PDA

View Full Version : Dear KW, Grow a pair and cut Mark Teahen

doublem23
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
OK. It's over. Look, KW, I know you signed him for a few years, but this guy is absolute garbage and is a complete waste of a roster space. Time to face the music. He's basically doing everything he can to make a mockery of the art of playing thid base, he's not motivated by having his spot stolen by a B-level prospect, HE ****ING SUCKS. Cut him, trade him for nothing, I don't care, but he'd better not be on the roster Opening Day.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
If the Sox go with 12 pitchers, here's our roster

AJ Pierzynski
Ramon Castro
Paul Konerko
Gordon Beckham
Alexei Ramirez
Brent Morel
Omar Vizquel
Brent Lillibridge
Juan Pierre
Alex Rios
Carlos Quentin
Dayan Viciedo
Adam Dunn
**** YES

gobears1987
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
If the Sox go with 12 pitchers, here's our roster

AJ Pierzynski
Ramon Castro
Paul Konerko
Gordon Beckham
Alexei Ramirez
Brent Morel
Omar Vizquel
Brent Lillibridge
Juan Pierre
Alex Rios
Carlos Quentin
Dayan Viciedo
Adam Dunn
**** YES

I like that minus Viciedo. Put him down in the minors so he can play every day, get reps in the outfield, and most importantly learn how to work a count. A few months down the road, we can take a look at him up in Chicago.

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Does he have any of the stuff he slipped in the Braves' food when they agreed to the Linebrink deal left? If so, he needs to have lunch with the GM of the Twins or Tigers ASAP.

CPditka
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I would to trade him for nothing, even eat some salary, maybe the Phillies would want him to play 3rd (gasp) and move Polanco to 2nd{teal?}. The roster spot is not helping us what so ever. Even his twitter feed is boring.

I think if we keep him it would be at the expense of Bridge/Lastings/Dayan/DeAza.

Id rather have any of them, all for different reasons.

I know that we would be selling way low, but hey, were "All in".

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
The Bullfighter needs to go. Someone commented in another thread Teahan's glove is made of grease. Only thing this guy is missing is a red cape.

Tell KC they left their luggage behind. PLEASE.

#1swisher
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Injury-prone is an understatement.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/257/mark-teahen

SephClone89
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Come on, doub. You're a smart guy. You know that Viciedo needs to be in Charlotte.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Come on, doub. You're a smart guy. You know that Viciedo needs to be in Charlotte.

He's already probably a better defensive RF than Quentin and if you rotate off-days for TCQ, Dunn, and Konerko you can find him three starts per week while he does his work at the Major League level. Eventually guys need to be challenged to continue to grow, I don't know how much more he's going to learn to hit Major League pitching in the minors. All reports from Glendale are the he's in shape and he's already looking a bit more selective at the plate.

That said, I fully expect TCQ to have another extended streak of his manic depressive psychopath overanalyzation where he can't hit the god damn ball... Hello, Dayan!

I should also note that I have a raging clue for Viciedo. I see him hit and think SUPERSTAR.

At any rate, even if you want Viciedo in AAA (fully understand that position), the roster spot is still better spent on someone like De Aza or Millegde.

JB98
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I want Morel to win the 3B job. I'm pretty relieved that choice is looking like an obvious one at this point. I want no part of Teahen in our infield, especially with a pitching coach who instructs guys to pitch to contact and let the defense work. Well, Teahen's defense doesn't work.

LITTLE NELL
03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
He's already probably a better defensive RF than Quentin and if you rotate off-days for TCQ, Dunn, and Konerko you can find him three starts per week while he does his work at the Major League level. Eventually guys need to be challenged to continue to grow, I don't know how much more he's going to learn to hit Major League pitching in the minors. All reports from Glendale are the he's in shape and he's already looking a bit more selective at the plate.

That said, I fully expect TCQ to have another extended streak of his manic depressive psychopath overanalyzation where he can't hit the god damn ball... Hello, Dayan!

I should also note that I have a raging clue for Viciedo. I see him hit and think SUPERSTAR.

At any rate, even if you want Viciedo in AAA (fully understand that position), the roster spot is still better spent on someone like De Aza or Millegde.

With Viciedo looking promising in RF it could effect TCQ 2 ways; it could wind up that he has a monster year as he fears losing his job or being the head case that he is he might press a little too much for fear of losing his job. Could be quite interesting.

SephClone89
03-09-2011, 12:10 PM

That I can agree with.

