PDA

View Full Version : Dave Kaplan jumps the gun

JermaineDye05
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
http://www.csnchicago.com/common/medialib/158/402378.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Dick. ****ing dick.

I will gladly pay to have a Cubs Pujols jersey made - only to turn it into a noose to hang Craplan's ass from when Pujols signs somewhere else this offseason.

Craplan. Ass.

pythons007
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I hate this douche!

g0g0
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
:rolleyes: What a waste of a jersey. While it would be awesome to get him to Wrigley, I doubt it will happen. I can't see the Cards letting him go.

soltrain21
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
So why does this guy have a job at a show that is supposed to be non biased?

Soxman24
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM

I have wondered that myself for years. I used to enjoy CTL but that biased ******* ruined it for me.

pythons007
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM

He brings up the Cubs during football season, basketball season and water polo. He doesn't deserve anything but being a bagboy at his local grocery store.

Jim Shorts
03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
IMHO, Dave Kaplan defines the term douchebag

soltrain21
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
And what level headed FAN would do anything like this? Let alone a ****ing reporter in the third largest market in the country. It's unbelievable, really.

MarySwiss
03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I KNEW it was a mistake to click on this thread; first thing you see is Kaplan's ugly mug. :puking:

I would soooo love an 8x10 color photo of this jerk...so I could put it up on my dartboard! :cool:

Michelle, is there some way you can make the puking icon pop-up automatically anytime the word "Kaplan" is typed? :tongue:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Has anyone noticed how punchable Kaplan's face is?

I can't believe this buffoon gets PAID for the crap he spews. He doesn't deserve it, and we don't deserve him. He needs to go cover the Zimbabwean cricket team or something and learn how to do his job right.

SephClone89
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I can't believe this mongoloid gets PAID for the crap he spews. He doesn't deserve it, and we don't deserve him. He needs to go cover the Zimbabwean cricket team or something and learn how to do his job right.

Jesus Christ, man. Did I go back to the 1950s and nobody told me? Have some goddamn tact. I shudder to think what other words you use in the year 2011.

Juice16
03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
The day the deadline for Pujols passed, Kaplan was grinning ear to ear on that episode of CTL. He talked as if it was a slam dunk Pujols would be a Cub.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Jesus Christ, man. Did I go back to the 1950s and nobody told me? Have some goddamn tact. I shudder to think what other words you use in the year 2011.

OK.

How about "jackass"? "Dickweed" maybe? Or just plain "*******"? Do any of those meet your approval, O wise judge of words? :rolleyes:

doublem23
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
OK.

How about "jackass"? "Dickweed" maybe? Or just plain "*******"? Do any of those meet your approval, O wise judge of words? :rolleyes:

Though I'd prefer Seph (or anyone else) use the Report Post feature (we actually do get those notices), mongoloid is pretty much considered an antiquated, offensive term. In the context you were using, you were basically calling him a "retard," which, of course, we don't really like around here.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Though I'd prefer Seph (or anyone else) use the Report Post feature (we actually do get those notices), mongoloid is pretty much considered an antiquated, offensive term. In the context you were using, you were basically calling him a "retard," which, of course, we don't really like around here.

Oh...

In that case, I apologize. I wasn't aware of that. I'll edit it.

Hitmen77
03-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I thought Comcast Sports Net was partly owned by the Sox. Why do they continue to allow just a blatant Cubs tool to have a show on their channel that is supposedly aimed at coverage of all teams?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I thought Comcast Sports Net was partly owned by the Sox. Why do they continue to allow just a blatant Cubs tool to have a show on their channel that is supposedly aimed at coverage of all teams?

Besides the fact that there's probably a sizable Cubbie contingent that is just tickled pink over him, I think the fact that he's such a divisive guy keeps him (and by extension, the show) in the mouths and minds of people.

doublem23
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Besides the fact that there's probably a sizable Cubbie contingent that is just tickled pink over him, I think the fact that he's such a divisive guy keeps him (and by extension, the show) in the mouths and minds of people.

I think so. I think the last 10 times CTL has been mentioned on these boards it's because Kaplan did or said something stupid.

Jim Shorts
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
"retard," which, of course, we don't really like around here.

If this is fact and holds true across the Mod Squad, then Bravo! This rookie poster is proud to be a member.

doublem23
03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
If this is fact and holds true across the Mod Squad, then Bravo! This rookie poster is proud to be a member.

It's in the WSI Code of Conduct that we expect all posters to abide by.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2302435&postcount=2

jdm2662
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Kaplan being a Cubbie Loving tool isn't the main reason why I can't stand him. His sports knowledge blows chunks. It's a waste of air time when he talks about the other sports.

