salty99
02-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Back to being a free agent....

DirtySox
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Source help:

@RealRockies
Colorado Rockies
INF Joe Crede has decided not to report to #Rockies camp next week when position players report to @SaltRiverFields.
1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#!/RealRockies/status/38282317814308864)

@TroyRenck
Troy Renck, Rockies
Also Crede gave no reason for deciding not to report. He becomes free agent again
14 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/38304898252673024)

salty99
02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for adding the source!

VeeckAsInWreck
02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
....and the rumors and clamoring for his return start in ....3......2.....1......NOW!

salty99
02-17-2011, 12:57 PM
BRING BACK CREDE!!!!!!!!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Domeshot17
02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
The only role I would want Crede to have would be as a mentor to Morel. Crede was never that good of a ball player, and he is a complete shell of himself at this point.

DumpJerry
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm holding out for Ventura.

kittle42
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't see what it would hurt to sign him to a minor-league contract and hope he can back up Morel. 2005!

manders_01
02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Back to being a free agent....

I honestly didn't realize he was with the Rockies. But imagine my disappointment in finding out this morning that he was and then wasn't. :whiner: Would have been nice to see him again.

soltrain21
02-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Does he think he is going to get a better gig or something?

LongLiveFisk
02-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Me too. Hey, he's only 43. Vizquel is still playing and he's 43! :D: :tongue:

TomBradley72
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Crede was never that good of a ball player

He was an AL All Star in his last full season healthy- 2006.

Gavin
02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
To say he was never that good ball of player is a stretch, as TomBradley72 pointed out Crede almost hit 30/100 in 2006. So.. once he was good. Once. Also in the playoffs.

veeter
02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
The only role I would want Crede to have would be as a mentor to Morel. Crede was never that good of a ball player, and he is a complete shell of himself at this point.Yes, I too take issue with this. Never that good? C'mon.

LITTLE NELL
02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, I too take issue with this. Never that good? C'mon.

Damn good in the clutch and one of the best fielding third sackers in Sox history if not the best.

delben91
02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes, I too take issue with this. Never that good? C'mon.

He wasn't, just ask shoota.

Foulke You
02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Curious decision but then again, Scott Boras is his agent. Perhaps he is telling Joe he can secure him an MLB contract which would be really unlikely. I liked Crede and hope he can come back with some team. He might have a future as a backup 3B somewhere.

SOXSINCE'70
02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Do I hear Bill Melton anyone??:D:

TaylorStSox
02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I defended Crede on this board for a couple years. It's kind of crazy how people's perception of history changes over time.

Brian26
02-17-2011, 08:41 PM

:rolling:

Brian26
02-17-2011, 08:42 PM
He wasn't, just ask shoota.

Who's the guy that wanted Joe Randa here?

rdwj
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Damn good in the clutch and one of the best fielding third sackers in Sox history if not the best.

Agree 100%.

...but that was then - this is now. I don't see how he's be of any use

cws05champ
02-17-2011, 08:49 PM
The Rockies IF is loaded so he may actually get a better gig somewhere with an actual chance to play in the majors sometime this year. Maybe Florida who doesn't have a solid regular at 3B.

ShooterMcGavin
02-18-2011, 04:05 AM
The only role I would want Crede to have would be as a mentor to Morel. Crede was never that good of a ball player, and he is a complete shell of himself at this point.

Mentor to Morel? lol, 'hey kid, this is how you hit .252 for a career average, swing for the fences no matter the situation, try to hit every pitched ball to left field, with holes in your swing.'

You're right in that Crede was never that good of a ball player, and he even had overrated defense. He could never pick a bunt barehanded like Ventura, and made numerous errors that were never recorded as such.

Wsoxmike59
02-18-2011, 07:17 AM
I would like nothing more than to see Joe Crede back in a Sox uniform. The Sox are in a position to really contend this year, and the only question mark in the INF is 3B. Morel is unproven, and Teahan is just plain awful on defense. Crede could solidify the INF, and the Sox could take their time and groom Morel for the future.

bigsoxfan420
02-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I assume you mean as a part of the organization in a managerial way...and I agree. When he was in the dugout (last year?) with his son, both in uniform, I was very excited!

Steelrod
02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Curious decision but then again, Scott Boras is his agent. Perhaps he is telling Joe he can secure him an MLB contract which would be really unlikely. I liked Crede and hope he can come back with some team. He might have a future as a backup 3B somewhere.
Why not, considering that great advice he gave him last time!

doublem23
02-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I would like nothing more than to see Joe Crede back in a Sox uniform. The Sox are in a position to really contend this year, and the only question mark in the INF is 3B. Morel is unproven, and Teahan is just plain awful on defense. Crede could solidify the INF, and the Sox could take their time and groom Morel for the future.

That's teal implied, right? Crede hasn't played a MLB game since September 2009, had an atrociously poor season in Minnesota, and has such a bad back, I don't even know if he can bend over to field a ground ball at this point.

I'm sure whatever Crede could give the Sox at this point, Morel will be better.

