PDA

View Full Version : Brent Morel Wins 3B Job

DirtySox
03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/378926935/Crasnick_head_shot_normal.jpg
jcrasnick (http://twitter.com/#%21/jcrasnick) Jerry Crasnick
Just heard that the #whitesox (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23whitesox) have informed Brent Morel that he's won the starting 3B job #espn (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23espnst)
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/jcrasnick/status/49505628149911552)

Not that this should surprise anyone.

Marqhead
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Really looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

DickAllen72
03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Yay! :thumbsup:

MARTINMVP
03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm pleased to hear this. I hope that Morel can get comfortable in the lineup everyday and be a real contributor.

While I realize it may not be "smart" to root against any White Sox player, I was getting a bit worried when I kept hearing how good Teahen has supposedly been this spring.

cws05champ
03-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm pleased to hear this. I hope that Morel can get comfortable in the lineup everyday and be a real contributor.

While I realize it may not be "smart" to root against any White Sox player, I was getting a bit worried when I kept hearing how good Teahen has supposedly been this spring.
Teahen just looks so unnatural over there at 3B, not just his movements but his throwing motion and everything. Here's hoping the kid can hit .250 + and play great defense.

SoxSpeed22
03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Good for Brent. As long as he brings the defense and takes away hits, I'll be all right with him. Just make sure he's hitting 9th.

soltrain21
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Awesome. Now only if we can get rid of Teahen.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Yay! :smile:

ChiSoxGal85
03-20-2011, 01:17 PM
:thumbsup: Like! Love his D, and I bet he improves at the plate this year.

Streets
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
This makes me happy.

russ99
03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Alright. Go get em, kid.

But the whiners should realize that Teahen is still a good bench player and he will get some playing time, usually on Ozzie's Sunday lineups.

Over By There
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Good. Looking forward to watching him this year.

DirtySox
03-20-2011, 02:39 PM
But the whiners should realize that Teahen is still a good bench player and he will get some playing time, usually on Ozzie's Sunday lineups.

I expect him in RF plenty. And I think Teahen has given us a fair amount to whine about. It is quite justified.

SOXSINCE'70
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM

With his salary, an Aerosmith song title comes to mind:

"Dream On".:(:

soxinem1
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
I just hope he doesn't get benched after going 2-4 Opening Day.

doublem23
03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
With his salary, an Aerosmith song title comes to mind:

"Dream On".:(:

Easier than you think.

http://www.worldofstock.com/thumbs/MES3818.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I just hope he doesn't get benched after going 2-4 Opening Day.

Exactly. This better not devolve into a platoon situation starting in Game 2.

soxlady8
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Congrats to BM !!
I still hope that Teahen can be very useful off the bench !!

DickAllen72
03-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Alright. Go get em, kid.

As long as it's at 1B, PH or maybe a corner OF spot that's OK I guess. But if Morel needs a day off or is pulled for a pinch hitter, it better be Vizquel at 3B, not Teahen.

doublem23
03-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Alright. Go get em, kid.

What exactly is good about Teahen? The way he plays the field like he's in T-ball or the way he hits for no average, no power, and has no speed?

The only attribute about Teahen that is Major League-caliber is his ****ing salary.

Whitesox029
03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Ozzie's 2 for 2 on position decisions now as far as I'm concerned, counting Thornton.
Side note: I've been in attendance for every one of Brent's major league home runs!-- All 2 of them.

soltrain21
03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Alright. Go get em, kid.

What is he good at? Not fielding, or running, or hitting.

sullythered
03-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Alright. Go get em, kid.

Teahen is not a good anything player. He doesn't deserve a roster spot.

guillensdisciple
03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
This is good news. I remember reading an article two years ago comparing fielding percentages and games lost or won by teams based on who is fielding where. We sucked in 2009 because our defense was pretty atrocious, and last year we were much improved because of the improvement in Alexei, Rios, Beckham, Vizquel, Pierre, etc. Adding Teahen into the mix will probably cost us a game or two and his bat sure as hell won't win us a game or two. Offensively they are a wash to me considering they will bat 9th anyway, but defensively you have to take the superior glove of Morel and put it into an infield that has quality gloves in it already.

thomas35forever
03-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Way to go, Brent!

