PDA

View Full Version : MLBPA head says no major labor issues for MLB

Fenway
03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/08/shoptalk_pleases_red_sox/

Donald Fehr and Gene Orza are long gone, JR has come to accept the players association. Bottom line, neither side wants another 1994.

ewokpelts
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
mlb and thePA KNOW that a work stoppage will KILL all the good will(and revenue) built up over the last 17 years.

are there issues in the sport? yes. but it look slike both sides want to keep the train running

SI1020
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
November baseball is here to stay I guess.

Fenway
03-08-2011, 11:26 AM

It beats no baseball in October

ewokpelts
03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
barring bad weather, it's not going to happen in 2011

Hitmen77
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
This is not surprising since MLB/the owners are making record profits and players (even mediocre ones) are making record salaries. Both sides are happy.

It sounds from this article that the biggest issue might be revenue sharing. The other issue is the amateur draft.

asindc
03-09-2011, 09:35 AM
This is not surprising since MLB/the owners are making record profits and players (even mediocre ones) are making record salaries. Both sides are happy.

It sounds from this article that the biggest issue might be revenue sharing. The other issue is the amateur draft.

This, along with revenue sharing, is the biggest issue facing MLB. The revenue sharing/salary cap issue will be much more difficult to solve, but the amateur draft issue centers mainly around international players being excluded. There is no rationale for that exclusion. Selig did mention in a radio interview that he recognizes it as a problem that needs to be addressed. I'd like to believe him, but I am not holding my breath.

downstairs
03-09-2011, 01:40 PM

They changed the schedule so this doesn't happen any more.

TDog
03-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Exponentially better than football in November, if that's the case.

Maybe labor-management differences will shut down all the other sports, and there will only be baseball. That isn't going to happen, especially considering the NHL broke their union. But I can dream.

SI1020
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
They changed the schedule so this doesn't happen any more. Even if they decide to add wild card teams?

SI1020
03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Exponentially better than football in November, if that's the case.

Maybe labor-management differences will shut down all the other sports, and there will only be baseball. That isn't going to happen, especially considering the NHL broke their union. But I can dream.
I prefer baseball to all other sports too, but not to the extent that I want to push the others off the sporting map.

downstairs
03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Even if they decide to add wild card teams?

Good point. I really hope they don't do this.

Viva Medias B's
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Let baseball take advantage should the NFL's labor issues manifest themselves this fall.