Chez
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, unless Joe can find a platoon situation, I think he will have a hard time catching on with a team. When healthy, he can play only one position and he's slow. Not exactly what you want from a bench player.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Is this real? This can't be real.

kittle42
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Stop it now, please.

Domeshot17
02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
When I said Crede was never THAT good, it is just because he was very over rated here. He was great in the 2005 playoffs and he had a very good stretch in 2006 (but he was simply terrible down that stretch, might have been back related). But Crede overall was a .250ish 20 homer 70 rbi guy with a very good glove. It isn't like the guy was Scott Rolen good during his prime.

Wsoxmike59
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
@soltrain and Doublem. I'm totally serious. If Joe Crede is healthy I would take him back in a heartbeat.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't stand seeing Mark Teahan down at 3B butchering balls on an everyday basis.

Crede is still fairly young and if his back is healthy enough for the rigors of a major league season, I'd rather see Joe Crede at 3B than rushing an unproven prospect and perhaps ruining him for good.

soltrain21
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
@soltrain and Doublem. I'm totally serious. If Joe Crede is healthy I would take him back in a heartbeat.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't stand seeing Mark Teahan down at 3B butchering balls on an everyday basis.

Crede is still fairly young and if his back is healthy enough for the rigors of a major league season, I'd rather see Joe Crede at 3B than rushing an unproven prospect and perhaps ruining him for good.

Joe Crede isn't healthy. And when he was he was a good defender. That's it. You know who else is a good defender? Brent Morel.

And I don't really remembering watching Mark butchering ground balls on an everyday basis. He sucked, got hurt and then rode the pine.

Boondock Saint
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Joe Crede needs to quit while he still has a shot at being able to walk ten years from now. He's only making his back worse with every comeback failure.

Wsoxmike59
02-19-2011, 06:29 AM
@Soltrain, I understand where you're coming from, I know Crede hasn't been healthy the past couple years. But there's no reason he couldn't become healthy in the future. I remember the Sox took a chance on a guy who missed an entire season due to a career threatening injury. Eric Soderholm. And he became the Comeback Player of the Year in '77.

I agree with you on Morel on defense, he does look good at 3B. 100 times better than Viciedo looked down there, and much better than Teahan. I was quite unimpressed with Teahan's defense at 3B last season. His .919 Fielding Percentage bears that out. Then factor in his range on balls I feel he should've gotten to, and didn't that didn't go against his fielding average.

I realize Crede isn't coming home to the Sox. It's just wishful thinking on my part. Joe was a big reason the Sox won the World Series in 2005 and for that I am forever grateful and loyal to Joe.

spawn
02-19-2011, 07:53 AM
@Soltrain, I understand where you're coming from, I know Crede hasn't been healthy the past couple years. But there's no reason he couldn't become healthy in the future. I remember the Sox took a chance on a guy who missed an entire season due to a career threatening injury. Eric Soderholm. And he became the Comeback Player of the Year in '77.

I agree with you on Morel on defense, he does look good at 3B. 100 times better than Viciedo looked down there, and much better than Teahan. I was quite unimpressed with Teahan's defense at 3B last season. His .919 Fielding Percentage bears that out. Then factor in his range on balls I feel he should've gotten to, and didn't that didn't go against his fielding average.

I realize Crede isn't coming home to the Sox. It's just wishful thinking on my part. Joe was a big reason the Sox won the World Series in 2005 and for that I am forever grateful and loyal to Joe.
Crede will be 33 years old this season, and hashad mulitple surgeries on his back. He can't be counted on to last a full season. I understand being grateful and loyal to him for 2005, but people need to stop using that as a reason to sign former players.

Dan H
02-19-2011, 08:01 AM
The sad thing about Crede is that he got hurt just as he was finally coming into his own. His swing during those first years was down right awful. Starting in the last half of '05, he looked like a different hitter.

Any comeback will be ill advised. He probably misses the game, but he shouldn't make a comeback based on that. Time for him to face facts. His career could have been great and his slide cost the Sox big time.

palehozenychicty
02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
When I said Crede was never THAT good, it is just because he was very over rated here. He was great in the 2005 playoffs and he had a very good stretch in 2006 (but he was simply terrible down that stretch, might have been back related). But Crede overall was a .250ish 20 homer 70 rbi guy with a very good glove. It isn't like the guy was Scott Rolen good during his prime.

Thank you. Joe had his moments, but up until that postseason, he was getting slammed here for his inconsistency at the plate. His defense kept him in the majors, IMHO, and that's alright.

DumpJerry
02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm guessing Joe did not report because his back won't let him. Once you have a bad back, you're never 100% again no matter how many surgeries you undergo. With surgery, you can walk again and do most everyday things. However, playing professional sports (other than Poker), is out of the question. Your back will file a grievance with the Commissioner and will win the grievance.

SI1020
02-19-2011, 11:10 AM
The sad thing about Crede is that he got hurt just as he was finally coming into his own. His swing during those first years was down right awful. Starting in the last half of '05, he looked like a different hitter.

