PDA

View Full Version : If the White Sox could only use home grown talent...

Fenway
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
The Boston Globe is looking at all 30 teams and how would they look if you could only use players that started in your system....no trades - no free agents

AL CENTRAL
http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/02/homegrown_talent_al_central.html

The AL and NL East and Central can be found here

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/

DumpJerry
02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Our lineup in this fantasy does not excite me. The Twins, however, look pretty darn good.

Bobby Thigpen
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Three years ago the Indians would've been an awesome offense to behold.

aryzner
02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's fair that in the Cubs assessment, they include Kosuke Fukudome as "homegrown talent."

DumpJerry
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think it's fair that in the Cubs assessment, they include Kosuke Fukudome as "homegrown talent."
Why not? They include the new Japanese kid the Twins have as their homegrown talent. The Twins' kid has yet to play one inning of MLB and he's pegged for the starting lineup.:rolleyes:

aryzner
02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Same thing goes for Matsuzaka and Matsui.

That's not "homegrown talent" to me. This is just glancing through the list. It's easiest to single out the Japanese players because their names are unique sounding when reading through it, but I'm sure there could be more there that I'm missing.

Fenway
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM

That's not "homegrown talent" to me. This is just glancing through the list. It's easiest to single out the Japanese players because their names are unique sounding, but I'm sure there could be more there that I'm missing.

Under MLB rules that is how they are considered...it is the first team that signed them...

eriqjaffe
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM

That's not "homegrown talent" to me. This is just glancing through the list. It's easiest to single out the Japanese players because their names are unique sounding when reading through it, but I'm sure there could be more there that I'm missing.Alexei Ramirez, for example.

soltrain21
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Well then take Ramirez away from us at shortstop.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
All I can say is, "Thank God for free agency and the ability to make trades!"

hi im skot
02-24-2011, 04:51 PM

http://xroads.virginia.edu/%7Eclass/am483_97/projects/brady/portrait.gif

"You're welcome."

SephClone89
02-24-2011, 04:56 PM
http://xroads.virginia.edu/%7Eclass/am483_97/projects/brady/portrait.gif

"You're welcome."

:gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
The Twins, however, look pretty darn good.

Against the Sox, when don't they look good??

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
So no trades, no free agent signings, and the Twins still end up with Tsuyoshi Nishioka at 2B? A Japanese free agent signing. Same with the Sox. Ramirez was a free agent. Both had experience, neither were drafted, so technically they were free agents. Kind of flawed IMO.

Fenway
02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
So no trades, no free agent signings, and the Twins still end up with Tsuyoshi Nishioka at 2B? A Japanese free agent signing. Same with the Sox. Ramirez was a free agent. Both had experience, neither were drafted, so technically they were free agents. Kind of flawed IMO.

Not all all....

Once a team owns you, that is it....

aryzner
02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Well then take Ramirez away from us at shortstop.

Agreed, take him off the list.

mjmcend
02-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Agreed, take him off the list.

If you follow your rules about international free agents, then you have to take off every international player in baseball. Per MLB draft rules only U.S., Canada, and U.S. territories are elidgble to be drafted. Every foreign born player (unless they played college ball here) would be excluded from your hypothetical, and that would not be very representative of the actual talent in baseball today.

delben91
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
At least we'd have certain hall of famer Fautino De Los Santos back!!! :D:

Whitesox029
02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
And as a corollary to that, "Thank God for Kenny Williams."