PDA

View Full Version : Greinke to the DL?

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
It was just reported on The Score that Zack Greinke broke a rib playing basketball in the offseason and might start the season on the DL....

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Thats nuts-- I just saw this actually as a tweet-- heres a link.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41977050/ns/sports-baseball/

not a lot of info... I wonder how long he'll be out.

all*star quentin
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Who does he think he is, D-Rose? I read on MLB twitter that he'll be out 2-4 weeks.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Who does he think he is, D-Rose? I read on MLB twitter that he'll be out 2-4 weeks.

I've been following this since it broke(:redneck), it looks like he might miss 2 or 3 starts. It sucks, but nothing that serious.

Foulke You
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
According to this article, Grienke didn't violate his contract by playing basketball:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/melvin-greinke-did-not-violate-contract.html

I find it hard to believe that a player that makes as much money as Grienke doesn't have language in the contract forbidding them from playing any contact or limited contact sport. :scratch:

ComiskeyBrewer
03-09-2011, 01:31 AM
According to this article, Grienke didn't violate his contract by playing basketball:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/melvin-greinke-did-not-violate-contract.html

I find it hard to believe that a player that makes as much money as Grienke doesn't have language in the contract forbidding them from playing any contact or limited contact sport. :scratch:

From the Brewer's GM:

"The contract stipulates against playing 'competitive' basketball," said Melvin. "They don't want you playing in men's leagues or things like that. If he had suffered a severe injury playing in a men's league, there probably would be repercussions with his salary.

"I talked with Zack about it. I heard from him first-hand today about it. I told him there's no sense having any mystery about it, to just say what happened. He could go out and get hurt playing golf. You never know what players are going to do. You just ask guys to be careful with what they do."

Also, i doubt you want to fine a guy when you are trying to lock him up long term.

TDog
03-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Am I the only one who remembers when the Cubs during the offseason had a basketball team that played exhibitions in Chicagoland. I remember seeing them play some team in East Chicago. I don't remember all of the players on the court, but Ron Santo was among them and signed autographs after the game. Ferguson Jenkins, of course, played with the Harlem Globetrotters during the offseason early in his career, so he was probably on the court that night, too.

Teams didn't have the financial investment that they do in players today, but still, you would think they could have sanctioned injuries that could have made the team appreciably less competitive.

As for Greinke, I've always thought he was an accident waiting to happen, but this is a surprise. I'm sure it won't be his last.

Moses_Scurry
03-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Am I the only one who remembers when the Cubs during the offseason had a basketball team that played exhibitions in Chicagoland. I remember seeing them play some team in East Chicago. I don't remember all of the players on the court, but Ron Santo was among them and signed autographs after the game. Ferguson Jenkins, of course, played with the Harlem Globetrotters during the offseason early in his career, so he was probably on the court that night, too.

Teams didn't have the financial investment that they do in players today, but still, you would think they could have sanctioned injuries that could have made the team appreciably less competitive.

As for Greinke, I've always thought he was an accident waiting to happen, but this is a surprise. I'm sure it won't be his last.

I remember the Bears playing basketball for charity back in the '80's. I think it was the year after the superbowl, the "Good News Bears" came to my small podunk town (Mt. Morris, IL) and played against a team of local guys that all used to play high school ball. They tried to ham it up like the Harlem Globetrotters. The high school gym was packed beyond belief and my friends and I all were sitting in the front row. We would have been 12 at the time. After the game, the Bears players all sat at a table and signed autographs for us.

There were only 5 of them with Otis Wilson being the biggest name. I know Mark Bortz was there and then three guys we had never heard of (probably practice squad guys).

It was a great time and amazing that they came to Mt. Morris, but I would imagine that if Otis Wilson had blown out his knee, it would have been pretty bad and put an immediate end to the practice.

Hartman
03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
C'mon...just because you're a pitcher shouldn't mean you can't play a game of pickup basketball :rolleyes:

Pretty soon there's going to be language in contracts that states that the player must sit in a room with no furniture whilst not at the ballpark.

C-Dawg
03-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Pretty soon there's going to be language in contracts that states that the player must sit in a room with no furniture whilst not at the ballpark.

Well, like they say, most accidents happen at home.... :gulp:

MUsoxfan
03-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I remember the Bears playing basketball for charity back in the '80's. I think it was the year after the superbowl, the "Good News Bears" came to my small podunk town (Mt. Morris, IL) and played against a team of local guys that all used to play high school ball. They tried to ham it up like the Harlem Globetrotters. The high school gym was packed beyond belief and my friends and I all were sitting in the front row. We would have been 12 at the time. After the game, the Bears players all sat at a table and signed autographs for us.

There were only 5 of them with Otis Wilson being the biggest name. I know Mark Bortz was there and then three guys we had never heard of (probably practice squad guys).

It was a great time and amazing that they came to Mt. Morris, but I would imagine that if Otis Wilson had blown out his knee, it would have been pretty bad and put an immediate end to the practice.

I remember the same thing happening at Argo. I was too young to remember details, but I definitely remember that.

eriqjaffe
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM

It was a great time and amazing that they came to Mt. Morris, but I would imagine that if Otis Wilson had blown out his knee, it would have been pretty bad and put an immediate end to the practice.I saw a couple of those "Good News Bears" games back in the late '70s. Payton would occasionally make an appearance, so the gyms were always packed hoping he'd play, but he didn't when I saw 'em.

What I do remember, though, was that they'd all come out and sign autographs after the game - my parents have a picture of me with Revie Sorey. From what I remember, I was completely starstruck, and the picture sure makes me look that way.

Foulke You
03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
C'mon...just because you're a pitcher shouldn't mean you can't play a game of pickup basketball :rolleyes:

If I'm a GM handing over $38 million over 4 years to Zack Grienke, the only sports he would be allowed to play besides baseball would be the ones available on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

eriqjaffe
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
If I'm a GM handing over $38 million over 4 years to Zack Grienke, the only sports he would be allowed to play besides baseball would be the ones available on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3....and what happens when he sprains his thumb? When will the madness end?