PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

doublem23
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Or has this Spring Training been kind of quiet so far? Is it because the Sox are losing a bunch, or there's no real position battles, or what?

Corlose 15
03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Or has this Spring Training been kind of quiet so far? Is it because the Sox are losing a bunch, or there's no real position battles, or what?

The Sox always lose a bunch in Spring Training. I think it's because the only major position battle is the 4th outfielder. I guess you could say 3B but I think Morel already has that locked up even if they haven't said anything.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Is it the Bulls garnering most of the coverage sportswise because of their success?

eastchicagosoxfan
03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Quiet anticipation tempered with realism. On paper, the team looks pretty good, but there are always question marks. Will Konerko duplicate last year? Will the pitchers collectively pitch well? Morel? Ozzie? Kenny? Peavy? Can Sale close for a whole year? Will the team start out average, at least in April and May? Defense!!! It was such a streaky team last season, who shows up? Losing streak or winning streak team? I just want to get through Spring training without injuries, and get Peavy back healthy.

russ99
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Isn't the first few weeks of ST about the minor leaguers making a push to earn their way onto the big club?

Generally big league teams don't get their rotations setup, bullpen slots decided and position battles decided until the last week or two.

The Sox are a little different this year with the vets getting more playing time in early games but I still don't expect major decisions until next week the earliest.

Moses_Scurry
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
As I get older, I care less and less about the preseason. I haven't followed any of the games. To me it is still just an extension of the winter. True spring won't begin until opening day.

Since the Sox haven't made any trades or major moves, and nobody on the team has gotten injured, there's not that much that is interesting.

Peavy is the guy I am most interested in, but I'm also nervous every time he throws a pitch, so I am waiting it out until the season starts to follow him closely.

pythons007
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I could care less if the Sox lost all their preseason games. I just want them to figure out who is going to pitch in certain situations in the bullpen. Who can come off the bench to hit, run, or play defense. I want Peavy back strong and I want the offense to click right out of the gate. I don't want what happened last April and May!!

asindc
03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
This time last year, these boards were being lit up on an hourly basis with the Thome/Jones/Kotsay/Damon DH issue. In the preceding years, it was the Rowand/Anderson/Wise CF issue. It seems that the De Aza/Lillibridge 4th OF issue does not generate the same kind of passion.:smile:

bigsoxfan420
03-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Is it the Bulls garnering most of the coverage sportswise because of their success?

I think you may be correct.

My current sports priorities:
1. Hawks
2. Bulls

3. White Sox Spring Training

g0g0
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Quiet indeed. Not much drama happening anywhere that I can think of, except the Cubs dugout!

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
It's not you. Let's review what has happened since Pitchers and Catchers reported:

1. Cubs fight like schoolyard punks in the dugout.
2. The Bulls play like they have Michael and Co. at their prime.
3. The Blackhawks play like the first four months of this season never happened.
4. The only major position battle for the Sox is Third. Teahen has been playing like his glove is coated with grease.
5. LaBron can't stop crying.

The only big news from Sox camp is Peavy and most of us have not expected as much news as we have gotten and since it is positive, there is no teeth gnashing.

However, since we open the season on the road, there will be pissed off Sox fans by the time we get to the home opener even if the team is 7-0 with nothing but perfect games tossed by the rotation. We're Sox fans.

Boondock Saint
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
However, since we open the season on the road, there will be pissed off Sox fans by the time we get to the home opener even if the team is 7-0 with nothing but perfect games tossed by the rotation. We're Sox fans.

I'm already getting the antacids ready. Baseball's a-coming. :D:

guillensdisciple
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
i am really excited that the Sox are coming soon, but unfortunately the Bulls and Blackhawks hold way too much attention for spring training to matter right now. I read all I can about it on ESPN and WhiteSox.com but I don't go out of my way to watch the games but depend more on box scores.

Foulke You
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
The Sox roster is pretty much set. If we were a team with 3 or 4 open position battles, the Spring Training games might be more interesting but right now it is a bunch of guys "getting their work in". I do agree that this has been the most uneventful ST in quite a while. The only noise was the whole Bobby Jenks/Ozzie thing and that was pretty minor.

TDog
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
As I get older, I care less and less about the preseason. I haven't followed any of the games. To me it is still just an extension of the winter. True spring won't begin until opening day.

Since the Sox haven't made any trades or major moves, and nobody on the team has gotten injured, there's not that much that is interesting.

Peavy is the guy I am most interested in, but I'm also nervous every time he throws a pitch, so I am waiting it out until the season starts to follow him closely.

This probably describes the reasons I haven't been paying attention to spring training, although different people have found other reasons not to care as much as they might expect.

