PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding some data re: TV ratings, jersey sales, etc

SephClone89
03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought Fenway in particular might be able to help with some of this stuff:

I'm doing a paper on the the impact of steroids on the popularity of baseball...specifically, the immediate effects on the game's popularity following the REVELATION of the steroids scandal. Did people losing "faith" in baseball players lead to a decrease in the game's popularity? I obviously can find attendance numbers quite easily...

But how can I find TV ratings from a variety of years? And what about jersey sales?

Thanks

DumpJerry
03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
So, what was the date of revelation of the steroid scandal? Once you nail down that date, you can track the sales and ratings' correlation to the public finding out about steroids.

It was suspected for many years that there was something "extra" going on in baseball and other sports (I remember reading a SI article in the late 1970's where several NFL players talked openly about their use of steroids).

SephClone89
03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
So, what was the date of revelation of the steroid scandal? Once you nail down that date, you can track the sales and ratings' correlation to the public finding out about steroids.

It was suspected for many years that there was something "extra" going on in baseball and other sports (I remember reading a SI article in the late 1970's where several NFL players talked openly about their use of steroids).

I'm personally looking at the infamous SI cover story with the crossed syringes. For me, that's when it really was.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM

I seem to recall Tom Verducci writing an article about Ken Caminiti admitting his use of steroids in 2002 and Canseco's book was out around that time. But as early as 1998 McGwire's use of andro was made public.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm personally looking at the infamous SI cover story with the crossed syringes. For me, that's when it really was.

That was around 2002. You can go to the SI the Vault and read that article.

DumpJerry
03-17-2011, 12:16 AM
When I was in grad school, we had to design research models all the time for statistical analysis. Here is an approach you might try to find a correlation between public awareness of steroid allegations and sales/ratings:

Select about 20 major sports media outlets and track their stories about steroids and related topics from, say, 1975-2010.

Plot the number of stories bimonthly against the sales of paraphernalia and clothing and media ratings.

The trick is to control for factors outside the steroid stories (labor unrest, economic downturn, etc.).

Good luck. It should be interesting to investigate.

russ99
03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
When I was in grad school, we had to design research models all the time for statistical analysis. Here is an approach you might try to find a correlation between public awareness of steroid allegations and sales/ratings:

Select about 20 major sports media outlets and track their stories about steroids and related topics from, say, 1975-2010.

Plot the number of stories bimonthly against the sales of paraphernalia and clothing and media ratings.

The trick is to control for factors outside the steroid stories (labor unrest, economic downturn, etc.).

Good luck. It should be interesting to investigate.

There's one factor that may skew the numbers a bit in this case.

When MLB unified all it's sites under MLB.com and specificially the MLB.com store, their revenue from online sales completely took off.

The impact of buying quality merch from MLB directly could have increased sales when it would have normally declined due to less interest, re: steroids scandal.

DumpJerry
03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
There's one factor that may skew the numbers a bit in this case.

When MLB unified all it's sites under MLB.com and specificially the MLB.com store, their revenue from online sales completely took off.

The impact of buying quality merch from MLB directly could have increased sales when it would have normally declined due to less interest, re: steroids scandal.
Excellent point. Changes in marketing strategies obviously affect the numbers independent of the steroid stuff. I'm thinking television/radio ratings combined with regular season ticket sales is a better barometer of how people feel about the sport.

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Excellent point. Changes in marketing strategies obviously affect the numbers independent of the steroid stuff. I'm thinking television/radio ratings combined with regular season ticket sales is a better barometer of how people feel about the sport.also would be good to look at SECONDARY market values of tickets.