PDA

View Full Version : DiMaggio's hitting streak should have ended at 35

Fenway
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/03/05/2011-03-05_yankees_sluggers_hit_streak_chronicled_in_56_jo e_dimaggio_and_the_last_magic_num.html

St Louis Browns Manager Luke Sewell ordered his pitcher to walk DiMaggio and the pitcher Bob Muncrief refused....and he told Sewell that if you take me out of this game I will let everybody know what you did. DiMaggio doesn't deserve this.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/bob_muncrief_autograph.jpg

Bruizer
03-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Bob Muncrief showed a lot of character and integrity. I love stories like this.
:cool:

Fenway
03-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Amen..

I don't think that record will ever be broken...Ichiro when he was younger was a possibility but

DiMaggio had he hit safely to go to 57 would have received $10,000 from Heinz to promote 57 varieties..the ads were all set to go in major newspapers.

http://therandom.me/wp-content/uploads/heinz57.jpg

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
^^Thats true... I just saw that actually in the ken burns Baseball documentary.

I too, love stories like this :)

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Leave it to a Red Sox fan to point this out.

^^Thats true... I just saw that actually in the ken burns Baseball documentary.

I too, love stories like this :)
Ken Burns did a documentary on the history of baseball in Boston and New York City. To call it an overall baseball documentary is a stretch.

SephClone89
03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Ken Burns did a documentary on the history of baseball in Boston and New York City. To call it an overall baseball documentary is a stretch.

Yeah, yeah. She did capitalise "Baseball", though...she was just using the proper noun...you know, the goddamn name of the documentary.

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, yeah. She did capitalise "Baseball", though...she was just using the proper noun...you know, the goddamn name of the documentary.

True... that IS the reason I capitalized it... because it was the name of the documentary in which I heard about the Heinz 57 $10,000 would-be promo

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear my post was over your head. I was just making an editorial comment on Burns' production. I have no idea why you're talking about whether or not it the word "baseball" was in upper case or not, I said nothing about that.

TheVulture
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Hmm, he was ordered to walk Dimaggio and served up a hit instead. If I was that manager that kid would have been on the next bus to AAA, or whatever they had back then. Last I checked it's the pitchers job to win the game, not give an opposing player another chance to extend his hitting streak.

FreeBuck12
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Hmm, he was ordered to walk Dimaggio and served up a hit instead. If I was that manager that kid would have been on the next bus to AAA, or whatever they had back then. Last I checked it's the pitchers job to win the game, not give an opposing player another chance to extend his hitting streak.

theres kind of an unwritten rule in baseball that goes with the whole "you give the guy his chance" thing... if pitchers walked every guy that might get an epic hit, baseball would be a very very boring sport.

The streak is one of the biggest records in baseball and is part of what makes the sport so appealing to players and fans alike.

I think it shows more balls to face the guy and give him a chance than to take the "easy way out"

Most any pitcher would have responded the same way.

Brian26
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Yet, ken burns' name wasn't capitalized.

Railsplitter
03-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Just like the Phildelphia A's pitchers giving Ted Williams pitches to hit in the season ending double header. Williams' batting average going into that game was rounded up to .400. In fact it was .39955. They pitched to Ted and gave him a chance for a legit .400.

I haope somebody puts on a 20th anniversary edition of Robert Creamer's Baseball in '41. If not try your local library. It's a great account of the 1941 season with a few slices of life mixed in from "The summer before the War."

Fenway
03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Just like the Phildelphia A's pitchers giving Ted Williams pitches to hit in the season ending double header. Williams' batting average going into that game was rounded up to .400. In fact it was .39955. They pitched to Ted and gave him a chance for a legit .400.

I haope somebody puts on a 20th anniversary edition of Robert Creamer's Baseball in '41. If not try your local library. It's a great account of the 1941 season with a few slices of life mixed in from "The summer before the War."

Manager Joe Cronin wanted Ted to sit - Williams just glared at him.

He hit a homer that day that was said to be the hardest hit ball in the history of Shibe Park - it dented a loud speaker on top of the RF wall.

.400 was special but nobody could even fathom it would never be done again. Ted in 1957 came close at .388