PDA

View Full Version : Officially taking a group of students on a field trip...

chisoxfanatic
03-11-2011, 11:28 PM
to a Sox game! When I got home today, I noticed an envelope between my doors. It was a pack of 12 Sox tickets for the 5/4 game vs. the Twins. That is Weather Day, and I'm using it as an incentive to take 10 of our school's best students to a game...And, it's all on our school! So, it will be me, a security guard, and a couple handfuls of students. It's nice to know that this is set in stone now!

Has anyone ever taken a group of students on field trips to Sox games before? Teachers, park district/youth group workers? What were your experiences like?

soxlady8
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I have never taken any students , however, this is really really cool Chisox !!
Hope you and your group of students have a wonderful day !!

LongLiveFisk
03-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Me neither. Just make sure you handpick Sox fans only. :D:

chisoxfanatic
03-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Me neither. Just make sure you handpick Sox fans only. :D:
I don't think that will be too hard working deep on the south side. It's gonna be great, because I'm going to have 100% say on who goes on this field trip! The security guard I have chosen is a huge Sox fan too, and he's stoked. The kids are going to get to meet Tom Skilling and then watch the conclusion of a series with the Twins. All they will have to do is spring for their own concessions!

Dub25
03-12-2011, 01:28 AM
to a Sox game! When I got home today, I noticed an envelope between my doors. It was a pack of 12 Sox tickets for the 5/4 game vs. the Twins. That is Weather Day, and I'm using it as an incentive to take 10 of our school's best students to a game...And, it's all on our school! So, it will be me, a security guard, and a couple handfuls of students. It's nice to know that this is set in stone now!

Has anyone ever taken a group of students on field trips to Sox games before? Teachers, park district/youth group workers? What were your experiences like?

No way, you're lying. You only take kids to landmarks like The Urinal so they learn how plumbing worked in the old days. :redneck

doublem23
03-12-2011, 06:17 AM
I went with a group of kids to a Sox game once while I worked for the Park District at Skokie. My experience was brutal, though, mostly because I went along with a camp that was designed to teach the kids (mostly in the 7th-9th grade range) about public transportation and getting around Chicago, so everyday they took the CTA somewhere around town. Imagine taking the L all the way from the Skokie Swift to Sox Park with 18 teenagers.

Game was fun, Sox staff was very cool, but man, did I want to kill myself by the time we got back to Dempster.

lizard6king6
03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
We did it once through Chicago Cares with about 30 or so kids from the west side (where I teach) ages 9-13. Luckily we also had about 15 chaperones as well (teachers, janitors, etc.) all go. It wasnt horrible but I wouldnt plan one again, its better on your own or with people who can take care of themselves. Instead we were in the concourse most of the time watching them get hotdogs and look around the upper concourse. Not my cup of tea but if you have kids who are interested in baseball it may be more fun.

Fenway
03-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I just looked at my compamy truck logs - we doing that game so let me see if i can arrange a tour of the truck as well - kids love that

2011-04-05 - HD12 (Hudson, NH) - Client FOX North Chicgo 333 W 35th CC 8 AM

chisoxfanatic
03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I just looked at my compamy truck logs - we doing that game so let me see if i can arrange a tour of the truck as well - kids love that

2011-04-05 - HD12 (Hudson, NH) - Client FOX North Chicgo 333 W 35th CC 8 AM
I'll have to see if we can leave the ballpark after Tom Skilling's seminar to do that...If so, then I will ask the students if they'd be interested. Since another chaperon is attending, I can always take the interested students with me and leave everyone else with him...It is a small enough group anyways.

DumpJerry
03-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Security guard? Are the students parolees or inmates at Cook County Jail?

Brewski
03-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I went with a group of kids to a Sox game once while I worked for the Park District at Skokie. My experience was brutal, though, mostly because I went along with a camp that was designed to teach the kids (mostly in the 7th-9th grade range) about public transportation and getting around Chicago, so everyday they took the CTA somewhere around town. Imagine taking the L all the way from the Skokie Swift to Sox Park with 18 teenagers.

Game was fun, Sox staff was very cool, but man, did I want to kill myself by the time we got back to Dempster.

You likely were feverishly counting kids every 5 minutes praying that no one got lost or worse and having to answer the angry phone calls from parents. Talk about jobs that should have risk pay!

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-13-2011, 08:59 PM
When I was in high school, they asked every student that played a sport to participate in an optional fund raiser. I blew it off only to later learn that every student that participated got to go to the Sox game for a field trip. Boy was I ticked.

ewokpelts
03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
I'll have to see if we can leave the ballpark after Tom Skilling's seminar to do that...If so, then I will ask the students if they'd be interested. Since another chaperon is attending, I can always take the interested students with me and leave everyone else with him...It is a small enough group anyways.when i go to weather day, my ticket wasnt scanned. so i was allowed to head back out and re-enter.

you can always contact the sox rep in charge of weather day and ask. This is assuming that fenway can hook you up with teh truck peek.