PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms....5 best & worst!

bridgeportcopper
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
In your own opinions, rank the 5 best and the 5 worst. Don't let tradition bind you as is often the case when rankings are put together. I am a traditionalist, thus the Yankees and Dodgers will be in the top 5 ...

Best
1) Mets - This is based purely on them bringing back the old school 1969 blue pinstripes and eliminating the unnecessary black. In my opinion the blue hat and orange NY is the best hat in baseball.

2) Braves - only complaint would be that the old school small cursive "a" did and would look better than their current capital "A".

3) Yankees - Simple and perfect.

4) Dodgers - see Yankees

5) Orioles - Just wish they'd go back to the cartoon bird.

Honorable mention: White Sox (of course), Marlins (wish they'd put more teal back in), Pirates, and even though they make me want to barf....Cubs home.

WORST!
1) Blue Jays - Nothing I like about color scheme or design.

2) Astros - Would be better suited going with the multi-colored throwbacks.

3) Padres - see Astros

4) Nationals - Boring and plain.

5) Rays - although I do like their baby blue alternates, their regular unis are nondescript.

Honorable mention: Diamondbacks, Twins and Cubs roads.

soltrain21
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Best
1. Tigers
2. Dodgers
3. Pirates
4. Royals
5. Cardinals
5(b). Giants

Worst
1. Blue Jays
2. Padres
3. Brewers
4. Diamondbacks
5. Rockies

Dibbs
03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I think you nailed it big time with the worst. Those are right at the bottom.

There are a lot of great ones though.

1. Yankess
2. White Sox (black tops)....kidding, the white home jersey
3. Dodgers
4. Giants
5. Cardinals
6. Braves
7. Tigers
8. Royals

LITTLE NELL
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
5 Best:

White Sox
Yankees
Cardinals
Dodgers
Braves

5 Worst:

Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Mets (Best Logo)
Padres

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/New_York_Mets.svg/100px-New_York_Mets.svg.png (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/File:New_York_Mets.svg)Always loved their logo because it captures the team, the game and the city.

SephClone89
03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Best:

White Sox
Yankees
Cardinals
Twins
Giants

Worst:
Blue Jays
Mets
Diamondbacks
Astros
BoSox roads

Fenway
03-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Best:

White Sox
Yankees
Cardinals
Twins
Giants

Worst:
Blue Jays
Mets
Diamondbacks
Astros
BoSox roads

I wish Boston would go back to this script on the road
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1986_boston.gif

I hate the FRIDAY alternate reds and the blue ones show up once in awhile.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/ALE-Uniform-BOS-All.png

Detroit home is great - and much as I hate to say it - NYY's home uniform is tradition.

russ99
03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Can't wait until McLane sells the team and the Astros go back to blue and orange colors, and ditch the ugly brick red, script lettering and pinstripes, which an overwhelming majority of the fanbase wants.

Not saying they should go back to rainbow stripes, but a modern version of the old H-star logo and block lettering would be a dramatic improvement.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Taking somewhat of a detour here, but do you guys agree that winning sometimes makes jerseys look better than they really do? And losing makes them look worse? The whole psychological aspect.

For example, currently the Cavs have such hideous jerseys. They're the same ones they wore last year when Lebron was there and they were winning, but I never realized how ugly they were until this year. Their stadium sucks too... and so does their city... Ah crap, maybe it's just Cleveland that sucks? :redneck

bridgeportcopper
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Taking somewhat of a detour here, but do you guys agree that winning sometimes makes jerseys look better than they really do? And losing makes them look worse? The whole psychological aspect.

For example, currently the Cavs have such hideous jerseys. They're the same ones they wore last year when Lebron was there and they were winning, but I never realized how ugly they were until this year. Their stadium sucks too... and so does their city... Ah crap, maybe it's just Cleveland that sucks? :redneck

Wrong, I think the Cavs got new old-style retro uniforms this year, and they are uglier than the old ones.

Red Barchetta
03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Overall Best Uniforms (Home/Road/Alternates):

1.) White Sox (Not just a homer call - I really think they are the best)
2.) Yankees
3.) Dodgers
4.) Cardinals
5.) Tigers

Overall Worst Uniforms (Home/Road/Alternates):

1.) Blue Jays
2.) Astros
3.) Diamondbacks
4.) Angels
5.) Padres

Red Barchetta
03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I wish Boston would go back to this script on the road

I hate the FRIDAY alternate reds and the blue ones show up once in awhile.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/ALE-Uniform-BOS-All.png

Detroit home is great - and much as I hate to say it - NYY's home uniform is tradition.

