PDA

View Full Version : Casey at the bat for Winston-Salem...

Randar68
07-03-2002, 10:18 AM
After rehabbing at the Sox' training facilities in Arizona, and batting well over .400 in Arizona Rookie League games, Casey Rogowski made his successful debut for Winston-Salem last night going 2-5.

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
After rehabbing at the Sox' training facilities in Arizona, and batting well over .400 in Arizona Rookie League games, Casey Rogowski made his successful debut for Winston-Salem last night going 2-5. yeah but isn't he somewhat of a mark grace kind of hitter.

Randar68
07-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
yeah but isn't he somewhat of a mark grace kind of hitter.

Uhhhh, if he turned out to be a .300+ hitter with a great eye and 10-15 HR power, I don't think we'd complain too much.

He's a true 6'2" and 230+ pounds and runs like a deer. He hits the ball hard to all fields, with HR power to the whole field. VERY good fielder and will develop more power as the 20-year-old continues to mature.

My Favorite Rogowski quotes on a game early last season.

“You don’t wanna be a one-dimensional guy. If you can’t hit the outside pitch, that’s all you’ll see. They pitched me inside the first time and I pulled it. Then they stayed outside and I went with the pitches.”

Kannapolis hitting coach Ken Dominguez said:

“Casey’s shown he can handle different pitches in different zones,” Dominguez said. “He’s got pitchers thinking now and as a hitter that’s exactly what you want. "

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 10:43 AM

Uhhhh, if he turned out to be a .300+ hitter with a great eye and 10-15 HR power, I don't think we'd complain too much.

He's a true 6'2" and 230+ pounds and runs like a deer. He hits the ball hard to all fields, with HR power to the whole field. VERY good fielder and will develop more power as the 20-year-old continues to mature.

My Favorite Rogowski quotes on a game early last season.

“You don’t wanna be a one-dimensional guy. If you can’t hit the outside pitch, that’s all you’ll see. They pitched me inside the first time and I pulled it. Then they stayed outside and I went with the pitches.”

Kannapolis hitting coach Ken Dominguez said:

“Casey’s shown he can handle different pitches in different zones,” Dominguez said. “He’s got pitchers thinking now and as a hitter that’s exactly what you want. " he is a first basemen and i now stand corrected, b/c i thought that he might not make it to the bigs with 10 hrs a yr.

doublem23
07-03-2002, 10:44 AM
A) What happened to him and B) 2002 Media Guide lists him as a first baseman (and I all think we know we're pretty set there now). Where else could he play?

Randar68
07-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
A) What happened to him and B) 2002 Media Guide lists him as a first baseman (and I all think we know we're pretty set there now). Where else could he play?

He had a shoulder injury, I can't recall the exact problem (dislocation/separation or something similar I think)...

He is a first baseman and was voted, by the coaches, to be the best defensive first baseman in the Southern League last season in his first full season of professional baseball.

Impressive young man that I expect big things out of.

Spiff
07-03-2002, 10:50 AM

He had a shoulder injury, I can't recall the exact problem (dislocation/separation or something similar I think)...

He is a first baseman and was voted, by the coaches, to be the best defensive first baseman in the Southern League last season in his first full season of professional baseball.

Impressive young man that I expect big things out of.

Possible future 1B with Konerko at DH...? Or am I forgetting something?

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 10:51 AM

Impressive young man that I expect big things out of. if and when frank retires, then a combo of paulie and casey........ with casey playing 1 base...... methinks

Vsahajpal
07-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Are you sure it was the Southern League?

CerberusWG
07-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Should be Carolina League. That's if he was in High A ball last year. I think he was, though.

Randar68
07-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Should be Carolina League. That's if he was in High A ball last year. I think he was, though.

Casey played all of last season for Kannapolis of the South Atlantic league...LOL!

South something or other, sorry about that. Nice catch VS!

Chisoxfn
07-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Right now you don't worry about where he'll play in the future. You just know that he is probably 2 years away. Next year he can go to AA/AAA and then the Sox can evaluate where he is then. If he's looking good, and Thomas is still struggling, maybe we use the dimished skills contract or simply deal Thomas. Heck, maybe we move Thomas this year to a team like the A's who could use some pop at first(Doubt they'd do it) or more likely to a team like the Red Sox that definately have a need at 1st.