Teahen, you suck.

Foulke You
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Ozzie and Kenny are making all the right decisions so far this Spring. Glad they are finally on the side of defense. I just hope they give Morel the same slack they gave Crede and Beckham to develop.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-21-2011, 07:47 AM

No Bullfighter at 3rd makes RHPH a calmer Sox fan.

Ole'! :angry:

Chez
03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
I think this is the right call. But for all his talk about loving defense, Ozzie has had a short leash on "defense-first" players like Brian Anderson and has regularly resorted to offense over defense (e.g. Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Swisher in CF). Lots of Teahen hate on this board, but I'm glad we've got him on the bench as insurance if Morel doesn't pan out.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 08:35 AM
I think this is the right call. But for all his talk about loving defense, Ozzie has had a short leash on "defense-first" players like Brian Anderson and has regularly resorted to offense over defense (e.g. Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Swisher in CF). Lots of Teahen hate on this board, but I'm glad we've got him on the bench as insurance if Morel doesn't pan out.

What insurance does he provide? I thought Mark had pretty demonstratively proved last season that he cannot play third base. At all. Unless you can find a way to prevent the ball from being hit to Alexei's right side, Teahen is not a realistic option at 3B. Not for a team expecting to compete, anyway.

russ99
03-21-2011, 09:01 AM
What exactly is good about Teahen? The way he plays the field like he's in T-ball or the way he hits for no average, no power, and has no speed?

The only attribute about Teahen that is Major League-caliber is his ****ing salary.

People need to get a grip. Are you expecting all-stars to come off our bench? What's considered "Major League Caliber", someone able to start for the Yankees??

Compared to 10th-15th bench players around the league, Teahen is average at all of the above things except defense.

But it looks like you clowns are going to have a hissie fit every time he's in a game... and he's going to play.

Can't wait for the constant slams at Ozzie yet again this year for just using his bench.

SephClone89
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
People need to get a grip. Are you expecting all-stars to come off our bench? What's considered "Major League Caliber", someone able to start for the Yankees??

Compared to 10th-15th bench players around the league, Teahen is average at all of the above things except defense.

But it looks like you clowns are going to have a hissie fit every time he's in a game... and he's going to play.

Can't wait for the constant slams at Ozzie yet again this year for just using his bench.

Yeah, I hate the fact that for some people here you're either an All-Star or you "suck at baseball."

doublem23
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM

WHAT DOES HE BRING TO THIS TEAM? He's below average to terrible defensively at every position I've seen him play, he hits for a low BA, he has zero power, and doesn't even run that well. WHAT VALUE DOES HE HAVE? Any career AAAA player like De Aza, Milledge, or Lillibridge could easily replace him and the Sox wouldn't skip a beat. Hell, they'd be better off, all of those guys at least has one skill that is Major League-worthy.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I hate the fact that for some people here you're either an All-Star or you "suck at baseball."

FIND THE ****IN POST WHERE SOMEONE NOTES THAT.

Teahen's living off that career year in 2006. Since then he's been all crap. All crap. There's not one thing he brings to a team that has aspirations of winning its division.

BringHomeDaBacon
03-21-2011, 10:56 AM
"We're all in" - the White Sox

"Good luck on your fifth starter draw sir" - the dealer

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
"We're all in" - the White Sox

"Good luck on your fifth starter draw sir" - the dealer

Well that makes sense for this discussion, yeah.

DonnieDarko
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Nice how a topic about Brent Morel turns into one about Mark Teahen.

Oh, that's right. WSI. Forgive me.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice how a topic about Brent Morel turns into one about Mark Teahen.

Oh, that's right. WSI. Forgive me.

Yeah, how would we ever connect those two? :scratch:

DonnieDarko
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I just find it funny that people think that Teahen is going to get more than a very small amount of time at 3B (which many would say is a bad thing, but I digress) is all. Now of course, we still have Ozzie as the manager, but still. Even he has to realize that Teahen shouldn't ever, ever, ever start at 3B ever again.

...right?

doublem23
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I just find it funny that people think that Teahen is going to get more than a very small amount of time at 3B (which many would say is a bad thing, but I digress) is all. Now of course, we still have Ozzie as the manager, but still. Even he has to realize that Teahen shouldn't ever, ever, ever start at 3B ever again.

