PDA

View Full Version : Players may set strike date at Monday meeting

Jerry_Manuel
07-04-2002, 11:23 PM
No need to worry about losses like tonight, or how many games we have left vs. Minnesota.

Strike (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0704/1402139.html)

duke of dorwood
07-04-2002, 11:33 PM
As before, they will play as long as they can so they can get paid well into the season, right? You are right-tonights debacle almost seems incidental with this stuff looming.

captain54
07-04-2002, 11:41 PM
I never thought I'd say it but C'MON STRIke!!

Spare me of this misery......

Tragg
07-04-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
No need to worry about losses like tonight, or how many games we have left vs. Minnesota.

Strike (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0704/1402139.html)

They are insane. And the owners who want them to strike are equally insane.
And when they start fighting about steroids (actually, probably won't - i doubt either side want steroid testing - but the public does) it will become more comical.

duke of dorwood
07-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Too many MAJOR issues to avoid this one.

kermittheefrog
07-05-2002, 11:03 AM
One thing to remember is a work stoppage doesn't have to be like the one in 94. A strike could mean a strike of a couple weeks or even a couple days. It doesn't necessarily spell doom for the rest of the season.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
One thing to remember is a work stoppage doesn't have to be like the one in 94. A strike could mean a strike of a couple weeks or even a couple days. It doesn't necessarily spell doom for the rest of the season.

True, but the circumstances surrounding this labor impasse would strongly indicate that won't happen.

Specifically, the shorter labor impasses were all influenced by the reigning commissioner. Bowie Kuhn played a role in 1969, Peter Ueberroth in 1985, and (most famously) Faye Vincent in the early-90's. Who is our commissioner today?

:tool
"Hiya! Any resemblence to me and a major league baseball owner are strictly coincidental."

There is no foot on the brake this time--same as 1994-95. I'm predicting the ugliest strike of all time. If the hardliners are discredited and force to accept their failure with the ultimate sign of defeat--that is, selling their clubs, I believe it will be a positive change for baseball.

:reinsy
"I will never sell unless I can't have my way. 3-4 seasons without baseball ought to drive the point through my thick skull."

RKMeibalane
07-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

:reinsy
"I will never sell unless I can't have my way. 3-4 seasons without baseball ought to drive the point through my thick skull."

And if for some reason it doesn't drive the point through your head, I will be sure to crush your skull, Reinsdorf! :angry:

Maggliosfan09
07-05-2002, 05:36 PM
whatever happens, hopefully it won't screw up having the all star game here next year.