PDA

View Full Version : Milledge on Opening Day roster?

Big Hurt so good
03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Looks like he's really going to give Ozzie a difficult decision between him and De Aza:

http://bit.ly/dQrsDy

Personally, I'd cut Teahen and use that money for one more reliever... Morel at 3B with Vizquel, Lillibridge, De Aza, Milledge on bench

Daver
03-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Looks like he's really going to give Ozzie a difficult decision between him and De Aza:

Personally, I'd cut Teahen and use that money for one more reliever... Morel at 3B with Vizquel, Lillibridge, De Aza, Milledge on bench

Teahen gets paid if he puts on a uniform or not, there is no "using that money", it is already spent.

Big Hurt so good
03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Teahen gets paid if he puts on a uniform or not, there is no "using that money", it is already spent.

Good point... had my NFL hat on...

Frater Perdurabo
03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Given Teahen's hot bat, are there any teams out there who need a LH bat who can "play" several positions?

JermaineDye05
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Do you work for CSN or something? I've just noticed that the majority of your threads link to a CSN story.

DumpJerry
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
It's too early to say who is definitely on the 25 man roster.

I wish Morel would pick it up at the Plate, he's making Teahen look good.

JermaineDye05
03-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Yeah, but Teahen is making himself look bad with his glove. I'm still fairly certain that it's a slam dunk that Morel is on the roster. Ozzie just can't come out and say it right now since it's so early in ST and Mark just happens to be hitting well. In the end, it will come down to defense which Morel is clearly the superior.

doublem23
03-13-2011, 09:44 PM

It's still an utter waste of a roster spot.

Seems silly to risk a $125 million investment on a $4 million player.

doublem23
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Morel could hit .000/.000/.000 and he'd be a better option than Teahen.

Big Hurt so good
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I believe Buehrle said in an interview last season that a Gold Glove caliber third baseman ala Joe Crede (maybe Morel down the road) is of EXTREME importance to the sox pitching staff because they aren't a high strikeout team...

He estimated that via a diving play to legitimately save a run or just keep a double from happening might save approximately 1 run a game...

Not saying he's right, but clearly a strong glove and accurate arm at the hot corner is much more important than a bat... this team should have no problems scoring runs even if Morel hits No. 9

Noneck
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Seems silly to risk a $125 million investment on a $4 million player.

Its above 10M over the next 2 years. The Sox are never going to salt and pepper that, so give it a rest.

DumpJerry
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but Teahen is making himself look bad with his glove. I'm still fairly certain that it's a slam dunk that Morel is on the roster. Ozzie just can't come out and say it right now since it's so early in ST and Mark just happens to be hitting well. In the end, it will come down to defense which Morel is clearly the superior.
I'm pulling for Morel, but if he can get his BA up, I would feel more comfortable.

Teahen has been scorching the ball with his bat. It's his glove that worries me even though it is being reported that he's been ok the past few games....

doublem23
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Its above 10M over the next 2 years. The Sox are never going to salt and pepper that, so give it a rest.

I know they're not, cheap *******s.

Either way, I am not at all concerned about Morel's bat. His job is to solidify the infield; Morel/Alexei/Beckham/Konerko is a fabulous defensive infield. I don't give a **** what he hits, if the offense fails this year, it's not because our #9 hitter didn't show up.

DumpJerry
03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Either way, I am not at all concerned about Morel's bat. His job is to solidify the infield; Morel/Alexei/Beckham/Konerko is a fabulous defensive infield. I don't give a **** what he hits, if the offense fails this year, it's not because our #9 hitter didn't show up.
I can see Ozzie thinking this way about the issue. Morel did a decent job during his cup of coffee last year with his bat. In Ozzie's mind, he might see Morel as the better option at preventing a double in the corner.

DirtySox
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but Teahen is making himself look bad with his glove. I'm still fairly certain that it's a slam dunk that Morel is on the roster.

It is a slam dunk. People are getting too worked up over a sample size of 21 AB's for Morel in spring training. Teahen is terrible and his bat doesn't negate the black-hole he creates at 3B.

doublem23
03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I can see Ozzie thinking this way about the issue. Morel did a decent job during his cup of coffee last year with his bat. In Ozzie's mind, he might see Morel as the better option at preventing a double in the corner.