Thome25
03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Doub:

AMEN BROTHER!! :bandance::bandance::bandance::dtroll::bandance: :bandance: :bandance::gulp::gulp::gulp:

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Horrible idea... this thing... this horrible horrible idea...

Viciedo should start the season in AAA and play everyday to continue to improve his OF skills. Teahen is the 25th man who adds some left handed pop off the bench and can field a few positions when needed even if poorly.

Cutting him saves no money.

Bad idea and one based on emotions, not logic.

sullythered
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM

LOL, me too. I think he's gonna be a hitting machine.

Agree completely on Teahen. He needs to go away.

tstrike2000
03-09-2011, 12:22 PM
If they can simply keep Teahen from being at any of the infield positions, then we're set. Unfortunately, late inning replacements sometimes require a place in the infield.

DirtySox
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Viciedo should start the season in AAA and play everyday to continue to improve his OF skills.

This. He's looked okay in RF, but the sample size is still extremely small. Along with his defense he needs to work on that plate discipline and AAA is much more conducive to that than in the Bigs.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Viciedo should start the season in AAA and play everyday to continue to improve his OF skills. Teahen is the 25th man who adds some left handed pop off the bench and can field a few positions when needed even if poorly.

Teahen adds zero pop, the guy's got a .415 career slugging percentage and .404 over the past 4 seasons. He is worthless. He can't hit. He's slow as ****. And he's a complete trainwreck in the field. And all to the tune of $10 M over the next 2 seasons! Yay!

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Teahen adds zero pop, the guy's got a .415 career slugging percentage and .404 over the past 4 seasons. He is worthless. He can't hit. He's slow as ****. And he's a complete trainwreck in the field. And all to the tune of $10 M over the next 2 seasons! Yay!

And cutting him saves the money how?

The final point has nothing to do with the discussion.

Let Viciedo get his reps in. He won't do that sitting on the bench.

SI1020
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Let Viciedo get his reps in. He won't do that sitting on the bench. Sometimes it's better to just cut your losses and forget about a guy.

kittle42
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM

I do tend to agree with you, voodoo, but there is always this fear: that Guillen plays Teahen more than any 25th man in baseball. See: Kotsay, Mark.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Cutting him doesn't save a dime, but it at least opens up a spot on the roster for someone who will actually contribute. Add to that, Viciedo's contract is already being paid by the Sox so cutting Teahen and replacing him with Dayan is a net loss of $0, and De Aza and Milledge can't be making more than league minimum, so it's fine there, too.

As for Dayan, look at Kendry Morales' progression in Los Angeles. I think that's a fine model to follow, as Morales was a raw Cuban player who needed a lot of work, too.

His progression:

2005 - 401 PA (AAA)
2006 - 488 PA (273 AAA, 215 MLB)
2007 - 401 PA (275 AAA, 126 MLB)
2008 - 423 PA (362 AAA, 66 MLB)
2009 - 622 PA (MLB)

If Dayan plays 3 games per week, spelling Konerko, Dunn, and Quentin that should come out to about 320ish PA on the year.

I do tend to agree with you, voodoo, but there is always this fear: that Guillen plays Teahen more than any 25th man in baseball. See: Kotsay, Mark.

Yes, this is also what I am terrified of. I would love to see KW step in and take this option away from Ozzie before it is too late.

Cut him, trade him and take on the salary, just make him vanish, every second he is on our roster, we are worse off for it.

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
It's not about the PA to me. Viciedo needs to find his legs in the OF and should be working there exclusively and regularly.

Add in that Teahan can in an emergency cover at least poorly every position save CF and it's a no-brainer to me.

And again, Viciedo gets paid regardless of where he plays so calling it a zero-sum game to promote him and cut Teahen seems an odd statement. The Sox are going to owe them both the money they are signed for regardless so cutting Teahen is still a loss of the aforementioned money and only if you look at it from the exclusive POV as to money spent on the big league roster does it approach the net-net argument offered.

Carolina Kenny
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM

I could not agree with you more. Dayan is a man. Bring him up, keep him up and enjoy the show.

I love me some Dayan

Carolina Kenny
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM

My love for the Sox IS emotional and not logical. I don't care, I hate Teahen, I don't want him ever to play 3B again, and Dayan captures the imagination the way Teahen never, ever will.

So keep Dayan with the big club and screw Teahen, dang gummit.

Noneck
03-09-2011, 02:05 PM
The Sox dont cut guys making that kind of salary.

