PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon Already Gives up on 2011 for Cubs

Corlose 15
02-18-2011, 04:19 PM
How pathetic is it that before the Cubs position players report the headline story on the mlb page at espn.com is about what they should do NEXT off-season?:rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110218

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I admire them for really sticking by that "there's always next year" motto.

Fenway
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
THE HECKLER is piling on already - and it's February

http://www.theheckler.com/2011/02/18/jim-hendry-admitted-to-psychiatric-hospital-after-proclaiming-cubs-will-be-in-contention-this-season/

cws05champ
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
One of the things I really tire of is everyone saying " IF the Cubs win the World Series....." ...Chicago would collapse, it'd be the biggest party ever blah blah blah. It's on every story when someone new goes to the Cubs and every Spring training it comes up.

RadioheadRocks
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
One of the things I really tire of is everyone saying " IF the Cubs win the World Series....." ...Chicago would collapse, it'd be the biggest party ever blah blah blah. It's on every story when someone new goes to the Cubs and every Spring training it comes up.

"... and if grandma had cajones she'd be grandpa". :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM

That's what Cubbie fans said to console themselves when the Sox won the 2005 World Series. It's a variation on the same theme, attendance/popularity - "we're more popular than them..."

There's a lot of arm-chair psychology of Sox fans by Cubbie fans and it infects this site as well at times. Perhaps these Sigmund Frauds could analyze Cubbie fans and their perpetually spouting about how their team is more popular.

doublem23
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Who the **** gives a **** what Wilbon thinks?

beasly213
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Nobody. This guy is a total ****ing joke.

rcescato
02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
i agree who gives a crap what those people think

RKMeibalane
02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
How pathetic is it that before the Cubs position players report the headline story on the mlb page at espn.com is about what they should do NEXT off-season?:rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110218

I can't say that I'm surprised. They have nothing to play for this season, so they may as well look toward 2012.

Corlose 15
02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I didn't post the article because I value Wilbon's opinion. I posted the article because apparently the only thing worth discussing about the Cubs is what they should do next offseason. The author of the article is completely irrelevant.

Nellie_Fox
02-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Nobody. This guy is a total ****ing joke.You don't speak for everybody beasly. Other than his Cubbie fandom, I like Wilbon. He seems like he'd be a great guy to sit down, have a beer and talk sports with.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
You don't speak for everybody beasly. Other than his Cubbie fandom, I like Wilbon. He seems like he'd be a great guy to sit down, have a beer and talk sports with.

Agreed.

He seems to know his stuff, even though he's a Cub fan. I don't have a problem with him.

SoxNation05
02-19-2011, 12:40 AM
You don't speak for everybody beasly. Other than his Cubbie fandom, I like Wilbon. He seems like he'd be a great guy to sit down, have a beer and talk sports with.

Yeah seriously, regardless o f his sporting views you know he's a great guy with morals.

hawkjt
02-19-2011, 11:11 AM
:D:Wilbon...a south side Cub fan...the worst type of Cub fan...joking:cool:

He is ok,but the Cubs are crap on toast again this year,so I understand looking ahead.
Thank God for the Sox...and Kenny Williams over Jim Hendry.

doublem23
02-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Fair enough, I personally don't like Wilbon, I don't think he ever has anything interesting to say on any topic, and if I had sit and have a beer with him, I'd make sure one of the glasses was full of arsenic... Don't really care which one, though.

Lip Man 1
02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Had the chance to spend time with him at the 2001 NCAA West Regionals in Boise. I was working in a small capacity for CBS and he was part of the D.C. contingent that was there because Georgetown, Maryland and George Mason were in that region.

Introduced myself in the press room, said I was from Chicago and we talked for a good twenty minutes. Very nice, down to Earth guy. Really enjoyed it.

Lip

asindc
02-19-2011, 03:11 PM

He is. Minus the beer, I've done just that. He is a proud Midwesterner (always good to talk to someone here about that) and definitely a regular guy when it comes to sports.

beasly213
02-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I lost all respect for him once he jumped on the "Cutler isn't tough" bandwagon without any facts to back it up. A respected journalist should have facts before making dumb statements.

