch" on the shoulder. :cool: ) can't be easy.

Whitesox029
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Do we really want a Nancy clone?
Is it wrong for me to answer yes to this question?

FoulTerritory
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Do we really want a Nancy clone?

I think the general consensus here is that we merely want the new organist to incorporate a couple of our most beloved Nancy traditions, like the Na Na Na after some homeruns or after the last out of wins.

Other than that, I'd hope she would develop her own identity and become part of new traditions, and that seems to be the common sentiment of the fans here.

I think the only way this doesn't work is that she alienates the fan base by not carrying ANY of Nancy's (our) organ music traditions, but we certainly aren't asking for a clone.

Dsell93
04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I emailed Brooks last night about the situation and he replied: "That tradition is not going anywhere. Our games operations staff missed that one."

As promised, I just heard Lori's version of it played after a pitching change. Rest easy fellow Sox fans :D:

SI1020
04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I emailed Brooks last night about the situation and he replied: "That tradition is not going anywhere. Our games operations staff missed that one."

As promised, I just heard Lori's version of it played after a pitching change. Rest easy fellow Sox fans :D: In other words you get told what to play and when to play it?

soxnut1018
04-09-2011, 03:16 AM

As promised, I just heard Lori's version of it played after a pitching change. Rest easy fellow Sox fans :D:

I was at the game and I didn't really like her version of it. It was too peppy and it just went into the Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye part and didn't have any lead up. But at least it looks like the tradition will continue.

hula
04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
My personal hope is they soon realize they can't replace Nancy, so they will just stop having an organist altogether.

Wouldn't it be sad if that's what the plan is? To give the fans a organist who doesn't have a chance in hell of making people happy. No one will ever fill Nancy's shoe's (I loved those cute baseball shoes she wore!), how could they? She's unique and is irreplaceable. So Sox fans will complain and management will say, well, we tried, but the fans didn't go for it so we'll just scrap the organ completely.

I personally don't want that to be what happens. Lori's not Nancy and won't be. She'll have her own style and we'll have to go with the flow on that and let her settle in, let her have a chance to settle in. I can't imagine what she might feel like if she reads the comments here. She'd either have to have some pretty thick skin and say you know what, I love the Sox, I love playing the organ, I'll take some of these comments as sugggestions rather than criticisims and see what I can do, but I want to do this! I'm a musician too and I can only imagine what a thrill it would be to be in Lori's shoes and how scary too. Yeah, Take Me Out To The Ballgame was a bit too fast and it would be nice if she could slow it down so the fans could savor it, but who knows, maybe mgmt told her to speed that up too!

I hope she makes it. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be if she didn't, not just for the fans, but for her..... :(:

Fenway
04-09-2011, 10:57 AM
In other words you get told what to play and when to play it?
That is what I have been trying to tell you....Lori does what she is told. Nancy had the same restriction.

SI1020
04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
That is what I have been trying to tell you....Lori does what she is told. Nancy had the same restriction. I believed you all along. I remember the long interview at WGN where Nancy described losing the authority to be spontaneous. The organist has the head phones or whatever on and has to follow instructions. Why not just cut the hypocrisy and go to canned hip hop and techno? That's what most everyone wants isn't it?

gobears1987
04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I believed you all along. I remember the long interview at WGN where Nancy described losing the authority to be spontaneous. The organist has the head phones or whatever on and has to follow instructions. Why not just cut the hypocrisy and go to canned hip hop and techno? That's what most everyone wants isn't it?

Find me those people who actually want that ****. I think it's pretty clear that the people at the ballpark want the organ.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
SI:

With respect don't count me in among those who want hip-hop and techno.

Personally I can't stand that ****.

Lip

SI1020
04-09-2011, 12:57 PM
SI:

Lip Neither can I. It's just those nameless faceless "focus" groups we are told that want the Sox to get with it and be hip and modern. Prior to Nancy the Sox employed Shay Torrent (who became the Angels organist in 1965) and Bob Creed, who were recording artists in addition to their ball park duties. It's a great tradition the Sox have. Nancy was incomparable but was eased out over time no doubt about it. I just don't believe in my heart of hearts that ownership and their marketing and PR arms see it the same way that you and I do.

doublem23
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Find me those people who actually want that ****. I think it's pretty clear that the people at the ballpark want the organ.

There are plenty of people who prefer the canned music to the organ. People are actually allowed to have opinions other than yours, you know.

GoGoCrede
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
There are plenty of people who prefer the canned music to the organ. People are actually allowed to have opinions other than yours, you know.

