PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Want Weekend "Festivals" For Yanks, Cards, White Sox Series

Hitmen77
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2011/03/cubs-want-weekend-festivals-around-wrigley-during-yankees-cardinals-white-sox-series.html

Rosenbloom at the Trib offers his opinion on this proposal:
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2011/03/cubs-have-a-new-plan-for-partying-a-plan-for-winning-um-er-well-.html

doublem23
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I personally like it. Can never have enough street fests in the summer. I definitely hope they do this for Sox weekend.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Glad to see they're focusing on how to put together a winning baseball team.

doublem23
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM

How is this any different than what the Sox are doign with Comiskey's?

SOXPHILE
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2011/03/cubs-want-weekend-festivals-around-wrigley-during-yankees-cardinals-white-sox-series.html

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2011/03/cubs-have-a-new-plan-for-partying-a-plan-for-winning-um-er-well-.html

I like Rosenbloom's take. They went over this in the same way yesterday on B & B. My opinion is that it would definatly not be family oriented, or it will very quickly descend from being family oriented to just another extension of the bleachers. But, then again, I don't really care. The Cubs can do whatever they want. It doesn't matter, the emperor still has no clothes, (or championship banners younger than 103 years old).

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
How is this any different than what the Sox are doign with Comiskey's?
Opening up a restaurant is the same as closing off a street for a drunkfest? Maybe you don't get to too many street fests or maybe you havn't been to too many restaurants, even sports bars, to notice the slight difference.

Also, Comiskey's will be a revenue generator for the Sox, the Wrigley Party does not appear to be a revenue generator for the Cubs. The Cubs' plan looks like just another excuse to get drunk with a trixie. Huge difference.

doublem23
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Opening up a restaurant is the same as closing off a street for a drunkfest? Maybe you don't get to too many street fests or maybe you havn't been to too many restaurants, even sports bars, to notice the slight difference.

Also, Comiskey's will be a revenue generator for the Sox, the Wrigley Party does not appear to be a revenue generator for the Cubs. The Cubs' plan looks like just another excuse to get drunk with a trixie. Huge difference.

NO **** the logistics are different, but in the end both are business ventures that have nothing to do with baseball on the field.

Oh, and please tell me you're not naive enough to buy the MBA speak from the Cubs front office that they won't be making any money off this. You really think they want to roll out a whole new set of headaches with the city, the alderman, and local businesses for something that's not going to net them a dime? Even if they're not directly profiting off the sale of tickets or food, I'm sure the bean counters have projected what having a 3-day festival around the park would mean to the Cubs' bottom line.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
NO **** the logistics are different, but in the end both are business ventures that have nothing to do with baseball on the field.

Oh, and please tell me you're not naive enough to buy the MBA speak from the Cubs front office that they won't be making any money off this. You really think they want to roll out a whole new set of headaches with the city, the alderman, and local businesses for something that's not going to net them a dime? Even if they're not directly profiting off the sale of tickets or food, I'm sure the bean counters have projected what having a 3-day festival around the park would mean to the Cubs' bottom line.
The Cubs could be doing this to make nice with their business neighbors who will profit from the increase in business. Expect the Cubs to make some serious zoning requests over the next few years regarding the salvaging of Wrigley that will require cashing in on the goodwill with their business neighbors.

PatK
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Seems like a recipe for violence.

No thanks

kittle42
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
This will barely change the gameday experience around Wrigley except to maybe get a few more folks out there who otherwise do not have tickets to the game. I mean, it's *already* a drunkfest. The difference is one could drink out on the street instead of at Bernie's or Murphy's or some such place.

Overall, though, fine by me. I'd attend if I was either going to a game or meeting someone in the area.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM

No thanks
:scratch:
It's not a gang summit. It's just like any other street fair in summer.

kittle42
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Agreed. That was a curious comment.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Agreed. That was a curious comment.

