PDA

View Full Version : Glover!

delben91
08-06-2001, 04:18 PM
Nice job getting out of that jam, way to keep them off the board!!!

Soxboyrob
08-06-2001, 05:03 PM
It's time to look into making Glover a starter. I'd give KWells one more chance as a starter to get things together. If he doesn't, let him work in the pen and let Glover start. He's been our most effective pitcher since returning from the minors. He's earned starter's status.

doublem23
08-06-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
He's been our most effective pitcher since returning from the minors.

:sean
Ahem.

So, we want to take ANOTHER good pitcher from the bullpen... We've already taken Garland. Glover needs to be in the pen for sheer lack of pitchers. Maybe we give Glover a chance to start during the September call-ups. By then, our fate should be sealed, and we may get some unseen help from the minors

Daver
08-06-2001, 09:06 PM
Good catch on the slight to Sean doublem,you beat me to it.

I must be getting old and slow.

Soxboyrob
08-06-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by daver
Good catch on the slight to Sean doublem,you beat me to it.

I'm taking nothing from Lowe when I say Glover has been our best pitcher since his callup from the minors. Check the stats. Glover has had an era under 2.00 since then. Lowe has easily been more hittable than that. Lowe has actually had his butt LIT UP a couple of times in the last month. Glover has earned a chance to start. You can't hold the fact that he's good against him when giving reasons why to leave him in the pen. Otherwise, we'd put Buehrle and Lowe back there too.

OfficerKarkovice
08-06-2001, 11:29 PM
You cannot compare Seans ERA to Glovers simply because Lowe has pitched so many more innings. It is a lot easier to have a low ERA when you only face a batter once a game and are only in for 2 innings at a time. Batters only get one look at you as opposed to 3 or 4 when you are starting.

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Can someone give me a scouting report on Glover? while i have watched many sox games this season, i have only been able to see glover pitch twice. Hardly enough time to make a proper evaluation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
You cannot compare Seans ERA to Glovers simply because Lowe has pitched so many more innings. It is a lot easier to have a low ERA when you only face a batter once a game and are only in for 2 innings at a time. Batters only get one look at you as opposed to 3 or 4 when you are starting.

Agreed 100%, but there is no other way with which to compare these two. I can only tell you that I've watched both pitch almost every inning they've thrown over the last 2 months. Lowe either looks totally unhittable or totally hittable. There seems to be no in-between for the guy. Glover consistently looks pretty damn tough to hit. Since Chavez' Titanic home run off Glover at Comiskey, Glover has been excellent. In Glover's one and only start, he did quite well but was pulled from the game at the 50 pitch mark for whatever reason. Again, I'm taking nothing from Lowe but every time he takes the mound, I wonder which Lowe is starting that day. I don't really feel that way w/ Glover.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Can someone give me a scouting report on Glover? while i have watched many sox games this season, i have only been able to see glover pitch twice. Hardly enough time to make a proper evaluation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'll give you what I know and someone else can fill in the spaces.

Fastball; 93-95mph w/ an occasional 96....not a whole lot of movement, but likes to throw it in on the batters' hands. I think he probably leads the team in broken bats caused per inning pitched. Gives up a lot of grounders.

Curve ball; average control, excellent movement....Farmer has described Glover's breaking ball as "devastating." His curve has as much movement as anyone's on the Sox.

Control; the guy hasn't made a habit of walking many guys at all. Usually gets ahead of hitters.

Changes speeds....One of his biggest assets is his ability to change speeds and do it w/ control. I don't know if it's a change that he also throws or if it's a splitter, but he's got a pitch that seems to dart low and inside to righties and gets a lot of K's on that pitch.

Someone else can fill in the rest.