PDA

View Full Version : Buehle says forget retirement

Big Hurt so good
02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
http://bit.ly/gkS5gh

Wants to play beyond 2011, hopes with White Sox but said he's already thinking of teams he WOULD play for...

obviously Cardinals among them... thankfully, he WOULD NOT play for the Cubs...

I cannot see any way I'd bring Buehrle back at anything close to his current deal... would you?

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Based on what another team is probably going to give him, I'd let him walk and lock up Danks long term.

DumpJerry
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
http://bit.ly/gkS5gh

Wants to play beyond 2011, hopes with White Sox but said he's already thinking of teams he WOULD play for...

obviously Cardinals among them... thankfully, he WOULD NOT play for the Cubs...

I cannot see any way I'd bring Buehrle back at anything close to his current deal... would you?
Yes. Without hesitation.

kittle42
02-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Let's see how close his WHIP gets to 1.50 this season first.

thomas35forever
02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Let's just hope he's willing to take less like Paulie and AJ.

TaylorStSox
02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm glad he's fantasizing about the teams he'd play for while he's under our control and embarking on an extremely important season for this franchise. :?:

Teal implied...

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes. Without hesitation.

Why would you pay him just as much as he is making now? You can say bye to Danks if that's the case.

doublem23
02-18-2011, 09:14 PM
At this point in his career, I think Buehrle is a better fit for the National League, however, if he was willing to take a nice paycut more in line with a 4th or 5th starter, I'd be OK with that. The one thing you can still count on from Buehrle is innings, and that's what you need from the guys from the back end of your rotation.

rcescato
02-18-2011, 10:54 PM
hes worth every dollar this franchise has paid him:bandance:

DirtySox
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd welcome MB back if he's willing to take a pay cut. Would still be a solid back of the rotation option.

DumpJerry
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Why would you pay him just as much as he is making now? You can say bye to Danks if that's the case.
The Sox can afford both Burls and Danks. Niether one is named Cliff Lee.

Big Hurt so good
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
The Sox can afford both Burls and Danks. Niether one is named Cliff Lee.

True, however keep in mind that both A.J. and Dunn backloaded their contracts specifically to help with this season's payroll...

you've got to assume the Sox are thinking about next season and beyond and know Buehrle either comes off the books entirely, or is re-signed with a significant paycut

DumpJerry
02-18-2011, 11:23 PM
True, however keep in mind that both A.J. and Dunn backloaded their contracts specifically to help with this season's payroll...

you've got to assume the Sox are thinking about next season and beyond and know Buehrle either comes off the books entirely, or is re-signed with a significant paycut
Kenn has a white board in his office with the next five years of player moves plotted on it. He already knows if he's going to try to hold onto Burls or let him go. He also has plotted on it what he wants to do with Danks and everyone else on the 40 man roster as well as the minor leaguers who are not on the 40 man roster. I'm not saying his plans are executed with 100% accuracy, but that is why it's on a white board.

doublem23
02-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Kenn has a white board in his office with the next five years of player moves plotted on it. He already knows if he's going to try to hold onto Burls or let him go. He also has plotted on it what he wants to do with Danks and everyone else on the 40 man roster as well as the minor leaguers who are not on the 40 man roster. I'm not saying his plans are executed with 100% accuracy, but that is why it's on a white board.

I'd be willing to bet Buehrle @ $14 M isn't on that board.

DumpJerry
02-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I'd be willing to bet Buehrle @ $14 M isn't on that board.
Probably not since he would probably not get that from anyone else unless he goes 22-4 this year. At less than 14M, he makes it easier to sign Danks.

soxfanreggie
02-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Probably not since he would probably not get that from anyone else unless he goes 22-4 this year. At less than 14M, he makes it easier to sign Danks.

There is only one team I can see offering a 3-year $40 million deal unless he is lights out - a pitching starved Yankees team if they don't get much production out of the back of their rotation. If he throws up a season where he is a top-5 Cy Young candidate, it might be hard to get him back.

It doesn't seem like he needs the money, so I will venture he isn't going to want the Sox or Cards to break the bank. With what the Cards could be committing to Pujols, that could be the best thing for the Sox.