I just think that when you get that many drunks into an area of that size, fights will occur. It could turn into the sort of situation that shut down the South Side Parade.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I just think that when you get that many drunks into an area of that size, fights will occur. It could turn into the sort of situation that shut down the South Side Parade.
Not even close. There will not be crowds anywhere near the size of the parade nor will there be numerous backyard parties over a large multi-block area.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Not even close. There will not be crowds anywhere near the size of the parade nor will there be numerous backyard parties over a large multi-block area.

Wrigley holds 40,000 and the Cubs are now selling the idea of a party around the ballpark where no ticket is needed. It is not inconcievable that you could get around 20,000 hanging out in the cordoned off areas (including the bars around the area), that would mean 60,000 people there on a given day and if you get those numbers every day for those series (which doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility) you would have 180,000 around Wrigley for a weekend. I could see how that could turn ugly quickly and put a drain on the police force.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Wrigley holds 40,000 and the Cubs are now selling the idea of a party around the ballpark where no ticket is needed. It is not inconcievable that you could get around 20,000 hanging out in the cordoned off areas (including the bars around the area), that would mean 60,000 people there on a given day and if you get those numbers every day for those series (which doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility) you would have 180,000 around Wrigley for a weekend. I could see how that could turn ugly quickly and put a drain on the police force.
Still nowhere close to the size of the SSI Parade crowd. Much more compact area, too.

I also think 20k outside the ballpark is very optimistic. The Police and Fire Depts. won't allow that many in such a small space.

DSpivack
03-08-2011, 04:57 PM

I would doubt that.

Brian26
03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
It seems the Cubs are going out of their way in the article to present the idea as a "family entertainment" festival.

Most street fairs in Chicago are nothing but glorified beer gardens (with perhaps better food options).

It seems like there are mixed signals being shown here, IMHO. I don't see how you pull this off as a "family event".

Brian26
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
This will barely change the gameday experience around Wrigley except to maybe get a few more folks out there who otherwise do not have tickets to the game. I mean, it's *already* a drunkfest. The difference is one could drink out on the street instead of at Bernie's or Murphy's or some such place.

Overall, though, fine by me. I'd attend if I was either going to a game or meeting someone in the area.

I'm fine with the concept (not that I have any say in it anyway), but the stance by the Ricketts that its a "family entertainment festival" is complete bull****. Call it what it is.

Thome25
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

No thanks

Except you're going to have both Sox fans and Cubs fans who have been drinking on the street and will be occupying the same space at the same time.

Seems like the recipe for a disaster....or a brawl. Whichever comes first.

TomBradley72
03-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I've always thought this would be a nice idea for 35th street "under the walkway"-

ewokpelts
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM

it's just the cubs' way of copying the red sox ....again.

this screams yawkey way

ewokpelts
03-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm fine with the concept (not that I have any say in it anyway), but the stance by the Ricketts that its a "family entertainment festival" is complete bull****. Call it what it is.revenue generator?

ewokpelts
03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
How is this any different than what the Sox are doign with Comiskey's?comiskey's is an actual establichment. that dosent get folded up on monday.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
comiskey's is an actual establichment. that dosent get folded up on monday.

So please explain to me how that relates to running a baseball team more than setting up a street fest.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Except you're going to have both Sox fans and Cubs fans who have been drinking on the street and will be occupying the same space at the same time.

Seems like the recipe for a disaster....or a brawl. Whichever comes first.

You have the same dynamic at every one of the games and there's never an all-out brawl. Sure, you'll have some instances where knuckleheads throw punches, but it certainly never denegerates into a complete melee.

Warm sun. Cold beer. One of Chicago's nicest neighborhoods. Seems like the recipe for fun.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-09-2011, 08:25 AM
This will start out with the best intentions - an outdoor event, focusing on community, family and the sport. It will quickly denigrate into a drunk fest, which will cause it to be shut down in only a few years time.

