PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf Comments to Beat Writers

Hitmen77
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/reinsdorf-rebuilding-sox-would-be-too-costly.html

He talks about his health, season ticket sales, KW and OG's relationship, and whether he really thought it was feasible to go in "rebuild" mode for 2011.

Lip Man 1
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Terrific read. JR gets it for sure at this stage in his life and I applaude him for it.

I think he knows that if the Sox were to go all out and "rebuild" there would be nobody in the park but some rabbits and crickets, (do rabbits eat crickets?? LOL)

He'd lose far more money than he spent to get this team back into the hunt this year.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Terrific read. JR gets it for sure at this stage in his life and I applaude him for it.

I think he knows that if the Sox were to go all out and "rebuild" there would be nobody in the park but some rabbits and crickets, (do rabbits eat crickets?? LOL)

He'd lose far more money than he spent to get this team back into the hunt this year.

Lip

I agree and I also think his comments in regards to season ticket sales were spot on and fair, no one is going to see a bad play and Sox fans need to see a winning product on the field before they start buying tickets. It seems like it took the White Sox awhile to figure that one out, but they have it figured out now.

thomas35forever
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree and I also think his comments in regards to season ticket sales were spot on and fair, no one is going to see a bad play and Sox fans need to see a winning product on the field before they start buying tickets. It seems like it took the White Sox awhile to figure that one out, but they have it figured out now.
Indeed. The Sox need to show they're committed to winning and this offseason, they did just that. Otherwise, a half-filled ballpark would probably have been the norm this year.

hawkjt
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe for a change, we could have a real warm spring,just for something totally different? When we went out to Soxpark last year in April and May, I swear the temp on the scoreboard would top out at 47 degrees and by the 7th inning would be around 43 degrees. Took some dedicated fans to sit thru zero offense games in those temps.

I have no issues with Reinsdorf's take on the current state of the Sox.
I just hope they do start fast,and with a warm spring, fans come out before school is done.

HomeFish
03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Can anyone really complain about JR as an owner since about 2004? I used to hope that somebody like Comcast would swoop in and buy the team, now I want JR in there as long as possible.

Foulke You
03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Can anyone really complain about JR as an owner since about 2004? I used to hope that somebody like Comcast would swoop in and buy the team, now I want JR in there as long as possible.
The transformation of JR into a great owner is truly remarkable. He and his ownership group were downright awful in the late 90s but now, I worry about the future of the franchise when he is gone.

Noneck
03-16-2011, 08:23 PM
No threats about what will happen if the Sox dont draw, I am impressed.

Fenway
03-16-2011, 08:41 PM
No threats about what will happen if the Sox dont draw, I am impressed.

I sense he wants to see them win again before he goes to the next playing field.

More importantly he doesn't want to see a bad team at his age.

Lip Man 1
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
He shouldn't want to see a bad team at ANY age, don't ya think?

:?:

Lip

Quentin08
03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't get why everyone always says the team will draw when the fans see a winning product on the field. The Sox could end the month of April 7 games ahead in the division and we still wouldn't get a full house in May. The Sox have gone on long winning streaks in the past few years and it didn't result in a noticeable spike in ticket sales. Attendance has nothing to do with a winning product.. until possibly later in the summer.

What draws sellout crowds are the sheep, the people who jump on whatever is popular, and baseball is the least popular thing at the moment. Cubs are definitely not a topic of conversation at the water cooler, and unfortunately that hurts the Sox too. Popularity goes through cycles and right now the Sox are not the in thing, especially in the upcoming months when the Bulls and Hawks will take the popularity cake by the horns.

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't get why everyone always says the team will draw when the fans see a winning product on the field. The Sox could end the month of April 7 games ahead in the division and we still wouldn't get a full house in May. The Sox have gone on long winning streaks in the past few years and it didn't result in a noticeable spike in ticket sales. Attendance has nothing to do with a winning product.. until possibly later in the summer.

What draws sellout crowds are the sheep, the people who jump on whatever is popular, and baseball is the least popular thing at the moment. Cubs are definitely not a topic of conversation at the water cooler, and unfortunately that hurts the Sox too. Popularity goes through cycles and right now the Sox are not the in thing, especially in the upcoming months when the Bulls and Hawks will take the popularity cake by the horns.

100% agreed. If I am a fan I will be there for want to be there all 81 times and those "die-hards" do that. The key is getting the hey it's a nice night wanna hit up a game because they are doing well crowed in through the gates.

beasly213
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
He mentioned that season tickets weren't up a whole lot, but I wonder if he takes Ozzie Plans into consideration. I know a handful of people that bought them this year and I did myself.

The fact that the Sox spent money this off season convinced me enough to spend money up front for the team.

CLUBHOUSE KID
03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
He mentioned that season tickets weren't up a whole lot, but I wonder if he takes Ozzie Plans into consideration. I know a handful of people that bought them this year and I did myself.

The fact that the Sox spent money this off season convinced me enough to spend money up front for the team.

Interesting point and just from what I have seen here, Ozzie Plans have really sold well.

Dub25
03-17-2011, 01:25 AM

No idea if the Ozzie plan counts but I am in on a 27 game plan... does that count? I think 27 games is a good comittment.

gobears1987
03-17-2011, 02:51 AM
No idea if the Ozzie plan counts but I am in on a 27 game plan... does that count? I think 27 games is a good comittment.

From what I've heard, 27 game plans count but Ozzie plans do not.

