PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to Morneau?

thomas35forever
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I know he's starting to work out a bit then, but will he really be ready for Opening Day? One of my friends tweeted the other night that his days as a productive player may be over. I'm not so sure about that, but concussions are pretty big things to overcome. What do you think?

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I know he's starting to work out a bit then, but will he really be ready for Opening Day? One of my friends tweeted the other night that his days as a productive player may be over. I'm not so sure about that, but concussions are pretty big things to overcome. What do you think?The news reports up here say that he's still "foggy" later in the day after a strenuous workout, and he still has not been medically cleared to actually start playing.

Foulke You
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
The news reports up here say that he's still "foggy" later in the day after a strenuous workout, and he still has not been medically cleared to actually start playing.
Wow. It's been months since that last concussion and he is STILL having symptoms? He might want to consider stepping away from the game for a while. I know he is a great hitter and still young but what happens if he gets plunked in the head by a Felix Hernandez fastball? What happens if he takes a knee to the head sliding into Gordon Beckham breaking up a double play? He could risk serious brain damage. I'm thinking big Jim Thome is going to get plenty of ABs in Minnesota again this year.

doublem23
02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
The news reports up here say that he's still "foggy" later in the day after a strenuous workout, and he still has not been medically cleared to actually start playing.

I can't recall too many other cases where athletes sustain concussions or other head injuries that have such prolonged symptoms.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow. It's been months since that last concussion and he is STILL having symptoms? He might want to consider stepping away from the game for a while. I know he is a great hitter and still young but what happens if he gets plunked in the head by a Felix Hernandez fastball? What happens if he takes a knee to the head sliding into Gordon Beckham breaking up a double play? He could risk serious brain damage. I'm thinking big Jim Thome is going to get plenty of ABs in Minnesota again this year.

Someone told me that this is EIGHTH concussion (he had several more when he was younger and playing hockey). My understanding of concussions is they become easier and easier to get and harder and harder to completely heal, if I were him I would strongly consider retiring because he is only one errant fastball away from a serious injury.

DumpJerry
02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Someone told me that this is EIGHTH concussion (he had several more when he was younger and playing hockey). My understanding of concussions is they become easier and easier to get and harder and harder to completely heal, if I were him I would strongly consider retiring because he is only one errant fastball away from a serious injury.
Thanks for the additional information. I was starting to wonder why it was taking so long for him to be cleared when you have NFL QBs like Jay Cutler and Aaron Rogers coming back after 1-3 weeks (didn't Rogers experience two concussions last season?).

TheOldRoman
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Wow, it is horrible that he is still suffering from the symptoms of his last concussion nearly 8 months ago. As much of a dick as he is, I wish him all the best in his receovery. It is a good thing the NFL has (unwillingly) lead us into studying how serious concussions are. If this was 10 years ago Morneau would have likely shrugged it off and "toughed it out" a few days after this concussion.

DSpivack
02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
I can't recall too many other cases where athletes sustain concussions or other head injuries that have such prolonged symptoms.

How long has Sidney Crosby been out now, because of one concussion?

DumpJerry
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Wow, it is horrible that he is still suffering from the symptoms of his last concussion nearly 8 months ago. As much of a dick as he is, I wish him all the best in his receovery. It is a good thing the NFL has (unwillingly) lead us into studying how serious concussions are. If this was 10 years ago Morneau would have likely shrugged it off and "toughed it out" a few days after this concussion.
Well, given that he is "foggy," I'm sure he would have trouble locking onto a fastball .3 seconds after leaving the Pitcher's hand. Or getting a wild throw from Short when the play looked routine 2 seconds earlier.

That would have helped the Sox win some games against them.

I'm not saying you're incorrect in your conclusion, but, yes, times have changed. Players are not told to "shake it off" as much anymore.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
How long has Sidney Crosby been out now, because of one concussion?

It could be his first diagnosed concussion, you can conceivably force yourself to continue to playing through your first two concussions. My brother had a number of concussions when he was playing football and he played through his first two because he didn't tell anyone how much he was hurting, his coaches had to pull him aside after another series of downs and ask him a few questions before he sat.

California Sox
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Ryan Church of the Mets never really recovered. As recent events prove, brain injuries are extremely serious. I hope Morneau is careful and recovers fully.