Red Barchetta
02-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Gosh, replace "Cubs" with any other major league team and you can make the same argument....:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
02-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I lost all respect for him once he jumped on the "Cutler isn't tough" bandwagon without any facts to back it up. A respected journalist should have facts before making dumb statements.That's fine. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I was just calling you on saying that "nobody" cares what Wilbon thinks, and saying you should only speak for yourself.

guillen4life13
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I agree with Nellie and others' opinions of Wilbon. Sure, like every other sports journalist, he puts his foot in his mouth (or word processor) from time to time, but he seems like he would be a cool guy to just shoot the **** with and talk sports.

I used to savor Cubs futility, but I have some good friends that are true Cubs fans and I legitimately feel bad for them. At least the Sox, as an organization, always try to improve and put out a team that will at least have a chance to win. This Cubs team has no chance, barring a major, major fluke. It's like Hendry either gave up or is actually trying to screw the team over. If I were a fan of that team, I'd be starting protests, seriously considering an allegiance switch, or abandoning professional baseball completely. That organization has let its fans down.

I like the Cubs to be competitive and make the playoffs as long as they don't do as well as the Sox in any given season... and this mentality is a relic from when I was in middle and high school and was one of the few who wore Sox colors proudly and often got ridiculed for it. Regardless of team allegiances, competitive teams boost the city economy.

RadioheadRocks
02-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Simply put, the White Sox are BASEBALL, the Cubs are a dog and pony show.

'Nuff said.

Dan H
02-20-2011, 08:53 AM

I agree this is the dumbest way to look at things. Like all White Sox fans, I loved 2005, but its one drawback was that it took so long. Fans shouldn't have to wait almost nine decades to win a Series. Obviously, many don't live long enough to be that patient.

This thing about this great Cubs party is just another excuse for the team not to win anything. Instead, this pipe dream is constantly brought up with the Hope Springs Eternal philosophy tied to it. I don't think any fan base should allow itself to be hoodwinked by this drivel.

As for Cub prospects: I don't see them winning anything for a long time, at least not in this century.

russ99
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't want to dump on Wilbon, but since he's a Chicago guy and employed by an organization that assumes Chicago has one baseball team, I don't have a problem with him ending up as the mouthpiece for this expected "story".

I have a lot of respect for the guy, he's a good writer. Consider the source...

And that whole "if the Cubs win" nonsense is ridiculous. It would be like the Sox parade and the Hawks parade.

The assumption that anything is bigger and more important because it's the Cubs is one of the things I really hate about that fanbase. A little (not fake) humilty after over a century without a title would go a long way.

g0g0
02-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Pujols is on every team's mind that might have the money and allure for him. But I don't think anyone should overlook the coming season. Cincy won't run away with it again this year even though they have the same team back, and the Cubs have made some good additions/re-signings to their bullpen. I think this team is far from the doom and gloom prophecies.

rainbow6
02-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I think far too many people are writing off the Cubs chances this year. If following the game closely for thirty years has taught me anything, it's to expect the unexpected. Does everyone expect games against this Cubs team are going to be a cakewalk?

Any team with a decent starting staff, dominant closer, and power throughout the lineup has a chance to be dangerous. Whenever a consensus starts to form that a team will be bad, expect the unexpected.

Hope I'm wrong.

doublem23
02-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I think far too many people are writing off the Cubs chances this year. If following the game closely for thirty years has taught me anything, it's to expect the unexpected. Does everyone expect games against this Cubs team are going to be a cakewalk?

Any team with a decent starting staff, dominant closer, and power throughout the lineup has a chance to be dangerous. Whenever a consensus starts to form that a team will be bad, expect the unexpected.

Hope I'm wrong.

Do I take it your penciling in a Pirates/Royals World Series?

Nobody think the Cubs are going to be bad, it's just... they're not going to be very good.

palehozenychicty
02-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Do I take it your penciling in a Pirates/Royals World Series?

Nobody think the Cubs are going to be bad, it's just... they're not going to be very good.

Thank you. There is no way they beat the Phillies or Giants or Brewers or Reds or Cards or Dodgers for anything significant. Hell, even the Braves, Marlins, and Rockies have some formidable talent. Sorry, but nein.