I'd say if he continues to pan out and develop into a major league player, then we can always let Konerko become a DH or at least he could split time with PK at 1st. Still, he has a long way away so I wouldn't make any moves simply because he's in the minors.

hold2dibber
07-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Right now you don't worry about where he'll play in the future. You just know that he is probably 2 years away. Next year he can go to AA/AAA and then the Sox can evaluate where he is then. If he's looking good, and Thomas is still struggling, maybe we use the dimished skills contract or simply deal Thomas. Heck, maybe we move Thomas this year to a team like the A's who could use some pop at first(Doubt they'd do it) or more likely to a team like the Red Sox that definately have a need at 1st.

I'd say if he continues to pan out and develop into a major league player, then we can always let Konerko become a DH or at least he could split time with PK at 1st. Still, he has a long way away so I wouldn't make any moves simply because he's in the minors.

Frank is basically untradeable at this point. If he is traded, the diminishing skills clause is voided and he gets all his money and he gets it all now (i.e., not deferred). No one is going to want to pay him those kind of dollars unless he starts hitting like the Frank Thomas of old (which I still hope will happen). Of course, if he starts hitting like the Frank Thomas of old, I for one would not want to trade him to make room Rowgowski or any other first baseman not named Lou Gehrig. But I agree -- lets not get ahead of ourselves here. We'll see what Rowgowski does in the minors over the next few years. If he is still looking like the real deal in two years, we'll cross that bridge at that time.

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Frank is basically untradeable at this point. If he is traded, the diminishing skills clause is voided and he gets all his money and he gets it all now (i.e., not deferred). No one is going to want to pay him those kind of dollars unless he starts hitting like the Frank Thomas of old (which I still hope will happen). Of course, if he starts hitting like the Frank Thomas of old, I for one would not want to trade him to make room Rowgowski or any other first baseman not named Lou Gehrig. But I agree -- lets not get ahead of ourselves here. We'll see what Rowgowski does in the minors over the next few years. If he is still looking like the real deal in two years, we'll cross that bridge at that time. in order to go far in the playoff.............. we need the big guy.......... plain and simple.......... whether he is struggling or not. the potential to get a big hit and spark the team is there.

Chisoxfn
07-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Definately, I just made a long post about Hurt in the discussion thread that has to deal with him. He's a huge part of this team and he's still helping us despite not being at his best. Franks one of my favorite players and I iwsh nothing more then of him to pick things up. If he can get rolling their is no doubt in my mind that we will make the playoffs and could do more(Especially if we pick up a #1 or #2 Starter to go with Buerhle and Garland)

LongDistanceFan
07-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Definately, I just made a long post about Hurt in the discussion thread that has to deal with him. He's a huge part of this team and he's still helping us despite not being at his best. Franks one of my favorite players and I iwsh nothing more then of him to pick things up. If he can get rolling their is no doubt in my mind that we will make the playoffs and could do more(Especially if we pick up a #1 or #2 Starter to go with Buerhle and Garland) i think he deserved to be kept in the lineup until he either shows us that he is wash up or he gets out of his slump..........

bc2k
07-04-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
in order to go far in the playoff.............. we need the big guy.......... plain and simple.......... whether he is struggling or not. the potential to get a big hit and spark the team is there.

Every time I read your posts I can't help but think of the wheelchair-bound kid from Malcom in the Middle. He has some sort of breathing problem where he has to pause every three words. I'm not ripping on you, I just found it comical. :smile:

LongDistanceFan
07-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

Every time I read your posts I can't help but think of the wheelchair-bound kid from Malcom in the Middle. He has some sort of breathing problem where he has to pause every three words. I'm not ripping on you, I just found it comical. :smile: yup, you are sooooo right and kool yourself.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Every time I read your posts I can't help but think of the wheelchair-bound kid from Malcom in the Middle. He has some sort of breathing problem where he has to pause every three words. I'm not ripping on you, I just found it comical. :smile: the .......... in my sentence is my stuttering problem..... don't how to write it........

CerberusWG
07-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Actually, LDF, it was funny.

Kind of annoying too when people type type and then signify .... as an end of a thought or something else.

Kind of like JoeyWPB's posts where "GO SOX" is thrown into a sentence for no reason at all.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

Kind of annoying too when people type type and then signify .... as an end of a thought or something else.

JoeyWPB's that has always been my style and oh well.... who is joey whatever.