PDA

View Full Version : TCQ has lost weight.

JermaineDye05
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
A lot of it. I can't find any pictures of him at ST, but I did see some video of him on CSN. He looks much leaner.

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0223-white-sox-spring-training20110222,0,4903401.story)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
A lot of it. I can't find any pictures of him at ST, but I did see some video of him on CSN. He looks much leaner.

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0223-white-sox-spring-training20110222,0,4903401.story)

Isn't standard procedure here waiting until he hits well before we notice how much leaner he looks?

JermaineDye05
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Isn't standard procedure here waiting until he hits well before we notice how much leaner he looks?

I wasn't trying to imply that he's automatically going to be a better hitter. Quite frankly it concerns me.

chisox12
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm just hoping he gets his **** together mentally. It's never been a physical issue with Quentin.

SephClone89
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm just hoping he gets his **** together mentally. It's never been a physical issue with Quentin.

His wrist and foot would like a word with you.

But e and Ozzie both talked about the mental aspect, too.

manders_01
02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Wait...he was smiling?!?!? :o: :D:

Here's hoping he has lightened up on himself and that translates well to the diamond.

ChiSoxGal85
02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Wait...he was smiling?!?!? :o: :D:

No!!! I'll believe it when I see it. Where's the picture? :D:

Maybe a little less pressure in the order will help Carlos relax a little this year. He is one serious dude.

hawkjt
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Smiling is out this year....Ozzies official line ''let Carlos be Carlos'' in other words,scowling and hitting,hopefully.

I know it will keep Cowley up nites worrying about the lack of smiles,but I can live with it.

I hear that Big Jim Thome looks all skinny this year also...something in the water?:smile:

soxlady8
02-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I noticed he looked leaner too .
He also looked happy during the news snipet.
I hope that TCQ has a great year both physically
and mentally !!

Chi Dye
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Granted this is from the back.

http://twitpic.com/42nhdz

Nelfox02
02-22-2011, 11:30 PM
This line up could be scary good with Quentin in 08 form.......ah to dream......but that is what spring is all about..hope

beasly213
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Granted this is from the back.

http://twitpic.com/42nhdz

It just looks like he got a haircut.

soltrain21
02-23-2011, 12:25 AM
He looks the same to me.

voodoochile
02-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Couple thoughts on the article...

First if Carlos lost weight it's extra good news because one way to help mitigate plantar fasciitis flareups is to lose weight.

Second the whole emotional stability thing is something that's obviously harder for some people to get. It's interesting seeing Paulie talk about his struggles with it. One thing that always struck me about him is that when he'd get in a funk you could almost see the wheels grinding. For me the telling sign was that his little glove tightening routine would go from 3 times a game when he wanted to take a small break to 3 times an at bat. I saw a lot less of those moments last year and for me it fits in well with his becoming more content with his own efforts and then having the best year of his career.

Hopefully Carlos can figure that out now as he enters into his prime ball playing years.

guillensdisciple
02-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Still consider him the most talented and potent hitter we have on the bench. Unfortunately, a head case as well. At his best, he can be the MVP caliber player that you need to lead a team. He just needs an escape out of his own funk. As he was the previous year, he is my X factor this year. I expect the Sox to make the post season with him having the season he had last year, but I expect the Sox to go a lot further if he plays the way he should.

Foulke You
02-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Still consider him the most talented and potent hitter we have on the bench. Unfortunately, a head case as well. At his best, he can be the MVP caliber player that you need to lead a team. He just needs an escape out of his own funk. As he was the previous year, he is my X factor this year. I expect the Sox to make the post season with him having the season he had last year, but I expect the Sox to go a lot further if he plays the way he should.
That 2008 season of Quentin's was one of the most dominant offensive season I've seen out of a Sox hitter outside of Frank Thomas. He was our entire offense for the first two months of the season and it seemed like every one of his HRs and hits were clutch. I still think the guy has that kind've season in him if he can get his health and his marbles together. If Quentin figures it out again in 2011 like he did in 2008, I agree that this team could go very far.

JermaineDye05
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM
That 2008 season of Quentin's was one of the most dominant offensive season I've seen out of a Sox hitter outside of Frank Thomas. He was our entire offense for the first two months of the season and it seemed like every one of his HRs and hits were clutch. I still think the guy has that kind've season in him if he can get his health and his marbles together. If Quentin figures it out again in 2011 like he did in 2008, I agree that this team could go very far.

There were flashes of him in 2010.

He was insane in June and July.

I now await the "He was insane all season" retort.

Seriously though, I remember he hit 7 HR between two series alone (ATL and KC).

Boondock Saint
02-23-2011, 02:34 AM
It just looks like he got a haircut.

Standing next to Dunn like that, combined with the haircut, he totally looks like Iguchi from behind.

Poor Bobby was like 800 pounds after that disastrous trip to Minnesota to open up the 2nd half of last season.