No, I can see Ozzie thinking the exact opposite way and shoving Teahen in every chance he can get. Which is why I want KW to do the dirty work and lock him in a box and mail him to Mongolia.

Frater Perdurabo
03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I believe Buehrle said in an interview last season that a Gold Glove caliber third baseman ala Joe Crede (maybe Morel down the road) is of EXTREME importance to the sox pitching staff because they aren't a high strikeout team...

He estimated that via a diving play to legitimately save a run or just keep a double from happening might save approximately 1 run a game...

Not saying he's right, but clearly a strong glove and accurate arm at the hot corner is much more important than a bat... this team should have no problems scoring runs even if Morel hits No. 9

Apparently Morel also is pretty good at laying down bunts and making contact to hit the ball behind the runner, so even if he's not increasing his batting average, he can do things that can help the team with the bat.

When Morel is not playing third, Vizquel should be. The only way Teahen should EVER play third base is in an emergency injury situation.

DumpJerry
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
No, I can see Ozzie thinking the exact opposite way and shoving Teahen in every chance he can get. Which is why I want KW to do the dirty work and lock him in a box and mail him to Mongolia.
Teahen or Ozzie or both?

Noneck
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM

I like Morel at 3rd, if he hits or not but I always believe in defense. Thats why I see no room for Viciedo when he gets well unless it is as a DH.(if he learns how to hit)

doublem23
03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Teahen or Ozzie or both?

Teahen, I think Ozzie is good enough of a manager if you give him the right parts. Problem is Teahen is a square peg for a round hole.

I like Morel at 3rd, if he hits or not but I always believe in defense. Thats why I see no room for Viciedo when he gets well unless it is as a DH.(if he learns how to hit)

Well, there's just no way Viciedo could possibly be a worse RF than Quentin, and as a 22-year-old athlete, he's probably got 6-7 years in the field before he has to be phased out as a DH.

Plus, I think if Viciedo ever learns a little more plate discipline, he'd be an absolute monster, a stick worth keeping in the lineup even if he's only mediocre defensively. RF or LF's not as big a deal, but you're looking at a guy with 900+ OPS potential, that's rare air Teahen's just not going to touch.

Noneck
03-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, there's just no way Viciedo could possibly be a worse RF than Quentin, and as a 22-year-old athlete, he's probably got 6-7 years in the field before he has to be phased out as a DH.

Even if Viciedo is a better fielder than Quentin (and I dont think he is), Quentin is going nowhere this year and a defensive outfielder makes more sense as a replacement outfielder than Viciedo for this year.

Brewski
03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
I recall it was reported that Ozzie told Teahen last year, after he was hurt, to not give up on playing third base in 2011. So your worst fears may be coming true. He's brutal at third base, no arguing there.

I know that spring training performance doesn't mean anything (unless it's for someone we like) but one guys clobbering the ball and the other can't hit a lick so far.

Someone may need a bat and take him off our hands. Pray.

doublem23
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Even if Viciedo is a better fielder than Quentin (and I dont think he is), Quentin is going nowhere this year and a defensive outfielder makes more sense as a replacement outfielder than Viciedo for this year.

Have you watched Carlos play the field? He is terrible. A blind guy could take better routes to balls just by guessing.

Quentin's not going anywhere this year, that's fine, but neither corner OF is guaranteed anything beyond this season and I would have a hard time envisioning a scenario where they both return in 2012. Whatever Viciedo does this year, he will be a starting outfielder for the Sox on April 6, 2012. The Sox will have invested $10 M in Viciedo by the end of the 2012 season, eventually you need to see what you have. Very few players are ever fully ready to step in and play at a high level everyday in the Majors. There's only so much you can learn at the minor league level before your development plateaus.

Noneck
03-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Have you watched Carlos play the field? He is terrible. A blind guy could take better routes to balls just by guessing.

Quentin's not going anywhere this year, that's fine, but neither corner OF is guaranteed anything beyond this season and I would have a hard time envisioning a scenario where they both return in 2012. Whatever Viciedo does this year, he will be a starting outfielder for the Sox on April 6, 2012. The Sox will have invested $10 M in Viciedo by the end of the 2012 season, eventually you need to see what you have. Very few players are ever fully ready to step in and play at a high level everyday in the Majors. There's only so much you can learn at the minor league level before your development plateaus.