Any comeback will be ill advised. He probably misses the game, but he shouldn't make a comeback based on that. Time for him to face facts. His career could have been great and his slide cost the Sox big time. I totally agree with this post. Crede finally modified his swing enough to make him a much more effective hitter. Something that Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Josh Fields were never able to do. Joe is one of my all time favorite Sox players. Too bad for him when he was putting it all together his back failed him.

Steelrod
02-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Have you seen Soderholm lately. He can barely walk.

MISoxfan
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Crede will be 33 years old this season, and hashad mulitple surgeries on his back. He can't be counted on to last a full season. I understand being grateful and loyal to him for 2005, but people need to stop using that as a reason to sign former players.

Who did we bring back from 2005 after letting them go that came back to haunt us? I think Crede needs to retire, but we'vehad success with Pods and Garcia and no failures that spring to mind.

hoosiersoxfan
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Who did we bring back from 2005 after letting them go that came back to haunt us? I think Crede needs to retire, but we'vehad success with Pods and Garcia and no failures that spring to mind.

With Garcia and Jenks gone, how many are the Sox down to from that team?

Buerhle, AJ, Konerko are all I can think of.

And I used to be a huge Joe Crede fan because of his defense but I don't see any reason to bring him back at this point. Gotta give Morel a chance and hope Teahan doesn't butcher too many ground balls when he's in there.

SOXSINCE'70
02-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Joe Crede needs to quit while he still has a shot at being able to walk ten years from now. He's only making his back worse with every comeback failure.

This is my fear as well.:(:

Taliesinrk
02-19-2011, 06:08 PM
kind of off-topic, but thought of it because I was trying to figure out what Crede would offer the Sox this year: do the Sox have any power that comes off the bench this year? that's one thing I wish they would address (unless Morel is on the bench, and we assume he won't revert back to his minor-league self). I'd like for the Sox to have a guy that can come to the plate late in the game and tie it up with one swing. Maybe I'm just drawing blanks here, but as of now, I can't think of who fills that role.

SephClone89
02-19-2011, 07:43 PM
kind of off-topic, but thought of it because I was trying to figure out what Crede would offer the Sox this year: do the Sox have any power that comes off the bench this year? that's one thing I wish they would address (unless Morel is on the bench, and we assume he won't revert back to his minor-league self). I'd like for the Sox to have a guy that can come to the plate late in the game and tie it up with one swing. Maybe I'm just drawing blanks here, but as of now, I can't think of who fills that role.

Omar Vizquel.

Foulke You
02-19-2011, 09:33 PM
I'd like for the Sox to have a guy that can come to the plate late in the game and tie it up with one swing. Maybe I'm just drawing blanks here, but as of now, I can't think of who fills that role.
It could end up being be Dayan Viciedo. He has a shot to make the club as a back up. Also, Mark Teahen has a little bit of power and is a decent doubles hitter. Also, Ramon Castro is a decent power guy too.

DirtySox
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
It could end up being be Dayan Viciedo. He has a shot to make the club as a back up. Also, Mark Teahen has a little bit of power and is a decent doubles hitter. Also, Ramon Castro is a decent power guy too.

It won't be Dayan. If the kid couldn't find playing time when Mark Kotsay was the starting DH, he ain't gonna be playing in lieu of Konerko or Dunn. He needs continual reps at the plate and in the OF which is where he's being moved. AAA, bank on it.

Taliesinrk
02-20-2011, 01:08 AM

yeah.. I'm going to have to go with the poster above that Viciedo really should be in the minors if he's not playing everyday (which he won't be on this club).

as for the rest of your post... well, I guess that's what I was worried about

Whitesox029
02-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Do I hear Bill Melton anyone??:D:
Let's take this joke as far as it can go, shall we?:

Bring back Buck Weaver!

Foulke You
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
yeah.. I'm going to have to go with the poster above that Viciedo really should be in the minors if he's not playing everyday (which he won't be on this club).

as for the rest of your post... well, I guess that's what I was worried about
Well, outside of the Twins (Jim Thome) is there anyone in our division that has a big time power threat coming off the bench? Most of the guys that can really rake are already going to be starting. I understand your concern but our starting line up is stacked with power already so it isn't the end of the world to not have a big time power bat on the bench. It becomes more of an issue during interleague play, but even then you will have either Konerko, Quentin, or Dunn available due to the lack of a DH. Overall, I think Teahen, Vizquel, Castro, and Milledge makes for a pretty decent bench.

SOXSINCE'70
02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Let's take this joke as far as it can go, shall we?:

Bring back Buck Weaver!

Eric Soderholm, anyone? :D:

Andy T Clown
02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I want Joe Crede back to throw out the first pitch on Joe Crede bobblehead night.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Me too. Hey, he's only 43. Vizquel is still playing and he's 43! :D: :tongue:

I didn't believe you until I looked up Ventura on Baseball Reference. I don't remember him ending his career with the Dodgers in 04.

#1swisher
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
EDIT:

I guess I have Crede on my mind...haha