Playing Viciedo once a week in the OF will never give him the opportunity to learn to play the position, that is if he can ever learn to play OF. In my eyes hes either a DH or a LFer, probably a DH so that means not on the Sox.

And who is going to play CF when Rios has a day off? Lillibridge? And who is the defensive replacement in RF? Both are quite scary.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
The Sox dont cut guys making that kind of salary.

Playing Viciedo once a week in the OF will never give him the opportunity to learn to play the position, that is if he can ever learn to play OF. In my eyes hes either a DH or a LFer, probably a DH so that means not on the Sox.

If Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye can be our RF for going on the 6th straight season now, Dayan will be just fine, I'm sure.

Noneck
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM
If Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye can be our RF for going on the 6th straight season now, Dayan will be just fine, I'm sure.

A man that has played a handful of games as a outfielder shouldnt be in RF. Cant compare him to Quentin and Dye.

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Okay so we've had sucky players there in the past so we should continue to allow sucky play there in the future? :dunno:

Maybe it's time to have a higher standard. In addition you don't want Viciedo over thinking his defense which might negatively impact his offense.

Let the kid learn his postion a bit. If he's doing well and his bat continues to shine they can call him up in May. Who knows they might actually be able to recoup a few million trading Teahen and some salary to someone in the process.

I agree Viciedo is a very exciting prospect and one who hopefully will be with the team for years to come and in the process put up some amazing and wonderful numbers, but there is simply no reason to rush him right now. A few months or even one more year in the minors might be the difference between him being a superstud and merely a stud.

Aren't we always complaining about the Sox rushing guys with major potential to fill (perceived) holes in the roster? How is this any different?

Hopefully next year Carlos goes back to left and Viciedo becomes a 10 year fixture in RF. But I completely disagree with the idea of him starting the season on the big league club at this moment in time. Maybe he changes my mind by the end of Spring Training but I doubt it. Too many guys have had awesome Springs merely to fall off a cliff in April when the lights get brighter.

Carolina Kenny
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Okay so we've had sucky players there in the past so we should continue to allow sucky play there in the future? :dunno:

Maybe it's time to have a higher standard. In addition you don't want Viciedo over thinking his defense which might negatively impact his offense.

Let the kid learn his postion a bit. If he's doing well and his bat continues to shine they can call him up in May. Who knows they might actually be able to recoup a few million trading Teahen and some salary to someone in the process.

I agree Viciedo is a very exciting prospect and one who hopefully will be with the team for years to come and in the process put up some amazing and wonderful numbers, but there is simply no reason to rush him right now. A few months or even one more year in the minors might be the difference between him being a superstud and merely a stud.

Aren't we always complaining about the Sox rushing guys with major potential to fill (perceived) holes in the roster? How is this any different?

Hopefully next year Carlos goes back to left and Viciedo becomes a 10 year fixture in RF. But I completely disagree with the idea of him starting the season on the big league club at this moment in time. Maybe he changes my mind by the end of Spring Training but I doubt it. Too many guys have had awesome Springs merely to fall off a cliff in April when the lights get brighter.

As usual you are correct. I hate being so grownup,serious and rational. Dang gummit.

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
As usual you are correct. I hate being so grownup,serious and rational. Dang gummit.

No worries, soon I'll post the Preseason Prediction thread and for however many years running we've been doing the contest I'll once again pick the Sox to win it all. (I've been right once so I'm as good as Baseball Prospectus I guess :tongue: (it's... a... joke...)). So I'm right behind you in terms of acting like a kid and "thinking" with my heart...:gulp:

doublem23
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
This thread has veered a bit too far to Dayan Viciedo, who I admit, I have an emormous mancrush on, and away from the intended target, that ****er Mark Teahen, who I would like to reassign to the Southern Antarctica Penguins of the Get the **** off My Baseball Team League.

Mark Teahen? **** that guy.

soltrain21
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
This thread has veered a bit too far to Dayan Viciedo, who I admit, I have an emormous mancrush on, and away from the intended target, that ****er Mark Teahen, who I would like to reassign to the Southern Antarctica Penguins of the Get the **** off My Baseball Team League.

Mark Teahen? **** that guy.

I'm with you. Letting Dayan mature and all of that aside, The Bullfighter ****ing sucks.

And, I would like to join your league. What is the prerequisite?

doublem23
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM
And, I would like to join your league. What is the prerequisite?

