PDA

View Full Version : Peavy has good bullpen session

doublem23
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Threw free and easy today off the mound, routine MR check on the injury looks good.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/peavy-prepares-for-mound-session.html

Corlose 15
02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Haha, I just answered you in the other thread with this exact story. :D:

spawn
02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Definitely good news. I just hope he doesn't try coming back too early.

DumpJerry
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
My condolences for his grandma. I hope his dad does better soon.

DonnieDarko
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Has he changed the follow-through on his delivery, does anyone know, or does he still snap his arm back up after he throws?

JermaineDye05
02-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Has he changed the follow-through on his delivery, does anyone know, or does he still snap his arm back up after he throws?

Probably still the same. He's been doing that his whole career.

BoysMom3
02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
great to hear!

PeteWard
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I hate to say that a team's season depends on one guy, but Peavy's fate is soooooo important to this season.

Falstaff
02-21-2011, 02:24 AM
I am guessing they gave him good rub down with Oil of Wintergreen linament following the bp session; its like Ben Gay exponential. Would like to see him
develop some more off speed sneaky pitches to complement the fast and filthy.

SOX ADDICT '73
02-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Did they determine that the snap-back contributed to his injury?

rdivaldi
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Did they determine that the snap-back contributed to his injury?

No, but they did a segment on the network in which Mitch Williams blamed it...

Bobby Thigpen
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
No, but they did a segment on the network in which Mitch Williams blamed it...
Mitch Williams is commenting on people's deliveries?

Boondock Saint
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Mitch Williams is commenting on people's deliveries?

Beat me to it.

Jeckle
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Honestly I think we are in good shape considering all we need Peavy to be is a 5th starter. We don't need to rush him back. IMO if he can give us around 150 IP and a .500 record with an ERA under 4.5 I'll be thrilled..

soltrain21
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Honestly I think we are in good shape considering all we need Peavy to be is a 5th starter. We don't need to rush him back. IMO if he can give us around 150 IP and a .500 record with an ERA under 4.5 I'll be thrilled..

I wouldn't be thrilled with that performance at all.

DumpJerry
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
The clip they showed on the news had him tossing at a little bit more intensity than a BP pitcher, but a lot less than what you see in a real game. Reminded me of one time when I saw Nolan Ryan warm up before a game at Comiskey. He we throwing pitches, but there was not pop. We were all disappointed because we wanted to see close up the Ryan Express (this was at old Comiskey where you could stand right above the bullpen in Center). The usher came along and told us to take our seats since the National Anthem was about to begin. As we headed up the bleacher benches, we heard an explosion that sounded like an 18-wheeler blew all 18 tires at once. We turned around in time to see a very faint white blur screaming into the Catcher's mitt followed by another explosion. The Ryan Express had arrived!

That was what I did not see in the clip of Peavy the other day. Not yet.

By the way, your question is very salient. The muscle he ripped up is the one that slows down the arm after making the pitch, so, yes, he might have to get rid of the snap in his arm since that probably contributed heavily to the injury. I'm thinking that the snap placed a lot of stress on the ligaments which connect the muscle to his shoulder since that is where the separation took place. We will know the answer when he is given 100% clearance to pitch in game-like conditions.

DumpJerry
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
New video (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13117489) posted yesterday by MLB. The delivery looks good in that he does not seem to have limitations in his motion from injury. However, it still looks like he could make Buehrle's fastball look like Sale's. Hopefully in a few months, he'll be up to speed. Being only 29 years old helps speed along recovery.

Nelfox02
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Does he volunteer to give back some of his salary if he gives us those numbers?

I guess at this point I am just curious to see if this guy will ever be close what he was a few years back.

JermaineDye05
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
New video (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13117489) posted yesterday by MLB. The delivery looks good in that he does not seem to have limitations in his motion from injury. However, it still looks like he could make Buehrle's fastball look like Sale's. Hopefully in a few months, he'll be up to speed. Being only 29 years old helps speed along recovery.

I don't think you can really take much from that since it's batting practice. I'm sure once he's given the green light, we'll see the same motion we've seen since he's been in the league.

ZombieRob
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't know if I'm missing anything, but was Peavy hurt before the Lat tear? or Did he just pitch real mediocre? His velocity was done is power slider wasn't sliding. He was horrible to just ok, had the great games against real crap teams. I hope he does come back stronger and much healthier.

Corlose 15
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
By the way, your question is very salient. The muscle he ripped up is the one that slows down the arm after making the pitch, so, yes, he might have to get rid of the snap in his arm since that probably contributed heavily to the injury. I'm thinking that the snap placed a lot of stress on the ligaments which connect the muscle to his shoulder since that is where the separation took place. We will know the answer when he is given 100% clearance to pitch in game-like conditions.