So you think when he gets well he should be on this years club as a replacement outfielder?

doublem23
03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
So you think when he gets well he should be on this years club as a replacement outfielder?

I would not be opposed to that, there's very little pop off the bench right now, Viciedo on the roster allows you to rest Quentin, Dunn, and Konerko once per week without having to completely gut the middle of your order.

That said, given Quentin's common health problems, I expect to see some Dayan this year anyway. Over/under on games for TCQ... 109.5?

Noneck
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I would not be opposed to that, there's very little pop off the bench right now, Viciedo on the roster allows you to rest Quentin, Dunn, and Konerko once per week without having to completely gut the middle of your order.

That said, given Quentin's common health problems, I expect to see some Dayan this year anyway. Over/under on games for TCQ... 109.5?

If Quentin goes down then there wont be much other choice. If not I want a guy that is a decent defender for the the occasional days off and late inning defensive replacement. But you are probably right someone will probably get hurt and if its Dunn, PK, Quentin or Pierre, Viciedo is elected. Now if Rios goes down that turns into a chernobyl type disaster but that's a whole new discusion.

Ron Karkovice
03-13-2011, 11:37 PM
<1% of this thread's posts are regarding its subject.

SoxSpeed22
03-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Lastings can crush left handed pitching and De Aza is better defensively. But I think Milledge can help the team more.

white sox bill
03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
Given Teahen's hot bat, are there any teams out there who need a LH bat who can "play" several positions?
I was thinking same when I saw his inflated BA......trade him now while his stock is high!!

Chez
03-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Getting back to the original OP's question, I think the only way Milledge makes the 25 man roster out of ST is if Morel doesn't. If Morel isn't going to be in the starting line-up, then he's not an ideal bench player (he only plays one position). iIf Morel makes the team, I think Lillibridge is the 25th man and De Aza is the odd man out -- though I can see De Aza clearing waivers and accepting a minor league from the Sox.

Tragg
03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Getting back to the original OP's question, I think the only way Milledge makes the 25 man roster out of ST is if Morel doesn't. If Morel isn't going to be in the starting line-up, then he's not an ideal bench player (he only plays one position). iIf Morel makes the team, I think Lillibridge is the 25th man and De Aza is the odd man out -- though I can see De Aza clearing waivers and accepting a minor league from the Sox.

The trouble with LIllibridge is that that gives us 2 utility infielder on the roster. Can neither Aza nor Milledge hit at all? They both should be able to defend the outfield and run a little bit.

I just remember 07 we had several of these utility players dressed up like major leaguers: cintron and gonzales and richar...I get the shakes thinking about it.

sullythered
03-14-2011, 08:00 PM
The trouble with LIllibridge is that that gives us 2 utility infielder on the roster. Can neither Aza nor Milledge hit at all? They both should be able to defend the outfield and run a little bit.

I just remember 07 we had several of these utility players dressed up like major leaguers: cintron and gonzales and richar...I get the shakes thinking about it.

Lillibridge is a pretty good outfielder. Unless we have a slew of injuries, this team is nothing like that '07 team.

Foulke You
03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Lillibridge is the 25th man.
I hope you are wrong. I'm so tired of watching Lillibridge take his HR cuts and strikeout or pop out in front of the warning track. The guy emulates a HR slugger's swing when he should be watching how Vizquel and Pierre made a living in the big leagues. It's been 3 years now and there has been no change in his approach at the plate. Lastings Milledge's talent level and potential alone should warrant him making the club over Lillibridge. Just my .02

TheVulture
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
The trouble with LIllibridge is that that gives us 2 utility infielder on the roster.

Funny, I was thinking the trouble with leaving Lillibridge off the roster was that it leaves us with only one utility infielder on the roster.

Foulke You
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Funny, I was thinking the trouble with leaving Lillibridge off the roster was that it leaves us with only one utility infielder on the roster.
Alexei and Beckham play almost every day so I don't think it is that big a deal to have just one middle infielder backing them up. On the rare instance they need a day off, Vizquel can fill in and play good defense. Besides, you would always start Vizquel over Lillibridge anyway for his defense. Also, for what it's worth, Teahen did play a handful of games at 2B for the Royals so he could be your "2nd utility" infielder in an emergency. Teahen would probably give you the same defense as Lillibridge which is not much.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I hope you are wrong. I'm so tired of watching Lillibridge take his HR cuts and strikeout or pop out in front of the warning track. The guy emulates a HR slugger's swing when he should be watching how Vizquel and Pierre made a living in the big leagues. It's been 3 years now and there has been no change in his approach at the plate. Lastings Milledge's talent level and potential alone should warrant him making the club over Lillibridge. Just my .02