I wish the SOX would have two alternate jerseys like the Red Sox (above). The home black SOX alternate (Sundays only) matched up with white pants and black/gray piping and a new road alternate (Sundays only) that have the "Chicago" script similar to the road grays. That way the pinstripes are only worn together. Matching their current black alternate jersey that has gray/white piping with white/black pinstripes looks like a men's softball team uniform. They are two completely different styles. Just as bad as when the Twins mixed their blue alternate jersey with red, Detroit style, piping with pinstripe pants! :scratch:

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Yankees
Tigers
Red Sox (home only)
Cardinals
Reds

The Worst:
Blue Jays (how about wearing, you know, blue?!)
Mets black alternates and road (the unis they had in 1969 were some of the best, eliminate the black and bring those back!)
Astros
Brewers (another team that had a great uni and ruined it for changes sake)
Padres

MrT27
03-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Best:
Yankees
Cardinals
Pirates
Dodgers
Royals

Worst:
Padres
DBacks
Astros
Indians
Jays

I do like the White Sox but for some reason I've always been bugged that they don't actually wear White Sox, so that keeps them off the best list. I really like the Cubs home whites and Twins away grays but their other unis weren't enough to make my list.
I wish the Brewers went back to their old baseball glove logo jerseys full time. If so they would easily be in my top 5,

johnnyg83
03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Best

Cards (home)
Tigers (home)
White Sox (away)
Dodgers (home)
Braves (home)

Worst

Jays
Marlins (black in Florida?)
Tampa Bay (zzzzzzz)
Mets (ditch the black)
Rockies (away) (pinstripes on the road? Boo!)

gogosox675
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Best

Cards (home)
Tigers (home)
White Sox (away)
Dodgers (home)
Braves (home)

Worst

Jays
Marlins (black in Florida?)
Tampa Bay (zzzzzzz)
Mets (ditch the black)
Rockies (away) (pinstripes on the road? Boo!)

Even without the diamond patch?

BleacherBandit
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Is it just me or are the Sox still wearing the diamond patch on their alternate uniforms during spring training?

doublem23
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Is it just me or are the Sox still wearing the diamond patch on their alternate uniforms during spring training?

Diamond sock is still on the black alts, I believe.

Red Barchetta
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM

They are probably last years jerseys as I'm sure the Clubhouse/uniform guy has to wait until the roster is finalized before distributing the new 2011 uniforms. I also notice that the SOX don't wear the BP jerseys/caps like many of the other teams do. I don't think I've ever seen Ozzie wear the alternate cap.

Hitmen77
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Is there a site that shows the current uniforms for all 30 MLB teams? Most are pretty good. Choosing favorites between them is tough. Of course, my favorite is the Sox! I like the Sox pinstripe look, but I'm also glad that not every last team wears pinstripes. IMO, a lot of people choose Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs unis as the "best" simply because they're popular teams.

My least favorite MLB uniforms are Tampa Bay and Toronto. Both are boring/generic/forgettable. My biggest complaint about MLB uniforms overall is that teams use their alternate jerseys too often.

In your own opinions, rank the 5 best and the 5 worst. Don't let tradition bind you as is often the case when rankings are put together. I am a traditionalist, thus the Yankees and Dodgers will be in the top 5 ...

Best

2) Braves - only complaint would be that the old school small cursive "a" did and would look better than their current capital "A".

Actually, their current cap logo is more "old school" than that cheesy 70s-looking small cursive "a" logo. They used the current "capital A" from when they moved to Atlanta until 1971. They went back to the capital A sometime in the 1980s. That small "a" cap is good for throwback games and merchandise, but I wouldn't want to see it return as their everyday cap.

Here's a link to the teams' current logos and cap logos. Most are pretty good. I think Toronto is by far the worst of the bunch. They need to bring back their old logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ALE-TOR-Insignia-Old02.png) which IMO was great.
http://www.sportslogos.net/annuals_year.php?id=4&year=2011

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQXmUvgXfKQ/SuYL1UtowaI/AAAAAAAACt0/rQngWJ57r2U/s1600-h/MLB_CAP_LOGOS.png

gregoriop
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't like our road uniforms. Or really anyone's now that I think about it...

Does any team have a road uniform that isn't totally boring?

e: I guess there are a couple teams that just have a gray version of their home uniform. I guess I just don't like gray.

Foulke You
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Best:

1. White Sox
2. Tigers
3. Yankees
4. Red Sox (Home)
5. Pirates (Very underrated, especially the home whites)

Worst:

1. Jays
2. Cubs- Blue Alternate (the one with the rat running through the C)
3. Rays
4. Padres
5. Rockies