PDA

View Full Version : JR and White Sox praised in Boston Globe

Fenway
03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Nick Carfardo in his Sunday MLB notes looks at how underpaid scouts are but points out the White Sox are one of the exceptions in taking care of their development people.

(second story)
Scouts, development personnel need a raise (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/20/a_pressurized_situation_for_red_sox_closer/?page=full)

Taliesinrk
03-20-2011, 08:52 AM
not to be a debbie-downer... but if we're talking about development here, maybe the Sox should try to model their system after most of the rest of MLB

DrCrawdad
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Nick Carfardo in his Sunday MLB notes looks at how underpaid scouts are but points out the White Sox are one of the exceptions in taking care of their development people.

(second story)
Scouts, development personnel need a raise (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/20/a_pressurized_situation_for_red_sox_closer/?page=full)

Thanks for posting this.

Remember when the commonly held view was that the Sox organization was a terrible place and ex-Sox players wanted nothing to do with the team? Now the organization is teaming with former players and the org. gets this positive opine article.

rookie
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
That was a good article. I think it's just a symptom of larger society not looking at the bigger picture. Early childhood teachers receive lower pay and less respect for their field even though most of a person's learning and development occur during these years.

We place a lot of emphasis on the end result and not enough on the process.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Like Johnny Sain once said, "folks don't care about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby!"

:D:

Lip

Daver
03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
That was a good article. I think it's just a symptom of larger society not looking at the bigger picture. Early childhood teachers receive lower pay and less respect for their field even though most of a person's learning and development occur during these years.

We place a lot of emphasis on the end result and not enough on the process.

The first step in the learning process is learning how to learn, without that ability you will never fail to fail, it is the easiest thing to do.

As far as the article goes, what is his criteria? The Twins employ a lot of part time scouts, that are full time college and HS coaches that get paid to fill out scouting reports for the Twins, are their salaries being used in the comparison?

The White Sox can pay their scouts better, because they have one of the lower number of actual scouts on staff, I would have to think that if they increased the staff the salaries would go down, as the budget for scouting would not increase.

All in all I found that part of the article to be little more than filler.