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Chicago Tribune Live used to be a good show, then came Dave Kaplan. Who this guy has pictures of to stay on that show is beyond me.

Zisk77
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Actually mongoloid and cretinism are politically incorrect terms for a person with trisomy 21 - down syndrome. Both terms referred to the fact that mental retardation is a symptom of this particular non-disjunction disorder. Ironically, nondisjunction disorders was yesterdays topic in my bio classes.:o:

The mongoloid reference was probably also due to the epicanthic eyefolds that are common to down syndrome sufferers. Of course Mongolians would take offense to that.

krohnjw
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Indeed, he definitely appears to be a Caucasoid - get it right man!

rdwj
03-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Funny that you're complaining about his choice of words without regard for who you may be offending with your choice.

tstrike2000
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe we can trade Kaplan to another city for a player never to be named later.

PatK
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Kaplan being a Cubbie Loving tool isn't the main reason why I can't stand him. His sports knowledge blows chunks. It's a waste of air time when he talks about the other sports.

He makes Harry Teinowitz look knowledgeable.

roylestillman
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Chicago Tribune Live used to be a good show, then came Dave Kaplan. Who this guy has pictures of to stay on that show is beyond me.
Kaplan was trotting around with that jersey on last night's show. He had Daren Rovell from CNBC on to talk about the NFL CBA, but couldn't contain himself before telling him that he "had in his hand a Cubs Pujols jersey" and what he thought about that. Rovell was a little mystified about the line of questioning. Kaplan brought it out again shoving it in front of the camera. Not a single sentence was uttered about the White Sox for the whole show. Nascar got it's segment, though (I think there is money involved there with Chicago Speedway.)

The show is a joke. Overproduced with graphics, stats, polls, lists, interactive nonsense, Frankie from Harry Caray's, shameless celebrity plugs, Chicago Breaking News Headlines (which simply repeats the intro agenda for the show) and now Kaplan's pre taped "skits" to open the show.

C-Dawg
03-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Reminds me of the 2005 postseason when Murph on WSCR kept interrupting an interview with Ed Farmer (about the World Series of all things!) because he was "watching the news wire for word that the Cubs were signing Rafael Furcal". It would be safe to say Farmer was getting irritated.

SephClone89
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Funny that you're complaining about his choice of words without regard for who you may be offending with your choice.

I thought of that, too, but I don't think it's quite the same thing.

PaleHoser
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I think it's time for Mr. Kaplan's employer to implement mandatory drug testing.

Dick Allen
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Kaplan is fairly knowledgable about HS and college basketball. Anything outside of that, he needs to be silenced.

Frontman
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
He brings up the Cubs during football season, basketball season and water polo. He doesn't deserve anything but being a bagboy at his local grocery store.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JtqnQLlLUwk/Sx1QcS-UteI/AAAAAAAAC3w/XLn9uzyL890/s320/mike_murphy.jpg
"He's just a fan, talkin' to fans. Nothing wrong with bringing up Cubs baseball at every chance you get. It worked out well for me. Pardon me....paper or plastic, ma'am? Do you need help out to your car?"

peridot
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
The mongoloid reference was probably also due to the epicanthic eyefolds that are common to down syndrome sufferers. Of course Mongolians would take offense to that.

The origin of the term "Mongoloid" is as an outdated racial classification of all Asian people (and at times also Native Americans and Pacific Islanders). The other two such absurd classifications are "Caucasoid" and "Negroid."

John Langdon Down himself said that having epicanthic eyefolds suggested his patients were de-evolved. The condition was also sometimes called "Mongoloid Idiocy."

It's a vile term when used in either case because it says, "These people are evolutionarily inferior and on that basis you're just like them."

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 09:31 PM
The origin of the term "Mongoloid" is as an outdated racial classification of all Asian people (and at times also Native Americans and Pacific Islanders). The other two such absurd classifications are "Caucasoid" and "Negroid."

John Langdon Down himself said that having epicanthic eyefolds suggested his patients were de-evolved. The condition was also sometimes called "Mongoloid Idiocy."

It's a vile term when used in either case because it says, "These people are evolutionarily inferior and on that basis you're just like them."

I just thought it meant something like "caveman-like". I didn't realize the term was so serious.

Well, I learn something new every day.

house215
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I wrote a rather lengthy e-mail to Comcast Sportsnet Chicago after they signed this buffoon to an extension telling them what I thought about it. I suggest you all do the same.

