PDA

View Full Version : MLB offering a dream job. Apply today!

DumpJerry
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Do you like Baseball? Do you loooooove Baseball? (http://mlb.mlb.com/dreamjob/index.jsp?tcid=fb-cws-dreamjob)

The downside is that it appears you have to live in New York City.

downstairs
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
How can you watch every single MLB game? There can be up to 15 per day, each 2-3 hours. You literally cannot do it.

cbone
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Just saw this. WSI members all have one thing in common; passion. It is usually about the White Sox , but it sometimes about hot dogs, pizza, Italian Beef, etc... I think there a lot of people om this board that would be great at this!

bnlfanmatt
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
How can you watch every single MLB game? There can be up to 15 per day, each 2-3 hours. You literally cannot do it.

I was wondering that too. Unless they present you with a concise version of each game, just from the time each pitch leaves the pitchers hand to the end of the ball in play, plus maybe mound visits, arguing, etc. I wonder what that would be time wise. An hour? But still, you'd probably be watching it the next day by the time its edited down, and be a day behind. I'm sure there are people here that should and will apply, but I'm interested in how they plan to execute it.

FielderJones
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM

You have live in a location picked by MLB in New York. It's probably got a sweet multi-screen setup like a Las Vegas sports book, only all the screens are DVRed. You watch the games concurrently, and back up if something interesting happens on one of the games. I can see how it could be done.

spongyfungy
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
"But suffice it to say it will be a setting conducive to watching multiple games simultaneously." said Jeff Heckelman of Major League Basebal

There probably will be a wall of games.

The bad part is you probably have to watch Cub day games Friday afternoons and it'll be the only game on.

SephClone89
02-26-2011, 12:04 AM
"But suffice it to say it will be a setting conducive to watching multiple games simultaneously." said Jeff Heckelman of Major League Basebal

There probably will be a wall of games.

The bad part is you probably have to watch Cub day games Friday afternoons and it'll be the only game on.

I do that anyway. :dunno:

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I do that anyway. :dunno:I'm so sorry.

FreeBuck12
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Oh no, why? :scratch: just kidding :)

I'd love to do this, but ... (and not to hijack), I'd love to do something like this with select minor league games... Theres some crazy stuff that goes unnoticed day-to-day in those leagues that include some of the (now) greatest players that play the game today..... Plus all those guys are hard core competing against each other day-in, day-out... but I'd hope to do it with AAA teams... can't say I wanna sit through burlington bees games all summer, not gonna lie :-/

Keeping with topic, I'd kick myself in the face if I had to live in New York and work in anything MLB related..........

SephClone89
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm so sorry.

Oh no, why? :scratch: just kidding :)

I like watching baseball.

DSpivack
02-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Bookmarked to apply at reasonable time, when sober!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I like watching baseball.

If it's the only game on, I'll watch the Cubs too. Baseball is baseball.

Hell, I think I'd watch a Red Sox-Yankees game at this point.

Bookmarked to apply at reasonable time, when sober!

Must be some good stuff, DSpivack. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
02-26-2011, 02:25 AM
I don't know his interest level, but the WSI poster I think of when I think of doing a writing gig like this would be JB98!

DSpivack
02-26-2011, 02:46 AM

Hell, I think I'd watch a Red Sox-Yankees game at this point.

Must be some good stuff, DSpivack. :redneck

Nothing exciting, cran vodka. No bourbon in the apt. :whiner:

doublem23
02-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Yeah, when I was unemployed, I'd just watch Cub games for free. They always seem to be playing my 2nd favorite team.

downstairs
02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
You have live in a location picked by MLB in New York. It's probably got a sweet multi-screen setup like a Las Vegas sports book, only all the screens are DVRed. You watch the games concurrently, and back up if something interesting happens on one of the games. I can see how it could be done.

Wow. I love baseball, but I think I'd have a headache after 3 days on the job. And you'd be working 7 days a week. There are only 2 days during the full year where there's zero baseball going on.

DirtySox
02-26-2011, 12:28 PM

This. The NL Central should be entertaining this year as well. (Aside from Pirates/Astros)

twinsuck
02-26-2011, 06:05 PM
That's not my dream job. I could never watch THAT much baseball. I love baseball but there's a limit, I have other interests.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Now if the job was watching every pitch of every Sox game, and no other game, I would apply in a heartbeat. But I would go insane if I had to watch that much baseball and not have any me time.

bnlfanmatt
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Speaking of "me" time, a downside is that I don't see how the person hired, a self professed lover of baseball, could ever go to a game, except for a Sunday night game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Too much of a good thing.

GoGoCrede
02-28-2011, 01:36 AM
That's not my dream job. I could never watch THAT much baseball. I love baseball but there's a limit, I have other interests.

Agreed. That's why I wouldn't take a job with the Sox. I go to games for entertainment, and if it became a job, it would suck the fun out of it.

FreeBuck12
02-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Agreed. That's why I wouldn't take a job with the Sox. I go to games for entertainment, and if it became a job, it would suck the fun out of it.

See I feel different about it.. I worked at a ballpark and loved it... yeah it was a job, but it was insanely fun... i guess it depends on your job maybe :smile:

LongLiveFisk
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
The Cubs are also offering a "dream job":

http://view.careerbuilder-email.com/?j=feff1773756c06&m=fefb1778746000&ls=fde71575726d0c7576107977&l=fec517777567037b&s=fe5c11737d62037f7510&jb=ff611c7675&ju=fe9e16707767027f77&r=0

doublem23
02-28-2011, 10:11 AM

I think it would depend on the context of the job. Beer vendor or hot dog guy? Yes, that would suck. Work somewhere in the front office? That'd be amazing.

LongLiveFisk
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I think it would depend on the context of the job. Beer vendor or hot dog guy? Yes, that would suck. Work somewhere in the front office? That'd be amazing.

I agree. I would want to do something "behind the scenes". I have checked periodically, but like many other places these days, they don't seem to be hiring. Either that or you have to have great connections with someone on the inside who can tell you about an opening before they feel the need to post it.