PDA

View Full Version : Herm Schneider Twitter Account

Over By There
02-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Just curious, was anyone else following the @HermSchneider account on Twitter? The account was started about a week ago, and was an interesting read over the last week. It was a mix of discussion of pranks by Roger Bossard, going to dinner with AJ at Golden Corral, workout tips, etc. Earlier in the week there was a tweet about how someone told him he didn't have to follow everyone who followed him - something that made it seem authentic. Also, earlier in the week, there was a tweet saying that AJ told him he thought it was a bad idea to engage fans so directly. Again, something I thought authentic. Along the way there were also comments about how certain guys were looking, how nice of a young man Lastings Milledge is, etc.

However, last night "Herm" tweeted something to the effect of, "sorry to disappoint anyone, but this is a faux account." This morning, the account is gone altogether.

Now I'm curious if the account was an impostor shut down by the Sox (seems unlikely given all the other jokey twitter accounts out there, plus the tweets were not overly funny), or did someone instruct Herm to back his way out of it?

Brian26
02-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Just curious, was anyone else following the @HermSchneider account on Twitter?

It was fake. Supposedly he mentioned it had offended someone in Herm's family.

Now, here's the interesting part: he had posted some photos through yfrog that appeared to be legit Spring Training pictures from the field. That's what threw me off.

Over By There
02-27-2011, 10:09 AM
It was fake. Supposedly he mentioned it had offended someone in Herm's family.

Now, here's the interesting part: he had posted some photos through yfrog that appeared to be legit Spring Training pictures from the field. That's what threw me off.

Not to mention the Phoenix-area "check-ins", although maybe that can be faked. I was also wondering if it might have been a player or another member of the organization doing it for some good-natured fun. It really didn't have the insulting/sarcastic tone that most of those parody accounts have.

ohthosechisox
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
The account certainly amused me for most of the week.

I also thought it was strange that the Southpaw account was the original one to give it some publicity. https://twitter.com/#!/Southpaw/status/40537777384718337
That's what made me the most surprised when it was discovered to be fake.

EnglishChiSox
02-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I thought it seemed a bit off when every tweet was about AJ, Golden Corral and Lasting Milledge being a nice young man. I thought it was just oldpeopleusingtwittersyndrome

FreeBuck12
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Funny ... I was just talking to someone who works for the sox through mlb this morning and said "so... herm schneider is following me on twitter" and he said "what? hes not even following ME on twitter" ... I then told him the story about AJ and Golden Corral, we had a good laugh about it...

Then I logged on to see this thread, so I'll have to relay the message that it was a fake before poor Herm gets his butt jumped about who hes "following" haha

bigsqwert
02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I had created it to just have some good-natured fun but a family member of his sent me some angry tweets.

I had a couple of rules. No discussing medical info and no bad mouthing the players or organization.

Oh well. It was fun for the few days I had people going. Even got Steve Dahl to respond to a couple tweets.

EDIT: Definitely was inspired by the persona created by @MayorEmanuel

Foulke You
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I had created it to just have some good-natured fun but a family member of his sent me some angry tweets.

I had a couple of rules. No discussing medical info and no bad mouthing the players or organization.

Oh well. It was fun for the few days I had people going. Even got Steve Dahl to respond to a couple tweets.

How creative and clever of you.

gosox41
03-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Wow. Really? I don't know if I should comment any more and risk getting in trouble.

Bob

Jerko
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Too bad it was a fake; I was hoping AJ would throw that Golden Corral guy on their commercials a beatin.

TheVulture
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow. Really? I don't know if I should comment any more and risk getting in trouble.

Bob

Yeah, I am pretty sure that sort of thing is illegal, along the lines of assuming a false identity in electronic correspondence to a third party.

Hopefully for the posters sake big Herm probably wouldn't bother to pursue it since he closed the account after being contacted, but I think it's fair to say that kind of activity is inadvisable.

bigsqwert
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
How creative and clever of you.

Well you must feel stupid, falling for something so obviously fake. :cool:

NardiWasHere
03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Herm's son Oney Schneider's twitter account is outrageous.

Over By There
03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Well you must feel stupid, falling for something so obviously fake. :cool:

If it was actually funny it might have been "obviously" fake. :scratch: