PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs Prop Bets

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Alright, so my jerkoff friend and myself got into a wonderful Sox/Cubs email fight this morning. The usual blah blah Cubs are more important, blah blah 2005 vs. 1908, blah blah north side vs southside, attendance, yadda yadda yadda.

So I told him to put his money with his mouth is and I want to come up with 9 categories/bets to make with him for the upcoming season. I'm trying to make this as fair as possible, and obviously certain categories will lean one way but I'm trying to find a reasonable center. I need some help.

Here are my ideas so far:

Season record: Sox vs Cubs +5 to +10 (haven't decided on a fair number yet)

Head to Head record (total runs scored in the series is the tiebreaker)

Homeruns: Konerko and Dunn vs. Pena and Ramirez/Soriano (his choice)

Fewest team errors: Sox vs Cubs -15 (Cubs had 23 more errors than the Sox last year)

Most Wins: Dank and Floyd vs. Garza and Dempster (he suggested Zambrano in place of Dempster)

Bullpen: Saves/Blown Saves/ERA (Best of 3 takes the category)

Team that makes the playoffs (draw if neither happens, he complained about the Sox being in an easier division)

I need a couple more good ones, help me out WSI!

FielderJones
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
he complained about the Sox being in an easier division

Reality is not a strong suit for Cubs fans.

AL Central 2010 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2010.shtml) .493
NL Central 2010 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2010.shtml) .475

Frankly, you shouldn't offer any spread on team winning percentage. I know the Cubs had trouble with them last year, but wouldn't you like it if the Sox played the 105-loss Pirates 18 times a year?

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Reality is not a strong suit for Cubs fans.

AL Central 2010 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2010.shtml) .493
NL Central 2010 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2010.shtml) .475

Frankly, you shouldn't offer any spread on team winning percentage. I know the Cubs had trouble with them last year, but wouldn't you like it if the Sox played the 105-loss Pirates 18 times a year?

Well there's a couple of things to look at: we play the garbage Indians and Royals 18 times a year, they play the Pirates and Astros -- but it isn't 18 games a year because of the 6 team division right?

At the same time the Cards and Reds will be good and the Brewers got better. I'll offer him a spread on overall record, but I was also thinking of doing a Divisional category and possibly and interleague record category. Seeing has how we dominate interleague play that would be an easy win for me.

FielderJones
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Well there's a couple of things to look at: we play the garbage Indians and Royals 18 times a year, they play the Pirates and Astros -- but it isn't 18 games a year because of the 6 team division right?

15 intradivision games per year in NL Central.

4 of the 6 teams in that garbage division were under .500 -- only 2 of the 5 teams in the AL Central were under .500. The Cubs' division is a crap division, truly weaker than the AL Central.

It's an embarrassment that 10 of the Pirates 57 wins last year were against the Cubs.

asindc
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Alright, so my jerkoff friend and myself got into a wonderful Sox/Cubs email fight this morning. The usual blah blah Cubs are more important, blah blah 2005 vs. 1908, blah blah north side vs southside, attendance, yadda yadda yadda.

So I told him to put his money with his mouth is and I want to come up with 9 categories/bets to make with him for the upcoming season. I'm trying to make this as fair as possible, and obviously certain categories will lean one way but I'm trying to find a reasonable center. I need some help.

Here are my ideas so far:

Season record: Sox vs Cubs +5 to +10 (haven't decided on a fair number yet)

Head to Head record (total runs scored in the series is the tiebreaker)

Homeruns: Konerko and Dunn vs. Pena and Ramirez/Soriano (his choice)

Fewest team errors: Sox vs Cubs -15 (Cubs had 23 more errors than the Sox last year)

Most Wins: Dank and Floyd vs. Garza and Dempster (he suggested Zambrano in place of Dempster)

Bullpen: Saves/Blown Saves/ERA (Best of 3 takes the category)

Team that makes the playoffs (draw if neither happens, he complained about the Sox being in an easier division)

I would give a spread of no more the -10 for errors. While Soriano will still be butchering routine plays in LF, their young players will be better and I think they will generally play better as a team this year.

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I would give a spread of no more the -10 for errors. While Soriano will still be butchering routine plays in LF, their young players will be better and I think they will generally play better as a team this year.

