PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of Omar Vizquel

Big Hurt so good
02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
http://tinyurl.com/67jz7vc

This guy is really unbelievable...

SOX ADDICT '73
02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
I know we're all hopeful that Brent Morel is an actual major league player, but what's the likelihood that Omar ends up as the Sox regular 3rd baseman this season?

Dub25
02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I know we're all hopeful that Brent Morel is an actual major league player, but what's the likelihood that Omar ends up as the Sox regular 3rd baseman this season?

I hope not. Need more power production from there.

DonnieDarko
02-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Like Morel will offer much more?

Okay, he'll give you more than Vizquel, but I don't think that we'll see a 30 HR season from him for awhile...if ever.

guillensdisciple
02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
I love Omar, if not a regular contributor to the team, he is a hell of a mentor and it is obvious in how well our defense played with him in there and how guys like Alexei progressed on the field. He's an inspiring player to say the least.

Boondock Saint
02-24-2011, 02:03 AM

Okay, he'll give you more than Vizquel, but I don't think that we'll see a 30 HR season from him for awhile...if ever.

Yeah. I'll be pleased if he hits 10.

Big Hurt so good
02-24-2011, 03:32 AM

with the power in the sox lineup, does morel really need to hit 20 even? I mean if he can hit .250 and drive in some runs in the 9-hole while playing fantastic defense is that so bad?

remember this team won a world series with juan uribe hitting 9th... having a great glove at the hot corner is extremely important which is what morel and vizquel bring....

as long as teahen isn't there that's really all that matters

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-24-2011, 05:06 AM
with the power in the sox lineup, does morel really need to hit 20 even? I mean if he can hit .250 and drive in some runs in the 9-hole while playing fantastic defense is that so bad?

remember this team won a world series with juan uribe hitting 9th... having a great glove at the hot corner is extremely important which is what morel and vizquel bring....

Exactly.

I'm more concerned with Morel holding down the fort defensively than anything else. He does that, and as long as he's not batting .200 with a sub-.300 OBP, I'd be perfectly fine with that, even if his power numbers were on the low side.

Between Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, and even Rios and Ramirez to a certain extent, the Sox have plenty of power. I'd be fine with a good-to-great defensive 3B who gives you maybe 10 HRs.

guillensdisciple
02-24-2011, 12:03 PM

I find this to be a bit of a laughing matter, and this is a bit of a hijack, but now that we have all this power I can't wait to hear the complaints of lack of fundamentals come a 3 game losing streak. I hope there is a balance between power and timely hitting, because the Sox never seem to have that down to a tee, but we will see.

soxfanatlanta
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd love to see him remain productive - so we can see his 3000th hit some time next year.

kufram
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Occasionally a player comes along that brings things to a team that cannot be measured in numbers. Omar is that player to the White Sox. What he brings to the young middle infielders, particularly TCM, was obvious to me last year. Now, does he need to be on the field every day to provide that? Not sure, but I think he has to be on there with some regularity.

We need the next third baseman to appear, though, and Morel could be him. It certainly won't do Morel any harm to have Omar around to watch this year.

PaleHoser
02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Vizquel is also, IMO, the best #2 hitter on our roster.

He played in the final game at Comiskey Park (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199009300.shtml) and knowing a player who played in that game is still active doesn't make it seem so long ago. I'd like to see him play forever.

chisoxfanatic
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
It seems he doesn't want to hang up the cleats any time soon. It's amazing how older athletes like himself and Chris Chelios in the past have been able to function still to a pretty high level. I can't wait to see what he's able to bring to the table this year.

hi im skot
02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
it seems he doesn't want to hang up the cleats any time soon. It's amazing how older athletes like himself and chris chelios in the past have been able to function still to a pretty high level. I can't wait to see what he's able to bring to the table this year.

hockey!!!!!!!!!

soltrain21
02-24-2011, 05:32 PM
It seems he doesn't want to hang up the cleats any time soon. It's amazing how older athletes like himself and Chris Chelios in the past have been able to function still to a pretty high level. I can't wait to see what he's able to bring to the table this year.

Christ on a cracker.

soltrain21
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM

I hope not. Need more power production from there.

Why do we need power production from our third baseman? Dunn will probably hit 40, Konerko around 35, Rios 20-25. Quentin 25-30 (maybe more). Beckham will probably hit 15 or 20. Ramirez will hit 15-20.

All we need from third base is great defense. We get that with either Omar or Morel.

soxlady8
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I just read a great article in my mom's AARP magazine
that was inspiring . It was about older athletes. It was called Super Athlets. One of the people in the magazine was 71 and triathlete.
Another was an 80 year old swimmer.

If Omie got ... then let him be there !!