Semi-off topic: I sat next to his neighbors growing up, I think at a Yankee game, and they raved about what a sweet guy he was and how he looked after their kids while he was a teenager. I know he kills us, but my impression is that he's a pretty good guy. Even if he's not, I wouldn't wish what he's going through on anybody.

02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I think that for the best of Morneau's future, he should retire from baseball and refrain from any sort of strenuous activity.

Lip Man 1
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Merill Hoge of the Bears was still having issues the following year after Bruce Smith hammered him. I know that from talking with him. He went to Idaho State and his brother owns a business here in town.

Lip

doublem23
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Merill Hoge of the Bears was still having issues the following year after Bruce Smith hammered him. I know that from talking with him. He went to Idaho State and his brother owns a business here in town.

Lip

That is the only reason I can think why Hoge wears his ties in a knot that big. No way anyone with a normal functioning brain could look in the mirror and think, "yeah, I'm working that."

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf3sviqhtj1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

I don't even know how he accomplishes this. Is he tying the fat end of the tie and tucking the skinny end in his jacket? Is he sewing together multiple ties? HOW DOESE HE DO IT

Marqhead
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
That is the only reason I can think why Hoge wears his ties in a knot that big. No way anyone with a normal functioning brain could look in the mirror and think, "yeah, I'm working that."

I don't even know how he accomplishes this. Is he tying the fat end of the tie and tucking the skinny end in his jacket? Is he sewing together multiple ties? HOW DOESE HE DO IT

It's a power knot you fool!!!!

soxfanatlanta
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
As much as he is loathed round here - I hate to him having so many problems. I hope he is thinking about his well being 15-20 years down the road.

It's a power knot you fool!!!!

Double Windsor knot, silly.

http://www.ties-necktie.com/images/double-windsorknot.gif

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
As much as he is loathed round here - I hate to him having so many problems. I hope he is thinking about his well being 15-20 years down the road.

Double Windsor knot, silly.

http://www.ties-necktie.com/images/double-windsorknot.gif
That's the knot I use, but it never ends up as huge as the Hoge picture.

soxfanatlanta
02-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Ties I have seen at department stores are very wide these days. I agree that Hodge's is over the top, but I'm sure it's all the rage somewhere :smile:

asindc
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Ties I have seen at department stores are very wide these days. I agree that Hodge's is over the top, but I'm sure it's all the rage somewhere :smile:

Looks very Austin Powers-ish.

Back on topic: Whether Morneau comes back to play a full season or not, I don't think he is ever going to be the same.

SI1020
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Lip http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/29/merrill-hoge-concussion-caused-him-to-flatline-in-trainers-ro/

Carolina Kenny
02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Mauer has a creaky knee. Maybe they will move Mauer to 1B.

PatK
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
This huge knot stuff is hilarious

tstrike2000
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Hoge has to be buying enormously wide ties, that's all I can think of.

As for Morneau, for his sake, hopefully his post-concussion symptoms start to be a thing of the past, and that he can avoid another one anytime in the future.

doublem23
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Hoge has to be buying enormously wide ties, that's all I can think of.

That or ESPN is doing some camera trickery and he's only about 1/4 as big as a grown man.

Hitmen77
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Wow. That's really bad news for him that he's still having problems after all this time.

Supposedly this should hurt the Twins chances, but you know them and their pixie dust. It's not like they were sunk last year once they lost Morneau. Still, that's a huge bat (2006 MVP) that the Twins might be missing....but this is serious stuff here. I just hope he recover from this major health issue.

soltrain21
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6154804

He sounds like a pretty big prick. Of course some bull**** "Chicago Tough" fans would think this is awesome if it was the other way around.

LongLiveFisk
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
So he hates the White Sox?

From this blow I may never recover. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6154804

He sounds like a pretty big prick. Of course some bull**** "Chicago Tough" fans would think this is awesome if it was the other way around.So Morneau is unhappy that one of his best friends is leaving to go to their biggest rival. I can understand it without being "bull**** Chicago Tough."

soltrain21
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
So Morneau is unhappy that one of his best friends is leaving to go to their biggest rival. I can understand it without being "bull**** Chicago Tough."

So he shouldn't call one of his best friends to congratulate them on getting a payraise and a few years of stability for him and his family?

SPORTS!