PDA

View Full Version : Griffey opens up about retirement

thomas35forever
03-17-2011, 10:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6227136

happydude
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
He's probably my favorite player of all time. God only knows what his numbers would have looked like had he been able to stay healthy; nonetheless, he's a first ballot HOF'er.

WhiteSox5187
03-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I really wish he would have retired after 2009, or have hit one home run at home in 2010 and then quit after that. Oh well, it's hard to know when to walk away I guess.

AnkleSox
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
It's a shame he doesn't have a ring and it's a goddamn shame he couldn't stay healthy and break the home run record instead of that ****er Bonds.

Red Barchetta
03-18-2011, 03:54 PM
He's probably my favorite player of all time. God only knows what his numbers would have looked like had he been able to stay healthy; nonetheless, he's a first ballot HOF'er.

I agree. Both him and Frank Thomas were my favorites from the era and both were impacted by injuries that took away from already HOF numbers. Griffey seemed cursed after leaving Seattle. I felt bad for Red fans.

akingamongstmen
03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
There were few things more fun in the '90s when I was growing up than watching Junior entertain the baseball world during HR Derby with his million watt smile and his hat on backwards. He is an all-time, top-of-the-pantheon great in my book. Prettiest, most efforless looking swing that you'll ever see, too.

TaylorStSox
03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
There's no question in my mind that he's the best player I've ever seen. When we talk about 5 tool players... How many have we (people under 35) truly seen? Griffey, ARod, Henderson... Eric Davis for a short time? Strawberry? I'm sure I'm missing dozens, but it's rare.

doublem23
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
There's no question in my mind that he's the best player I've ever seen. When we talk about 5 tool players... How many have we (people under 35) truly seen? Griffey, ARod, Henderson... Eric Davis for a short time? Strawberry? I'm sure I'm missing dozens, but it's rare.

Bonds

Unfortunately, he likely tainted his rep beyond repair for generations, but look back at his stats from his years in Pittsburgh or his early years in San Francisco. They're still unreal.

Foulke You
03-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Bonds

Unfortunately, he likely tainted his rep beyond repair for generations, but look back at his stats from his years in Pittsburgh or his early years in San Francisco. They're still unreal.
You are correct. He hit 400 HRs and stole 400 bases BEFORE he discovered the chemistry set. He would have been a HOFer but his legacy will forever be his steroid use and his defiant d-bag personality.

WhiteSox5187
03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
You are correct. He hit 400 HRs and stole 400 bases BEFORE he discovered the chemistry set. He would have been a HOFer but his legacy will forever be his steroid use and his defiant d-bag personality.

Not only would Bonds have gone down as a HOFer, but he would have been considered one of the best players who ever drew a breath.