He made a comment about them losing Lee's defense, but Pena is a very solid defender I believe. I like where your head is at.

russ99
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM

At the same time the Cards and Reds will be good and the Brewers got better. I'll offer him a spread on overall record, but I was also thinking of doing a Divisional category and possibly and interleague record category. Seeing has how we dominate interleague play that would be an easy win for me.

The Astros did quite well against the Cubs last year at 11-7.

I hope for that trend to continue. :smile:

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I kind of want to do a Beckham vs. Castro thing, but I'm not sure where to go with that.

Or maybe a couple players against each other in steals.

Zisk77
02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Prop bet I heard on the score. What will be higher: Buerhle's innings pitched or Carlos pena's Batting average.

DumpJerry
02-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Prop bet I heard on the score. What will be higher: Buerhle's innings pitched or Carlos pena's Batting average.
If Pena hits .197 again, bet on Buehrle.

Marqhead
02-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Ha, that's a good one.

Buehrle average's 223 IP per year, but has been lower recently.

Pena averages .241 BA per year but has also been lower recently.

TheVulture
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
How about Adam Dunn's on base percentage vs. the Cub's winning percentage against the AL?

DumpJerry
02-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Number of fans injured by falling building parts during games.

Marqhead
02-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Another bet I'll have going is with a friend of mine who's a Tigers fan.

Over/Under on perfect games ruined at .5

Foulke You
02-19-2011, 02:12 AM
If you can get him to agree to a total stolen bases bet, the Sox should be a slam dunk to win that category. Heck even an individual stolen bases bet with Pierre vs. anyone on the Cubs roster should be a given barring injury.

A few other bets: Best division record, team batting average, total runs scored, strikeouts (pitching staff or individual pitcher), best "rival" record (vs. Twins/ vs. Cards), farthest HR distance. That's all I got right now.:cool:

34rancher
02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't like the ERA one, since they will get to face 3-4 fewer real batters per game every day without the DH.

I would also just say heck with giving him wins. Do what I have done with my buddy for 25 years. $5 a win every season. Sucker bet over the long haul Kind of like Vegas actually taking money on Cubs winning the WS every year. Just easy money.

A prop for him would be total OF HRs... Or combination of HR/E/Assists per team.

g0g0
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
My suggestion would be wins vs. division opponents. It's guaranteed my Cubbies will lose to the Pirates lol... :(:

SI1020
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't like the ERA one, since they will get to face 3-4 fewer real batters per game every day without the DH.
Make it ERA+? AL league ERA last year was 4.14, NL 4.02. Not that drastic a difference.

DumpJerry
02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
My suggestion would be wins vs. division opponents. It's guaranteed my Cubbies will lose to the Pirates lol... :(:
The Cubs play more games against the NL Central than the Sox play against the AL Central (more teams in the NLC).

doublem23
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
The Cubs play more games against the NL Central than the Sox play against the AL Central (more teams in the NLC).

Yeah but that's likely tempered by the fact that the AL Central is arguably the worst division in baseball right now.

g0g0
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Why wouldn't win % work? I know the Cubs will have more games, but the % should keep it kosher right?

DumpJerry
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Why wouldn't win % work? I know the Cubs will have more games, but the % should keep it kosher right?
I was thinking number of wins. Percentage is a fair measure.

DumpJerry
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah but that's likely tempered by the fact that the AL Central is arguably the worst division in baseball right now.
Come on, how can you say that? The division produces at least one playoff team each season.

TommyJohn
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Come on, how can you say that? The division produces at least one playoff team each season.Can't argue with that!

Of course, said team always gets spanked by the Yankees...

Law11
02-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I do a simple $5 a game difference in wins between the two teams end of the season. Had to do some convincing this year.

asindc
02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Can't argue with that!

Of course, said team always gets spanked by the Yankees...

Actually, you are wrong about that. True, the Twinkees always get spanked by the Yanks. However, the last two times the Yanks played an AL Central team in the playoffs other than Minny (2006, Detroit; 2007, Cleveland), they lost.

Foulke You
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
You could argue that but you'd be wrong.:cool:

Marqhead
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
He wants +9 on Cubs wins this year.

I proposed 7, but I'm confident with 9.