It will be the South Side Irish Parade, only on Sheffield instead of Western.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
This will start out with the best intentions - an outdoor event, focusing on community, family and the sport. It will quickly denigrate into a drunk fest, which will cause it to be shut down in only a few years time.

It will be the South Side Irish Parade, only on Sheffield instead of Western.

I really don't think the two are comparable. The city of Chicago has countless outdoor street fests all summer long that are not completely out of control. ****, Octoberfest in my neighborhood has been around for almost 100 years (that's 60 more than the SSI Parade) that's centered around being a drunk fest, but it's OK because the location is manageable.

They're talking about closing what? 2 city blocks that are already heavily commercial anyway.

It'll be fine.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Doub:

Totally valid point. I didn't say it before because I didn't want to lean in that direction, but IMO if it goes bad they'll equate it to the "south siders" causing the ruckus. While we've beaten the issue to death re: SSIP about the busloads of people that came into the area to "celebrate", this will get slanted to give Sox fans/south siders a black eye.

I know, I shouldn't care....

Frontman
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
it's just the cubs' way of copying the red sox ....again.

this screams yawkey way

Actually, the first thing I thought of was new Cowboys stadium. Jerry Jones has a parking lot.....errrr, a "cordoned off party area" and charges admission.

This looks to me more like the Ricketts trying to charge money for people to stand around their ballpark and watch games on TV's, exactly like Jones did with Cowboys stadium.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
This looks to me more like the Ricketts trying to charge money for people to stand around their ballpark and watch games on TV's, exactly like Jones did with Cowboys stadium.

That's probably the long-term goal, but the current proposal has free admission.

Frontman
03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
That's probably the long-term goal, but the current proposal has free admission.

Then the Ricketts/Cubs will control the vending going on. They're not about to do this without making money and finding an additional revenue stream from it.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Then the Ricketts/Cubs will control the vending going on. They're not about to do this without making money and finding an additional revenue stream from it.

No doubt, I argued that point about 25 posts back or so, but the point remains that it would still be free to enter, so it seems like everyone's covered...

Those that think its stupid can just do something else.

Those that just want to come and enjoy the atmosphere can and don't have to buy a ticket to do so.

Those that want to come and drink outside because you can only do that about 1/4 of the year up here, can do that to.

Win-win-win.

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't live anywhere near Wrigley, so I have no problem with it (not that my feelings about count with anyone important).

To compare this with the South Side Irish Parade is a serious stretch. This is just going to be another street fest, plain and simple. Most of the people who go to the North Side street fests also go to Cub games, so it won't be all that much different. Since this will be during the ballgame and Wrigley has the same no re-entry rules all other sports teams have, you're just getting a bunch of people who want to attend a street fest.

The South Side Irish Parade was a one-day event covering a huge area. It also took place before the street fest season in Chicago (March), so it was akin to Opening Day for street fests-minus the food booths. Also, the Parade had a "Family section," the east side of Western.

ewokpelts
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
So please explain to me how that relates to running a baseball team more than setting up a street fest. the team is NOT running the restaurant. gibson's is.

nor do they "run" any of the concession stands or even the parking lots.

i think the issue here is that the cubs are apparently making this a bigger priority than the baseball operations.

ewokpelts
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
one point to consider. this is a private corporation renting out the public way as a means to generate more revenue for the private corporation. yet sheffield still has apartment dwellers across from wrigley. has anyone asked what those people plan top do during these "neighborhood festivals?"

likei stated before, this is the cubs' attempt to close off the streets behind wrigley and replicate what the red sox do.

look here:
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide#Y

Yawkey WayYawkey Way is an extension of the Fenway Park concourse during Red Sox home games and other special events. This public street is blocked off to traffic three hours before game time, and reopens to ticketed Red Sox game patrons once the ballpark officially opens. You'll find concessions, live music, family entertainment, the NESN pregame show, the official Red Sox Team Store, Autograph Alley, and more. Yawkey Way runs from Brookline Avenue at Gate A to Van Ness Street at Gate D.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
the team is NOT running the restaurant. gibson's is.

nor do they "run" any of the concession stands or even the parking lots.

i think the issue here is that the cubs are apparently making this a bigger priority than the baseball operations.