I remember last year they had Ozzie on before the season started and the first five questions he asked Ozzie about were the Cubs and Wrigley Field. The guy is a grade-A ass.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I just thought it meant something like "caveman-like". I didn't realize the term was so serious.

Well, I learn something new every day.
You might be thinking of the term Troglodyte (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/troglodyte), which sounds similar and has the meaning you were looking for.

When my brother was born with Down syndrome, a doctor referred to him as a "mongoloid." Even back in 1980, my parents were apalled.

Oh, and Kaplan sucks. :smile:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-04-2011, 10:52 PM
You might be thinking of the term Troglodyte (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/troglodyte), which sounds similar and has the meaning you were looking for.

When my brother was born with Down syndrome, a doctor referred to him as a "mongoloid." Even back in 1980, my parents were apalled.

Oh, and Kaplan sucks. :smile:

That might have been the word I was thinking of...but I still legitimately didn't know "mongoloid" was that vile of a word.

Well..heh heh...I opened up quite the can of worms here, didn't I...? *nervous chuckle*

Noneck
03-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I may be in the minority here but I think Kaplan calls a decent college basketball game. He does his homework and knows the game since he was NIU's coach for 4 years and an NBA scout.

When I see him on comcast, he does appear quite smarmy and biased towards the cubs.

thomas35forever
03-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Kaplan does not even try to hide it. Why should anyone take him seriously?

hoosiersoxfan
03-05-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't really care that he's a cubs fan but they really should keep him away from anything that has to do with the white sox on csn.

His bias is just out of control and there is no need for that on what is supposed to be a neutral discussion/broadcast. It would almost be like having Hawk host a show about the cubs at this point. Just leave Kaplan to talk about the cubs as far as baseball goes because he every time he talks about the white sox you can clearly see him cringing his teeth or looking for an opportunity to change the subject back to the cubs.

Red Barchetta
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Maybe we can trade Kaplan to another city for a player never to be named later.

...or a bag of batting practice balls and some pine tar.

BainesHOF
03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Kaplan was trotting around with that jersey on last night's show. He had Daren Rovell from CNBC on to talk about the NFL CBA, but couldn't contain himself before telling him that he "had in his hand a Cubs Pujols jersey" and what he thought about that. Rovell was a little mystified about the line of questioning. Kaplan brought it out again shoving it in front of the camera. Not a single sentence was uttered about the White Sox for the whole show. Nascar got it's segment, though (I think there is money involved there with Chicago Speedway.)

The show is a joke. Overproduced with graphics, stats, polls, lists, interactive nonsense, Frankie from Harry Caray's, shameless celebrity plugs, Chicago Breaking News Headlines (which simply repeats the intro agenda for the show) and now Kaplan's pre taped "skits" to open the show.

Yes, he closed the show by jiggling the jersey in front of the camera and saying, "Take that, Cardinals fans!"

Uh, take what exactly?

Kaplan's show has no business being on the air, but especially on Comcast. Comcast does a great job with Chicago sports...except with this show, which was fine until Kaplan became associated with it. He stains the station much like Mike North used to do to the Score. Kaplan is all about promoting Kaplan. He doesn't have an ounce of journalistic integrity or credibility. Plus his personality is insufferable. How does this guy have a job in a major market? He's actually so bad that he can be entertaining, much like Fox News.

Mod Edit: This crosses the line into politics. I think you know that. I think you know better than that. Be thankful I'm not giving you several weeks off. Your comment would have been fine without the final shot.

LongLiveFisk
03-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Why do I get the feeling he won't be the only ******* wearing one of these?

EMachine10
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, he closed the show by jiggling the jersey in front of the camera and saying, "Take that, Cardinals fans!"

Uh, take what exactly?

Kaplan's show has no business being on the air, but especially on Comcast. Comcast does a great job with Chicago sports...except with this show, which was fine until Kaplan became associated with it. He stains the station much like Mike North used to do to the Score. Kaplan is all about promoting Kaplan. He doesn't have an ounce of journalistic integrity or credibility. Plus his personality is insufferable. How does this guy have a job in a major market? He's actually so bad that he can be entertaining, much like Fox News.
:rolleyes:

MARTINMVP
03-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I never grew up listening to Kaplan because I never listened to WGN Radio. In short dosages, he always seemed ok, but now that I do listen to WGN more often, and I do occasionally watch CTL, I sympathize with the dislike towards him.

Mac, Mully, Holmes, Boers and Bernstein, J Hood, Carmen are all White Sox fans (at least that's what I seem to remember), and yet when you listen to them, they are more likely to be fair to both teams when talking about them.