...or whenever we played Baltimore.

hawkjt
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Have to wonder if Carlos lost weight at the behest of Ozzie and Kenny or if he did it on his own?
How will it affect his power?
Will it help his defense in right field?
Was it done for self-preservation purposes-health-wise?

All questions that come to my mind.
I do think that Carlos can sacrifice some power playing at Soxpark(the ball will still get out),for health and defense reasons,as long as he still has that stroke,and maybe hits for better average. Might run the bases a bit better also..he is not slow,but so big at 220lbs that he can hurt himself sliding.

I like Carlos,so I am praying he has that big year we all know he is capable of producing.

JermaineDye05
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Video of Carlos here (http://www.csnchicago.com/02/22/11/Sox-Drawer-Quentin-gains-perspective/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=415710&feedID=661)

Given his injury history and emotional problems, I'm surprised that no one here has started speculating about PEDs. Though I don't think he used, something like this does make you think a bit.

Dibbs
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice to see he's in the best shape of his life coming into spring training.

TomBradley72
02-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Video of Carlos here (http://www.csnchicago.com/02/22/11/Sox-Drawer-Quentin-gains-perspective/landing_soxdrawer_v3.html?blockID=415710&feedID=661)

Given his injury history and emotional problems, I'm surprised that no one here has started speculating about PEDs. Though I don't think he used, something like this does make you think a bit.

He's a young player who's known for being very hard on himself- connecting that somehow to steroid use is pretty irresponsible.

Last I looked- I don't think plantar fascitis (sp.?) has much of link to steroid use.

hawkjt
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM

Thome lost a bunch of weight in the offseason also...same take as you.
Don't think either guy used,but nowadays, it is hard to avoid considering all the possibilities. That is why the known users should never make HOF and be ostracized by the baseball community..made everyone suspect,even the innocent guys.

sox1970
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM

I always get an uneasy feeling when I see players lose a lot of weight, but if you say anything about PED use without a positive test, you get torched.

Do I think some players are ahead of the testing and using undetectable steroids and HGH? Yes. But my hope is PED use is down and the players are starting to police themselves.

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised that no one here has started speculating about PEDs.You just did.

Though I don't think he used...Then why bring it up?

hi im skot
02-23-2011, 12:19 PM

He's a young player who's known for being very hard on himself- connecting that somehow to steroid use is pretty irresponsible.

Last I looked- I don't think plantar fascitis (sp.?) has much of link to steroid use.

Seriously? I don't see how you can connect the dots and wind up with a steroids accusation.

thomas35forever
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I still think Carlos has potential for another big year, but his window is closing fast. A big part will come down to him staying healthy of course, but even his decline in production last year should be cause for concern. Sixth is the right place in the lineup for him, but only because of his natural power.

khan
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM

You know, I used to believe as you do.

But in looking at Quentin's body of work as a whole, his 2008 season looks like an extreme outlier. An insane anomaly. A "career year."

Despite what my head tells me, my heart reminds me that it is Spring Training, and once again the time for optimism. I'll again [probably foolishly] hold out hope that Quentin will be the lynchpin of a great offense this season. I'll again hold out hope that he can play an adequate RF.

Remember: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. And Carlos Quentin is once again a growth stock, poised for HUGE returns. [I hope.]

Of course, this is a fan in Spring Training mode, and it is subject to change as conditions on the ground change...

Foulke You
02-23-2011, 03:28 PM
But in looking at Quentin's body of work as a whole, his 2008 season looks like an extreme outlier. An insane anomaly. A "career year."
There is certainly nothing that contradicts your statement. Q's 2008 was by far the most productive of his career. However, it is those short "flashes" of his 2008 season that he gave us in early 2009 (before the plantar fasciitis) and that stretch in mid Summer in 2010 where he went on a 15 HR 41 RBI binge that still give me hope that Quentin has the ability to do it again. I don't have any hope that he will get much better in the field. I think he is what he is defensively but I still believe the talent could be there to possibly put together another 2008 type of offensive season.

russ99
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm glad the Sox are taking pressure of Carlos by hitting him lower in the lineup.

I don't think we can really expect another 2008 mostly due to 2008 being his first year facing AL pitchers, but even last years run production would be fantastic if we also got a boost in average, improved health (physical and mental) and some improvement on defense.

everafan
02-23-2011, 03:46 PM

He doesn't look much thinner, but 15 lbs on a 200+ lb isn't drastic. I do approve of the haircut - much, much better. Same thing with Paulie.

JermaineDye05
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
He doesn't look much thinner, but 15 lbs on a 200+ lb isn't drastic. I do approve of the haircut - much, much better. Same thing with Paulie.

One thing Carlos has definitely been blessed with is awesome hair.

sullythered
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
You know, I used to believe as you do.

Despite what my head tells me, my heart reminds me that it is Spring Training, and once again the time for optimism. I'll again [probably foolishly] hold out hope that Quentin will be the lynchpin of a great offense this season. I'll again hold out hope that he can play an adequate RF.

Remember: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. And Carlos Quentin is once again a growth stock, poised for HUGE returns. [I hope.]