I'd recommend a coat.

kobo
03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I can see Teahen being on the roster until the All Star break with Viciedo spending that time at AAA. After the break, they start to shop Teahen to move him by the trade deadline and then bring up Viciedo. I still will never understand why KW gave Teahen that ****ing contract.

thomas35forever
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
He's got to have one of the worst contracts in the bigs. Yes, he needs to go.

Red Barchetta
03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I know in the end it's KW's decision on personnel, however who was the scout that talked KW into even considering Teahen? I don't know what "magic" he thought he saw, however I haven't seen a glimpse of it. :?:

If the SOX move him, they will have to eat some salary. Hopefully we can get a decent pullpen arm for him.

However, I think he's stuck here. :(:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-09-2011, 05:30 PM
:threadrules:

Mark, baby, the jig is up. You're, uh...you're not good.

The man is a bona-fide Sox killer, whether he's wearing a Sox uniform or not. Now, I know KW is going to keep him to justify the money, but damn, can this guy suck any louder? Mark Teahen, please go away. You're bad at baseball.

guillensdisciple
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM

HAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH I think I have the biggest clue for Viciedo

Tragg
03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Teahen's salary is a sunk cost. It's irrelevant to the discussion.
If there are 25 better players, cut him.
He can play multiple positions...poorly, but he can play them. That's in his favor a bit.

Daver
03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

If you want him to learn to play outfield, you send him to Birmingham, not Charlotte, and he'll face better pitching in AA.

voodoochile
03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
If you want him to learn to play outfield, you send him to Birmingham, not Charlotte, and he'll face better pitching in AA.

Wherever he can get comfortable soonest. His bat does appear to be close to ML ready but if he's gonna go full time OF he shouldn't be sitting the bench and getting occasional time at 1B and 3B and DH. He should be playing the OF every day.

Daver
03-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Wherever he can get comfortable soonest. His bat does appear to be close to ML ready but if he's gonna go full time OF he shouldn't be sitting the bench and getting occasional time at 1B and 3B and DH. He should be playing the OF every day.

Birmingham truly is a ballpark where flyballs go to die, and his bat is nowhere near MLB ready.

soxfanreggie
03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Add in that Teahan can in an emergency cover at least poorly every position save CF and it's a no-brainer to me.

Can't any player cover any position poorly? The utility guy is the one that can be average or better.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Can't any player cover any position poorly? The utility guy is the one that can be average or better.

Yeah, exactly, Teahen plays defensive positions in name only. Every time a ball is hit to him at 3B, I cringe.

WhiteSox5187
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Birmingham truly is a ballpark where flyballs go to die, and his bat is nowhere near MLB ready.

His bat probably is, but his plate discipline is not.

JB98
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Yeah, there's a difference between being a utility guy and sucking at multiple positions.

Omar Vizquel is a utility guy. Mark Teahen sucks at multiple positions.

I don't know how important the 25th guy really is, but it says a lot about Teahen that he's not considered any better than Milledge/De Aza/Lillibridge.

voodoochile
03-10-2011, 12:57 AM

Yeah but we'd already have De Aza and Omar for defensive replacements. Teahen would be an emergency defender only but in that emergency can cover any infield position (or allow Omar to go to SS and take over Omar's old spot) or cover either corner slot.

And again we are talking about an emergency situation.

It's the 25th man on the bench slot. Why would you want to put Viciedo in that position?

voodoochile
03-10-2011, 12:59 AM
His bat probably is, but his plate discipline is not.

This is a valid point and one he can also work on in the minors more than he can sitting last man on the Sox bench.

And yes, I meant his ability to hit for average and power seemed close to ML ready. I agree his ability to judge and take pitches needs work.

doublem23
03-10-2011, 01:07 AM
It's the 25th man on the bench slot. Why would you want to put Viciedo in that position?

Because Viciedo wouldn't be the 25th man? He'd be the backup COF and backup DH, so he'd see a lot more PT? I thought we were all in agreement one of the main reasons PK had such a fantastic year last season was that he was able to routinely rest throughout the season, keeping him fresher. Dayan gives the Sox the chance to rest Konerko, Dunn, and Quentin regularly while not being a total black hole for offense and quite frankly, can't be any worse than a lateral move to Quentin in the OF defensively.