...right?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Just pray that Morel gets off to a blistering start this April, otherwise we may very well be treated to the Mark Teahen Error Show 2-3 times per week.

#1swisher
03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Scott Merkin (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110320&content_id=17036390&notebook_id=17036384&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws)

It's news to Morel that he's the starting third baseman.

Carolina Kenny
03-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Congratulations Brent.

Good luck in your rookie year. May you have a long and great WS career.

You have the opportunity to be a better player than most who came before you:

Teahen
Kevin Bell
Vance Law

GoSox2K3
03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
WHAT DOES HE BRING TO THIS TEAM? He's below average to terrible defensively at every position I've seen him play, he hits for a low BA, he has zero power, and doesn't even run that well. WHAT VALUE DOES HE HAVE? Any career AAAA player like De Aza, Milledge, or Lillibridge could easily replace him and the Sox wouldn't skip a beat. Hell, they'd be better off, all of those guys at least has one skill that is Major League-worthy.

Hey, russ is just in mid season form. Any legitimate concerns about a player being terrible either offensively or defensively is "whining" and part of the same old "Ozzie-bashing".

I just hope we indeed see mostly Morel and Vizquel at 3B. Ozzie says Morel is there to play defense and we don't need him to hit since the rest of the lineup is loaded. That sounds an awful lot like what he said about Anderson in 2006. Yes, I expect Morel to be better than BA and certainly to have a better attitude, but excuse me for realizing that I've heard this "all he needs to do is play defense" story before.

rdwj
03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
VERY happy about this. I think a sharp-fielding 3B really helps the pitching staff. With the offense this team has, anything Brent gives us is just a bonus.

asindc
03-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey, russ is just in mid season form. Any legitimate concerns about a player being terrible either offensively or defensively is "whining" and part of the same old "Ozzie-bashing".

I just hope we indeed see mostly Morel and Vizquel at 3B. Ozzie says Morel is there to play defense and we don't need him to hit since the rest of the lineup is loaded. That sounds an awful lot like what he said about Anderson in 2006. Yes, I expect Morel to be better than BA and certainly to have a better attitude, but excuse me for realizing that I've heard this "all he needs to do is play defense" story before.

I bolded what I think is the most salient part of your post.:smile:

russ99
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Those are legitimate concerns as an everyday player, not for a bench guy, which is my entire point. The sticking point is the assumption that because a guy is below average defensively, he's useless.

There are others on this team who also could be considered below average defensively that aren't subjected to this constant criticism. I guess some fans just have to have a whipping boy.

If Teahen were dealt, who's next on the parade of guys deemed "bad at baseball"?

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Those are legitimate concerns as an everyday player, not for a bench guy, which is my entire point. The sticking point is the assumption that because a guy is below average defensively, he's useless.

There are others on this team who also could be considered below average defensively that aren't subjected to this constant criticism. I guess some fans just have to have a whipping boy.

If Teahen were dealt, who's next on the parade of guys deemed "bad at baseball"?

Usually bench players have one redeemable quality that makes them, you know, valuable. Fast, defensive replacement, whatever. Teahen has none of those. He isn't fast. He sucks at every position he plays and his offense could be brought by pretty much anybody.

He sucks. Bench or everyday player. He sucks. Yes, he is bad at baseball on a professional level. Why do you take such offense to it? Are you Mark Teahen?

Chez
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Mark Kotsay in absentia.

russ99
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Usually bench players have one redeemable quality that makes them, you know, valuable. Fast, defensive replacement, whatever. Teahen has none of those. He isn't fast. He sucks at every position he plays and his offense could be brought by pretty much anybody.

He sucks. Bench or everyday player. He sucks. Yes, he is bad at baseball on a professional level. Why do you take such offense to it? Are you Mark Teahen?

He's a big league experienced hitter from the left side with career numbers at .268/.330/.415. But I guess that has no value at all.

I take offense at the idea around here that in order to be considered as a useful player, a guy has to be either great at one aspect of his game or have a cheap salary.