Wait, are you trying to tell me the Sox don't operate their own parking lots?

And how is this "bigger" than the baseball operation? They've proposed 9 games (11% of their home schedule). And as was pointed out, the Red Sox do the same thing and they somehow find a way to win baseball games.

Bottom line, if you find yourself taking the same stance on a topic as Steve Rosenbloom, you're obviously wrong.

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
one point to consider. this is a private corporation renting out the public way as a means to generate more revenue for the private corporation. yet sheffield still has apartment dwellers across from wrigley. has anyone asked what those people plan top do during these "neighborhood festivals?"
The same thing apartment dwellers at the locations of other street fests do.

ewokpelts
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Wait, are you trying to tell me the Sox don't operate their own parking lots?

And how is this "bigger" than the baseball operation? They've proposed 9 games (11% of their home schedule). And as was pointed out, the Red Sox do the same thing and they somehow find a way to win baseball games.

Bottom line, if you find yourself taking the same stance on a topic as Steve Rosenbloom, you're obviously wrong.standard parking operates the lots. it says so on the parking pass.

dont be cute.

by the way, ricketts has made off field issues MUCH bigger than the on field product since he took over the team.

ewokpelts
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
The same thing apartment dwellers at the locations of other street fests do.this is NOT block party. this is ricketts trying to undercut the bars around wrigley. bars he gets NO profit from.

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
standard parking operates the lots. it says so on the parking pass.

dont be cute.

by the way, ricketts has made off field issues MUCH bigger than the on field product since he took over the team.
The Sox have a contract with Standard to operate the lots. The Sox get a cut of the revenues.

By the way, I've met Doub, and he's very cuddly and cute.

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
this is NOT block party. this is ricketts trying to undercut the bars around wrigley. bars he gets NO profit from.
The bars have said they are in favor of this plan. Why do the hundreds of bars that are located at or near the street fests tolerate the fests?

ewokpelts
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
The Sox have a contract with Standard to operate the lots. The Sox get a cut of the revenues.

By the way, I've met Doub, and he's very cuddly and cute.

yeah. no ****. that's my point.

just like how they have CONTRACTED gibson's to operate comiskey's.

comiskey's is more like the captain morgan club than a thinly disguised beer garden on the public way.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM

No disagreement, and if I were a diehard Cub fan, maybe I'd take more offense to the idea, but I'm not. It combines some of my favorite summertime past-times; (1) being outside, (2) getting drunk, (3) throw a little baseball in.

At least, unlike the Ricketts' past mistakes in the PR Department, there seems to be some real benefit to the fans with this idea. Unlike the giant noodle, Toyota sign in LF, raising ticket prices, and trying to get the state to pay for Wrigley renovations, there's an actual pay-off for fans here, even if its just an afternoon of entertainment.

Finally, as a resident of the city, I am all for any way to get people to come to Chicago and empty their wallet. Tax revenue FTW.

kittle42
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
No disagreement, and if I were a diehard Cub fan, maybe I'd take more offense to the idea, but I'm not. It combines some of my favorite summertime past-times; (1) being outside, (2) getting drunk, (3) throw a little baseball in.

At least, unlike the Ricketts' past mistakes in the PR Department, there seems to be some real benefit to the fans with this idea. Unlike the giant noodle, Toyota sign in LF, raising ticket prices, and trying to get the state to pay for Wrigley renovations, there's an actual pay-off for fans here, even if its just an afternoon of entertainment.

Finally, as a resident of the city, I am all for any way to get people to come to Chicago and empty their wallet. Tax revenue FTW.