When I lived in Arizona in my 20s and 30s, it was different because spring training was right there. I would arrange to get the afternoon off to go out to the ballpark and such. There was the thrill of having baseball come and surround me for a month. Not being in that situation later made me care less about spring training. I've been to enough spring exhibition games to know how unfulfilling they actually are, I wouldn't go to the trouble of vacationing around spring training because it wouldn't be the same. I have no interest in watching spring training games on television and don't pay attention to exhibition scores.

I keep updated on players' preseason progress, but the games are irrelevant to me. Of course, it was a lot different when I was in high school in Northwest Indiana.

Carolina Kenny
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I have little interest in Spring Training games.
Spring Training is too long for the players and the fans.

Shorten Spring Training, shorten the season play a balanced schedule and get rid of interleague play.

After that you could increase the playoff games which would be more interesting.

DumpJerry
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
The other position question is Closer. However, all the names mentioned thus far do not cause us to question the mental functioning of the Sox' brass. While everyone has their favorite for the spot, it's not a situation where if a different guy gets it, people will jump off a cliff.

Unless, of course, Teahen is made the Closer.

Hitmen77
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
In addition to the battle for the 4th OF spot, I'd like to see somebody in the Sox camp step up and earn a bullpen spot.

But, I guess that competition isn't big news either. Nonetheless, I think this spot will be more important than just the 7th man in the pen.

As far as that OF spot, with Quentin's history of injuries, I think that player is going to see a lot of playing time. I'd like to see if Viciedo, Milledge, or Danks can play their way onto the team.

DirtySox
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
As far as that OF spot, with Quentin's history of injuries, I think that player is going to see a lot of playing time. I'd like to see if Viciedo, Milledge, or Danks can play their way onto the team.

Hahn said on the radio that Dayan will likely be in AAA. He needs everyday reps offensively, and in the OF. The bench is no place for him right now.

TDog
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I have little interest in Spring Training games.
Spring Training is too long for the players and the fans.

Shorten Spring Training, shorten the season play a balanced schedule and get rid of interleague play.

After that you could increase the playoff games which would be more interesting.

The length of spring training has no bearing on the length of the season. This isn't a sport where pre-season games are played in regular-season stadia. You aren't being required to buy pre-season tickets as part of your season-ticket package. Most fans are oblivious to spring training.

The way pitchers are worked anymore, you probably need a month before most starters are ready for the regular season. (And even then ... but I digress.) Shortening the exhibition season could have a detrimental effect on pitchers in the regular season.

The exhibition season isn't too long for fans because it doesn't concern many fans. The exhibition games are played at the end of winter in metropolitan Phoenix and Florida, not in Minneapolis and Boston. Going to see spring training games aren't about hoping your team will win. It's about being out in the sun around baseball in a more intimate setting that reminds you how much you love summers filled with baseball.

I suppose if you don't like baseball, you could shorten the season. But for many baseball fans, there are just two seasons, baseball season and the off-season.

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
common guys.. just today oney guillen tweeted about how he cursed at older women for talking about him at a game.. who says nothing exciting is happening?

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
The length of spring training has no bearing on the length of the season. This isn't a sport where pre-season games are played in regular-season stadia. You aren't being required to buy pre-season tickets as part of your season-ticket package. Most fans are oblivious to spring training.

The way pitchers are worked anymore, you probably need a month before most starters are ready for the regular season. (And even then ... but I digress.) Shortening the exhibition season could have a detrimental effect on pitchers in the regular season.

The exhibition season isn't too long for fans because it doesn't concern many fans. The exhibition games are played at the end of winter in metropolitan Phoenix and Florida, not in Minneapolis and Boston. Going to see spring training games aren't about hoping your team will win. It's about being out in the sun around baseball in a more intimate setting that reminds you how much you love summers filled with baseball.

I suppose if you don't like baseball, you could shorten the season. But for many baseball fans, there are just two seasons, baseball season and the off-season.

I completely agree--- anyone who says "get rid of spring training" has no idea the prep time most players HAVE to have to get ready for the season...

not to mention... all the minor leaguers it affects--> those guys need time too and have to be evaluated to be placed in the correct league.

rcescato
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Isn't the first few weeks of ST about the minor leaguers making a push to earn their way onto the big club?

Generally big league teams don't get their rotations setup, bullpen slots decided and position battles decided until the last week or two.

The Sox are a little different this year with the vets getting more playing time in early games but I still don't expect major decisions until next week the earliest.

If you notice the Red sox, yankees, and phil all start st slow too. But they better pick it up last 2 weeks. I hate any kind of losing!!

Daver
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I completely agree--- anyone who says "get rid of spring training" has no idea the prep time most players HAVE to have to get ready for the season...

This was true 40 years ago, not so much today. free agency changed all that.

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
4. The only major position battle for the Sox is Third. Teahen has been playing like his glove is coated with grease.