There seems to be no in-between, and when our manager uses these players like every other big league manager does, he's considered either an idiot or playing favorites.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM

The other players on this team that are below average defensively have other redeamable qualities... TCQ is a monster bat when his head is on straight, Juan Pierre still has wheels and is a traditional lead-off hitter, even AJ has some sort of intangible qualities that a lot of people respect. All of them get ragged on from time to time for their defense, but they are all capable MLB players. They belong on a Major League roster.

Teahen has none of these things. Not only is he hysterically awful in the field, he has limited power, doesn't hit for average, and can't steal a base to save his life. There is literally nothing he adds to this team. He's just a warm body.

I suspect the "next whipping boy" will be the next guy the Sox bring along who is also truly awful at baseball.

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Personally, I just get tired of

1. People bitching about him. He's not going anywhere. He's going to be on the team. Get over it.
2. Listening to people who probably can't successfully hit whiffle balls label pro baseball players "bad at baseball".

doublem23
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
He's a big league experienced hitter from the left side with career numbers at .268/.330/.415. But I guess that has no value at all.

I take offense at the idea around here that in order to be considered as a useful player, a guy has to be either great at one aspect of his game or have a cheap salary.

There seems to be no in-between, and when our manager uses these players like every other big league manager does, he's considered either an idiot or playing favorites.

Where has anyone said you have to be great at something to be worthy as a bench player? WHERE WAS THAT POSTED?

You do, however, have to be able to do SOMETHING. Be a defensive replacement. Be a productive pinch hitter. Be a pinch runner. SOMETHING. What scenario would you ever think to yourself, "what we need right now is some Mark Teahen." The answer is if you're 30 games under .500 and trying to get fired.

Here's Teahen's career arc:
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/4511_3BOF_season_mini_8_20101003.png

Down is bad.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 02:11 PM

1. People bitching about him. He's not going anywhere. He's going to be on the team. Get over it.
2. Listening to people who probably can't successfully hit whiffle balls label pro baseball players "bad at baseball".

Yeah, exactly, when I call out Mark Teahen for sucking, I am also, between the lines, expecting the Sox to call me up to replace him. :rolleyes:

BTW, I played high school baseball, so by your football coaching logic, that makes me an expert on the subject. CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS, BROSEPH

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, exactly, when I call out Mark Teahen for sucking, I am also, between the lines, expecting the Sox to call me up to replace him. :rolleyes:

BTW, I played high school baseball, so by your football coaching logic, that makes me an expert on the subject. CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS, BROSEPH
What the hell is a broseph?

shingo10
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Congrats to Brent Morel!

Now I can not wait until about April 3rd when everyone starts calling for the Sox to do something about the 3b position.

sullythered
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Ok. He's bad at Major League Baseball.

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 03:03 PM

No worse than using a screen name of a person that, you know, you aren't. And I wasn't aware you followed my baseball career since my youth. Thanks for that.

DumpJerry
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
No worse than using a screen name of a person that, you know, you aren't. And I wasn't aware you followed my baseball career since my youth. Thanks for that.
We have many people here whose screen names are current and former players. Nobody ever suspected that these people are actually the player (the only real one is Nellie Fox).

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
We have many people here whose screen names are current and former players. Nobody ever suspected that these people are actually the player (the only real one is Nellie Fox).

I'm well aware of that. But to say we can't criticize someone because we don't play professional baseball is ridiculous. So I was making an equally ridiculous claim.

gobears1987
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-08n-uAOFQSI/TXB4hzVhBYI/AAAAAAAAAx0/2qqXxE34Pcc/s320/Roger%2BDorn.jpg
Hey, I resemble that remark!

gobears1987
03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Wow, who would think that someone would use their favorite player as a screen name on a baseball site? Posers, all of them.

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, who would think that someone would use their favorite player as a screen name on a baseball site? Posers, all of them.

As Randar said in the Big Ten thread, "Keep Up."

doublem23
03-21-2011, 03:29 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-08n-uAOFQSI/TXB4hzVhBYI/AAAAAAAAAx0/2qqXxE34Pcc/s320/Roger%2BDorn.jpg
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Don't give me any more of this ole bull****!

Actually, Roger Dorn might be the best nickname ever for Teahen. If he has a hot wife, I think we can start the campaign.

gobears1987
03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't give me any more of this ole bull****!