Back in my days as a casual Cubs fan, I never had any problems listening to B&B, Mac, Hoody, etc. talk baseball.

When you listen or watch Kap long enough, you get a sense of what he is all about. Himself. He is obnoxious and rather egotistical (with the Pujols Cubs jersey, his tweeting incident with Mike Quade, etc.).

SephClone89
03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I never grew up listening to Kaplan because I never listened to WGN Radio. In short dosages, he always seemed ok, but now that I do listen to WGN more often, and I do occasionally watch CTL, I sympathize with the dislike towards him.

Mac, Mully, Holmes, Boers and Bernstein, J Hood, Carmen are all White Sox fans (at least that's what I seem to remember), and yet when you listen to them, they are more likely to be fair to both teams when talking about them.

Back in my days as a casual Cubs fan, I never had any problems listening to B&B, Mac, Hoody, etc. talk baseball.

When you listen or watch Kap long enough, you get a sense of what he is all about. Himself. He is obnoxious and rather egotistical (with the Pujols Cubs jersey, his tweeting incident with Mike Quade, etc.).

I think B&B are either Cubs fans or neutral.

Brian26
03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Bernstein has talked about being a Sox fan.

MARTINMVP
03-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Bernstein has talked about being a Sox fan.

I thought I remember them both being Sox fans.

That's the thing though... it's been so long since I've heard either of them mention it, and they do a good job at talking about both teams, I even doubted my memory.

With Kap, you know what he is because he reminds you of it all the time.

It's very annoying for a show like CTL. If he wants to be that way on WGN since it is the Cubs station, that is fine. At least they added Brian Noonan (a Sox fan) to that Sports Night show.

TDog
03-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Sports reporters in local markets are supposed to be biased toward the home team. As Jerome Holtzman said when asked about why he picked both the Sox and Cubs to win their divisions before the 1969 season, "it's part of the game (of being a local sportswriter). Chicago, though, is odd in that bias toward the National League team has become to be taken as bias against the American League team. You also have more sports talk radio than you did some years ago where reporting is more critical but every bit based in bias.

WSI, by definition, is totally biased, although some people consider objectivity to be the bias they agree with.

Seriously, in most markets, this Dave Kaplan offense wouldn't be a problem Unless I missed an anti-White Sox statement, I don't have a problem with it. I ignore the Bears, Bulls and Black Hawk reporting. And I ignore the Cubs reporting.

hi im skot
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Sports reporters in local markets are supposed to be biased toward the home team. As Jerome Holtzman said when asked about why he picked both the Sox and Cubs to win their divisions before the 1969 season, "it's part of the game (of being a local sportswriter).

And I can see why a quote from 1969 is relevant here.

Brewski
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I think B&B are either Cubs fans or neutral.

Terry is a Sox fan whose radio approach is neutrality. Dan is a Sox fan who doesn't hate the Cubs.

SephClone89
03-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Terry is a Sox fan whose radio approach is neutrality. Dan is a Sox fan who doesn't hate the Cubs.

That's how it should work. I don't even hate the Cubs these days. But that's a story for another thread.

MarySwiss
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM
You know what really would be horrible? If the Cubs actually did sign Pujols. The crowing from Kaplan would be nauseating.

A. Cavatica
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
You know what really would be horrible? If the Cubs actually did sign Pujols. The crowing from Kaplan would be nauseating.

Who cares? They'd bust their budget for a decade and they still wouldn't sniff the World Series.

MarySwiss
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Who cares? They'd bust their budget for a decade and they still wouldn't sniff the World Series.
Thanks! I lost my head for a moment! :D:

TheVulture
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Oh...

In that case, I apologize. I wasn't aware of that. I'll edit it.

Not to mention Mongoloid is an actual term for a "super ethnicity" (i.e. a group consisting of more than one ethnicity) of people...

TDog
03-05-2011, 06:41 PM

If you can't, I gave you too much credit. The quote is relevant to my point. Jerome Holtzman is above reproach as a Chicago sportswriter, more so than still-active sportswriters who have said similar things more recently. The quote illustrates how he viewed that bias was part of reporting sports in Chicago to the degree that it was expected.

I really don't care if you want to throw out an eye-rolling icon for further wasting your time.

Brian26
03-05-2011, 08:02 PM

You're out of line here, Skot. Try not to do this again. This is trolling behavior.

Frontman
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Dan doesn't hate anything except the annoyingly stupid. Sadly, he finds about 2/3rds of sports fans annoyingly stupid.....

