PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox ownership - Fenway Park will last another 40-50 years

Fenway
02-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Fenway may outlive The Cell now...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/02/lucchino_fenway.html

ComiskeyBrewer
02-20-2011, 12:17 AM
An interesting read. As long as the fans support stays strong, i don't doubt that at all. Of course, if for some reason support wains(i doubt it), i could see them tearing it down and building a new one. Of course, that wouldn't be within the next 15-20 years.

What i find most interesting about the article is this:

Werner said the ownership group would like to bring their soccer team, Liverpool, to Fenway Park sometime in 2012. The Red Sox also are open to the idea of playing in England at some point.

I plead ignorance on most things english, but i would be shocked if there was enough support for American baseball over there to actually have this make sense. Anybody have a finger on the baseball pulse over there?

DSpivack
02-20-2011, 12:40 AM
An interesting read. As long as the fans support stays strong, i don't doubt that at all. Of course, if for some reason support wains(i doubt it), i could see them tearing it down and building a new one. Of course, that wouldn't be within the next 15-20 years.

I plead ignorance on most things english, but i would be shocked if there was enough support for American baseball over there to actually have this make sense. Anybody have a finger on the baseball pulse over there?

For an exhibition game or two, why not? Makes as much sense as the NFL playing there. Problem I see is NFL games can be played on soccer fields. Baseball, I guess could be done on cricket grounds, but those are much larger.

Fenway
02-20-2011, 09:31 AM

ESPN America carries MLB games on a regular basis but how many are watching I have no clue.

Steve Buckley writes about Fenway today..

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2011_0220fenway_willlive_forever/srvc=sports&position=also

and a blogger is not happy with the ownership

http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2011/02/oh-joy-fenway-park-will-be-around-for.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BostonYoureMyHome+%28Boston%2 C+you%27re+my+home

SI1020
02-20-2011, 09:45 AM
The "blogger" seems somehow familiar to me.

Fenway
02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
The "blogger" seems somehow familiar to me.
:stirpot::whistle:

Wsoxmike59
02-20-2011, 10:36 AM
That's good news Fenway. I think the game should always have a physical link to its' storied past. The Fenway/Wrigley link in baseball is an important one.

When you think of the names of the players that have played at Fenway Park, it boggles the mind. (Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Jimmy Foxx, Lefty Grove, Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Ted Williams) Then factor in Wrigley's history and you've got a veritable Baseball Encyclopedia's worth of players covering most of the games history.

I hope Fenway and Wrigley last forever.

P.S. I was almost inconsolable when the White Sox tore down old Comiskey Park. I never thought I'd enjoy White Sox baseball as much as I did in the past. But the Sox team of the early 90's was a really fun one to watch.

But after a few seasonal blips that upset me greatly (the '94 Strike and the '97 White Flag deal) I was back on board full force by 2000.

Daver
02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Just keep polishing that turd.

Fenway
02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Just keep polishing that turd.

If Fenway is a turd - what is Wrigley?

Fenway
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
i just wish they would address the mistakes made in 1934 when the park was quickly rebuilt in 4 months after a fire. The sightlines in RF are terrible.

http://www.oldcitypics.com/images/1934-fenway-fire.jpg

Actually Fenway had 2 major fires....another one in 1926 destroyed the seats from 3B to the wall and they were not replaced until 1934.

http://shop.i-concepts.org/images/1207704611161-205272324.jpeg

That's good news Fenway. I think the game should always have a physical link to its' storied past. The Fenway/Wrigley link in baseball is an important one.

When you think of the names of the players that have played at Fenway Park, it boggles the mind. (Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Jimmy Foxx, Lefty Grove, Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Ted Williams) Then factor in Wrigley's history and you've got a veritable Baseball Encyclopedia's worth of players covering most of the games history.

I hope Fenway and Wrigley last forever.

P.S. I was almost inconsolable when the White Sox tore down old Comiskey Park. I never thought I'd enjoy White Sox baseball as much as I did in the past. But the Sox team of the early 90's was a really fun one to watch.

But after a few seasonal blips that upset me greatly (the '94 Strike and the '97 White Flag deal) I was back on board full force by 2000.

ewokpelts
02-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Fenway may outlive The Cell now...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/02/lucchino_fenway.html

I have no doubt Sox park will be replaced by 2033.

Fenway
02-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Who knows what stadium designers will dream up in the next 20 years to increase revenue.

The Astrodome was the first with luxury boxes in 1964, The Palace in Auburn Hills came up with club seating that changed arenas.

Fenway had one quirk that Wrigley doesn't have - a wide open roof to build these boxes and clubs.

Whitesox029
02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know, I don't see it. Sox park is pretty modern, especially after this decade's renovations. I think the wave of parks built in the early 90s will last much longer than the hideous multipurpose cookie-cutters built in the 60s and 70s. Those went out of style quickly. The Coliseum in Oakland is the only one still in use for baseball, and it's on the way out. The only other ones from those decades are unique and have aged well, namely Kaufman Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Angel Stadium. Those parks are 18, 29, and 25 years older than Sox Park, and they're not in line to be replaced any time soon.

Fenway
02-21-2011, 07:10 AM
To show how the game has changed - The Cell is now the EIGHTH oldest ballpark in terms of MLB service

1 Fenway Park 1912
2 Wrigley Field 1914
3 Dodger Stadium 1962
4 Anaheim Stadium 1966
5 Oakland 1968
6 Kauffman Stadium 1973
7 Rogers Centre 1989
8 The Cell 1991

Sun Life Stadium opened for football in 1987 - Tropicana opened in 1990

ewokpelts
02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't know, I don't see it. Sox park is pretty modern, especially after this decade's renovations. I think the wave of parks built in the early 90s will last much longer than the hideous multipurpose cookie-cutters built in the 60s and 70s. Those went out of style quickly. The Coliseum in Oakland is the only one still in use for baseball, and it's on the way out. The only other ones from those decades are unique and have aged well, namely Kaufman Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Angel Stadium. Those parks are 18, 29, and 25 years older than Sox Park, and they're not in line to be replaced any time soon.The lease expires in 2026, as do the naming rights.