ALL this.

Do any of the folks opposed to this idea ever attend any of the myriad street fests around the north side during the summer? This is just another one. No more, no less - except there will be a game going on 100 feet away.

All these concerns - too many people, Cubs/Sox fans being close to each other and fighting, etc. - this happens ALL THE TIME ANYWAY. Why would this particular thing - giving fans one more option of something to do in Wrigleyville before/during/after these games - change anything? It will arguably bring a few more people in. Those comparing it to the SSI parade are being silly. You can already drink outside at street fests all over the north side. Hell, you can drink outside at beer gardens right across the street from Wrigley.

Street fests are fun. I'll be attending some of these. Why the hell not?

DumpJerry
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Actually, this could be a dangerous idea. Given the sorry state of affairs of the Cubs' roster and the fact that they want to do this during the Yankee, Cardinals and White Sox series, there is a high probability of home runs landing on the heads of the buzzed ones on Sheffield. All three teams have some serious firepower and, unlike Thome, I can see Dunn getting a start at First for one game and coming off the bench in the 8th or 9th for the other two. Then there is Pujols who is in a contract year.......

cws05champ
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I think the Alderman in the article had a good point...I don't think they are against the idea. But this is not just for one or two days, it's for 9!! Do you really need a festival around Wrigley for 9 days out of the year when there are so many other festivals going on in the city.

And whether they want to admit it or not, this will hardly be a family atmosphere. That is the thing that Rosenboob is saying. The Cubs are trying to pass off the long standing tolerance of a drunk fest at Wrigley as a family event...just because there is a speed pitch game there.

This may be a fun for the Yankees series, but there is no reason to have it for the Cards series, and especially for the Sox series. Emotions are already heightened by the two teams playing, you don't need to throw more of a loose, booze soaked atmosphere in.

GlassSox
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
It's another Chicago street festival(s) and it is the individual's choice to attend or stay away.

My only concern is fighting when the Sox or Cards are playing at Wrigley. I have seen Cubs fans & Cards fans getting nasty and even fighting in Lincoln Park when the Cards are in town. The alcohol lingers in the judgement long after the game is over.

ewokpelts
03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
It's another Chicago street festival(s) and it is the individual's choice to attend or stay away.

My only concern is fighting when the Sox or Cards are playing at Wrigley. I have seen Cubs fans & Cards fans getting nasty and even fighting in Lincoln Park when the Cards are in town. The alcohol lingers in the judgement long after the game is over.it's not a street festival. it's a private corporation renting out the [public way for the private corporation's benefit. A move that WILL take business away from other private companies(the bars on sheffield).

this is the cubs' way of getting the public to support thier own version of yawkey way.

DumpJerry
03-10-2011, 07:49 AM
it's not a street festival. it's a private corporation renting out the [public way for the private corporation's benefit. A move that WILL take business away from other private companies(the bars on sheffield).

this is the cubs' way of getting the public to support thier own version of yawkey way.
We get it. You don't like the idea. You don't like the Ricketts family. I don't know why and I really don't want to know. Last time I checked, the Ricketts owned the Cubs and not the White Sox.

ewokpelts
03-10-2011, 08:03 AM
We get it. You don't like the idea. You don't like the Ricketts family. I don't know why and I really don't want to know. Last time I checked, the Ricketts owned the Cubs and not the White Sox.Actually, I think Tommy Boy Ricketts was the PERFECT choice to own the Cubs.

Crap like this only will help the Cubs from never sniffing a WS title. And turn the fans against him and his billion dollar toy.

I dont like how the Cubs' brass just assumes that every cockamamie scheme the Rickett's brain trust comes up with is "good for the city" as much as it's good for the Cubs' bottom line.

And, btw, this is NOTHING like Comiskey's, seeing as Comiskey's is not on the public way, and is a controlled enviroment.

doublem23
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
it's not a street festival. it's a private corporation renting out the [public way for the private corporation's benefit. A move that WILL take business away from other private companies(the bars on sheffield).