Yes, but Teahen makes up for it with a throwing arm that is half Bobby Douglass, half Gaylord Perry.

FreeBuck12
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM

What do you mean? Almost every pro ball player ive talked to has said the same thing--- "I hate spring training but we have to have it..." Most agree that even with prep work at home in the offseason they couldn't go into the regular season as well prepared if they didnt have spring training. most of the pitchers see live batters for the first time in spring training. They dont usually take the games overly seriously but they def take the prep work seriously... VERY seriously. ---> these guys are getting to spend time with coaches and other teammates to get ready for the season.. they dont just show up at the field and play a game every day... 80% of their time is spent working out and working with trainers/coaches/other teammates. Spring Training is not, contrary to some's belief, for the fans.

Daver
03-08-2011, 09:50 PM
There is no way I am going to try and decipher that mess to give you an answer.

Brian26
03-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Correct. Today you don't have guys working part-time jobs in the offseason installing furnances or working as mechanics to supplement their income and help get by. Players back then would have never dreamed of having their own home gyms or batting cages in their basements.

Bucky F. Dent
03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I am very happy with quiet.

TDog
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Correct. Today you don't have guys working part-time jobs in the offseason installing furnances or working as mechanics to supplement their income and help get by. Players back then would have never dreamed of having their own home gyms or batting cages in their basements.

Players come to camp in much better shape than they used to, certainly, but pitchers are coddled more. Pitchers came into camp more out of shape, but by opening day, many of the staff aces were pitching complete games. In recent years, I've been reading how pitchers coming into season need more work before they are able to go deep into games. I don't see pitchers be as ready to begin the season if spring training were shortened much.

I'm not suggesting the exhibition season is at its necessary length, but players don't simply need to be in shape. They need their timing. Players need to be able to work together. Some need more. Some need less. Spring training is what it is, and it would be as long as it is even if teams were only working out on their own.

The length of spring training isn't at all a hardship on the fans, though. It isn't like it's cutting into the regular season.

Bob Roarman
03-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Is it just me or does Peavy scare the **** out of anyone else seeing him pitch so far in ST? That delivery, holy ****, that's just ASKING for his arm to fall off again a month or so into the season.

thomas35forever
03-09-2011, 01:20 AM
It's not just you. I've barely found the motivation to read game recaps on the team's website.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Is it just me or does Peavy scare the **** out of anyone else seeing him pitch so far in ST? That delivery, holy ****, that's just ASKING for his arm to fall off again a month or so into the season.

Every time Peavy touches the ball, I feel I will not be able to breath until at least mid-May.

Dayan had another OF assist yesterday, as well, throwing out a guy at home. Too bad he can't play any CF or he'd probably be a shoe-in as the 4th OF right now.

Chez
03-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Dayan had another OF assist yesterday, as well, throwing out a guy at home. Too bad he can't play any CF or he'd probably be a shoe-in as the 4th OF right now.

You're probably right about Viciedo not being the ideal fourth OF; but Juan Pierre could play CF if Rios needed an occasional day off.

Moses_Scurry
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Every time Peavy touches the ball, I feel I will not be able to breath until at least mid-May.

I think I'm going to feel this way until his contract ends.

doublem23
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
You're probably right about Viciedo not being the ideal fourth OF; but Juan Pierre could play CF if Rios needed an occasional day off.

Maybe at the Cell, but I can only imagine Juan Pierre trying to throw a ball into the IF from the furthest depths of Comerica or Target Field's CF. First time in professional baseball history all 4 IF will need to touch the ball on a relay to 2B.

TDog
03-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Without taking Peavy's recent surgery into account, Sale's delivery would scare me more.

Of course, you can't look at Peavy without taking his recent surgery into account.

Moses_Scurry
03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Without taking Peavy's recent surgery into account, Sale's delivery would scare me more.

Of course, you can't look at Peavy without taking his recent surgery into account.

Sale scares me, too. But the fact that he hasn't been seriously injured yet (to my knowledge) makes me not think about it when he pitches.

Bob Roarman
03-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Taking into account Peavy's importance to the team and starting rotation, he will continue to petrify me with each and every delivery. Forget about the unprecendented surgery, that delivery....man. Even if had never been hurt, that's asking for problems.

downstairs
03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
In general there are excellent races in basketball and hockey that everyone is paying attention to... especially in Chicago.

As well (maybe this doesn't interest most Sox fans) NASCAR just started up and have had 3 excellent races to begin the season.

Couple all of that with the constant coverage of the NFL drama queens fighting over $9 billion.

I watch very little ESPN. I love PTI, so I'll watch the SportsCenter show they now stuff in the middle... and there is very, very little spring training coverage. This doesn't bother me- spring training is boring to me. Just saying... there's a lot of other stuff going on right now.