PDA

View Full Version : MLB Network to televise 83 spring games

Fenway
02-17-2011, 10:35 AM
http://networkedblogs.com/epKIz

Marqhead
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I counted 6 White Sox games, cool.

How many ST games are broadcast on CSN/WGN?

ewokpelts
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
if the sox game is on csn or wgn, the mlb network feed will be blacked out

DirtySox
02-17-2011, 12:12 PM
MLB Network, will you marry me? :giverose:

Medford Bobby
02-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I wish they would fall in love with DISH Network......:angry::whiner::(:

Viva Medias B's
02-17-2011, 08:31 PM

I wish they would fall in love with WOW Cable too.

ChicagoG19
02-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Get Directv. Problem solved.

Fenway
02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Get Directv. Problem solved.

If you are a sports fan - DirecTV is the only choice

Foulke You
02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
I have Comcast and they also carry MLB Network. The HD feed for that station is gorgeous too. Hey Fenway, you are pretty tied in with media/TV stuff for baseball. Has there been any word on how successful MLB Network has been as far as ratings or profitability? The league seems to have sunk a lot of money into the project so I would hope that the station is doing well.

Hitmen77
02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I have Comcast and they also carry MLB Network. The HD feed for that station is gorgeous too. Hey Fenway, you are pretty tied in with media/TV stuff for baseball. Has there been any word on how successful MLB Network has been as far as ratings or profitability? The league seems to have sunk a lot of money into the project so I would hope that the station is doing well.

This is one of the main reasons I have not even considered switching from Comcast to AT&T Uverse. I'd be crazy to give up MLB Network.

Fenway
02-18-2011, 09:42 AM

The station is making money mainly from monthly fees they collect from cable companies. Overall they are happy with the viewership numbers.

This is one of the main reasons I have not even considered switching from Comcast to AT&T Uverse. I'd be crazy to give up MLB Network.

Dish will not happen anytime soon as the deal MLB has with DirecTV for Extra Innings won't allow it. Uverse is strange as Verizon carries it on FiOS.

Foulke You
02-19-2011, 12:42 AM
The station is making money mainly from monthly fees they collect from cable companies. Overall they are happy with the viewership numbers.
Glad to hear it is doing well. They have really done a nice job with the programming and analysis. It's what I wanted ESPN's baseball coverage to be but they could never deliver.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Glad to hear it is doing well. They have really done a nice job with the programming and analysis. It's what I wanted ESPN's baseball coverage to be but they could never deliver.

They have done a great job so far, but bringing in guys like Millar and even Jerry Manuel who said he would be, and I'm serious about this, "straight up gangsta" has me worried about future analysis. But guys like Leiter, Reynolds, Mitch Williams and any of the writers they have do a fantastic job.

Foulke You
02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
They have done a great job so far, but bringing in guys like Millar and even Jerry Manuel who said he would be, and I'm serious about this, "straight up gangsta" has me worried about future analysis. But guys like Leiter, Reynolds, Mitch Williams and any of the writers they have do a fantastic job.
I agree that some of the guest analysts can be lacking. Manuel was pretty bad and Millar and Casey don't bring a whole lot to the table other than joking around. However, as you mentioned, Mitch Williams, Leiter, Plesac, and Reynolds are fantastic and usually do a good job of reeling the "B" guys like Millar in a bit. I also think Jon Hart does a pretty good job providing a GM perspective on trades and the draft when he is on the show.

DirtySox
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Games begin tomorrow at noon. 2 MLB games, with college baseball in between.

Phillies vs Yankees
Bethune-Cookman vs UC-Irvine
Grambling State vs Southern University
D-Backs vs Rockies

Jim Shorts
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
MLB Network is a thing of utter beauty and the best channel ever invented.

Mitch Williams needs to go, though. He's just awful.

Wsoxmike59
02-26-2011, 08:22 AM
I too am a big fan of MLB Network. Awesome channel. I try to catch a few innings here and there and I like to see some of the Sox prospects to see how they perform.

Speaking of spring training games, I remember as a kid the wait to Opening Day seemed interminable for me. I can remember thinking to myself why don't teams broadcast a few spring training games for their fans to fill the void?

And then in 1978 (or perhaps '79) Bill Veeck did just that. I do believe the Sox were the first team to broadcast a spring training game. I remember watching the game on Channel 44 on a cold March Sunday, and the main camera showing the action was located behind home plate.

P.S. I seem to recall since it had never been done before the Sox TV crew had to kind of "make due" and place their cameras wherever they could and hence the behind the plate camera handling most of the action and they had no CF camera for the shot looking in to the pitcher-hitter-catcher.

Does anybody else remember that game?

DirtySox
02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Everyone's favorite Bartolo Colon will be facing Cole Hamels in about 10 minutes.

Yankees sending out what looks like their everyday starting lineup. Looking forward to seeing Dom Brown with the Phillies. I hope NY puts in Montero at some point as well.

Viva Medias B's
02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
If only my cable provider would carry MLBN.

soltrain21
02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Yankees/Phillies about to start right now. OH YEAH!

DirtySox
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Holy drawn out introduction. Play ball already, kthx.

soltrain21
02-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Holy drawn out introduction. Play ball already, kthx.

Yeah. I get they built a statue for the guy, but cmon. The pomp and circumstance for his death happened last year.

soltrain21
02-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Ohh. Bartolo starting for the Yankees. Awesome.

roylestillman
02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Ohh. Bartolo starting for the Yankees. Awesome.
Announcers mentioned that Bartolo would like to lose 25 lbs. during Spring Training, "but he doesn't think there is enough time."

DirtySox
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Joba, Robertson, Phelps, Noesi and Wordekemper are scheduled to pitch for NY.

Phelps and Noesi are solid prospects that are worth watching if that's your thing.

DSpivack
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Announcers mentioned that Bartolo would like to lose 25 lbs. during Spring Training, "but he doesn't think there is enough time."

Gee, Bartolo, you think? In a month?

soltrain21
02-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Yeah. I laughed my ass off when they said that. Maybe he should have started his "workout program" a little earlier.

DirtySox
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Dodgers/Angels on at 2.

Uber-prospect Trout is in CF for the Angels. He and Harper are the consensus top prospects in all baseball for the unaware.

A few ex-Sox players are scheduled to pitch as well. Ely, Link, and MacDougal are all on the bump for the Dodgers.