PDA

View Full Version : Marquee games and tiered pricing

kittle42
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
So I just tried to buy Cubs tickets for the Sox series and for a Cards game in August (the crosstown doubleheader day this season). Each is one of the 13 "Marquee" games in the Cubs ticket pricing method. 1 bleacher seat, face = $80!!!

Man.

cws05champ
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
So I just tried to buy Cubs tickets for the Sox series and for a Cards game in August (the crosstown doubleheader day this season). Each is one of the 13 "Marquee" games in the Cubs ticket pricing method. 1 bleacher seat, face = $80!!!

Man.

They are priced that way because people will buy them. If you could sell something for $1000 vs $500 because someone is willing to pay it, wouldn't you? People will complain about the prices, but they'll still buy, and sell at a much higher price later on for the most part.

ewokpelts
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
supply and demand. that same $80 bleacher ticket is over $120 on stubhub right now.

the market will bear the price, unfortunately.

Nelfox02
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Wonder what they will jack up to after they sign Pujols?

WhiffleBall
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I actually like the way the cubs handle this presale. It's very easy to get in and there usally is a great selection, all things considered, for not that much of an upcharge (15% over face when paying with a mastercard). I got 4 front row seats in the upper deck just past first base (section 434) for the Friday yankees game. I am amazed that those are not season ticket seats especially considering that they still have a waiting list. They were $81 total each after all fees. I was also able to get 4 in the 5th row of section 233 for the Friday sox game. Those were $100 each after fees. I'll sell the yanks tix for a profit to offset the high cost of the sox tix.

kittle42
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm not complaining - I bought the tickets - it was just quite a jump, it seemed, from even just a few years ago. I actually have no problem with tiered pricing and have defended the Sox' use of it in threads before.

gregoriop
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
(15% over face when paying with a mastercard).

Can you explain this part? I'm not familiar with how they do things.

WhiffleBall
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Can you explain this part? I'm not familiar with how they do things.

Regular price single game cubs tix go on sale this Friday. Last year they introduced this presale where if you have a mastercard and are willing to pay 15% over face you can buy tickets two days early. Other credit cards work but then you have to pay 20% over face. It's way cheaper than stubhub and craigslist for prime games. It's not such a good deal for regular games.

palehosepub
02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for posting this thread, it reminded me. I wanted the July 2 (Sat)-Sox against the cubs but nothing was available... For Sun I kept getting GA bleachers for $90 each - I was about to give up and i picked up a pair in section 105 on the aisle! Someone must have released them...