PDA

View Full Version : That old contraction idea may be in play again....

Fenway
02-24-2011, 10:03 PM
A Tampa columnist ponders

Threat to contract Tampa Bay Rays may be gaining credibility

By John Romano, Times Sports Columnist (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/threat-to-contract-tampa-bay-rays-may-be-gaining-credibility/1153533)

Contraction's not the answer for MLB
Ken Rosenthal FOX SPORTS (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/oakland-as-tampa-bay-rays-need-to-relocate-or-face-contraction-022211)

I think it is fair to say that somehow the A's will wind up in San Jose.

The Giants can say San Jose is there but how can you possibly say with a straight face that the A's moving to a location 51.3 miles away from one that is 18.0 miles away is going to hurt the Giants?

Any fans lost in Santa Clara and San Mateo County will be offset by the Giants gaining in Alameda if the A's move.

You can't contract one team so what becomes of Tampa?

Montreal, Charlotte, Portland, Meadowlands, New Haven blah blah

Brian26
02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
New Haven? Never heard that one before.

Hitmen77
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
A Tampa columnist ponders

Threat to contract Tampa Bay Rays may be gaining credibility

By John Romano, Times Sports Columnist (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/threat-to-contract-tampa-bay-rays-may-be-gaining-credibility/1153533)

Contraction's not the answer for MLB
Ken Rosenthal FOX SPORTS (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/oakland-as-tampa-bay-rays-need-to-relocate-or-face-contraction-022211)

I think it is fair to say that somehow the A's will wind up in San Jose.

The Giants can say San Jose is there but how can you possibly say with a straight face that the A's moving to a location 51.3 miles away from one that is 18.0 miles away is going to hurt the Giants?

Any fans lost in Santa Clara and San Mateo County will be offset by the Giants gaining in Alameda if the A's move.

You can't contract one team so what becomes of Tampa?

Montreal, Charlotte, Portland, Meadowlands, New Haven blah blah

I'm not so confident about that. The longer Selig takes to decide on the A's-to-San Jose issue, the less likely it will happen.

Selig's commission has been "studying" this issue for almost 700 days. According to this article, that's longer than the time taken by the Warren Commission and the 9/11 Commission.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2011/02/bud-selig-as-stadium.html

I think Selig is just dragging this out hoping it will go away by San Jose giving up on or losing its opportunity to buy up the remaining parcels of land needed for a privately-financed stadium.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Unless they're willing to revisit 2002 and contract the Twins, I'm not interested.

cards press box
02-25-2011, 01:47 AM

Yeah, I have never heard New Haven as a possible destination, either. Where would the Rays play? The Yale Bowl?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/0911/travel_aerial_2005H-Y_800.jpg

geofitz
02-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately the new stadium in Miami will prevent that sorry excuse for a MLB franchise led by Luria from being contracted.

Fenway
02-25-2011, 07:22 AM

Connecticut has been mentioned as second franchise in New England - somewhere in the Springfield(MA)-Hartford-New Haven corridor.

ewokpelts
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Would Toronto be in play for contraction?

Red Barchetta
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
I would hate to see the A's go away. They have too much history in the league regardless of what city they have played in or will play in.

The Rays and the Blue Jays would be my pick for contraction. Assuming the A's do close a new ballpark deal, which I think they will, by contracting the Rays & Jays and not the A's (that rhymes) :tongue: you will kill two birds with one stone by also eliminating arguably the two worst ballparks in the league.

ewokpelts
02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I think they want to pull the contraction/expansion trick.

Fenway
02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Would Toronto be in play for contraction?

Doubtful - Rogers Communications makes money with them and is about to launch Baseball TV which will finally allow MLB network some access into Canada.

ewokpelts
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Doubtful - Rogers Communications makes money with them and is about to launch Baseball TV which will finally allow MLB network some access into Canada.I ask becuase of the skydome.
Of course, that may be a moot point considering that the Skydome was purchased for $25 Million USD by Rogers Communications.

cws05champ
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately the new stadium in Miami will prevent that sorry excuse for a MLB franchise led by Luria from being contracted.

Agreed, I go to maybe 3-4 Marlins games a year. When the new stadium goes in, maybe 1 a year. I get my baseball fix in spring training. A fellow Boca person here!!

:welcome:

Fenway
02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
I ask becuase of the skydome.
Of course, that may be a moot point considering that the Skydome was purchased for $25 Million USD by Rogers Communications.

Rogers is the AT&T of Canada.....cable, wireless, internet

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

PKalltheway
02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Doubtful - Rogers Communications makes money with them and is about to launch Baseball TV which will finally allow MLB network some access into Canada.
How soon do you think that will happen? I've kept tabs on that story from time to time just out of curiosity, and it looks like they've been stalling on the creation of that channel.

Fenway
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
How soon do you think that will happen? I've kept tabs on that story from time to time just out of curiosity, and it looks like they've been stalling on the creation of that channel.

It looks like it will go up this year....

Part of the hangup was the CRTC wanting 'Canadian' content for a certain percentage of programing - BUT since Hazel Mae is a Canadian any segment with her on it will count as 'Canadian'.

Canada is weird like that.

MiamiSpartan
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Agreed, I go to maybe 3-4 Marlins games a year. When the new stadium goes in, maybe 1 a year. I get my baseball fix in spring training. A fellow Boca person here!!

:welcome:

I currently go to 2-3 Marlin games each year....After the new park opens, 15-20 games per year.....
It is looking pretty sweet at the moment....roof is starting to take shape....

geofitz
03-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't think many baseball fans from Palm Beach County will be anxious to encounter I-95 rush hour for an additional 15 miles to go to a 7 PM game.
Public transportation doesn't seem to be in place or planned either at this time. I might go to a game just to see the new stadium and determine if Luria and his midget stepson charge fans to feed the fish in the aquarium or for the view of the Miami River skyline. Hopefully the Sox will visit next year.

gregoriop
03-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Part of the hangup was the CRTC wanting 'Canadian' content for a certain percentage of programing - BUT since Hazel Mae is a Canadian any segment with her on it will count as 'Canadian'.

Canada is weird like that.

This is hilarious.