PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Diminished Skills Clause

Viva Magglio
07-04-2002, 09:21 PM
:reinsy
Shall I invoke it?

TornLabrum
07-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Only if you invoke a diminished skills clause on yourself, your GM, and your manager. You ALL suck! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

doublem23
07-04-2002, 11:41 PM
*shakes head*

Procol Harum
07-05-2002, 08:57 AM
I'd be even more enthusiastic if Sox fans could enforce a "diminshed capacity" clause on Reinsdorf and his posse wherein they would be forced to divest themselves of the Pale Hose. Turn over the Sox to WSI now, Reinsdorf!

WhiteSoxWinner
07-05-2002, 11:50 AM
For all that Thomas has done for this team in the past, I think he should get to retire in the pale hose. One thing that this team has done a horrible job of in the past is creating links to the past. Usually because we jetison guys. Would the Orioles have invoked a similar clause on Ripken after the streak ended? Frank may or not make the HOF (debate for another time) but everyone has to admit that he is a huge part of the success that the team had in 90's.

raul12
07-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
For all that Thomas has done for this team in the past, I think he should get to retire in the pale hose. One thing that this team has done a horrible job of in the past is creating links to the past. Usually because we jetison guys. Would the Orioles have invoked a similar clause on Ripken after the streak ended? Frank may or not make the HOF (debate for another time) but everyone has to admit that he is a huge part of the success that the team had in 90's.

i agree to an extent. i do believe frank has earned the right to retire with the sox, etc., and believe all this "trade frank" stuff is complete bs. but the "link to the past" can get you in a lot of trouble--look how much harold and fisk helped us in their waining years....while they too deserved to retire in a white sox uniform, they should have realized that they needed to retire sooner than they did.

mrwag
07-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by raul12
i do believe frank has earned the right to retire with the sox, etc., and believe all this "trade frank" stuff is complete bs. but the "link to the past" can get you in a lot of trouble--look how much harold and fisk helped us in their waining years....while they too deserved to retire in a white sox uniform, they should have realized that they needed to retire sooner than they did.

Amen to all the above. I just hope Hriniak can get him straightened out so we can forget about Frank retiring anytime soon.

Foulke You
07-05-2002, 02:35 PM
I have a hard time accepting that Frank is a player with "diminished skills". He is a great hitter who is in a terrible slump and is lost mechanically at the plate. Fly Hriniak in now to straighten this guy out. Frank is absoulutely psyched out at the plate right now.

I wonder if Frank's tricep tear last year is still lingering as a factor in his struggles at the plate? Whether it is physical (perhaps why he got away from the open stance) or mental (not swinging the same as he did in 2000). In any case, Frank MUST get in gear if this team is to contend this year. I think they should drop Frank in the order to #7 and put Carlos in the #3 hole. I think batting in less pressure situations could help Frank iron out his troubles and Carlos seemed to respond to hitting 3rd during interleague games.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I wonder if Frank's tricep tear last year is still lingering as a factor in his struggles at the plate?

Of course it is. It's not like he had a hang-nail. We're talking about a career-threatening injury that caused him to miss a year. No one just bounces back from that.

Dadawg_77
07-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
*shakes head*

What is the blue hazes does that mean doub? :?: Is the power of the doub to confuse people so their heads explode? You are what Lewis Black was talking about in his bit about brain aneurysms. So the question is, is doub head bobbling sideways or down?
:)

doublem23
07-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

What is the blue hazes does that mean doub? :?: Is the power of the doub to confuse people so their heads explode? You are what Lewis Black was talking about in his bit about brain aneurysms. So the question is, is doub head bobbling sideways or down?

Great googily moogily, gee willikers, what in the Sam's hill are you jibber-jabbering about?

Nah, that was a shaking of head in frustration that this question would even be asked.

Foulke You
07-05-2002, 03:41 PM

Of course it is. It's not like he had a hang-nail. We're talking about a career-threatening injury that caused him to miss a year. No one just bounces back from that.

Yes, but hardly anyone be it media, fans, or otherwise ever even mention this injury. Even though Thomas is thought to be a "whiner" by some fans and media, he has shown in the past his reluctance to hide behind an injury as an excuse for his poor performance. In '99 he hid the severity of his foot injury until early September of that year. Then everyone (including Jerry Manuel) thought he was a "whiner" complaining about a minor injury and everyone shut up when he needed surgery. Almost the same thing happened last year with David Wells, Jay Mariotti, and the Pope calling Frank out on his tricep injury and then everyone shuts up when he needed season ending surgery. Is this another one of those things that we find out later that Frank is playing hurt and needs surgery again?

voodoochile
07-05-2002, 03:58 PM

Anyone else notice him grabbing that tricep and wincing the other night when he swung through a pitch?

I was going to mention it, but forgot and then along came this thread. Frank is definitely still hurting...

cornball
07-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I agree that Frank is the best hitter in Sox history.

With that said, if the team keeps crying about salary while saying they are tring to contend......invoke the clause.

Do you think Frank would re-sign at a lower price with the Sox? I dont too much pride. At the same time, without a work stoppage, several free agents this year coming out would help.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2002, 02:12 AM
I may be mistaken, but I believe that if the Sox invoke the "diminished skills" clause, Frank can declare himself a free agent. You guys ready for that?

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I may be mistaken, but I believe that if the Sox invoke the "diminished skills" clause, Frank can declare himself a free agent. You guys ready for that?

Your correct sir, he can do just that.

CLR01
07-06-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Come on Nellie, everyone knows frank sucks, no team would even make him an offer. What team would pay him any amount of money to suck in their lineup.

Can the clause be invoked at any time or only in the offseason?