Plus, as has been pointed out, I think we all know what's going to happen if Teahen opens the season on the Sox roster. We can sit here and logically argue about why Mark Teahen should be the last man on the bench and how his presence is not consequential because he won't see much time anyway, but Ozzie don't play that way. As soon as Morel has a bad stretch, you just know Teahen's going to be seeing PT every other day, botching balls, tripping over bags, completely sucking at baseball in every conceivable way. I have very little faith in Ozzie's ability not to play him, the only hope we have of not seeing a health dose of Teahen in 2011 is if KW nuts up and just dumps him for nothing.

The only thing Teahen brings to the Sox at this point is someone for us to collectively focus our hatred on. He's the new Kotsay!

:putitontheboard

HebrewHammer
03-10-2011, 01:26 AM
This thread is amazing.

It's like WSI users need spring training to remember how to properly piss and moan about the Sox properly. Some of us are in midseason form already.

That being said, Teahan must have pics of KW in a compromising position. Simply put, he's not good at baseball.

Nellie_Fox
03-10-2011, 01:41 AM
If Viciedo is ever going to be a productive player, he needs to be playing every day, not subbing at DH, first, and outfield. He needs to get regular AB to learn how to not be a strikeout machine, and he needs to get reps at a regular position, not be bounced around.

Dunn and Viciedo in the same lineup is 400 strikeouts a year.

doublem23
03-10-2011, 03:08 AM
I'll concede the point that Viciedo will definitely benefit from regular PT in the minors in regards to his hitting, but come on, you guys are making it sound like a corner OF spot is suddenly SS. It's not a difficult position to pick up, and Dayan has had experience in RF previously in Cuba.

Carlos Lee spent a total of 9 games in the OF in his entire minor league career before becoming an everyday LF for basically his entire 12-year career at this point and he's been, at least statistically, an relatively harmless LF (-3.3 cumulative dWAR over the 1st 10 seasons of his MLB career) until the past 2 years when his age and weight seem to be catching up to him.

And again, he'd be spelling guys like Juan Pierre and Carlos Quentin. It's not like we have the Angels' defensive OF.

voodoochile
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll concede the point that Viciedo will definitely benefit from regular PT in the minors in regards to his hitting, but come on, you guys are making it sound like a corner OF spot is suddenly SS. It's not a difficult position to pick up, and Dayan has had experience in RF previously in Cuba.

Carlos Lee spent a total of 9 games in the OF in his entire minor league career before becoming an everyday LF for basically his entire 12-year career at this point and he's been, at least statistically, an relatively harmless LF (-3.3 cumulative dWAR over the 1st 10 seasons of his MLB career) until the past 2 years when his age and weight seem to be catching up to him.

And again, he'd be spelling guys like Juan Pierre and Carlos Quentin. It's not like we have the Angels' defensive OF.
Why push it? Give the kid a month at least.

russ99
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
That being said, Teahan must have pics of KW in a compromising position. Simply put, he's not good at baseball.

Yeah, that .563 average and a homer and double today really shows how he's not good at baseball.

I swear if Sox fans didn't have anything to whine about, they'd never be happy.

The guy is going to make the team, and so far it looks like he's going to contribute. What's the issue here??

:scratch:

HebrewHammer
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that .563 average and a homer and double today really shows how he's not good at baseball.

I swear if Sox fans didn't have anything to whine about, they'd never be happy.

The guy is going to make the team, and so far it looks like he's going to contribute. What's the issue here??

:scratch:

http://www.baseballgloves.com/assets/images/rawlings-baseball-glove.bmp

Have you seen one of these before? Apparently Mark has not and is incapable of figuring out how to use one.

doublem23
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
**************!!!

cards press box
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
According to this report (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/viciedo-out-3-4-weeks-with-right-thumb-fracture.html), Viciedo suffered a broken thumb after being hit by a pitch today. The Sox will surely put him on the DL. I would also expect the Sox to send him to Charlotte after his thumb heals to continue working on his outfield play.

Viciedo has had a great spring up to this point. I hope he continues to develop as an outfielder. It sure seems that he will be a force in the middle of the lineup for years to come.

Here is my question: if Viciedo is ready to play a corner OF slot full time in 2012, who does he replace?

doublem23
03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Here is my question: if Viciedo is ready to play a corner OF slot full time in 2012, who does he replace?

Neither starting corner OF is guaranteed anything past this season; Pierre is a FA and Quentin still has 1 year of arbitration left. Depending on their performance in 2011, I could see them both gone.

russ99
03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Have you seen one of these before? Apparently Mark has not and is incapable of figuring out how to use one.