Exactly right. The potential of Milledge is far greater than Lillibridge. How the Sox can go without a legit backup OF is beyond me. I know Millidge isn't that great with the glove, especially in CF, but he gives you that good, solid RH bat off the bench, like Teahen gives the team from the LH side. Plus, the team has a greater chance to catch lightning in a bottle with Milledge than Lillibridge. Lillibridge can't hit a lick, and has no reason to start over Vizquel if Ramirez and Beckham need a rest.

Tragg
03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I'm figuring Teahen's on the roster.

I just don't see that Lillibridge brings anything.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm figuring Teahen's on the roster.

I just don't see that Lillibridge brings anything.

Well, he brings more speed and a better glove than Teahen, but since Teahen is getting paid so much, he isn't going anywhere.

jacobp
03-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I am absolutely amazed that there is talk of the White Sox keeping Milledge when they break spring training. I live in DC and watched him play for the Nationals. He is terrible. Forget his statistics... just watch him play. He routinely takes the worst routes to flyballs I have ever seen. The other day I was watching the Sox and a ball was hit into the right-center gap. Milledge, playing center, breaks straight back, then takes a 90 degree turn, running parallel to the wall, to get to the ball. He did this ALL THE TIME in DC which led to his ouster.

And, at the plate, I swear this guy is Willie Mays Hayes, twitching the bat back and forth waiting for the pitch. And then, just like Willie, takes a homerun uppercut and pops it up. I was waiting for him to drop down in the batter's box and do pushups. His two homers in the spring, just like in Major League 2, will be flyball outs come the regular season.

Don't be fooled fellow Sox fans, there is very good reason why the two worst teams in the NL gave up on him (Nats, Pirates). How in the world could that possibly translate to making the roster of a team with World Series aspirations.

doublem23
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Don't be fooled fellow Sox fans, there is very good reason why the two worst teams in the NL gave up on him (Nats, Pirates). How in the world could that possibly translate to making the roster of a team with World Series aspirations.

Sometimes it just takes the right mixture of coaching and the team's system for a guy to be successful. Remember, every team in the league had 37 chances to draft Mark Buehrle before we did.

Failure is rarely all on the player.

asindc
03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I am absolutely amazed that there is talk of the White Sox keeping Milledge when they break spring training. I live in DC and watched him play for the Nationals. He is terrible. Forget his statistics... just watch him play. He routinely takes the worst routes to flyballs I have ever seen. The other day I was watching the Sox and a ball was hit into the right-center gap. Milledge, playing center, breaks straight back, then takes a 90 degree turn, running parallel to the wall, to get to the ball. He did this ALL THE TIME in DC which led to his ouster.

And, at the plate, I swear this guy is Willie Mays Hayes, twitching the bat back and forth waiting for the pitch. And then, just like Willie, takes a homerun uppercut and pops it up. I was waiting for him to drop down in the batter's box and do pushups. His two homers in the spring, just like in Major League 2, will be flyball outs come the regular season.

Everything you say about his play is true, but the difference here is that he will be no more than a bench player of whom little is expected, as opposed to being expected to play a major role in the team's success. We're not talking about choosing between Milledge and Brett Gardner, we are talking about Milledge vs. Lillibridge or De Aza, most likely.

sox1970
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, he's a bench player. No big deal if he makes the team. If he acts like an ass or can't play, they could dump him without a second thought and bring up De Aza or Gartrell.

soxinem1
03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Just curious how a thread about Milledge became saturated with Teahen and Lillibridge comments......:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Just curious how a thread about Milledge became saturated with Teahen and Lillibridge comments......:scratch:Because those are the guys fighting for the last couple of bench spots?

FielderJones
03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Because those are the guys fighting for the last couple of bench spots?

Teahen could really start the season in Charlotte?

TomBradley72
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I like Lillibridge on the roster- we need a late inning pinch runner (for Dunn, AJ, PK, etc.), he plays both OF and IF- he was improved last year- I'd give him one more chance this year.

soxinem1
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Because those are the guys fighting for the last couple of bench spots?

Teahen is not fighting for anything except playing time. He is on this squad unless he's traded or on the DL.

I like Lillibridge on the roster- we need a late inning pinch runner (for Dunn, AJ, PK, etc.), he plays both OF and IF- he was improved last year- I'd give him one more chance this year.

Improved? He had a 30 AB stretch where he hit the ball against guys who will be selling shoes this year, and did one of the best Steve Sax/Chuck Knoblouch I have seen with his defense, especially at 2B.

Not sure what he brings to help make the White Sox better that even Teahen cannot, except speed.

Nellie_Fox
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Teahen is not fighting for anything except playing time. He is on this squad unless he's traded or on the DL.I knew that. I just meant that the discussion involved them due to comparable worth for the same job.

wilburaga
03-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I think Ozzie is going to decide he needs late inning outfield defensive help and speed more than he needs a right handed pinch hitter. And, to me, that poimts to De Aza.

Foulke You
03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Milledge is just as fast as Lillibridge on the basepaths and can easily fill the pinch runner role late in a game for Dunn or Paulie. Lillibridge was "improved" for only about 2 weeks and then reverted back to his old self.

DonnieDarko
03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Personally, I think that De Aza would be better to have on the roster.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm for Milledge.

Lip

A. Cavatica
03-17-2011, 05:52 PM

With two home runs today, Milledge may have won himself a spot.

Mohoney
03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I would rather keep both Milledge and Lillibridge and not carry a 7th reliever.

Konerko
Beckham
Alexei
Morel
Dunn
Vizquel
Lillibridge
Teahen
AJ
Castro
Quentin
Pierre
Rios
Milledge

WhiteSox5187
03-17-2011, 11:21 PM

I still think Lillibridge is a bit more effective as he can play the infield and the outfield somewhat effectively, whereas I don't think Milledge can play defense that well at all.

TomBradley72
03-18-2011, 10:34 AM
i would rather keep both milledge and lillibridge and not carry a 7th reliever.

Konerko
beckham
alexei
morel
dunn
vizquel
lillibridge
teahen
aj
castro
quentin
pierre
rios
milledge

+1

sox1970
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I would rather keep both Milledge and Lillibridge and not carry a 7th reliever.

It's good in theory, and then somebody gets torched in the second inning. In the AL, you don't five on the bench. I'd always take the extra arm.

If Humber or Marquez have to clean up a game that's probably going to be lost anyway, that's fine. They can save the other six for games they're trying to win.

cws05champ
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM

I was at the game yesterday...Milledge absolutely crushed those balls too. They weren't just Arizona thin air HR's. He was decent in the field as well.

johnnyg83
03-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Another good night for Milledge. I just hope this feeling is Lasting(s).

Andy T Clown
03-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Another good night for Milledge. I just hope this feeling is Lasting(s).

:clap:

palehozenychicty
03-18-2011, 11:25 PM
He's been hot now, but as someone said, if this cat couldn't play for the Nasty Nats or the Yuccos....

TheVulture
03-18-2011, 11:44 PM
He's been hot now, but as someone said, if this cat couldn't play for the Nasty Nats or the Yuccos....

I don't get it - he had 587 plate appearance in his only season with the Nats at age 23. He had a pretty good year for a 23 year old, then he was traded for a guy coming off a season in which he hit .307 with .369 OBP and 42 SB.

Not being offered arb by the worst run and cheapest club in major league baseball after batting .277 in 400+ AB? Not exactly damning when you are talking about a utility player filling out the bench!

TomBradley72
03-19-2011, 07:27 AM
At this point I'd say the final two spots on the roster are Milledge's and Humber's to lose- their performance in spring training, their high potential and upside, KW (and Coop) love guys like that (i.e. Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Quentin) who were highly touted prospects but their stock has fallen.

That leaves Lillibridge on the outside looking in- unless KW finds a way to trade Teahen (who's value may be up based on his spring training). Marquez has had a good spring- but he's out of options- I'd put him as runner up to Humber if camp broke today.

Tragg
03-19-2011, 10:01 AM
At this point I'd say the final two spots on the roster are Milledge's and Humber's to lose- their performance in spring training, their high potential and upside, KW (and Coop) love guys like that (i.e. Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Quentin) who were highly touted prospects but their stock has fallen.