SephClone89
03-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Dan doesn't hate anything except the annoyingly stupid. Sadly, he finds about 2/3rds of sports fans annoyingly stupid.....

To be fair, at least half of sports fans are annoyingly stupid.

Bob Roarman
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
...which is probably accurate.

doublem23
03-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Sports reporters in local markets are supposed to be biased toward the home team.

Uh... No they're not.

Viva Medias B's
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Uh... No they're not.

Maybe they shouldn't be, but many of them are nonetheless.

MARTINMVP
03-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Maybe they shouldn't be, but many of them are nonetheless.

I have no clue how other sports media people act in other markets.

I can only speak of the ones in Chicago, and it is obvious that someone like Kap sticks out like a sore thumb.

monkeypants
03-06-2011, 02:39 AM
I remember in 2008 after the Cubs had lost the first two games against the Dodgers in the NL Division Series and Kaplan guaranteed the Cubs would win the third game. I chuckled when I heard that. After the Cubs lost that third game and I listened to Kaplan on the radio I laughed and laughed. I really don't hate or dislike the Cubs but just to hear the shock, disappointment and disbelief in that schmuck's voice was priceless.

Also, anybody that pays so much attention to high school sports without having any sort of personal attachment to a specific high school also creeps me out a bit.

SephClone89
03-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Also, anybody that pays so much attention to high school sports without having any sort of personal attachment to a specific high school also creeps me out a bit.

:gulp:

monkeypants
03-06-2011, 02:46 AM
:gulp:

And a :gulp:to you for being a fellow Spurs supporter.

SephClone89
03-06-2011, 03:15 AM
And a :gulp:to you for being a fellow Spurs supporter.

Lived in England this past fall and got to fulfill my dream and go to six matches, including the 3-1 over Inter, an away day at Birmingham, and the Spurs-Chelsea derby the week before I got back home, with Gomes going from zero to hero within the span of a minute.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I, for one, would LOVE Pujols on the Cubs. He would bring A LOT of positive things to the team and the city of Chicago. A lot of positive things, but a World Series ring will not be one of them. He'll be halfway through his 10-year contract, 36 years old, and making $30+ per. Typical Hendry. Don't get me wrong, the guy is amazing and probably will remain a very good player into his 40's, but the rest of the team would be handicapped (financially).

All that being said, St. Louis letting Pujols walk would be almost as dumb (relatively speaking) as the NFL going into a lockout. In other words, won't happen.

TDog
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Uh... No they're not.

I can't and won't speak for what you believe should be the standard. However, the reality is that in the Chicago market, like many markets, sports reporters have always been expected to have some level of hometown bias. Print beat reporters have to balance writing to fans with professional standards, as Jerome Holtzman pointed out a few times. In his 1970s book, No Cheering in the Presbox, in which Holtzman interviewed elite baseball writers, the conflict between professionalism and hometown bias comes up a few times. Even Ring Lardner (who grew up a White Sox fan and influenced Ernest Hemingway) wrote with hometown bias until cover baseball became news reporting in the wake of the 1919 World Series.

Local olumnists are specifically expected not to be biased. They are writers of opinion. Electronic reporters have always been cheerleaders to some degree. Ken Harrelson is supposed to be biased. Fewer White Sox fans would watch White Sox games if he weren't. WGN had Ernie Banks doing Sunday night sports after home home games late in his playing career, long before the Cubs and WGN's news team had joint ownership. Anyone who is associated with game broadcasts or pre- or postgame programs on radio or television are understood to have hometeam bias.

Journalism school preach objectivity, something that has only been the standard for American newspapers since the late 19th century. Historically, sports has generally gotten a pass on objectivity. And what they tell you about objectivity and sports reporting in journalism school can be contradictory.

There was a Cubs game in May 1971 where the 1969-expansion Padres took a 7-1 lead in the middle innings on a Sunday afternoon in Wrigley Field. The Cubs came back and tied it with two outs in the ninth on a throwing error by Dave Campbell. Campbell doubled and scored in the 10th, but the Cubs won in the bottom of the inning on a Jim Hickman two-run homer. One of the Chicago papers, the Sun-Times, I think (I'm going from memory, and it was a long time ago), began their report of the game Monday morning pretty close to what follows:

The Ringling Brothers. They say they have the greatest show on earth.

They're wrong.

It was a story, not a column, but a game story with hometown bias. The reason it stands out in my mind is that I was reminded of the game when I was presented with the story as an example of great baseball reporting, reporting to aspire to, in journalism school a few years later.

