PDA

View Full Version : Rios: Sox are the team to beat in the Central

Sockinchisox
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6144985

The Immigrant
02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Sigh. Must we go through this every year?

SephClone89
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought it was nice to hear Rios speak up, though, and sound optimistic.

Noneck
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Does any manager or player say that their team has a snowballs chance in hell of winning?

soltrain21
02-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Me too.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2011, 03:30 PM

I agree, I want to see the team play like they mean it too! They hang their heads as soon as they take the field against the Twins, I want to see that stop.

Bobby Thigpen
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Damn him.

:rolleyes:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree, I want to see the team play like they mean it too! They hang their heads as soon as they take the field against the Twins, I want to see that stop.

I agree, it does. This kicking around whenever we play the Twins is nauseating. Let's hope it changes!

P.s. One millionth post in the clubhouse!

correction...one millionth and first....

asindc
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Go through what?

doublem23
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Go through what?

Playing baseball, of course. Life would be much easier if the Sox just forfeited every game and spared us all the chore of having to watch them.

samurai_sox
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't know how anyone could have a problem with this, this is exactly what I want to hear as a Sox fan.

DumpJerry
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't know how anyone could have a problem with this, this is exactly what I want to hear as a Sox fan.
I'm disappointed in Rios' comments. He could have said something nice about the Churros.

The article, of course, talks about the Twins as if they are an elite team (who can't win in the postseason, by the way). Over the weekend, one of the local guys I heard on the radio (can't remember if it was The Score or ESPN1000) was gushing like a schoolgirl about this Japanese guy the Twins got to play Second. He said this guy has a swing almost as natural as Ichiro's swing. I figure if he is that good, the Red Sox or Yankees would have tripled the Twins' offer.

hoosiersoxfan
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Eh I'm tired of the Sox showing so much respect for the Twins over the years so I don't mind seeing confidence that they're gonna beat them this year.

The Immigrant
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Go through what?

Provide bulletin board material for the Twins, a team that feeds off its own small town inferiority complex. It always works out so well!

KMcMahon817
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm disappointed in Rios' comments. He could have said something nice about the Churros.

The article, of course, talks about the Twins as if they are an elite team (who can't win in the postseason, by the way). Over the weekend, one of the local guys I heard on the radio (can't remember if it was The Score or ESPN1000) was gushing like a schoolgirl about this Japanese guy the Twins got to play Second. He said this guy has a swing almost as natural as Ichiro's swing. I figure if he is that good, the Red Sox or Yankees would have tripled the Twins' offer.

The same guy that has seperated himself from teammates at spring training? Gardenhire said the guy has been there for a week, and he is still yet to speak with him (granted most of this is before their required report date). The Twins even made sure to tell him that he is welcome in the clubhouse with the pitchers and catchers, and he still kept himself isolated.

I had a feeling he wouldn't fit in before I heard this, but this just reaffirms it for me. My guess is he'll be a major league average second baseman, or shortstop, if that is where they intend on playing him.

daveeym
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Ship him out of town with those loudmouths Peavy and Konerko. These guys just don't know when to shut up.

JB98
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't have any problem with what Rios said. Now, let's see the Sox play with that same confidence each and every time they face Minnesota this year.

doublem23
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Don't those teams each have All-Star second basemen?

Bobby Thigpen
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Eh I'm tired of the Sox showing so much respect for the Twins over the years so I don't mind seeing confidence that they're gonna beat them this year.
They've earned their respect.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Don't those teams each have All-Star second basemen?Yeah, I was trying to picture the Yankees dumping Cano for an unproven Japanese player.

JB98
02-22-2011, 01:30 AM
They've earned their respect.

There is a difference between respect and fear. The Twins have made cowards of the Sox in the past. The Sox should be ashamed of their mental approach to the games against the Twins.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Don't those teams each have All-Star second basemen?

I thought he could also play shortstop and while that wouldn't mean much for the Yankees, the Red Sox might have kicked the tires.

Big Hurt so good
02-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Provide bulletin board material for the Twins, a team that feeds off its own small town inferiority complex. It always works out so well!

Bulletin board material or not, the Twins have the Sox number...

Sox went 5-13 against them last year and I don't recall any bulletin board material... so what's the difference if he said this or not?

Best case this whole team believes it and plays arrogant ball and turns the tables en route to a division title...

Worst case and the Twins own the Sox again (probably having nothing to do with this) and it's the same story, different season suggesting far greater issues than what Rios said on Feb. 21

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Over the weekend, one of the local guys I heard on the radio (can't remember if it was The Score or ESPN1000) was gushing like a schoolgirl about this Japanese guy the Twins got to play Second.

Matt Pinfer (?) on the Score said similar comments but I didn't hear an Ichiro comparison.

That said, he also was gaga over Pujols coming to the North Side. So that made me turn my radio off and my music on.

tstrike2000
02-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Haven't seen Alex that excited since he was heckled about an autograph in Toronto.

