PDA

View Full Version : Dunn already really fitting in

Big Hurt so good
02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
If this team plays well and is winning they are going to be really fun with off the field things this year too...

http://bit.ly/fpbos8

HaroMaster87
02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
What a goof...i could see him and AJ getting into some colossal hijinks!

pythons007
02-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Looks to be a great addition. I'm really looking forward to this season.

FreeBuck12
02-26-2011, 12:59 AM
What a goof...i could see him and AJ getting into some colossal hijinks!

Same here.. AJ has said it 2 interviews already how "fun" of a guy that Dunn is... I have a feeling it should lead to some interesting stuff!

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Nick Swisher was a "fun" guy. I don't care whether Dunn is fun or not. I care whether he produces.

FreeBuck12
02-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Nick Swisher was a "fun" guy. I don't care whether Dunn is fun or not. I care whether he produces.

Agreed. Swisher was fun until he started throwing fits all the time and annoying fans and players alike ... good call on that.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Agreed. Swisher was fun until he started throwing fits all the time and annoying fans and players alike ... good call on that.

But unlike Swisher, Dunn's goofiness is in addition to his undeniable hitting talents. Swisher was a mediocre talent with us, and didn't have much of a history prior to joining us. We focused on his personality because he didn't give us much on the field to base him on.

Dunn, on the other hand, has 7 straight seasons of 38+ HRs and is moving to the most hitter-friendly park he's ever played in, so I think it's safe to say that barring injury, he will be quite productive.

Also, unlike Swisher's ass-clownery, Dunn seems to be more of a smart-ass than anything. I doubt Dunn will be going around smashing people with shaving cream pies and all the other crap that Swisher did.

DSpivack
02-26-2011, 03:10 AM
I love Spring Training platitudes and propaganda!

FreeBuck12
02-26-2011, 03:11 AM
But unlike Swisher, Dunn's goofiness is in addition to his undeniable hitting talents. Swisher was a mediocre talent with us, and didn't have much of a history prior to joining us. We focused on his personality because he didn't give us much on the field to base him on.

Dunn, on the other hand, has 7 straight seasons of 38+ HRs and is moving to the most hitter-friendly park he's ever played in, so I think it's safe to say that barring injury, he will be quite productive.

Also, unlike Swisher's ass-clownery, Dunn seems to be more of a smart-ass than anything. I doubt Dunn will be going around smashing people with shaving cream pies and all the other crap that Swisher did.

not to (and def not trying to!!!) hijack this into a "swisher" thread... but, what makes him so much more compatable at yankee stadium (II)? ...

I enjoy your insites... wondering if you can give me opinions on this as well... I always wondered why he got along so well in NY and not in Chi when we as fans welcomed him with open arms... :-/

When we got Swish i was a moneyball girl... was like... 19 and had just read it for the first time... so i was pumped... maybe living in Peoria i had different feelings, but I always wondered why hes faired SO well with the yankee fandome, who has been very quick to muder some players quickly for dumb stuff..

the only thing that really sticks out to me is when he was allowed to pitch by joe girardi after their bullpen had become depleted a few years back

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-26-2011, 03:23 AM
not to (and def not trying to!!!) hijack this into a "swisher" thread... but, what makes him so much more compatable at yankee stadium (II)? ...

I enjoy your insites... wondering if you can give me opinions on this as well... I always wondered why he got along so well in NY and not in Chi when we as fans welcomed him with open arms... :-/

When we got Swish i was a moneyball girl... was like... 19 and had just read it for the first time... so i was pumped... maybe living in Peoria i had different feelings, but I always wondered why hes faired SO well with the yankee fandome, who has been very quick to muder some players quickly for dumb stuff..

the only thing that really sticks out to me is when he was allowed to pitch by joe girardi after their bullpen had become depleted a few years back

Probably the fact that he was hitting like crap with us the entire year, and when Ozzie finally had enough and benched him in favor of Wise, Swisher started pouting and sulking, showing us that he's only a goof when he's getting regular playing time or else he turns into a baby.

When he joined the Yanks, he hit well and as a result, Yankee fans grew to like his antics. Winning the World Series that year helped, too.

Back on topic, I don't think there will be any chemistry issues on the Sox. Seems like everyone's on the same page, and there shouldn't be any drama pertaining to contracts or anything this year.

spawn
02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I was just going to type this.

Red Barchetta
02-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I still have nightmares of Nick Swisher taking 2-0 fastballs down the middle of the plate with runners in scoring position during the late innings of tight ballgames. :angry:

Corlose 15
02-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Nick Swisher always struck me as an attention whore. I guess Dunn comes across as more of a good ol' boy smart ass. That's just me though.

Foulke You
02-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Nick Swisher always struck me as an attention whore. I guess Dunn comes across as more of a good ol' boy smart ass. That's just me though.
That's kind've how I see it too. Swisher seemed more immature and "in your face" with his goofy antics. I remember reading some of the comments during Spring Training 2008 from Sox veterans like Dye, Konerko, and AJ. Most of them were "is this guy for real?" as far as Swisher's goofball antics went. Dunn seems a bit more reserved. Most of the stuff I've read about Dunn indicate that he is usually one of the most popular guys in the clubhouse. Ryan Zimmerman was interviewed on MLB Network the day the Sox signed Dunn and he was livid that his management let the guy go with nothing but positives to say about Dunn's tenure in D.C. We'll find out more about Dunn as the season progresses. For now, I'll cut the guy some slack given his lengthy track record as being a middle of the order force.

johnnyg83
02-27-2011, 02:31 AM
For now, I'll cut the guy some slack given his lengthy track record as being a middle of the order force.

Phew!

Foulke You
02-27-2011, 03:50 AM
Phew!
Judging by your reaction, I obviously worded my sentence wrong. I'm not really that worried about Dunn nor do I think that highly of myself. I probably should have said "we should" instead of "I'll". :rolleyes:

Dick Allen
02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I still have nightmares of Nick Swisher taking 2-0 fastballs down the middle of the plate with runners in scoring position during the late innings of tight ballgames. :angry:0-2 fastballs, too.

asindc
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I still have nightmares of Nick Swisher taking 2-0 fastballs down the middle of the plate with runners in scoring position during the late innings of tight ballgames. :angry:

0-2 fastballs, too.

... and a 3-2 rolling breaker with RISP in a playoff game.:angry: