PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Future

RKMeibalane
07-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Someone needs to contruct a time machine and use it to travel back in time to 1993. Once there, the individual in question must apprehend the twenty five-year-old Frank Thomas. He must then bring that Thomas forward in time to 2002.

This would, of course, alter the timeline somewhat. In all likelyhood, there would be no division title that season, nor would there be in 2000. There would be one positive, however. Frank's absence from the timeline would create an opportunity to bring Joe Crede up from the minors and at play him at first base, if nothing else.

Please note that I have been doing the following while typing this:

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

DVG
07-05-2002, 03:49 AM
And while you're at it, you can use the same time machine to go
back to April of 1992 to stop the Sammy Sosa for George Bell
deal.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by DVG
And while you're at it, you can use the same time machine to go
back to April of 1992 to stop the Sammy Sosa for George Bell
deal. Yeah, and bring the Sox all those world championships Sosa has brought to the Cubs.

By the way, I just looked at your profile, and you list your favorite Sox uniform as "mid-sixties blue pinstripes." In the mid sixties, the Sox pinstripes were black, and the Sox logo had red trim around black. The only Sox uniform in blue in my lifetime was the 1970 team, which lost 106 games. And, the uniforms did not feature pinstripes. However, the Flubs wore blue pinstripes. Hmmmmmm.

Chisox_cali
07-05-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank's absence from the timeline would create an opportunity to bring Joe Crede up from the minors and at play him at first base, if nothing else.

Nothing like a 15 year old first baseman!! :D:

Unless Joe Crede went in the time machine back to 93, which would I guess now would make him a 33 year old Minor League 3rd basemen, which will probably be his age when he finally gets called up to the Sox...

FarWestChicago
07-05-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, and bring the Sox all those world championships Sosa has brought to the Cubs.

By the way, I just looked at your profile, and you list your favorite Sox uniform as "mid-sixties blue pinstripes." In the mid sixties, the Sox pinstripes were black, and the Sox logo had red trim around black. The only Sox uniform in blue in my lifetime was the 1970 team, which lost 106 games. And, the uniforms did not feature pinstripes. However, the Flubs wore blue pinstripes. Hmmmmmm. LOL!! There's still a little Detective in the Professor. :D:

:nandrolone

Who needs championships? I've given my fans ZINGERS!!

DVG
07-05-2002, 11:36 PM
Yeah, and bring the Sox all those world championships Sosa has brought to the Cubs.

By the way, I just looked at your profile, and you list your favorite Sox uniform as "mid-sixties blue pinstripes." In the mid sixties, the Sox pinstripes were black, and the Sox logo had red trim around black. The only Sox uniform in blue in my lifetime was the 1970 team, which lost 106 games. And, the uniforms did not feature pinstripes. However, the Flubs wore blue pinstripes. Hmmmmmm.

Excuse me, Mr. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, but the White Sox of the
60's DID wear blue pinstripes. Perhaps "mid" sixities was sim-
ply a wrong choice of words. I should have said "Stanky Era"
of 1966-68. Check out any baseball cards or pictures from that
era, the pinstripes and logo most definitely are blue. Do a little
more research before you come Hmmmmmmmming at me again,
Mr. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by DVG
Excuse me, Mr. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, but the White Sox of the
60's DID wear blue pinstripes. Perhaps "mid" sixities was sim-
ply a wrong choice of words. I should have said "Stanky Era"
of 1966-68. Check out any baseball cards or pictures from that
era, the pinstripes and logo most definitely are blue. Do a little
more research before you come Hmmmmmmmming at me again,
Mr. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Were you even alive in 66-68? (oh, wait, I just looked. You were born after the end of the 68 season) The logo was still black in the late 60's, but the red trim around it disappeared. The color quality on baseball cards is not something I'd rely on.

I just went to my bookshelf and pulled out my Topps baseball cards book on the White Sox from 1952 to 1988. The late sixties still show black, although some have a faded gray look because of the bad color quality on baseball cards back then. I was actually attending games then, so what do I know?

