PDA

View Full Version : March 17, 1910

Medford Bobby
03-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Hard to believe that 101 years ago today a special green brick corner stone was laid on St. Patrick's Day at Old Comiskey Park.

Now was this more legend than fact or did they ever find it during demolition???:scratch:

http://memory.loc.gov/ndlpcoop/ichicdn/s0087/s008787.jpg

Lip Man 1
03-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't know if it was green but I don't think they ever found that stone.

The bigger surprise as I said in my This Date In Sox History thread is that they built a steel and concrete stadium in three and a half months!

Lip

Medford Bobby
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM

The bigger surprise as I said in my This Date In Sox History thread is that they built a steel and concrete stadium in three and a half months!

Lip

Maybe help from space aliens!! Must have worked 24 hours a day on it.....but this is amazing for it's technological time period!!

LITTLE NELL
03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I own a brick from the old place and it has a little green on it. (Veeck had the place painted white in 1960 but the base of about 2 or 3 feet was green).

Medford Bobby
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Too bad they did not build a time capsule to be opened upon demolition....could have thrown in a Sox jersey...program...what ever else from that period of time...newspapers....cash....contracts...churros

Soxman24
03-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I own a brick from the old place and it has a little green on it. (Veeck had the place painted white in 1960 but the base of about 2 or 3 feet was green).

I have noticed on the painted side of my brick that there are several layers of the white paint they used for old Comiskey. No green, just think it's neat.

WhiteSox5187
03-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Too bad they did not build a time capsule to be opened upon demolition....could have thrown in a Sox jersey...program...what ever else from that period of time...newspapers....cash....contracts...churros

I really doubt that anyone could have thought that Comiskey would have lasted 80 years when they were building it. It's actually a pretty good idea if you're building a ballpark now though.

Lip Man 1
03-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Nell:

The "interior" walls in left and right field as well as the short wall surrounding the playing surface were painted green. I have one of those bricks...hard to believe it's over a hundred years old now.

Lip

Railsplitter
03-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Lip

Maybe help from space aliens!! Must have worked 24 hours a day on it.....but this is amazing for it's technological time period!!
From what I understand, conctruction was already underway when the cornerstone was laid. Also the work day was probably from sunrise to sunset was from sunrise to sunset back then. Couple this with the fact the upper deck in the ourfield wasn't added until 1927 and the time to build was much quicker than make the park those of us of an age remember. Still, you get a pretty good idea how quicly something could get built a century ago.

Frater Perdurabo
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
From what I understand, conctruction was already underway when the cornerstone was laid. Also the work day was probably from sunrise to sunset was from sunrise to sunset back then. Couple this with the fact the upper deck in the ourfield wasn't added until 1927 and the time to build was much quicker than make the park those of us of an age remember. Still, you get a pretty good idea how quicly something could get built a century ago.

Building standards weren't the same back then, either. There were probably fewer inspections. Also, there wasn't as much concrete that had to cure.