If Mark is will in to agree to a deal that is fair to both us and him, I would love to see a deal signed for say 2012-2014, and then we can start talking number retirement and Sox Hall of Fame if he continues to play decent on top of what he has already given us.

ChicagoG19
02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Buehrle is my favorite current White Sox player and I hope he stays with the Sox until he retires. That being said, the Sox should definitely not overpay to keep him around. Ultimately, the team's success means more to me. I would be pretty upset if he went to Minnesota, New York, Boston, or the Cubs though.

veeter
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
At 148 wins, Mark is probably thinking about 200. He's not a greedy guy, so I could see him staying with the Sox for a lesser rate. It depends on how the season goes. He seems like he's on the downside, but a 17-10 season wouldn't surprise me either.

Harry Potter
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Who is Buehle?

Over By There
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
If Buehrle has a 20-win season and/or is in Cy Young contention, it's going to be a great problem to have, because that would likely mean the Sox are going to have a great year.

kittle42
02-19-2011, 05:00 PM
He's not a greedy guy, so I could see him staying with the Sox for a lesser rate.

This again. Trying to get paid more money to do a professional job is generally not greedy.

kittle42
02-19-2011, 05:00 PM
If Buehrle has a 20-win season and/or is in Cy Young contention, it's going to be a great problem to have, because that would likely mean the Sox are going to have a great year.

It would also mean hell froze over, but that's just my opinion.

wassagstdu
02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I think Buehrle is and has been at least as important to the Sox as Konerko, and I hope they can figure out a way to let him finish his career here. It is a business -- an entertainment business.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I've always hoped Buehrle was a career guy for the Sox. Here's hoping he stays after this year if retirement is indeed out of the question. Hopefully the Sox agree.

whitesoxfan1986
02-19-2011, 07:46 PM
If Buehrle is willing to come back for 2 years and between 14-18 million, okay, but otherwise I think it's time for him to go. However, if you want to sign Danks, you better be willing to go 5-6 years and 80-100 million. I think that if Danks hits the market, he's getting a $100 million deal from someone. I think Danks knows that too, so the Sox either have to be prepare to pay up in both dollars and years or let him walk if they want to go for it in 2012. I think if Peavy doesn't get healthy and pitch like he did in 2009 before he got injured, then Danks is as good as gone as JR will be extra cautious about big money pitchers from this point forward, whether acquired via trade or free agency.

veeter
02-19-2011, 09:34 PM
This again. Trying to get paid more money to do a professional job is generally not greedy. When a player is not as good at his job as he once was, he should not get a raise.

Boondock Saint
02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
When a player is not as good at his job as he once was, he should not get a raise.

The market decides his value. If someone wants to give him $15m a season, then that's what he's worth. If he takes it from someone other than the Sox, that doesn't make him greedy. Just because you, or the Sox, or whomever think that he isn't worth that much money, doesn't mean that he isn't worth that to someone else. There are plenty of teams who are dying for reliable, quality starters right now. I would imagine they might find Buehrle to be worth more than a team like the Sox would.

veeter
02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
The market decides his value. If someone wants to give him $15m a season, then that's what he's worth. If he takes it from someone other than the Sox, that doesn't make him greedy. Just because you, or the Sox, or whomever think that he isn't worth that much money, doesn't mean that he isn't worth that to someone else. There are plenty of teams who are dying for reliable, quality starters right now. I would imagine they might find Buehrle to be worth more than a team like the Sox would.Thanks

Domeshot17
02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
14-15 mil buys a much better pitcher than Mark. That said, Mark at 7-8 mil, thats not bad.

HomeFish
02-19-2011, 11:15 PM
When a player is not as good at his job as he once was, he should not get a raise.

Which is why Buehrle will be trying to play as good as he can this year. That's what the post you quoted was saying -- that it's good that Buehrle wants to get paid a lot, because it means he will try to play his best.

I love contract-year Konerko, let's see if contract-year Buehrle is as good

Big Hurt so good
02-20-2011, 04:09 AM
14-15 mil buys a much better pitcher than Mark. That said, Mark at 7-8 mil, thats not bad.

good point

and some team will overpay him next off-season because unless C.C. Sabathia or Chris Carpenter opt out of their contracts Buehrle will be the best pitcher on the market