DumpJerry
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Matt Pinfer (?) on the Score said similar comments but I didn't hear an Ichiro comparison.

That said, he also was gaga over Pujols coming to the North Side. So that made me turn my radio off and my music on.
I do backflips over the talk of Pujols to the Cubs. They are the only NL team that has a legit chance at landing him. I don't want to see Prince Albert in the AL and now that Miggy Cabrera has screwed the pooch in Detroit, I'm very worried he could land in the AL Central.

SOXSINCE'70
02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Now, let's see the Sox play with that same confidence each and every time they face Minnesota this year.

+1!!:tiphat:

P.S. - It would help if Rios didn't make ****ty throws to home plate to cut down a Twins runner who will obviously score.Yeah, Alex. I remember.:angry:

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought he could also play shortstop and while that wouldn't mean much for the Yankees, the Red Sox might have kicked the tires.
From what I've heard, he doesn't have the arm for short.

SephClone89
02-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Matt Spiegel? He talked about it during Hit and Run Sunday.

I love Spiegel, though. Probably my favourite Score guy.

Hitmen77
02-22-2011, 07:55 PM

I do remember that the Twins were big whiners about comments by some Sox players about 8 or 10 years ago and they were somehow able to let the Sox be cowed by their indignation.

Well, shame on the Sox if they're afraid to think they're the team to beat in the AL Central. That should be no disrespect to the other competitive teams in the division. It's just part of a long history of the Twins doing this--->:whiner: over Sox comments. Hrbek was once offended because Hawk dared say "grab some bench" on Sox HOME telecasts when Sox pitchers struck out Twins hitters. Boo-****ing-hoo. Then some players in the Ray Durham/Keith Foulke era shot their mouths off and then the Sox let the Twins win the "psychological" war over that. Meanwhile, Tori Hunter mows down a Sox catcher on a non-contact play and the Sox let the Twins win that mind game too.

I'm glad Rios thinks this way and I hope our guys back this up. It's about ****ing time the Sox showed up to play Minnesota with a chip on their shoulder instead of showing up ready to heap praise on the Piranhas!

manders_01
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Does any manager or player say that their team has a snowballs chance in hell of winning?

Do you mean any team or the Sox? :?: Cause I think the Sox have more than a snowballs chance to win the division.

Ranger
02-23-2011, 05:56 AM
What's funny is that I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about these sort of things a player is supposed to say in the pre-season. On one hand, it's nice to hear some confidence coming from certain individuals (guys like Rios, in particular, that have been known to lack confidence from time to time). On the other, I don't mind if guys give credit/respect to good teams.

What I wouldn't accept, however, is a team admitting they just aren't as good as another team. If they think like that, they never will win.

Falstaff
02-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Mark my words: this blarb will become locker room bulletin board fodder for Minny. Maybe not now, but in April.:o: But, will NOT be enough to bite Sox on rear end, we will take season series, mark my words.:bandance:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Mark my words: this blarb will become locker room bulletin board fodder for Minny. Maybe not now, but in April.:o: But, will NOT be enough to bite Sox on rear end, we will take season series, mark my words.:bandance:

The Sox can counter that with a picture of Delmon Young barreling over A.J. and the pictures of all the Twins pitchers that drill our hitters constantly.

TheOldRoman
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I do remember that the Twins were big whiners about comments by some Sox players about 8 or 10 years ago and they were somehow able to let the Sox be cowed by their indignation.

Well, shame on the Sox if they're afraid to think they're the team to beat in the AL Central. That should be no disrespect to the other competitive teams in the division. It's just part of a long history of the Twins doing this--->:whiner: over Sox comments. Hrbek was once offended because Hawk dared say "grab some bench" on Sox HOME telecasts when Sox pitchers struck out Twins hitters. Boo-****ing-hoo. Then some players in the Ray Durham/Keith Foulke era shot their mouths off and then the Sox let the Twins win the "psychological" war over that. Meanwhile, Tori Hunter mows down a Sox catcher on a non-contact play and the Sox let the Twins win that mind game too.

I'm glad Rios thinks this way and I hope our guys back this up. It's about ****ing time the Sox showed up to play Minnesota with a chip on their shoulder instead of showing up ready to heap praise on the Piranhas!The thing that always drove me nuts is how the media and Twins acted like the Sox were constantly whining and talking trash about the Twins. Ray Durham and then Billy Koch talked crap about the Twins, but that was it. Meanwhile, the Twins had to use those two comments as motivation for 4 years or so, because they constantly whined about the Sox disrespecting them. Even when AJ came to the Sox, he said one thing he noticed is the Sox were always whining about the Twins. It was the exact opposite. The Twins were always whining about immaginary comments from the Sox, whining about the "big market" Sox with their $50 mil payroll, and whining that the Sox didn't respect them.