On the topic of the article. I've met Jerry a few times and the man is great. It will be a sad day when he leaves this world. Let's hope it isn't for many, many years.

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM

the sox sold quite a few 2011 plans during the 2010 season. With 2010 postseason tickets as the lure. I suspect that he's not adding those #'s in.

That said, I've novited a lost more section having STH's on stubhub and ebay. Sec 516 in particular. Row 2 is completely bought by ONE ticket holder. This was NOT the case last season.

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 08:37 AM
From what I've heard, 27 game plans count but Ozzie plans do not.

On the topic of the article. I've met Jerry a few times and the man is great. It will be a sad day when he leaves this world. Let's hope it isn't for many, many years.From what I've been told, that is correct. Ozzie(and 7 game promo plans) count towards the individual rep's sales figures. but the 27/81 plans are what they use to tell the media how well sales are doing.

Fenway
03-17-2011, 08:41 AM
He shouldn't want to see a bad team at ANY age, don't ya think?

:?:

Lip

JR is the one who brought up the age issue saying a bad team at his age would be rough.

jdm2662
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe for a change, we could have a real warm spring,just for something totally different? When we went out to Soxpark last year in April and May, I swear the temp on the scoreboard would top out at 47 degrees and by the 7th inning would be around 43 degrees. Took some dedicated fans to sit thru zero offense games in those temps.

I have no issues with Reinsdorf's take on the current state of the Sox.
I just hope they do start fast,and with a warm spring, fans come out before school is done.

As long as the Sox play on the lake front, this is going to be an issue. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to either Sox or Fire games at Solider Field when it was 15-20 degrees colder than it was at home. I will never forget one Fire opener where it was 72 and sunny at home. My friend in Franklin Park even had their air conditioning running. when were watching the news, it was 47 downtown. Last spring was the best spring I can remember in years, but you are always going to have lake breezes.

Brewski
03-17-2011, 09:46 AM
The transformation of JR into a great owner is truly remarkable. He and his ownership group were downright awful in the late 90s but now, I worry about the future of the franchise when he is gone.

"Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" No, I mean "It's All In Your Head" No, I mean "The More Things Change The More They Stay The Same"

What I'm trying to say is maybe they haven't changed as much as our perception of them has.

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 09:48 AM
As long as the Sox play on the lake front, this is going to be an issue. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to either Sox or Fire games at Solider Field when it was 15-20 degrees colder than it was at home. I will never forget one Fire opener where it was 72 and sunny at home. My friend in Franklin Park even had their air conditioning running. when were watching the news, it was 47 downtown. Last spring was the best spring I can remember in years, but you are always going to have lake breezes.the last few years have been screwey. the cubs typically have rain free days AND nights, while the sox were getting stuck with LOTS of rain and cool temps.

jdm2662
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
the last few years have been screwey. the cubs typically have rain free days AND nights, while the sox were getting stuck with LOTS of rain and cool temps.

Sounds like a Hawk conspiracy. MY family went to a SAturday afternoon Sox game in early April and it was sunny and 75 degrees last season. The Cubs deal with the Lakefront, too. Just because it looks sunny at Wrigley, doesn't mean it's not cold. The Sox had zero rain outs in 2010. It sucks that we have such weather in the spring, but we just have to deal with it.

ewokpelts
03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a Hawk conspiracy. MY family went to a SAturday afternoon Sox game in early April and it was sunny and 75 degrees last season. The Cubs deal with the Lakefront, too. Just because it looks sunny at Wrigley, doesn't mean it's not cold. The Sox had zero rain outs in 2010. It sucks that we have such weather in the spring, but we just have to deal with it. Sox had zero rainouts, but we had plenty of games with 2 hour rain delays. I was at 2 games where they SHOULD have been called, only see a start time of 9:10 and 9:30.

Nellie_Fox
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I was at 2 games where they SHOULD have been called, only see a start time of 9:10 and 9:30.I'm glad they didn't, though. My only trip down there last year was for the LAAAAAA game that had a LONG rain delay, but they got the game in and I was happy.

Hitmen77
03-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm glad to hear JR say that they didn't expect fans to suddenly go wild start buying tickets like mad. It's not that fans aren't excited or aren't supporting the team.....the cold hard fact is that there really isn't a worry among fans that they need to buy tickets NOW for early season games before the good seats are gone.

Without that sense of urgency, people aren't going to scramble to buy tickets for weeks or months ahead of time for games when they feel that good tickets can still be had either at the box office or on Stubhub. The weather is questionable in April/May and people who might want to go to games are going to wait and see because they know they can.

This is different than how things are for the Cubs. The Cubs have a big season ticket base that will drive up sales even for less desirable early season games. There is also a perception (a correct one) that people who want to buy Cubs tickets can't just wait around until the last minute.....so there is this rush to buy tickets in Feb and March and they'll have big attendance numbers even if the weather and/or team is crappy in April and May because those tickets have already been sold.

the last few years have been screwey. the cubs typically have rain free days AND nights, while the sox were getting stuck with LOTS of rain and cool temps.

I agree. I know it sounds "Hawk conspiracy-ish", but damn if it didn't at least seem like the rains and cold fronts hit just as the Sox returned for a home stand last year Like you said, the number of rainouts is a lousy indicator since there were a number of days that were simply cold and/or rainy and they got the game in (in some case after long delays).

Yes, bad weather is just a fact of life for early season games for a team in the Midwest that has to rely on walk up sales.