Of course, this is a fan in Spring Training mode, and it is subject to change as conditions on the ground change...
No it doesn't. Not really at all.

Quentin's career averages, per 162 games:
32 HR 100 RBI .835 OPS

The only thing out of the ordinary about that season was that he was healthy for most of it.

khan
02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
No it doesn't. Not really at all.

Quentin's career averages, per 162 games:
32 HR 100 RBI .835 OPS

The only thing out of the ordinary about that season was that he was healthy for most of it.

Two things:

1. Very, very few MLB regulars play 162 games in a season any more. So, to cite a /162 game rate is not at all germaine to the discussion, PARTICULARLY with a china doll like Quentin.

Quentin's CAREER HIGH games played is 131, set last year. This is some 19.14% fewer games than 162. Therefore, your 32 HR over 162 games would equal to 26 or so over Quentin's career high games played. His 100 RBI rate over 162 games would equal to a middling 81 RBI over Quentin's career high games played.

Neither a 26 HR, nor a 81 RBI season are all that great. You actually called attention to yet ANOTHER logical reason why Quentin probably isn't a MVP-type player: His health. [BTW, his career average games played since he became a regular is an underwhelming 120 games.]

2. Quentin's statistical-outlying 2008 season included an OPS at .965, including an anomaly of a .571 slg %. He has never slugged above .500 since then, and prior to 2008, only in his cup of coffee season in 2006. The 2008 OPS is some 15.5% HIGHER than the 162 game season average you cite. This is a DEFINITION of a "career year." That is, IF we assume that Quentin's historical record will continue to be his trendline for the remainder of his career.

No matter how we want to spin it, 2008 is far and away a statistical outlier.

Setting aside logic and historical norms, I continue to hold out hope that Quentin can defy his norms, and perform up to his miracle 2008 season. [It's Spring Training, after all...]

Frater Perdurabo
02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
For me the telling sign was that his little glove tightening routine would go from 3 times a game when he wanted to take a small break to 3 times an at bat. I saw a lot less of those moments last year and for me it fits in well with his becoming more content with his own efforts and then having the best year of his career.

Nice catch. I noticed that too.

Corlose 15
02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
No matter how we want to spin it, 2008 is far and away a statistical outlier.

Setting aside logic and historical norms, I continue to hold out hope that Quentin can defy his norms, and perform up to his miracle 2008 season. [It's Spring Training, after all...]

I don't think miracle is the right word for Quentin's 2008 season, especially when you consider his minor league stats.

5 year, 393 games, 1337 AB
Avg: .314 OBP: .429 SLG: .527 OPS: 956

He was a first round pick who absolutely raked in the minor leagues. He has the ability to be an outstanding run producer in the Major Leagues he just has to stay healthy and get out of his own way. Which he did in 2008 until he broke his wrist.

To me the "miracle" wasn't that he hit that well, it was that he stayed healthy enough to be on the field for 130 games before he missed the last month of the season.

TDog
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM

As do I. But I don't believe statistical norms will have anything to do with how Quentin plays this season. It's a matter of being where he needs to be mentally and physically to perform at his best. Kenny Williams saw in Quentin what he could be and traded for him. White Sox fans saw what he could be in 2008 when he was the most valuable offensive player (although he was injured during the ALCS when Dewayne Wise proved to be the most valuable offensive player).

Quentin's 2008 is what he is capable of doing, and financially, he has every incentive to perform. His situation is not unlike Pablo Sandoval's in San Francisco. Sandoval came into camp having lost weight, determined to win the starting third-base job and return to his breakout-season form of 2009. The fact that such players come to camp apparently in better physical and mental shape than their career norms is more important than their career norms.

all*star quentin
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Couple thoughts on the article...

First if Carlos lost weight it's extra good news because one way to help mitigate plantar fasciitis flareups is to lose weight.

Second the whole emotional stability thing is something that's obviously harder for some people to get. It's interesting seeing Paulie talk about his struggles with it. One thing that always struck me about him is that when he'd get in a funk you could almost see the wheels grinding. For me the telling sign was that his little glove tightening routine would go from 3 times a game when he wanted to take a small break to 3 times an at bat. I saw a lot less of those moments last year and for me it fits in well with his becoming more content with his own efforts and then having the best year of his career.

Hopefully Carlos can figure that out now as he enters into his prime ball playing years.

PK also did this glove tightening to an obsession, which started in the 2009 season. Hawk mentioned that when PK stepped back off the plate, he was thinking about what the next pitch was going to be. Did he mentor Q?

voodoochile
02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
PK also did this glove tightening to an obsession, which started in the 2009 season. Hawk mentioned that when PK stepped back off the plate, he was thinking about what the next pitch was going to be. Did he mentor Q?
I was actually referring to PK. Sorry if I was unclear. Those moments came a lot less last year it seemed.

ghostface36
03-08-2011, 03:11 AM
carlos just needs to find a way to relax while being confident at the plate