PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MLB Local Radio and TV guide

Fenway
03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Here is a nice handy chart especially for those who like to scan AM radio at night for out of town games

http://fangsbites.com/2011-mlb-local-tv-radio-broadcast-partners-and-announcers/

In Chicagoland most likely out-of-town stations you can get...

Baltimore WBAL 1090
Boston WTIC (Hartford) 1080
Yankees WCBS 880 - iffy because of WLS 890
Cleveland WTAM 1100
Minnesota KSTP 1500 - iffy because of WFED Washington
Mets WFAN 660 - iffy because of WSCR 670
Philadelphia WPHT 1210
Cincinnati WLW 700
Milwaukee WTMJ 620
St. Louis KMOX 1120
Colorado KOA 850

The number of teams with any 'free' over the air games continues to shrink
Baltimore 20 games
Yankees 21 games
White Sox 55 WGN 31 WCIU 24
Anaheim 25
Texas 24

Atlanta 45
Mets 25
Philadelphia 44
Cubs 75 (WGN 65 WCIU 10)
Houston - TBA but around 20
Brewers 15
Dodgers TBA
Giants TBA

Over the air games generally are NOT on Extra Innings unless they have no other option as the dedicated RSN's offer a better signal to MLB control in New Jersey.

Viva Medias B's
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Brian Anderson lovers rejoice!!! He's DeWayne Staats' broadcast partner for Tampa Bay games!!! Well, not that BA. The Brian Anderson here is a former pitcher by the same name.

Brian26
03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I didn't know Wayne Hagin landed in New York with the Mets. I also didn't know that Eric Collins has a TV pbp job with the Dodgers, along with Steve Lyons. Collins filled in for a handful of Sox games in 2008.

Dave Willis apparently replaced Dave Wills in Tampa :?:

Fenway
03-06-2011, 10:09 PM
I totally forget that if you want to hear John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman you can get them in Chicago on WHAM 1180 Rochester - It is high, it is far - caught by Jeter

Lip Man 1
03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't. Thank you anyway.

:tongue:

Lip

Brian26
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Here is a nice handy chart especially for those who like to scan AM radio at night for out of town games

http://fangsbites.com/2011-mlb-local-tv-radio-broadcast-partners-and-announcers/

In Chicagoland most likely out-of-town stations you can get....

Used to be able to pick up Rangers games when they were on 820am. Not sure if that is the case anymore.

Fenway
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Used to be able to pick up Rangers games when they were on 820am. Not sure if that is the case anymore.

Rangers are on FM now

John Sterling claims to be 62 but nobody buys that. He was doing Bullets play by play in 1970 and then sports talk at WMCA NY in 1971.

Yankees radio is entertaining just to hear the two of them try to ignore each other.

gogosox675
03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I totally forget that if you want to hear John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman you can get them in Chicago on WHAM 1180 Rochester - It is high, it is far - caught by Jeter
I listened to the Yankees radio broadcast for one inning during the ALCS last year. Huge mistake.

Fenway
03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I listened to the Yankees radio broadcast for one inning during the ALCS last year. Huge mistake.

It is bad and good at the same time. Suzyn is a lifetime Red Sox fan (born in Boston) but George loved her work on Broadway (she is a very good actress-singer)

You don't fully undertand how bad Sterling is until you match video with audio - he sees things nobody else does.

Hitmen77
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM

In Chicagoland most likely out-of-town stations you can get...

Baltimore WBAL 1090
Boston WTIC (Hartford) 1080
Yankees WCBS 880 - iffy because of WLS 890
Cleveland WTAM 1100
Minnesota KSTP 1500 - iffy because of WFED Washington
Mets WFAN 660 - iffy because of WSCR 670
Philadelphia WPHT 1210
Cincinnati WLW 700
Milwaukee WTMJ 620
St. Louis KMOX 1120
Colorado KOA 850

The number of teams with any 'free' over the air games continues to shrink
Baltimore 20 games
Yankees 21 games
White Sox 55 WGN 31 WCIU 24
Anaheim 25
Texas 24

Atlanta 45
Mets 25
Philadelphia 44
Cubs 75 (WGN 65 WCIU 10)
Houston - TBA but around 20
Brewers 15
Dodgers TBA
Giants TBA

Over the air games generally are NOT on Extra Innings unless they have no other option as the dedicated RSN's offer a better signal to MLB control in New Jersey.

Only the Cubs have more free TV broadcasts than the Sox. That's consistent with Chicago's history of broadcasting more games that other MLB cities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs number of games on WGN drop even more in coming years now that the Trib no longer owns them and I believe the Cubs recently commented that they make more money on CSN broadcasts. On the other hand, I wonder if the Cubs are reluctant to pull too many more games away from WGN since that's still the lifeline to their national following.

What are the stats on the number of households now that have at least basic cable (and, thus, access to regional sports networks such as CSN Chicago)?

Fenway
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Only the Cubs have more free TV broadcasts than the Sox. That's consistent with Chicago's history of broadcasting more games that other MLB cities.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs number of games on WGN drop even more in coming years now that the Trib no longer owns them and I believe the Cubs recently commented that they make more money on CSN broadcasts. On the other hand, I wonder if the Cubs are reluctant to pull too many more games away from WGN since that's still the lifeline to their national following.

What are the stats on the number of households now that have at least basic cable (and, thus, access to regional sports networks such as CSN Chicago)?

According to Nielsen Media Research, 2,929,700 households in the Chicago area -- 84.8 percent of the market, but the number is dropping as more and more under 30 folks are cutting the cord to watch online.

Bump34
03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I didn't know Wayne Hagin landed in New York with the Mets. I also didn't know that Eric Collins has a TV pbp job with the Dodgers, along with Steve Lyons. Collins filled in for a handful of Sox games in 2008.

Whatchu talkin' about????

Fenway
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I would be curious on what WGN pays each team.

When WGN moves a game to WCIU (SoxNet or CubsNet) - they insert all the commercials at Bradley Place and then deliver it to WCIU ( my understanding is WGN buys the time)

Obviously ad rates are much lower on WCIU as they don't have a superstation.

Medford Bobby
03-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Wayne Hagen left his Dream Job of broadcasting in his home town of Denver (Rockies) to take his next Dream Job in St. Louis....the Mets job became his I need any friggin' announcing job!!!!:whiner: