PDA

View Full Version : Ken Burns "Baseball"

FreeBuck12
02-27-2011, 01:18 AM
After I got the 10th inning on blu-ray after seeing it on PBS earlier this year, I ended up buying the first 9 innings in the box set... has anyone else seen this? As a baseball history addict, I absolutely love it. My boyfriend and I have watched at least an inning every day since we got it 4 days ago..

Curious as to everyone elses' thoughts or opinions :smile:

mods- sorry if there's already a post like this about the full documentary ..I did a search but didn't see anything.

DumpJerry
02-27-2011, 08:33 AM
I got the box set for Christmas and have been watching it lately. I'm in the 8th Inning.

I renamed the series "The history of baseball in New York and Boston." Other than the Negro Leagues, Burns pretty much ignores the history of baseball outside of what happened in, and to, the teams in New York and Boston. Whenever he talks about, I mean acknowledges, the existence of a non-New York/Boston team or player it is because that player or team caused trauma to a New York or Boston team (i.e. beat their sorry asses in the World Series).

Most of the commentators he uses are from New York/New England. For someone who is supposed to be a highly respected historian, Burns seems to have a very narrow view of who lives in the United States.

He does a great job covering what was going on with the Negro leagues and the hard nosed racism MLB practiced for many decades.

Fenway
02-27-2011, 09:25 AM
One thing I have never gotten an answer about.

In July of 1993, Burns filmed interviews for 3 days at the Orrington Hotel in Evanston with - Jerome Holtzman, Studs Turkel, Bill Gleason and Jerry Krause and used NONE of them.

I do know there was bad blood between Burns and WTTW so that may have played into it.

I got the box set for Christmas and have been watching it lately. I'm in the 8th Inning.

I renamed the series "The history of baseball in New York and Boston." Other than the Negro Leagues, Burns pretty much ignores the history of baseball outside of what happened in, and to, the teams in New York and Boston. Whenever he talks about, I mean acknowledges, the existence of a non-New York/Boston team or player it is because that player or team caused trauma to a New York or Boston team (i.e. beat their sorry asses in the World Series).

Most of the commentators he uses are from New York/New England. For someone who is supposed to be a highly respected historian, Burns seems to have a very narrow view of who lives in the United States.

He does a great job covering what was going on with the Negro leagues and the hard nosed racism MLB practiced for many decades.

DumpJerry
02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
One thing I have never gotten an answer about.

In July of 1993, Burns filmed interviews for 3 days at the Orrington Hotel in Evanston with - Jerome Holtzman, Studs Turkel, Bill Gleason and Jerry Krause and used NONE of them.

I do know there was bad blood between Burns and WTTW so that may have played into it.
He uses Terkel.

Fenway
02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
He uses Terkel.

Yup - I remember now.... but Holtzman would have been great....and Gleason :smile:

spawn
02-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I bought it, and I agree completely with Dump. It is fantastically done and is worth the look...if you live on the East Coast. The negro League portions were well done as well.

FreeBuck12
02-27-2011, 03:22 PM
We thought that when we first saw The 10th Inning when there was a hard 20-30 minutes spent on the BoSox WS and the white sox were completely glazed over.

Right now we are on WWII ... I agree theres so much about the Yankees and Boston but I'm willing to put up with it to get some of the stories I've heard about other players such as Walter Johnson, Connie Mac, etc.... We'll see how the rest of it pans out.

I think it would be nice to have a nice well put together documentary for each team in the MLB right now..

I just saw the story about Hilda at Ebbets field... that might be one of my favorites so far... how she was yelling up at Vin Scully when he was in the broadcast booth, haha.

FreeBuck12
02-28-2011, 04:24 AM
now that Im watching more of it, Im coming to the conclusion that... yeah, it has a lot of Yankees/Boston stuff in it... but now that im on inning 8 I'm seeing that it's more about individual players than anything..

point being, if babe ruth had played for the St. Louis Browns, they would have spent more time "covering" the St. Louis Browns.

that doesnt change the fact that I wish I knew more about the teams that didnt have those insane stars, either.

Just, wanted to add.... haha :smile:

DumpJerry
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
now that Im watching more of it, Im coming to the conclusion that... yeah, it has a lot of Yankees/Boston stuff in it... but now that im on inning 8 I'm seeing that it's more about individual players than anything..
I'm convinced that he spent as much time on Musial as he did because Stan the Man beat the Red Sox in the '67 Series-a crime against Humanity punishable with death.

Fenway
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm convinced that he spent as much time on Musial as he did because Stan the Man beat the Red Sox in the '67 Series-a crime against Humanity punishable with death.

Umm that would be 1946 :wink:

Look - nobody can argue that from 1947-1960 New York City was the center of the baseball universe. Even the 59 World Series had a NY connection because the Dodgers were only 2 years removed from Brooklyn.

So he chose 2 clubs to follow - Dodgers and the Red Sox.

Did he spend too much time on the 2003-4 Red Sox-Yankees saga? I can't answer that objectively. What I do know that MLB has never seen drama like the 2004 ALCS compressed into roughly 100 hours.

I remember what it was like in Boston the Sunday morning after Game 3 when the Yankees won 19-8 to take a 3-0 lead in the series. We were in shock and angry.

Red Sox on brink of elimination as Yanks pound them, 19-8 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/red_sox_on_brink_of_elimination_as_yanks_pound_the m_19_8/)

BOB RYAN: Even by their standards, this is a new low (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/even_by_their_standards_this_is_a_new_low/)

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/10/16/1097985489_2140.jpg

96 hours later....
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2004/10/21/1098346105_1166.jpg
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/2284468575_22521b4711.jpg&sa=X&ei=N9NrTfLGLsqBgAeCv52yDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFsM4G4kPiAn6jkTyihhXYuAJeE5A

I am fully aware the White Sox got the shaft the following year but the it was like a great play opening the night after Hamlet opened.

I know as a fan I will never go through anything like that again.....

spawn
02-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Umm that would be 1946 :wink:

Look - nobody can argue that from 1947-1960 New York City was the center of the baseball universe. Even the 59 World Series had a NY connection because the Dodgers were only 2 years removed from Brooklyn.

So he chose 2 clubs to follow - Dodgers and the Red Sox.

Did he spend too much time on the 2003-4 Red Sox-Yankees saga? I can't answer that objectively. What I do know that MLB has never seen drama like the 2004 ALCS compressed into roughly 100 hours.

I remember what it was like in Boston the Sunday morning after Game 3 when the Yankees won 19-8 to take a 3-0 lead in the series. We were in shock and angry.

I am fully aware the White Sox got the shaft the following year but the it was like a great play opening the night after Hamlet opened.

I know as a fan I will never go through anything like that again.....
Then maybe Burns should've called Baseball: The East Coast. If you're going to make a documentary about Baseball, then you should try to cover every team, not just your favorites.

And really? Like a great play after Hamlet opened? That's what you're going with? Good Lord...

Fenway
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Then maybe Burns should've called Baseball: The East Coast. If you're going to make a documentary about Baseball, then you should try to cover every team, not just your favorites.

And really? Like a great play after Hamlet opened? That's what you're going with? Good Lord...

I'll stick with that because of the history involved with Boston and the Yankees.

The NATIONAL lovefest of the 2004 Red Sox was over the top.... the Time Magazine was cover was a little shocking given that when that issue was printed the nation was about to vote in a Presidental election that was very close.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XgKCwvD_jWw/Sw7u9l_D3GI/AAAAAAAAENQ/hoa0DHD_7l4/Volume%2B164,%2BNo.%2B19%2B(November%2B08,%2B2004) .jpg&sa=X&ei=GthrTfewMITMgQfQsdWyDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FQ&usg=AFQjCNFI1HGOoweT3u1vyRdWHqMURnY5hQ
Had the Red Sox NOT won in 2004 we have no idea how the media would have treated the White Sox. In any event SI should be ashamed with the way they treated the 2005 White Sox on the cover.

spawn
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll stick with that because of the history involved with Boston and the Yankees.