In 1970 and 1971 the Sox wore blue I believe (I was away in the army,) but there were no pinstripes.

CubKilla
07-06-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Nothing like a 15 year old first baseman!! :D:

Unless Joe Crede went in the time machine back to 93, which would I guess now would make him a 33 year old Minor League 3rd basemen, which will probably be his age when he finally gets called up to the Sox...

Give the man a break! LOL. He said he was :gulp: during this post and God knows, as bad as the Sox are playing right now, :gulp: is the only way I can stomach watching the sCrUBS make a move to do something, anything, to right a sinking ship. Meanwhile, the Sox just trot out the same group of stiffs (Johnson/Alomar, Clayton, Ritchie, Wright, Lofton, Foulke, Batting Coach Ward, "F'n" Nardi, JM, KW) day in and day out, failing to realize that this team should not be where it is today. When are the White Sox going to do something

DVG
07-06-2002, 05:45 AM
Were you even alive in 66-68? (oh, wait, I just looked. You were born after the end of the 68 season) The logo was still black in the late 60's, but the red trim around it disappeared. The color quality on baseball cards is not something I'd rely on.

I just went to my bookshelf and pulled out my Topps baseball cards book on the White Sox from 1952 to 1988. The late sixties still show black, although some have a faded gray look because of the bad color quality on baseball cards back then. I was actually attending games then, so what do I know?

In 1970 and 1971 the Sox wore blue I believe (I was away in the army,) but there were no pinstripes.

I've looked in several places, one is "The White Sox Encyclopedia"
by Richard Lindberg. There is one page with a ton of memorabilia
in it. One of the items is a jersey from that era with number 11.
The jersey is blue with white trim. I know I wasn't alive back
then and am relying on the documentation of the era, but I'm
pretty sure that I'm not wrong on this.

Brian26
07-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Well, I haven't posted in ages, but I had to go get my password again because I think it's kinda important to defend a guy when he's right...

DVG is 100% absolutely correct!!!

The Sox did indeed have the blue pinstripes unis in the mid 60's.

My source for this: The Official MLB publication called "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century". I picked this back in 1994, and it actually has full illustrations and photos of every major league uniform and variation for every major league team for every year from 1900 to 1993. An unbelievable reference book and very cool coffee table/bathroom read.

Here's the scoop:

We're all familiar with the '59 Go-Go Sox uniforms. Those were worn, exactly as we remember them, until the end of the 1963 season. Those uniforms, of course, had the dark blue pinstripes with the dark blue sox old english logo (with a red border around it). The hats were dark blue as well with the "block" sox diagonally on them. The big change actually happened in 1964. DVG is correct. The pinstripes were changed to a lighter blue, and the sox old english logo was revised to be light blue with NO red border. The hats changed slightly in that the block "sox" no longer had a red border. These uniforms were worn, unchanged, through the 1968 season. Again, DVG was 100% correct.

In 1969, the unis were revised to remove the pinstripes. The light blue old english sox logo remained. The hat color stayed the same, with the major difference being that the hat now had the same old english sox on it instead of the "block" sox that had remained from the '59 uniforms.

Just wanted to interject that...I enjoy the discussion though.

Take Care,
Brian
brian2653@aol.com

RKMeibalane
07-06-2002, 03:05 PM
To clarify what I said about Crede:

I meant that because Thomas would not be with the team during the 1999-2001 years because he was travelling forward in time, Crede would have a spot on the roster. He would still be roughly the same age he is now. I wasn't talking about taking him back in time to fill Frank's shoes during the early 90's.