Agreed. I'm sure there are scads of fans - casual and hardcore - who don't care one way or another. Some probably don't even know Nancy is gone.

doublem23
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
SI:

Lip

And how many Sox games have you been to in the last few years, Lip?

gobears1987
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM

I seriously doubt that a sizable portion of those attending Sox games want to hear the "everybody clap their hands" crap that gets recycled over and over again.

Fenway
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I *think* the Cubs are the only team that relies mainly on organ music - Red Sox and NYY have a nice mix of both but Boston uses more classic rock than new stuff - but they signed a deal with CBS owned WZLX to select the playlist.

But teams hire people to 'produce' the game experience and they all come from the minor leagues where organ music has been eliminated.

Yesterday the 'script' for the Fenway home opener was 32 pages ....

I had to fight them as a video tribute I edited for Lou Gorman was considered too long - and then they didn't like the song I selected - but they ran it on scoreboard intact.

Song BTW was Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg which was perfect if you knew Lou.

manders_01
04-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't it be sad if that's what the plan is? To give the fans a organist who doesn't have a chance in hell of making people happy. No one will ever fill Nancy's shoe's (I loved those cute baseball shoes she wore!), how could they? She's unique and is irreplaceable. So Sox fans will complain and management will say, well, we tried, but the fans didn't go for it so we'll just scrap the organ completely.

I personally don't want that to be what happens. Lori's not Nancy and won't be. She'll have her own style and we'll have to go with the flow on that and let her settle in, let her have a chance to settle in. I can't imagine what she might feel like if she reads the comments here. She'd either have to have some pretty thick skin and say you know what, I love the Sox, I love playing the organ, I'll take some of these comments as sugggestions rather than criticisims and see what I can do, but I want to do this! I'm a musician too and I can only imagine what a thrill it would be to be in Lori's shoes and how scary too. Yeah, Take Me Out To The Ballgame was a bit too fast and it would be nice if she could slow it down so the fans could savor it, but who knows, maybe mgmt told her to speed that up too!

I hope she makes it. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be if she didn't, not just for the fans, but for her..... :(:

Excellent post, well said.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Double:

Three last year:

vs. Seattle on July 29th
vs. Oakland on July 30th
vs. Oakland on August 1st.

Lip

BainesHOF
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Let's give Lori a chance. She's a fellow Sox fan. She deserves time to get comfortable and develop her own style. I'm rooting for her.

SI1020
04-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Let's give Lori a chance. She's a fellow Sox fan. She deserves time to get comfortable and develop her own style. I'm rooting for her. Absolutely.

Frontman
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Let's give Lori a chance. She's a fellow Sox fan. She deserves time to get comfortable and develop her own style. I'm rooting for her.

Absolutely. She'll do just fine, given a chance.

bridgeportcopper
04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I *think* the Cubs are the only team that relies mainly on organ music - Red Sox and NYY have a nice mix of both but Boston uses more classic rock than new stuff - but they signed a deal with CBS owned WZLX to select the playlist.

But teams hire people to 'produce' the game experience and they all come from the minor leagues where organ music has been eliminated.

Yesterday the 'script' for the Fenway home opener was 32 pages ....

I had to fight them as a video tribute I edited for Lou Gorman was considered too long - and then they didn't like the song I selected - but they ran it on scoreboard intact.

Song BTW was Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg which was perfect if you knew Lou.

Fens, I saw this on the NESN broadcast that was on the extra innings package...nice job! I too, wondered about the song choice when I heard it, but if you say it fit him...then I get it.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I went to the game today and I think she was so much better than she was on Opening Day. There were a few things I noticed though, I think she is still playing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" too quickly and also I think she is playing a sort of church organ whereas I think Nancy played a Hammond B3 Organ which is what some rock bands use, the church organ sounds much more somber. There was a moment where she had a solo in between the eighth and the ninth and it really sounded a bit like a funeral dirge. I think that that is because of the difference of organs though.

dickallen15
04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I went to the game today and I think she was so much better than she was on Opening Day. There were a few things I noticed though, I think she is still playing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" too quickly and also I think she is playing a sort of church organ whereas I think Nancy played a Hammond B3 Organ which is what some rock bands use, the church organ sounds much more somber. There was a moment where she had a solo in between the eighth and the ninth and it really sounded a bit like a funeral dirge. I think that that is because of the difference of organs though.

Did you notice she broke into "Smoke on the Water" at 4:20? I know the song is supposed to be about some fire at a casino on Lake Geneva in Switzerland, but many think it has something to do with bongs.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Did you notice she broke into "Smoke on the Water" at 4:20? I know the song is supposed to be about some fire on Lake Geneva in Switzerland, but many think it has something to do with bongs.