First off, it's a ****ing street festival. Maybe it won't be at the administrative level, but on the day of, in the middle of it all, I'm sure it will feel exactly the same as any of the hundreds of street fests that dot the city every summer. And even that can probably be changed, the Cubs don't have to be the beneficiary of this event, make it the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce or the Cubs' charity wing and now it's the exact same thing as any other fest.

And please, stop the line of "this is going to hurt business at the bars!" line unless you have something that proves otherwise. I haven't heard a peep from any bar in Wrigleyville say this will be anything other than good for them. If YOUR OPINION is that it won't be, that's fine, but don't try and pass it off as fact.

ewokpelts
03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
First off, it's a ****ing street festival. Maybe it won't be at the administrative level, but on the day of, in the middle of it all, I'm sure it will feel exactly the same as any of the hundreds of street fests that dot the city every summer. And even that can probably be changed, the Cubs don't have to be the beneficiary of this event, make it the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce or the Cubs' charity wing and now it's the exact same thing as any other fest.

And please, stop the line of "this is going to hurt business at the bars!" line unless you have something that proves otherwise. I haven't heard a peep from any bar in Wrigleyville say this will be anything other than good for them. If YOUR OPINION is that it won't be, that's fine, but don't try and pass it off as fact.it may NOT hurt the bars. you are right about that. but i think it's INTENT is. especially the bars further away.

it should be pointed out that the bars on sheffield alongside the park are rooftop partners with the cubs.

Gavin
03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't like the Cubs but I don't mind going out in Wrigleyville from time to time because there's no other area in Chicago with that many sports bars. That said, Wrigleyville on a Cubs day is expensive and crowded.... and pretty full of dbs. At least the beer fests in Lincoln Square aren't packed full of lacoste shirts and visors.

Dan H
03-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with ewokpelts on one things: The Cubs seem more concerned in marketing their team than putting a contending team on the field. That is fine with me since I don't care if the Cubs ever go the World Series.

Frontman
03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I agree with ewokpelts on one things: The Cubs seem more concerned in marketing their team than putting a contending team on the field. That is fine with me since I don't care if the Cubs ever go the World Series.

Actually though; the Ricketts should focus on this sort of thing and leave the baseball operations to a baseball minded GM.

Now if the Ricketts ever get around to HIRING a baseball minded GM, then they'll be a step in the right direction.

PatK
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm not saying a full scale riot is going to happen, but do you think that cramming more people from two fan bases that generally dislike each other into a small area isn't going to have any problems?

Look at the behavior exhibited during Cubs vs Sox games. It's ugly.

kittle42
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not saying a full scale riot is going to happen, but do you think that cramming more people from two fan bases that generally dislike each other into a small area isn't going to have any problems?

That block of Sheffield is already blocked off before and after games. All the Cubs are doing is putting some entertainment there. Why does everyone act like this is going to attract an extra mob? It's like taking the Murphy's Bleachers beergarden and extending it a whole block. I don't think you'll see any more or less violence and stupidity than you do now.

kobo
03-10-2011, 03:22 PM

How many more people is this really going to attract though? There are already enough people down in that area when a game is going on, I don't see thousands more people showing up just because there is some sort of festival like atmosphere added.

DumpJerry
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
And please, stop the line of "this is going to hurt business at the bars!" line unless you have something that proves otherwise. I haven't heard a peep from any bar in Wrigleyville say this will be anything other than good for them. If YOUR OPINION is that it won't be, that's fine, but don't try and pass it off as fact.

The news story I saw said the bars support the idea.

it may NOT hurt the bars. you are right about that. but i think it's INTENT is. especially the bars further away.

it should be pointed out that the bars on sheffield alongside the park are rooftop partners with the cubs.