Complain about Dave Kaplan not knowing what he's talking about. But criticizing him for his bias is disingenuous.

SephClone89
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Complain about Dave Kaplan not knowing what he's talking about. But criticizing him for his bias is disingenuous.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Right, but his bias is unbalanced within the context of Chicago sports. He literally finds a way to bring up the Cubs no matter what the subject is.

TDog
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Right, but his bias is unbalanced within the context of Chicago sports. He literally finds a way to bring up the Cubs no matter what the subject is.

That is his job. If you saw Ken Harrelson on television more, you would hear more about the White Sox (and golf, no doubt). Jack Brickhouse, who did some Bulls work for WGN, once asked with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar once asked him if he played first base growing up, such was his desire to work the Cubs into the interview. And, frankly, if I were doing color for a Black Hawks games, I would be talking more about the White Sox than the Black Hawks.

Of course, I'm not doing color for the Black Hawks games and won't come close to getting the chance.

Kaplan is doing his job. I'm not saying what he says has any merit. What he is saying may be sheer lunacy. But he is supposed to be biased. If he were doing it for the White Sox instead of the Cubs, people here would be getting geeked about it.

jdm2662
03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
That is his job. If you saw Ken Harrelson on television more, you would hear more about the White Sox (and golf, no doubt). Jack Brickhouse, who did some Bulls work for WGN, once asked with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar once asked him if he played first base growing up, such was his desire to work the Cubs into the interview. And, frankly, if I were doing color for a Black Hawks games, I would be talking more about the White Sox than the Black Hawks.

Of course, I'm not doing color for the Black Hawks games and won't come close to getting the chance.

Kaplan is doing his job. I'm not saying what he says has any merit. What he is saying may be sheer lunacy. But he is supposed to be biased. If he were doing it for the White Sox instead of the Cubs, people here would be getting geeked about it.

There is a difference. As much as I don't like Hawk, he is announcing Sox games. So, while his bias is over the top, it is understandable since, well, he is actually working Sox games. Kaplan is not working Cub games. He is hosting Chicago Tribune Live, which has seperate segments involving the world of sports. He can talk about his beloved Cubbies when the Cubs are the topic. He doesn't have to apologize for it. Les Grobstein is a well known Cubs fan, and he doesn't apologize for it, either. The difference is that Les knows all sports, and doesn't mix the Cubs in every single sentence he says. I don't want to hear about the Cubs or the Sox during say, a Bulls segment. I realize you don't like other sports, but some of us do. This is why I haven't watched CTL in years. Kaplan is a tool, and has no business hosting the show. He can go back to WGN and be a cheerleader for the Cubs.

MarySwiss
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
There is a difference. As much as I don't like Hawk, he is announcing Sox games. So, while his bias is over the top, it is understandable since, well, he is actually working Sox games. Kaplan is not working Cub games. He is hosting Chicago Tribune Live, which has seperate segments involving the world of sports. He can talk about his beloved Cubbies when the Cubs are the topic. He doesn't have to apologize for it. Les Grobstein is a well known Cubs fan, and he doesn't apologize for it, either. The difference is that Les knows all sports, and doesn't mix the Cubs in every single sentence he says. I don't want to hear about the Cubs or the Sox during say, a Bulls segment. I realize you don't like other sports, but some of us do. This is why I haven't watched CTL in years. Kaplan is a tool, and has no business hosting the show. He can go back to WGN and be a cheerleader for the Cubs.

Exactly! He had something in that stupid column of his last week about Hawk and Stoney, and he pointed out that they would be announcing the upcoming Sox/CUBS game. Like that's the only time they'd announce a game? But hey! If he hadn't dragged that in, there wouldn't have been any mention of the Cubs, and we can't have that.

As for why I read the column, I usually am curious about whether he can go without mentioning anything Cub-related. To be honest, he does occasionally, but it's rare.

PatK
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Have you ever listened to 2/3 of their calls?

Lip Man 1
03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
There does seem to be some unusual things going on (and I'm normally not a "conspiracy-type" person.)

This afternoon for example Kaplan had a segment on Blimp Silva getting hammered by the Angels but not a word, nothing on the two White Sox games during the show.

And I think this is catching the attention of other Sox fans.

Last week when Kaplan was in Arizona, Mark Shenowski was hosting and during the show said (paraphrasing) "to my favorite e-mailer I promise that we won't ignore the Sox on the show..."

Lip

DrCrawdad
03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
There is a difference. As much as I don't like Hawk, he is announcing Sox games. So, while his bias is over the top, it is understandable since, well, he is actually working Sox games. Kaplan is not working Cub games. He is hosting Chicago Tribune Live, which has separate segments involving the world of sports. He can talk about his beloved Cubbies when the Cubs are the topic. He doesn't have to apologize for it. Les Grobstein is a well known Cubs fan, and he doesn't apologize for it, either. The difference is that Les knows all sports, and doesn't mix the Cubs in every single sentence he says. I don't want to hear about the Cubs or the Sox during say, a Bulls segment. I realize you don't like other sports, but some of us do. This is why I haven't watched CTL in years. Kaplan is a tool, and has no business hosting the show. He can go back to WGN and be a cheerleader for the Cubs.

Thank you!

It goes beyond bias too with Kaplan. As much as I've heard from Cubs fans that Hawk loves to bash the Cubs (and they've NEVER brought up any examples) Kaplan goes beyond cheer-leading into bashing the Sox or at least Sox fans.

The example that stands out is about two years ago, I was driving with my family to Indianapolis. We had on WGN Radio and then WGN SportsCentral. In the show that evening Kaplan related an (alleged) experience he had with what he said was "a toothless, drunken, redneck Sox fan on The El" and said that it was typical of Sox fans. Then Kaplan took caller after caller with their ugly stereotypes of Sox fans. My wife, a nominal Chicago baseball fan, had enough and demanded that I turn it off.

As far as I know, Kaplan was never disciplined for his ugly smears and never apologized. In fact Kaplan later landed for a short time on Sox pre & post games.

Imagine the reaction if Hawk said something like that about Cubs fans? Imagine too if they then plopped Hawk on the Cubs pre/post games?

There does seem to be some unusual things going on (and I'm normally not a "conspiracy-type" person.)

This afternoon for example Kaplan had a segment on Blimp Silva getting hammered by the Angels but not a word, nothing on the two White Sox games during the show.

Last week when Kaplan was in Arizona, Mark Shenowski was hosting and during the show said (paraphrasing) "to my favorite e-mailer I promise that we won't ignore the Sox on the show..."

Lip

I would have thought that that policy (spoken and/or unspoken) would have ceased when the Trib sold the Cubs, but it doesn't appear to have.

ZombieRob
03-08-2011, 05:50 AM
The guy seems like he's juiced in, when it comes to broadcasters. All it takes is to know the right people.

Hitmen77
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Lip

I could see having to put up with this crap if his show was supposed to be about all Chicago sports. I can even see putting up with this even if it was supposed to be an all-sports show but was on CLTV or WGN Radio. But this is on CSN - the White Sox are part owners of the station for crying out loud!

Yeah, I know the Cubs are partners too, but I'm surprised the White Sox, as part owners aren't pissed that they still have to put up with the old "let's turn everything into a discussion about the Cubs" right on their co-owned network where they're supposedly equal partners.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I guess if enough fans contact Comcast Sports Chicago it might raise the attention level to it but I assume it would have to be a lot of fans, say in the hundreds.

Lip

Frontman
03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Have you ever listened to 2/3 of their calls?

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have a reason to hate those callers. I'm just saying 2 out of the 3 that get through to B&B are the clinically stupid......

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have a reason to hate those callers. I'm just saying 2 out of the 3 that get through to B&B are the clinically stupid......

Then they need better call screeners.

I like B&B, don't get me wrong, they're funny guys. But sometimes I think they let the dumb callers get on because they know that people like to hear B&B rip on callers and it's a fail-safe method of them showing they know their stuff when it comes to sports. It seems like whenever someone calls in with a good question or a valid counterpoint to their stance that the hosts are struggling to answer, they get hung up on.

B&B is kind of like the Jim Rome Show, where it's very rough for new listeners to get into because the show is about 75% inside jokes and the hosts aren't the most friendly people on the planet. Granted, some of the callers ARE clinically stupid, but isn't it the call screener's responsibility to make sure those guys are flushed out?

doublem23
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Granted, some of the callers ARE clinically stupid, but isn't it the call screener's responsibility to make sure those guys are flushed out?

Those are the people that draw the ratings.

Why do you think Jersey Shore is a hit on MTV while Nova couldn't survive anywhere by public television?

SOXPHILE
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Then they need better call screeners.

I like B&B, don't get me wrong, they're funny guys. But sometimes I think they let the dumb callers get on because they know that people like to hear B&B rip on callers and it's a fail-safe method of them showing they know their stuff when it comes to sports. It seems like whenever someone calls in with a good question or a valid counterpoint to their stance that the hosts are struggling to answer, they get hung up on.