That's why I'm excited about them...they have high talent and could turn out to be steals.
We know what Lillibridge's limit is: utility talent and utility ballplayer.

rowand33
03-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm very pro-Milledge. He'd be a great 4th outfielder. He crushed lefties last season to the tune of a .320/.414/.512 slash line. He also has the most potential of any candidate by far.

If Quentin/Pierre/Rios goes down, Milledge is the guy I want to see in the lineup. The guy still has 20 HR/20 SB potential.

EnglishChiSox
03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm sure there is a way on having Lilli and Milli on the roster and make it seem like it's only one player. Brentings Millibridge?

I like the intangibles on Lillibridge. he is one of the guys who keeps this veteran team young, he's never an issue, playing or not, he seems to get on well with the likes of Beckham. That doesn't mean he definitely should be on the roster over a talent like Milledge but Milledge has always been a bit of a bat ethic/attitude guy who could disrupt the clubhouse down the road if he is not playing much.

A. Cavatica
03-19-2011, 03:29 PM

That leaves Lillibridge on the outside looking in- unless KW finds a way to trade Teahen (who's value may be up based on his spring training). Marquez has had a good spring- but he's out of options- I'd put him as runner up to Humber if camp broke today.

Marquez is a dog, I hope it doesn't come to that.

cws05champ
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm very pro-Milledge. He'd be a great 4th outfielder. He crushed lefties last season to the tune of a .320/.414/.512 slash line. He also has the most potential of any candidate by far.

If Quentin/Pierre/Rios goes down, Milledge is the guy I want to see in the lineup. The guy still has 20 HR/20 SB potential.

I have seen Milledge play the last three days out here. He's been great in the field all three days and has two great games at the plate. He's has to make it over Lillibridge.

TomBradley72
03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I like the intangibles on Lillibridge. he is one of the guys who keeps this veteran team young, he's never an issue, playing or not, he seems to get on well with the likes of Beckham. That doesn't mean he definitely should be on the roster over a talent like Milledge but Milledge has always been a bit of a bat ethic/attitude guy who could disrupt the clubhouse down the road if he is not playing much.

Lillibridge is 2 years older than Milledge- he'll turn 27 this year- Milledge turns 25. Milledge's career OPS is 200 points higher than Lillibidge- with his much higher ceiling you have to go with Milledge. At 27- Lillibridge is no longer a prospect- he's just a borderline major league utility player.

johnnyg83
03-20-2011, 07:46 AM

With his talent and his Spring, I would think that giving him the 5th OF spot has a very small risk/high reward. Lillibridge is versatile, but it's not like we're trying to find a spot in the lineup with him ... or that he has any future beyond a sub.

Taliesinrk
03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Lillibridge is 2 years older than Milledge- he'll turn 27 this year- Milledge turns 25. Milledge's career OPS is 200 points higher than Lillibidge- with his much higher ceiling you have to go with Milledge. At 27- Lillibridge is no longer a prospect- he's just a borderline major league utility player.

To play devil's advocate (I want Milledge), do the Sox think that they would like Milledge to get another year developing and playing everyday in the minors so that he could potentially take over for Pierre or Quentin next year? I know they're "all in" this year, so that's probably the best argument against my question, but it is a thought - 25 isn't young... but it certainly isn't "career minor leaguer" either (not yet, at least).

sox1970
03-20-2011, 09:50 AM
To play devil's advocate (I want Milledge), do the Sox think that they would like Milledge to get another year developing and playing everyday in the minors so that he could potentially take over for Pierre or Quentin next year? I know they're "all in" this year, so that's probably the best argument against my question, but it is a thought - 25 isn't young... but it certainly isn't "career minor leaguer" either (not yet, at least).

If Milledge makes the roster, he'll get good playing time. He'll cut into Pierre's playing time, which is fine. He can start for Rios and Quentin once in a while, or when Q eventually gets hurt for a few days here and there.

Taliesinrk
03-20-2011, 09:58 AM
If Milledge makes the roster, he'll get good playing time. He'll cut into Pierre's playing time, which is fine. He can start for Rios and Quentin once in a while, or when Q eventually gets hurt for a few days here and there.

Yeah. I would have to think this is the case... especially with Guillen making the line-ups. Just trying to prepare myself for if they break w/ Lillibridge and not Milledge. I've felt let down before with OF decisions made in the last 5 years.