PDA

View Full Version : Just looking at a 1998 scorecard...

Tragg
07-04-2002, 11:44 PM
from a Sox/Mariners game I had the misfortune of watching in the kingdome (Navarro walked the bases loaded in the 10th and then gave up a sac fly en route to a 4 game mariner sweep).
Anyway, the Mariners, who won 76 games that year, have only 3 players left from that roster: Moyer, Dan Wilson and Edgar.
The Sox, who won 80 games (by virtue of a tear that began right after that Mariner series led by Belle - we were 16 or 17 games under after that mid-August series) have 5 players left: Foulke, Howry, Durham, Thomas and Ordonez (6 if you count parque).

Now I realize that Seattle got a lot of young players from their earlier trade of Johnson plus the subsequent trade of Griffey (although they lost young players in aquiring Timlin and Slocumb in 1997). But that's a quick roster makeover and team development in 4 short years.
The Sox made a fairly signficant Roster makeover too, although not as successful.

I don't know what this means, except that this can be done relatively quickly.

TheBigHurt
07-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Seattle has the best GM in baseball... whats his name again??

too bad we have KW :angry:

Jerry_Manuel
07-05-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
Seattle has the best GM in baseball... whats his name again??

too bad we have KW :angry:

Pat Gillick (sp?)

He wouldn't be doing so hot if he was here.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Pat Gillick (sp?)

He wouldn't be doing so hot if he was here.

Of course not. Considering people flipped out over trading James Baldwin, he would have been crucified here for trading Griffey and Johnson and letting Rodriguez go.

Jerry_Manuel
07-05-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Of course not. Considering people flipped out over trading James Baldwin, he would have been crucified here for trading Griffey and Johnson and letting Rodriguez go.

True, but I meant from a money standpoint.