The NATIONAL lovefest of the 2004 Red Sox was over the top.... the Time Magazine was cover was a little shocking given that when that issue was printed the nation was about to vote in a Presidental election that was very close.

Had the Red Sox NOT won in 2004 we have no idea how the media would have treated the White Sox. In any event SI should be ashamed with the way they treated the 2005 White Sox on the cover.

Well, when your fans whine about curses as much and as long as Red Sox fans did, it's no wonder the national attention was over the top. It's one reason I'm proud to be a White Sox fan. No crying or whining, and no pity parties for not winning a World Series in over 8 decades.

chisoxjtrain
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, when your fans whine about curses as much and as long as Red Sox fans did, it's no wonder the national attention was over the top. It's one reason I'm proud to be a White Sox fan. No crying or whining, and no pity parties for not winning a World Series in over 8 decades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/story?page=caple/110112_misery_index&sportCat=mlb

Jim Caple puts it best as he says he has the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. We were as miserable as Red Sox and Cubs fans, but we kept our misery to ourselves. Also, when the White Sox won, we didn't annoy everyone with our celebrations.

asindc
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/story?page=caple/110112_misery_index&sportCat=mlb

Jim Caple puts it best as he says he has the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. We were as miserable as Red Sox and Cubs fans, but we kept our misery to ourselves. Also, when the White Sox won, we didn't annoy everyone with our celebrations.

Please read immediately below.:smile:

Fenway
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Please read immediately below.:smile:

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

Believe me older Red Sox fans despise what the fanbase has become. Nobody over 40 ever talked about a curse ( That was Dan Shaughnessy doing as he sold a lot of books )

If there was a curse it would be the Curse of Jackie Robinson or worse Willie Mays ( who a Boston scout HAD signed for $400 )

The 86 World Series was something no fan on the losing side should go through. Then Grady Little in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.... :angry:

Bristol, Ct is the main reason for this....NYY fans scream they are pro Boston, Red Sox fans say they are pro New York and the rest of the country wishes everything east of the Hudson would break away and head for Newfoundland.

Please, just remember how the fans at Fenway reacted to Chicago winning the ALDS in 2005 - GO WHITE SOX, IT IS YOUR TURN.

asindc
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Believe me older Red Sox fans despise what the fanbase has become. Nobody over 40 ever talked about a curse ( That was Dan Shaughnessy doing as he sold a lot of books )

If there was a curse it would be the Curse of Jackie Robinson or worse Willie Mays ( who a Boston scout HAD signed for $400 )

The 86 World Series was something no fan on the losing side should go through. Then Grady Little in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.... :angry:

Bristol, Ct is the main reason for this....NYY fans scream they are pro Boston, Red Sox fans say they are pro New York and the rest of the country wishes everything east of the Hudson would break away and head for Newfoundland.

Please, just remember how the fans at Fenway reacted to Chicago winning the ALDS in 2005 - GO WHITE SOX, IT IS YOUR TURN.

I know this to be true, at least to some extent, because of some of my colleagues and my uncle who lives in Springfield. I think Bill Simmons regularly disparages the "pink-cap crowd." Actually, my disdain is especially reserved for the "Sawx" fans who yell loud and proud yet have never set foot in New England, let alone lived there. I agree that Boston fans in attendance at Game 3 ALDS in 2005 were quite classy, but I also remember quite a few Boston fans on message boards during that series acting as if White Sox fans had some nerve thinking we were actually going to win the series.:mad: Believe me, too many Boston fans got too haughty after 2004, and it's just not NYY or White Sox fans who have noticed. That all said, sonsofsamhorn is one of my favorite baseball sites. Very knowledgeable fans there.

FreeBuck12
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM

Jim Caple also wrote one of my favorite books, "The Devil Wears Pinstripes" .. if anyone hasn't read it, its 100% a MUST read