PDA

View Full Version : Giants may buy out Barry Zito

Fenway
03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/02/san-francisco-chronicle-columnist-says-giants-might-release-barry-zito-before-opening-day/related/

There have been some BAD contracts in MLB history - but this is in the top tier

He wasn't even on the playoff roster last year

SephClone89
03-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, this wouldn't make much sense at all.

TDog
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
As bad as the Zito contract is, there are Sox fans who were upset at time of signing that it wasn't the White Sox who signed him. I'm sure some accused Reinsdorf of being too cheap. He did have great stats before signing with the Giants, though.

I still see Zito as a better fifth starter than some other minor leaguer or journeyman who might replace him.

asindc
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't mind KW giving him a long look as a possible 5th or 6th starter. The $200 million+ NYY will probably beat him to it, though.

doublem23
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
As bad as the Zito contract is, there are Sox fans who were upset at time of signing that it wasn't the White Sox who signed him. I'm sure some accused Reinsdorf of being too cheap. He did have great stats before signing with the Giants, though.

I still see Zito as a better fifth starter than some other minor leaguer or journeyman who might replace him.

Great story, man.

Foulke You
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I agree with the SF Chronicle writer. There is no debating that the Zito contract is horrible but what would they gain by releasing him now unless he has become some sort of clubhouse problem? You can certainly do far worse than Zito as your #5 starter. Jeff Suppan? Really?!

ewokpelts
03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
why not just trade him and eat most of that contract?

Irishsox1
03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
The current Giants GM is the one who signed Zito to that horrible deal. Since the Giants just won the World Series now is the time to trade him or dump him. At any other time, people would realize how bad that contract was and go after the GM. Zito has 4 years left on his current deal....$18.5 for this year, $19M, $20M and $18M. Ugh!!! That's highway robbery.

Fenway
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
The current Giants GM is the one who signed Zito to that horrible deal. Since the Giants just won the World Series now is the time to trade him or dump him. At any other time, people would realize how bad that contract was and go after the GM. Zito has 4 years left on his current deal....$18.5 for this year, $19M, $20M and $18M. Ugh!!! That's highway robbery.

Simple solution - The Giants insist the A's take over the contract in return for the rights to San Jose.

ewokpelts
03-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Simple solution - The Giants insist the A's take over the contract in return for the rights to San Jose.that makes too much sense

cards press box
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Simple solution - The Giants insist the A's take over the contract in return for the rights to San Jose.

That is a great idea! It would be a win for the Giants, the A's and baseball fans everywhere. And who knows, Zito might be more effective pitching in the Oakland ballpark (can't remember what it is called now) again. Excellent proposal, Fenway!