I did notice she played that, I didn't notice the time. I thought she sounded great today except for the 7th inning stretch and that weird bit (but that was more because of her organ than any way of playing).

manders_01
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Did you notice she broke into "Smoke on the Water" at 4:20? I know the song is supposed to be about some fire on Lake Geneva in Switzerland, but many think it has something to do with bongs.

I heard it on the telecast, though didn't notice the time, and wondered if something was going on with Dunn. In her pregame interview on OD, she mentioned she wanted to use that song for him so the whole stadium could join in on the "Dunn Dunn Dunn, etc." So I thought maybe he was doing something to cause her to play it.

Dsell93
04-09-2011, 10:43 PM
That would be very clever if the GP caught on! Can't wait to see a game

GlassSox
04-09-2011, 11:39 PM

I agree: Take me out to the ball game was way too fast and whatever that was between the 8th & 9th was absolutely horrible.

doublem23
04-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I seriously doubt that a sizable portion of those attending Sox games want to hear the "everybody clap their hands" crap that gets recycled over and over again.

Oh, so that one piece of canned music is bad, so obviously, EVERYONE hates all canned music? FWIW, I was down in Sec. 108 today, and a lot of people around me were dancing whenever they played pop, canned music. You're going to have to accept the fact that probably, the people who prefer all organ to all canned music are in the minority, and are the people who would come to the park no matter what, if the Sox are trying to appeal to the average, fair weather fan, they're going to play pop, rock, and rap. It's not a big deal.

Hendu
04-10-2011, 01:31 AM
People eat up that 'everybody clap your hands' stuff. Saw it today. I thought Lori was OK but she plays so infrquently that when she does play, it's easy to critique. I actually didn't mind the church-sounding organ but it is weird when it comes out of nowhere. I hope she gets to play more and this isn't a winding down thing.

Frontman
04-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Lori will get better. She'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Dsell93
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
People eat up that 'everybody clap your hands' stuff. Saw it today. I thought Lori was OK but she plays so infrquently that when she does play, it's easy to critique. I actually didn't mind the church-sounding organ but it is weird when it comes out of nowhere. I hope she gets to play more and this isn't a winding down thing.

I agree, I'd like to hear much more since all of the plate intros are canned anyway (Although Konerko's Harvester of Sorrow one I fully support) :cool:

Fenway
04-10-2011, 01:19 PM

The organ is the same...but Nancy also brought in an extra keyboard that she owned to make it sound like a B3.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0323/pg2_nancy_faust1_576.jpg

Lori doesn't have that option
http://cbswjmk.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/lori-moreland.jpg?w=385&h=240

BUT we can't say she doesn't love the White Sox

http://www.wbez.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/665x500/story/photo/2011-April/2011-04-06/IMG_4606.JPG

Dsell93
04-10-2011, 01:42 PM
But she took Omar's number! That's a no no

Noneck
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
But she took Omar's number! That's a no no

Its Looies

Dsell93
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Beckham/Konerko's HRs had no accompaniment

Crooked Number
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Second game this year ive been to with my dad, and each time he has exclaimed "I can't hear the song the organ is playing, its just CHORDS!!!". I keep telling him to give the new organist a chance, but man he is having a hard time with it.

She also played "Na na na...Goodbye" today after just a mound visit, Niemen hadn't left the game yet. It was kind of awkward for the people in our section. "The Tampa pitcher is still in , why is she playing that?"

Oh well, gonna take some time to get used to the new gig. It doesn't bother me as much as others.

SephClone89
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I agree, I'd like to hear much more since all of the plate intros are canned anyway (Although Konerko's Harvester of Sorrow one I fully support) :cool:

"Your Love" is blatantly the best Sox walk-up song. Period.

Frontman
04-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Second game this year ive been to with my dad, and each time he has exclaimed "I can't hear the song the organ is playing, its just CHORDS!!!". I keep telling him to give the new organist a chance, but man he is having a hard time with it.

She also played "Na na na...Goodbye" today after just a mound visit, Niemen hadn't left the game yet. It was kind of awkward for the people in our section. "The Tampa pitcher is still in , why is she playing that?"

Oh well, gonna take some time to get used to the new gig. It doesn't bother me as much as others.

She'll get the hang of it if fans give her a chance. Nancy I'm sure wasn't perfect when she first started either.

jdm2662
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I was at the game today. I thought the stuff that was played was well done, but would like to see a better flow to the game action. I'm sure after time, once she develops her own system, it will be a good game experience.

HomeFish
04-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Does the organist receive electronic notice of the pitching change?

Fenway
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Does the organist receive electronic notice of the pitching change?

That is why she wears a headset...

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Beckham/Konerko's HRs had no accompaniment

For the past several years, including day games in which Nancy played, they have been playing some dumb canned thing fo rthis.