PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Rodriguez

Vsahajpal
07-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Ryan thew 6 shutout innings for Mesa yesterday, allowing just 2 hits, while striking out 5 (without a walk); he's 1-0, 1.20 thus far in 3 starts.

LongDistanceFan
07-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Ryan thew 6 shutout innings for Mesa yesterday, allowing just 2 hits, while striking out 5 (without a walk); he's 1-0, 1.20 thus far in 3 starts. well if he and royce continues to improve, i may have to eat my words about the draft.......... :D:

btw what is your take on the 5 rounder i believe, the ss we drafted out of grosse point.

CerberusWG
07-04-2002, 03:05 PM
We haven't signed him yet, I believe.

CerberusWG
07-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Draft Signees (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/whitesox02.html)

rmusacch
07-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Ryan thew 6 shutout innings for Mesa yesterday, allowing just 2 hits, while striking out 5 (without a walk); he's 1-0, 1.20 thus far in 3 starts.

I can understand a high school pitcher starting in Rookie Ball but I would think Royce would have started at at least low level A ball considering he is just out of college. Anyone know why he started so low?

Daver
07-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I can understand a high school pitcher starting in Rookie Ball but I would think Royce would have started at at least low level A ball considering he is just out of college. Anyone know why he started so low?

Because he has already pitched a complete season in college this year,so he was put on a short season team till next season to get an idea of what he throws.I would speculate that he will be with Winston Salem next season.

CerberusWG
07-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Royce Ring is with Winston Salem now....

LongDistanceFan
07-04-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
We haven't signed him yet, I believe.
thanks, i know that and i appreciate your info. but i wanted to know more of what kind of prospect he is at ss vs whether the sox are going to try to convert him someplace else.

delben91
07-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Royce Ring is with Winston Salem now....

In fact, he pitched a scoreless inning of relief last night, allowing one walk and one hit, no K's, against Frederick in Carolina League action.

stefaninsane
07-05-2002, 09:04 AM
The Sox seem to do a better job of drafting & developing pitchers than hitters. Btw, was Rob Purvis overdrafted or what?

kermittheefrog
07-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
well if he and royce continues to improve, i may have to eat my words about the draft.......... :D:

btw what is your take on the 5 rounder i believe, the ss we drafted out of grosse point.

Ya know I'm really not worried much about this draft. It was clearly a weak draft and the Sox spent some of their budget on draft and follows right before. So even if the Sox didn't draft any eye popping early rounders I think they were wise in their approach from the standpoint of a team that can't spend cash like the Yankees. Like anyone can spend cash like the Yankees....

CerberusWG
07-05-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
The Sox seem to do a better job of drafting & developing pitchers than hitters. Btw, was Rob Purvis overdrafted or what?

Well, the Sox usually draft pitching first, which is a good priority. We have drafted a ton of pitchers, and some have reached the big time, while some are getting there.

We do have some good hitters in our organization, actually.

I'll list them off by position:

1B-Rogowski
2B-Aaron Miles (Old, but putting up great numbers at AA)
3B-Crede (duh)
SS-Andy Gonzales, Tim Hummel, Guilleremo Reyes
OF-Borchard (duh), Anthony Webster, Spidale
C-Olivio, Lisk

Kind of dry, but it's better than nothing.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 12:46 PM
How has Alex Fernandez been doing?

kermittheefrog
07-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
How has Alex Fernandez been doing?

High average, no power or walks. His numbers are starting to make me think Julio Ramirez.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

High average, no power or walks. His numbers are starting to make me think Julio Ramirez.

Crap. I was hoping we'd have a real Rule V steal.

What about his defense skills? Anyone know?