PDA

View Full Version : Sox ST ticket sales affected by West Valley economic blues

Hitmen77
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/sox-suffering-from-west-side-economic-blues.html

Interesting point from Reinsdorf that, with a number of teams near Scottsdale now, Sox fans can traveling to AZ can see multiple games without venturing to Glendale.

He's certainly right that there's not much of interest around the Camelback Ranch facility at this time. The article says other West Valley teams have seen small crowds too. I wonder if this is the case for the Dodgers, who of course have a huge following and are not all that far away from their hometown of L.A.

Fenway
03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I am friends with someone who worked for the Dodgers after leaving the Red Sox ( and he has now escaped the McCourt's) He said Frank told him moving to Arizona was the biggest mistake he has made with the Dodgers as he didn't understand how big a draw Vero Beach was.

I don't think Arizona has the tourist hook that Florida offers. The Indians also wish they had stayed in Winter Haven as they have found fans combined Disney with baseball.

On the flip side if you are isolated like some teams in Florida you are limited to the teams you can play so in Ft Myers the Red Sox and Twins play way too often in spring.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/sox-suffering-from-west-side-economic-blues.html

Interesting point from Reinsdorf that, with a number of teams near Scottsdale now, Sox fans can traveling to AZ can see multiple games without venturing to Glendale.

He's certainly right that there's not much of interest around the Camelback Ranch facility at this time. The article says other West Valley teams have seen small crowds too. I wonder if this is the case for the Dodgers, who of course have a huge following and are not all that far away from their hometown of L.A.

#1swisher
03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I am friends with someone who worked for the Dodgers after leaving the Red Sox ( and he has now escaped the McCourt's) He said Frank told him moving to Arizona was the biggest mistake he has made with the Dodgers as he didn't understand how big a draw Vero Beach was.

I don't think Arizona has the tourist hook that Florida offers. The Indians also wish they had stayed in Winter Haven as they have found fans combined Disney with baseball.
On the flip side if you are isolated like some teams in Florida you are limited to the teams you can play so in Ft Myers the Red Sox and Twins play way too often in spring

Hasn't hurt the Twins.:angry:

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
the COST of going to AZ for spring training is the killer. no matte rwhat town the sox play in. The airfare is WORSE than vegas in march, and the hotels are x-pensive.

that's why the wife and i went to vegas last year to see the sox. i averaged $33 a night for the hotel.

doublem23
03-17-2011, 02:01 PM

On the flip side if you are isolated like some teams in Florida you are limited to the teams you can play so in Ft Myers the Red Sox and Twins play way too often in spring.

There are also some other reasons that we can't talk about on these boards (you know what they are :wink:, :wink:) that probably hurt tourism to Arizona, as well.

But yeah, I don't know why you would ever go there. It's a god damn desert.

soxlady8
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
IT definitely was $$$ when it came to airfare. It was more $$$ than Vegas ( I did think about going there for a weekend ). The hotel price was $$$ too , but I have learned now about going further out of the
Glendale are for cheaper hotel rates. (If I happen to go next year ).

There seems to be life in Glendale with the Mall attached to the
Jobbing.com arena , but downtown Phoenix looked to be a ghost town.

I can totally see why some teams would prefer to be in Florida -

Lamp81
03-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't mind the Sox in Arizona but Florida is probably better for a pure baseball preparation.

In Florida, the pitchers are better able to judge all of their pitches because of higher humidity levels and of course every fly ball doesn't become a Warning Track or Homerun ball.

For teams that play all year in higher elevations like Colorado and Arizona, they probably are better off training in Arizona.