You mean tendon, tendons connect muscle to bone. Ligaments connect bone to bone. In Peavy's case the latissimus dorsi muscle tendon detached from the bone. The lat is also important to the acceleration of the arm during throwing as well since it is an internal rotator and internal rotation is the main motion required to throw the baseball.

Peavy's main issue going forward IMO is not a lack of stability at the shoulder but building up the strength in the lat to increase his power in throwing the baseball.

DonnieDarko
02-21-2011, 08:09 PM
According to that video, he did exactly what I hoped he would do...but again, only Spring. We shall see.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

DumpJerry
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't think you can really take much from that since it's batting practice. I'm sure once he's given the green light, we'll see the same motion we've seen since he's been in the league.
Last week, he said he was 60-70% there. Something tells me we're seeing him as hard as he can go right now.

beasly213
02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
This is good to hear and all but I'm going into this season assuming we won't have Jake Peavy at all.

Even if he comes back his history shows he'll get hurt again at some point. Obviously I would love for him to come back and give the Sox a great season but I just can't get excited about him yet.

JermaineDye05
02-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Last week, he said he was 60-70% there. Something tells me we're seeing him as hard as he can go right now.

I agree, but what I'm saying is that his motion seems free and easy because that's as hard as he can go right now. I feel it'll be back to the max effort snapping arm motion once he's strong enough. That's assuming he is able to get back to that.

I'm certainly pulling for Jake to get there. This team needs him if we want to win a world series.

Corlose 15
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Peavy apparently looked good in another 40-pitch BP session.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/peavy-looks-impressive-in-bp-session.html

chisox12
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Peavy apparently looked good in another 40-pitch BP session.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/peavy-looks-impressive-in-bp-session.html

Great news. :D::D:

chisox77
02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Hard to say how this will turn out . . . would rather wait a little more for him to be as good as he can be.

Corlose 15
02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Hard to say how this will turn out . . . would rather wait a little more for him to be as good as he can be.

How do you know that he needs to wait a little more? The Sox aren't going to pitch him before he's ready and they aren't going to sit on their hands and not pitch him if he is ready just for the sake of being cautious. Holding him back unnecessarily would only be harmful to Jake's progress because it would prevent him from confronting his injury.

Herm Schneider is as good as it gets, and him and the training staff aren't going to let him go before he's ready. If Peavy is pitching in the middle of April it's because he's healthy.

SoxSpeed22
02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
This "speed bump" that they're anticipating still kind of bothers me. It might be just building his strength back up to go 6-7 innings, but who knows. But so far, so good.

Lip Man 1
02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Peavy had apparently gotten together with his old San Diego coaches over dinner to review his delivery according to Mark Gonzales.

"I want to do the same thing I did all my life from the time I got to San Diego until the time I got traded." Who said he got into bad habits after he suffered an ankle injury before his trade to the Sox. "I got away from that. If you go back and look at how things happen, you can see how I did and how things easily got out of hand."

Lip

salty99
02-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Why can't Coop fix him?

DonnieDarko
02-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Peavy had apparently gotten together with his old San Diego coaches over dinner to review his delivery according to Mark Gonzales.

"I want to do the same thing I did all my life from the time I got to San Diego until the time I got traded." Who said he got into bad habits after he suffered an ankle injury before his trade to the Sox. "I got away from that. If you go back and look at how things happen, you can see how I did and how things easily got out of hand."

Lip

...so, wait. His delivery in San Diego was different from what it was when he came here? Can anyone prove this? I seem to always remember him having the same delivery.

Jim Shorts
02-24-2011, 09:12 AM
...so, wait. His delivery in San Diego was different from what it was when he came here? Can anyone prove this? I seem to always remember him having the same delivery.

From Peavy's tone in the article, it seems after he hurt his ankle, there were some slight subconscious adjustments for the ankle in his windup/delivery. He'd like to get back to what it was before and those to guys in SD knew what it looked like best.

that's what I took of it anyway. Nothing drastic and certainly not something that Coop would have experience with, except for tape.

russ99
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Facing batters in spring training has a much different effort level that an actual game situation.

The real test is how he does against real batters next Thursday, and if there are any setbacks when the competitive Peavy lets loose.

SI1020
02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
...so, wait. His delivery in San Diego was different from what it was when he came here? Can anyone prove this? I seem to always remember him having the same delivery. I thought there was a little bit of a difference. I also thought his 2010 delivery changed some from the way he pitched in September of 2009.

Randar68
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
The real test is how he does against real batters next Thursday, and if there are any setbacks when the competitive Peavy lets loose.

Who cares how he "does" against real hitters? I really don't care how he does until April, but that's just me. Stay healthy, work into shape, work on mechanics... He has 5-6 weeks to figure it out.