Actually, Roger Dorn might be the best nickname ever for Teahen. If he has a hot wife, I think we can start the campaign.

I can go with that nickname.

"I thought you said we didn't have any high priced talent."

"Dorn's just high priced."

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow. You got me.

And I wasn't saying you can't criticize him, but the Teahen haters like to make it sound like the guy is incapable of walking and chewing gum. As if anyone, themselves included, could do better. It gets old.

Tragg
03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
"What did you expect me to do? Dive for it?"

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Wow. You got me.

And I wasn't saying you can't criticize him, but the Teahen haters like to make it sound like the guy is incapable of walking and chewing gum. As if anyone, themselves included, could do better. It gets old.

Who cares if we can't do it better? That's such a lame thing to be mad about. If the "rules" were that we can't talk about something if we can't do it better than the other person than, hell, just shut down the clubhouse, talking baseball, what's the score and just about 95 percent of the parking lot.

Domeshot17
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
If Timo Perez could find playing time on a World Series team, then Mark Teahen can probably be the 24th or 25th guy on the roster. The extension was moronic, he will never earn what he is paid, but he is just a vanilla bench player.

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
If Timo Perez could find playing time on a World Series team, then Mark Teahen can probably be the 24th or 25th guy on the roster. The extension was moronic, he will never earn what he is paid, but he is just a vanilla bench player.

At least Timo was fast and had a knack for getting on base when he had to.

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Who said I was mad?

I'm just tired of endless bitching about someone that isn't going anywhere.

doublem23
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Who said I was mad?

I'm just tired of endless bitching about someone that isn't going anywhere.

I am tired of people bitching about people bitching about bad baseball players.

soltrain21
03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I am tired of people bitching about people bitching about bad baseball players.

Our opinions are worth a grain of salt, though. No way we make a throwing error as graceful as Teahen.

DirtySox
03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales
Teahen to start in RF on Tuesday, Oz said Sox leaning toward 12 pitches but wants to check with the GM, cuts coming Tuesday.
21 minutes ago

#1swisher
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Ozzie, Teahen comment on playing in the outfield.http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/3779/teahen-morel-taking-3b-battle-down-to-wire

BringHomeDaBacon
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM

This is why even someone like Willie Harris is a better bench player than Teahen.

TheVulture
03-22-2011, 02:41 AM

Who says political correctness hasn't run amuck?

Next thing you know, you'll have to worry about offending people over your theory that bunting has no use in a modern day offense, because you are just giving up an out.

Where does it end, my fellow Americans? Where does it end?

TomBradley72
03-22-2011, 07:33 AM
If KW could find someone to take Scott Linebrink- I will hold out hope that we can move Mark Teahen.

cards press box
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
If KW could find someone to take Scott Linebrink- I will hold out hope that we can move Mark Teahen.

Florida may or may not start Matt Dominguez at 3B this year. Dominguez was at AA last year and had a great start to the spring. He has struggled lately with the bat and the Marlins are considering sending him to AAA to start the year. Florida might have some interest in Teahen although I would imagine that the Sox would have to pay some of his salary to get the deal done.

MISoxfan
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Teahens splits against righties are fine, he can pinch hit against righties. He'll also be fine spot starting at corner outfield positions to spell guys without the huge offensive dropoffs that late inning defensive replacement type players often bring. He's fine on the bench, he just doesn't earn his salary.

DirtySox
03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
While the Sox still haven't made it official, it is hard to think otherwise.

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1281100822/IMG00105-20110306-1349_normal.jpg
CST_soxvan (http://twitter.com/#%21/CST_soxvan) Daryl Van Schouwen
Teahen playing right today, first weds
2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/CST_soxvan/status/50260839764201472)

DirtySox
03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe now it's officially official?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6255016

SephClone89
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe now it's officially official?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6255016

Well, that's a crappily written article.

spawn
03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
While the Sox still haven't made it official, it is hard to think otherwise.

I was sitting with other Sox fans at the game yesterday, and we commented how Teahen has no business at 3rd. We then watched him drop a routine popup in foul territory while playing 1st. There was a popup to end the same inning with which he received a Bronx cheer because he caught it.