B&B is kind of like the Jim Rome Show, where it's very rough for new listeners to get into because the show is about 75% inside jokes and the hosts aren't the most friendly people on the planet. Granted, some of the callers ARE clinically stupid, but isn't it the call screener's responsibility to make sure those guys are flushed out?

That's EXACTLY what they do. They screen the callers to put the dummies/meatballs/people who can't articulate a thought or adequately defend a position, despite all the protests to the contrary by them and Abattacola. Bernstein has "radio muscles", and is able to hide behind the microphone, talk over and shout people down. He then self satisfyingly becomes the smartest person in the room, the proverbial tallest midget.

The sad part is I agree with a lot of his positions, but him and Boers come across as such insufferable pricks. There are many times I would love to debate him face to face on a topic, where he couldn't hang up or talk over me. He would, to use a popular term on B & B, get "pantsed".

TDog
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Lip

The problem isn't bias, it's about White Sox fans demanding equal time. Perhaps not even equal time. There are many here who believe that the White Sox should be entitled to more time than the Cubs because they promise to field a better, more competitive team. (And there are other places where they can get it.) They would welcome bias for their team if it was being covered. Your problem isn't that Kaplan is biased. It is that Kaplan is biased for the Cubs and not the White Sox.

This is the same problem faced by every community newspaper sports editor faced with covering multiple high schools. The complaints that teams aren't getting the treatment they deserve are constant. There is generally only one newspaper in town, making it a problem.

In this case, complaining won't do any good. If the program cared about attracting great numbers of White Sox fans, it would be covering more White Sox baseball than the occasional tease. In their analysis, more than that might offend Cubs fans. The people running the program obviously don't care, and White Sox fans shouldn't watch.

If it were your only source for news about the White Sox, that would be a problem.

doublem23
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
The problem isn't bias, it's about White Sox fans demanding equal time. Perhaps not even equal time. There are many here who believe that the White Sox should be entitled to more time than the Cubs because they promise to field a better, more competitive team. (And there are other places where they can get it.) They would welcome bias for their team if it was being covered. Your problem isn't that Kaplan is biased. It is that Kaplan is biased for the Cubs and not the White Sox.

This is the same problem faced by every community newspaper sports editor faced with covering multiple high schools. The complaints that teams aren't getting the treatment they deserve are constant. There is generally only one newspaper in town, making it a problem.

In this case, complaining won't do any good. If the program cared about attracting great numbers of White Sox fans, it would be covering more White Sox baseball than the occasional tease. In their analysis, more than that might offend Cubs fans. The people running the program obviously don't care, and White Sox fans shouldn't watch.

If it were your only source for news about the White Sox, that would be a problem.

Have you ever watched an episode of Chicago Tribune Live?

spawn
03-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Those are the people that draw the ratings.

Why do you think Jersey Shore is a hit on MTV while Nova couldn't survive anywhere by public television?

Charlie Sheen is another example. If he would've opened a Twitter account two months ago, no one would've given a rats ass. But then he dominates the airwaves spouting off about tiger blood, warlock assassin, and other nonsensical gibberish, and people can't wait to follow him on Twitter.

bluedemon45
03-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I'll never forget when the White Sox were going to play a game right after CTL once. The game had about a 15 minute rain delay so they let the CTL crew talk about more topics on the air.

The topic that "Kappy" brought up was who is Chicagos team. I want to say Teddy, Haugh, and Fred Mitchell all said that it was the Bears. There was one person left and he was debating about how it was the Cubs that was Chicago's team.

Thats all that needs to be said...the guy is clown when it comes to him talking about the Cubs.

Frontman
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll never forget when the White Sox were going to play a game right after CTL once. The game had about a 15 minute rain delay so they let the CTL crew talk about more topics on the air.

The topic that "Kappy" brought up was who is Chicagos team. I want to say Teddy, Haugh, and Fred Mitchell all said that it was the Bears. There was one person left and he was debating about how it was the Cubs that was Chicago's team.

Thats all that needs to be said...the guy is clown when it comes to him talking about the Cubs.

Exactly. Kaplan is of a mind set, much like Joe Cowley, that the only way he'll get attention is to be so opinionated that you can't help but notice how stupid he sounds.

Chicago is, and odds are, always will be, a Bears town. In the 90's, it was a Bulls/Jordan town.

Even as a die-hard Sox fan, I'm never going to say the Sox are the dominant team. There is just too much biased towards the love-able losers to say otherwise.