PDA

View Full Version : most notable snub jim thome?


raul12
07-03-2002, 05:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/morgan_joe/1401763.html

for crying out loud, what is this guy smoking? thome has average numbers at best, and if it weren't for the last week, his numbers would be downright mediocre.


btw, who will be our lone (probably) representative? has that been decided yet?

Daver
07-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by raul12
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/morgan_joe/1401763.html

for crying out loud, what is this guy smoking? thome has average numbers at best, and if it weren't for the last week, his numbers would be downright mediocre.


btw, who will be our lone (probably) representative? has that been decided yet?

The Sox have two,Paul Konerko and Mark Buerhle.

doublem23
07-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by raul12
[URL]
btw, who will be our lone (probably) representative? has that been decided yet?

They announced earlier in the week that Buehrle and Konerko are All-Stars.

And Maggs is by far the most noteworthy snub. If only he could speak English....

Vsahajpal
07-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by raul12
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/morgan_joe/1401763.html

for crying out loud, what is this guy smoking? thome has average numbers at best, and if it weren't for the last week, his numbers would be downright mediocre.



Average numbers at best? What are you smoking?

His 1.030 OPS is 2nd in the AL behind Mike Sweeney, he's been terrific all season, not just this past week. In fact, a month ago he was hitting .296 with a 1.058 OPS.

raul12
07-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal



Average numbers at best? What are you smoking?

His 1.030 OPS is 2nd in the AL behind Mike Sweeney, he's been terrific all season, not just this past week. In fact, a month ago he was hitting .296 with a 1.058 OPS.

you forgot aaron guiel who has a 1.156 OPS sorry, i could have sworn he started out really mediocre, and just recently started heating up--i must have had him confused with someone else. whoops. will you find it in your heart to forgive me? (where's a good barney tag when you need one....)

Foulke You
07-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by raul12
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/morgan_joe/1401763.html

for crying out loud, what is this guy smoking? thome has average numbers at best, and if it weren't for the last week, his numbers would be downright mediocre.


btw, who will be our lone (probably) representative? has that been decided yet?

Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight actually said that it was a joke that Maggs isn't on the all star team. Gammons went on to say how his numbers were superior to every other 30th man candidate and even said he should be the RF starter for the AL. I was absolutely shocked when he said this considering a Boston Red Sox player, Johnny Damon, was the 30th man.

:boston "I forgive Magglio even though he is not a member of the Boston Red Sox."

Soxheads
07-03-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You


Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight actually said that it was a joke that Maggs isn't on the all star team. Gammons went on to say how his numbers were superior to every other 30th man candidate and even said he should be the RF starter for the AL. I was absolutely shocked when he said this considering a Boston Red Sox player, Johnny Damon, was the 30th man.

:boston "I forgive Magglio even though he is not a member of the Boston Red Sox."

:bundy

"The end of the world is near!"

sox_fan_forever
07-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You


Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight actually said that it was a joke that Maggs isn't on the all star team. Gammons went on to say how his numbers were superior to every other 30th man candidate and even said he should be the RF starter for the AL. I was absolutely shocked when he said this considering a Boston Red Sox player, Johnny Damon, was the 30th man.


I know. I heard all that last night too and, like you, I was shocked. I think though, that ESPN has added Maggs to their list of favorite players though because they seem to mention him a lot, especially in some of the articles on the website. They also call him Magglio rather than Ordonez.

Jjav829
07-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You


Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight actually said that it was a joke that Maggs isn't on the all star team. Gammons went on to say how his numbers were superior to every other 30th man candidate and even said he should be the RF starter for the AL. I was absolutely shocked when he said this considering a Boston Red Sox player, Johnny Damon, was the 30th man.

:boston "I forgive Magglio even though he is not a member of the Boston Red Sox."

Not only did he say that Maggs should have been chosen over Damon, he said that Maggs should be starting in place of...Manny Ramirez!

:boston
"What was I smoking when I said that?"

MattSharp
07-04-2002, 01:58 AM
I think Damon still got snubbed as did Eric Chavez. His numbers were better than Venturas. Chavez had better numbers than Ventura is almost every category. Shea Hilldenbrand is the deserving starter but its a shame to pick Robin.

As for Mags. He got the shaft. He is leading AL OFs with RBI, tied for 2nd in HR, 2nd in doubles, and is like high in average. There is no doubt he got screwed. F You Joe Torre.