So what. It takes all kinds to make up a big league club, and I doubt the fielding prowess of a part-time player will make or break our season.

As for the comparison between Omar and Teahen at 3B, they both had -5 runs saved last year, while Omar had more chances and less errors.

Still, the drop off isn't as severe as you think, especially if Teahen can contribute at the plate.

Milledge has subpar fielding numbers too, but nobody's assuming that he's useless because of his glove.

Seems to me the guy is a whipping boy because his 10 errors were much more visible than his 114 other chances at 3B last season and the ridiculous idea of hating a player because of his contract.

soltrain21
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
So what. It takes all kinds to make up a big league club, and I doubt the fielding prowess of a part-time player will make or break our season.

As for the comparison between Omar and Teahen at 3B, they both had -5 runs saved last year, while Omar had more chances and less errors.

Still, the drop off isn't as severe as you think, especially if Teahen can contribute at the plate.

Milledge has subpar fielding numbers too, but nobody's assuming that he's useless because of his glove.

Seems to me the guy is a whipping boy because his 10 errors were much more visible than his 114 other chances at 3B last season and the ridiculous idea of hating a player because of his contract.

I don't think a poor fielding, poor hitting guy who doesn't really play any position well is part of a good "make up of the club."

Brewski
03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
He goes 3 for 5 and the thread dies down. That shows how deep your emotion is and how much sense you make. He won't join the long list of overpaid players who have been written a check and told to go away. I'd like to see a copy of that long list, if any of you General Managers In Waiting have the time.

Two things are certain:He swings a left-handed bat that might come in handy and I never want to see him at third base again. You might see him alot of other places, all of which he will play fairly to poorly. If he has a nice spring, some other sucker might take him in a trade if Kenny eats some salary.

Hitmen77
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM

I hate this kind of logic of comparing quality of a 3B based on official errors. It's not just about errors. It's about hard hit balls that a good defender can stop whereas it gets by a mediocre 3B for a hit (in some cases a double). When you have people like Teahen playing 3B, teams get a lot more hits and it's not because the 3B flubbed the play. He simply couldn't make a great play on the ball. That's not an "error" but it does impact how successful the other team is against Sox pitching.

When you have "pitch to contact" guys in your rotation, this is an important issue.

He goes 3 for 5 and the thread dies down. That shows how deep your emotion is and how much sense you make. He won't join the long list of overpaid players who have been written a check and told to go away. I'd like to see a copy of that long list, if any of you General Managers In Waiting have the time.

:?: I'm not in favor of cutting Teahen and have no problem with him being on our roster as a utility player, but do you really think this discussion died down because Teahen went 3 for 5 in an exhibition game? Seriously?

soxfanreggie
03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Based on current offensive performance, Teahen is doing "better" right now:

Teahen is now 9-for-17 with three extra-base hits, while Brent is 0 for his last 10.

However, we have to decide what production is more important at that position (offense, defense, or a combination of both), as well as the likelihood that Teahen's offensive success will continue when it matters - the regular season.

voodoochile
03-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Based on current offensive performance, Teahen is doing "better" right now:

Teahen is now 9-for-17 with three extra-base hits, while Brent is 0 for his last 10.

However, we have to decide what production is more important at that position (offense, defense, or a combination of both), as well as the likelihood that Teahen's offensive success will continue when it matters - the regular season.

Well defensively we have Omar and De Aza as first options (or Milledge if he beats out De Aza) so personally I'd rather keep one more stick on the bench. In addition you aren't going to see Dunn and Konerko play 162 games apiece this year. Now you can rotate the DH a bit using the aforementioned players in a position and giving that position a day at DH, but having one more stick on the bench beats the heck out of one more glove, IMO. We will find more uses for it.

TheVulture
03-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Keeping him on the roster saves no money either. If you're paying Viciedo and Teahen six million combined, you're paying them six million combined no matter which one is on the roster. If Viciedo is the better player, you are using your six million more effectively with Viciedo on the roster.

Obviously a moot point at the moment, but in a month the question will come up again. Teahen's salary will be better spent if he's not on the roster, IMO.

TheVulture
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

So what? If playing time is based on batting stats from a few spring training games, Brian Anderson would be entrenched in the middle of the Sox batting order right now.

MARTINMVP
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM

As much as I too hate Teahen, it is more important to think with logic and how to best utilize our long-term potential. Viciedo will benefit the best with everyday playing time in the minors... for now.