guillen4life13
07-07-2002, 01:03 AM
we could use the whole time machine thing for a whole bunch of stuff though! think!
we could:
1) bring Nellie Fox forward in time
2) bring shoeless joe forward
3) bring along ed cicotte
4) wilbur wood
5) lamarr Hoyt
6) blackjack (1992/'93 edition)
7) jaime navarro
8) wait a few years and trade sammy sosa for someone who's worth something (or just put maggs in lf, but i'd rather trade sosa for a lfer that can actually play in the field)
9) Bring the early '80's version of carlton fisk up
10) use a young ozzie guillen
11) keep robin ventura in his 1999 form

the list could go on forever.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
We're all familiar with the '59 Go-Go Sox uniforms. Those were worn, exactly as we remember them, until the end of the 1963 season. Those uniforms, of course, had the dark blue pinstripes with the dark blue sox old english logo (with a red border around it). The hats were dark blue as well with the "block" sox diagonally on them.Absolutely not. They were black. Jet black, with red borders. Not dark blue. Black.

The big change actually happened in 1964. DVG is correct. The pinstripes were changed to a lighter blue, and the sox old english logo was revised to be light blue with NO red border. The hats changed slightly in that the block "sox" no longer had a red border. These uniforms were worn, unchanged, through the 1968 season. You're going by a book, I'm going by memory. On this one it is possible that you're right, but I don't think so. I remember them being black, just without the red borders. Even in the Sox store at Comiskey, they have the black hats with the white only block letter SOX, as opposed to the '59 hat with red border. The only difference was the removal of the red border. I have a '59 hat. Did I mention that it's black?
http://www.cooperstown-collection.com/1959wsox.jpg
http://www.cooperstown-collection.com/1964wsox.jpg
http://www.cooperstown-collection.com/1968wsox.jpg
Okay, the picture of the '64 hat looks like it might be a very dark blue, but it is clearly not the same color blue as the '68 hat. And, the '59 hat is nothing but black.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Okay, okay, you kids! Stop fighting in the sandbox!!!!

:)

The Sox changed to the gothic "Sox" logo and BLACK colored trim uniforms in 1949. For most of those years, red was used as an accent color. It remained this way until 1963.

In 1964, the Sox introduced a similar uniform based on NAVY BLUE as the primary trim color. The red accents were removed entirely. They also ditched the road gray uniforms for what became the major fashion statement of the time, powder blue road togs. The advent of color TV probably had a lot to do with this trend.

In 1969, the Sox eliminated the navy blue pinstripes and went to plain white with ROYAL BLUE trim. The sanitary socks were blue with a white stirrup--truly a funky look. That lasted one more season before the Sox buried the concept--thankfully for good.

In 1971, the Sox went to red pinstripes. That lasted until 1976 when new owner Bill Veeck introduced the infamous navy and white pajamas.

All of this is documented in a superb book by Marc Okkonen published in 1991, Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century . If you can find a copy to read or buy, I recommend it highly. Given all the uniform changes made by the Sox, it's well worth it for Sox Fans like us.

Now, play nice. :smile:

Brian26
07-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Ok Ok, I'll play nice, as soon as I make one last point:

Nellie had to exclaim earlier in the thread:

MY reply is:
I think you owe DVG an apology. Based on what I and George have said, the mid-60's pinstripes were indeed blue. I wouldn't think it was such a big deal, except you went out of your way to look at this guy's profile and make a big complaint about it. It's not even something DVG posted in a message.

Anyway, we're all Sox fans, so we should just try to get along and not nitpick each other.

Go Sox!!!!

Nellie_Fox
07-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
[B]Ok Ok, I'll play nice, as soon as I make one last point:

Nellie had to exclaim earlier in the thread:

MY reply is:
I think you owe DVG an apology. Based on what I and George have said, the mid-60's pinstripes were indeed blue. I wouldn't think it was such a big deal, except you went out of your way to look at this guy's profile and make a big complaint about it. It's not even something DVG posted in a message.
B]I will apologize because I've been proven technically wrong. But I'll guarantee you that from the stands, those uniforms looked black, and no one thought of them or referred to them as "blue pinstripes." As you can see from the picture, they were extremely dark navy blue.

So, Brian, do you owe me an apology because you were wrong about the color of two out of three of them?