The intent? Now that sounds like something Charlie Sheen would say. Why would the Cubs want to drive out of business the main component of what draws people to their beautiful baseball stadium? You know, the convenient bars outside the park......

What bars "further away" would be hurt by this? Cork & Kerry?

Two fan bases that generally dislike each other? I think most Cub fans have gotten over what Babe Ruth and the Yankees did to them in the 1938 World Series. As far as White Sox fans are concerned, we're all neighbors, friends and family members not to mention also Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks fans.

Whenever I go to street fests in Chicago, I see many people wearing White Sox, Cubs and Cardinals hats and no trouble ensued.

PatK
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Whenever I go to street fests in Chicago, I see many people wearing White Sox, Cubs and Cardinals hats and no trouble ensued.

Maybe my line of thinking is messed up, but I think there is a difference between the average street fest and one being held at a venue where a Cubs/Sox game is taking place.

Although I guess it shouldn't matter to me, as I avoid the those games like the plague the last several years

kittle42
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Maybe my line of thinking is messed up, but I think there is a difference between the average street fest and one being held at a venue where a Cubs/Sox game is taking place.

I really don't think this whole thing is going to be any different than any other Sox/Cubs games at Wrigley in the past except that there will be a few more beer and food and entertainment tents set up 50 feet from Wrigley. Otherwise, same old, same old.

Frontman
03-10-2011, 04:27 PM
How many more people is this really going to attract though? There are already enough people down in that area when a game is going on, I don't see thousands more people showing up just because there is some sort of festival like atmosphere added.

Street fairs seem to be the talk of the town. WGN said the Miracle Mile stores plan on a shopping fair for late in the summer.

The only thing that puzzles me is that even in their studies, they say it should increase sales by 10%. It sounds like an awful lot of work/expense to make that little of a return.

doublem23
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Although I guess it shouldn't matter to me, as I avoid the those games like the plague the last several years

I mean, yeah, there probably will be a knucklehead or two that will try to act hard and maybe throw a punch, but I really don't see a full out brawl ensuing. The Cubs and Sox have been playing each other for over 15 years now (wow) and the games have been mostly civil.

soxlady8
03-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Well said ... I could not agree more --
I think they are already waving the white flag even before the season starts !

LongLiveFisk
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I mean, yeah, there probably will be a knucklehead or two that will try to act hard and maybe throw a punch, but I really don't see a full out brawl ensuing. The Cubs and Sox have been playing each other for over 15 years now (wow) and the games have been mostly civil.

I was hoping this was the case, because I've been avoiding the crosstown classic like the plague myself. Hard for me to enjoy myself if there's too much buffoonery going on.

doublem23
03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I was hoping this was the case, because I've been avoiding the crosstown classic like the plague myself. Hard for me to enjoy myself if there's too much buffoonery going on.

I don't really feel there's any more buffoonery at those games than what you get at the usual 1/2 Price Monday games. It's just what happens when 40,000+ people are all packed in together, you're just going to find two wanna-be tough guys throw some fists.

LongLiveFisk
03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't really feel there's any more buffoonery at those games than what you get at the usual 1/2 Price Monday games. It's just what happens when 40,000+ people are all packed in together, you're just going to find two wanna-be tough guys throw some fists.

Exactly. I avoid those too!

TheVulture
03-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Most street fairs in Chicago are nothing but glorified beer gardens (with perhaps better food options)....

I don't see how you pull this off as a "family event".

You've obviously never been to one of my family's reunions.

Smokey Burg
03-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm confused. Listening to cub fans I was under the impression that every weekend series at Wrigley was a festival.

Foulke You
03-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree. I've been going to crosstown games since interleague play began. I've seen some occasional buffoonery but you're right, no more than you'd see on a half price Monday and the baseball games are usually exciting which is why I go.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I think they are already waving the white flag even before the season starts !

This new ad campaign focuusing on fan nostalgia ("What will you remember?") and not on the current team speaks volumes.