PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks Is Fat, Tattoed and his beard looks funny...

TheOldRoman
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Isn't standard procedure here waiting until he hits well before we notice how much leaner he looks?No, that only applied to Bobby Jenks' pitching. He looked slim when he was lights out, but he gained 15 pounds after each blown save.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2011, 11:42 PM
No, that only applied to Bobby Jenks' pitching. He looked slim when he was lights out, but he gained 15 pounds after each blown save.I actually saw him put on 15-20 pounds during blown saves.

doublem23
02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I actually saw him put on 15-20 pounds during blown saves.

Poor Bobby was like 800 pounds after that disastrous trip to Minnesota to open up the 2nd half of last season.

SOXSINCE'70
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Poor Bobby was like 800 pounds after that disastrous trip to Minnesota to open up the 2nd half of last season.

Between the blown saves, Thome's HR off Thornton and Rios' ****ty throw to try and cut down a run that was going
to score anyways, I gained 10 pounds with stress eating.:angry: Wendy's got a workout from me that week.:nuts::puking:

DirtySox
02-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Bobby decided that tattoos are slimming:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-02/59681619.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
02-25-2011, 07:20 AM

:o: Holy hell! Those are new!

TheOldRoman
02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
:o: Holy hell! Those are new!Not necessarily. This is the first time (I remember) seeing Bobby's arms. He always pitches with long sleeves on, even in 100 degree weather.

doublem23
02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Not necessarily. This is the first time (I remember) seeing Bobby's arms. He always pitches with long sleeves on, even in 100 degree weather.

Yeah, although it looks like a lot of that artwork is relatively now, here's the latest photo of Jenks on the Sox I found in a quick Google Search that I can definitely date... This must have been 2008 when Swisher was still around, right?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4ow2Juu7nMo/Sgleb9Ya15I/AAAAAAAAQMw/KGyDlQod-qU/s320/bobby-jenks-pink-goatee.jpg

Some ink, but definitely not all of it.

SI1020
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I actually saw him put on 15-20 pounds during blown saves. I know it's an object of derision around here but the man did seem to yo-yo his weight a bit. I'm only making an observation, I always liked Jenks and wish him the best except when he pitches against the Sox. Some fat pitchers can still function at a high level. CC Sabathia has got to be way over 300 lbs. Mickey Lolich from days gone by was famous for his very visible paunch and his ability to give the Tigers 300 or so quality innings year in and year out.

Edit: Don't let Lolich's height and weight on baseball-reference fool you. He had quite the gut on him and used to joke about it to reporters.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I know it's an object of derision around here but the man did seem to yo-yo his weight a bit. I'm only making an observation, I always liked Jenks and wish him the best except when he pitches against the Sox. Some fat pitchers can still function at a high level. CC Sabathia has got to be way over 300 lbs. Mickey Lolich from days gone by was famous for his very visible paunch and his ability to give the Tigers 300 or so quality innings year in and year out.

Edit: Don't let Lolich's height and weight on baseball-reference fool you. He had quite the gut on him and used to joke about it to reporters.
I remember a Royko column where he compared the way Lolich moved around to "a sore-footed bartender tending the shop in carpet slippers."

But the joking about Bobby is because people on WSI would only bring up his weight after bad outings.

KMcMahon817
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM

What a horrible decision that tattoo on his left arm was. :o:

soltrain21
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Well. He's been making a horrible decision on his chin for a long time, so it's really not that big of a shock.

KMcMahon817
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Well. He's been making a horrible decision on his chin for a long time, so it's really not that big of a shock.

Can't argue with that logic.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Can't argue with that logic.Chins can be shaved in about two minutes. Horrible tattoo decisions are either life-long, or very expensive and painful to remedy.

soltrain21
02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Chins can be shaved in about two minutes. Horrible tattoo decisions are either life-long, or very expensive and painful to remedy.

But the fact he hasn't shaved his chin goes a long way in explaining his rather hideous tattoos.

doublem23
02-25-2011, 02:06 PM
But the fact he hasn't shaved his chin goes a long way in explaining his rather hideous tattoos.

Pretty much, plus I have never met someone who got all tattooed up to also have the same kind of thinking that would say, "this is going to look real stupid in 20 years."