PDA

View Full Version : Mauer gets an injection in the knee

02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Now it may be standard procedure, but this can't be a good thing. Especially at the start of Spring Training.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/116704389.html

Foulke You
02-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Mauer is a great athlete but having knee problems at his age doesn't bode well for a long catching career. I don't think he is going to finish that contract as a catcher. They'll probably have to move him to 1B or DH at some point.

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Mauer is a great athlete but having knee problems at his age doesn't bode well for a long catching career. I don't think he is going to finish that contract as a catcher. They'll probably have to move him to 1B or DH at some point.Fisk had a major knee injury in 1974 at age 26. He caught quite a few games afterward.

Mauer is currently 27. Orthopedics have come a very, very long way since 1974.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Fisk had a major knee injury in 1974 at age 26. He caught quite a few games afterward.

Mauer is currently 27. Orthopedics have come a very, very long way since 1974.

Fisk's knee problem was in a violent collision at home plate I think. Mauer also has the same back problem that side lined Joe Crede.

ShooterMcGavin
02-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Should have drafted Mark Prior.

DumpJerry
02-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Mauer is a great athlete but having knee problems at his age doesn't bode well for a long catching career. I don't think he is going to finish that contract as a catcher. They'll probably have to move him to 1B or DH at some point.
He missed most of 2004 because of knee surgery.

doublem23
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Fisk's knee problem was in a violent collision at home plate I think. Mauer also has the same back problem that side lined Joe Crede.

Mauer's injury was the result of playing the game, too, it's not like he had a chronic problem, but you're correct, he's had some back problems in the past, too, which I think is the bigger concern for Minnesota.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Mauer's injury was the result of playing the game, too, it's not like he had a chronic problem, but you're correct, he's had some back problems in the past, too, which I think is the bigger concern for Minnesota.

When did Mauer injure his knee in a game? I don't remember that, was it this past year?

doublem23
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
When did Mauer injure his knee in a game? I don't remember that, was it this past year?

It happened way back when in 2004, his 1st MLB season, IIRC, he slid into the wall behind the plate trying to catch a foul pop-up and caught his knee funny and tore something, requiring surgery. He tried to come back but had some swelling and that ended his rookie season.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
It happened way back when in 2004, his 1st MLB season, IIRC, he slid into the wall behind the plate trying to catch a foul pop-up and caught his knee funny and tore something, requiring surgery. He tried to come back but had some swelling and that ended his rookie season.

Hmm, I don't remember that at all. But like you said, I think the back issue is the bigger concern for Mauer.

eriqjaffe
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
When did Mauer injure his knee in a game? I don't remember that, was it this past year?Yeah, I think his knees shook so much facing Chris Sale that he tore something.

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Hmm, I don't remember that at all. Yep, here's the story from 2004: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1777585

He had a meniscus removed.

DumpJerry
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Most people would not remember Mauer's 2004 knee injury because he was a prospect at the time. He ended up playing all of 35 games that year.

doublem23
02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Most people would not remember Mauer's 2004 knee injury because he was a prospect at the time. He ended up playing all of 35 games that year.

Well, he only played 35 games because of the injury, he was the Twins' Opening Day catcher, hurt himself on only the 2nd or 3rd game of the season, tried to come back in early June, and the knee problems persisted to the point that he had to sit out the year.

True, he was a relatively young player but he wasn't exactly an unknown, he was widely regarded as one of the finest prospects in the game going into the 2004 season and it looked like that knee injury could have derailed what has proven to be a spectacular career.

Irishsox1
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Somehow the Twins will become stronger because of this. I have no idea how, but it always seems to happen that way.

DumpJerry
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Well, he only played 35 games because of the injury, he was the Twins' Opening Day catcher, hurt himself on only the 2nd or 3rd game of the season, tried to come back in early June, and the knee problems persisted to the point that he had to sit out the year.

True, he was a relatively young player but he wasn't exactly an unknown, he was widely regarded as one of the finest prospects in the game going into the 2004 season and it looked like that knee injury could have derailed what has proven to be a spectacular career.
I knew at the time he was widely regarded as a prospect. The point of my post was that many people here forgot about that injury because, at the time, he was a prospect, not an established player. People tend to think all prospects are golden and should never be dealt for an established player (I'm not saying you have done that).

If Mauer had a season-ending injury today, I think six years from now, most of use would remember it without much prompting.

KMcMahon817
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Very likely. I know he played alot of 3B in HS and he still takes reps there in BP most days. I wouldn't be surprised to see that, either.

SOXSINCE'70
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Somehow the Twins will become stronger because of this. I have no idea how, but it always seems to happen that way.

You're not alone.

+1