PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training...who's going?

spawn
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Now that Pitchers and catchers report, for me baseball season has officially begun! :bandance:

I booked my trip for Glendale last week for 3/22 to 3/26. Who else is going, and when are you going?

Also, for those that have been there, where are some cool spots to hang out?

Carneyman14
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Going 3/3-3/7 :bandance:

manders_01
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Have tickets for the 3.11 game. Am looking at flights daily to try to get one that's reasonable. If I do, I'll be going 3.11 to 3.13. All the games are in Glendale (Sunday is away against the Dodgers). If I don't, I'll be posting the 3.11 tickets in Ticket Exchange forum. :whiner: Please dear Lord, please let the airline prices drop to my liking! :praying:

I typically don't do much exploring because I'm not there that long and I'm fairly booked while I'm there. But my sleeping patterns have changed drastically since last year (up between 7 and 7:30 instead of slightly past 10) so I'll have much more time in the morning to fill. I may make use of the hotel pool and get in some reading in my free time. Maybe take a trip to Taliesin this year. As an architecture nerd, though not a huge fan of FLW, I really should have been there by now. :dunce: Will definitely be heading to Giuseppe's on 28th for dinner one night. :drool: And I'll probably hang out at Westgate one night. Maybe this time I will pick the restaurant that the Sox are at instead of finding out the next day they were two doors down from where I was sitting! :angry:

palehosepub
02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
also going March 3- 7 have tickets for Sox at Angels (Friday) and Royals at Sox (Sunday)

SephClone89
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
For those who go to Glendale--do you check out Dodgers games too, or do you prefer to travel to see the Sox?

ohthosechisox
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm going from March 5th to the 9th. It will be my second spring training trip, but my first going to Camelback Ranch. :smile:

manders_01
02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
For those who go to Glendale--do you check out Dodgers games too, or do you prefer to travel to see the Sox?

I travel to see the Sox. It might be different for someone who's in town from Chicago though. I don't get that many chances to see the Sox through the regular season so I take advantage.

manders_01
02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for sticking this mods! We have a thread about it every year and it seems to get lost in the shuffle pretty easily. :thumbsup:

delben91
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll actually be in Scottsdale for work next week. If the meetings end early one day I'll swing over to Glendale.

Since there are no games yet, are workouts open to the public? If so, does anyone know when they typically wrap up for the day?

salty99
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes they already posted photos of Buehrle signing autographs

grenda12
02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
March 11-13

soxlady8
02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I will be there March 4th to the 7th :)

Two weeks or so !! yippeee !!

forrestg
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I will be at Tempe stadium on the 4th. The 5th through th 9th Ill beat camelback. Take advantage of the B games at camelback. There you can interact more closely with the sox's future stars.

boiker
02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Workouts are generally in the AM starting 9 am. I live about 3 minutes from Camelback Ranch. Went today around noon and they had already wrapped up practice. Going tomorrow earlier and hopefully the rain holds off.

soxlady8
02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
@ Manders -- It sounds like you know the area pretty well.
What really good restaurant or restaurants can you suggest at Westgate ?
What is Guiseppees (Spell) ?
I am looking to have one really good meal besides
In-n-out and Panda Express not far down the way !!

manders_01
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
@ Manders -- It sounds like you know the area pretty well.
What really good restaurant or restaurants can you suggest at Westgate ?
What is Guiseppees (Spell) ?
I am looking to have one really good meal besides
In-n-out and Panda Express not far down the way !!

I have only be to YardHouse at Westgate which is a chain. Good food, a little expensive. Other than that, can't give you any tips on there.

Giuseppe's is this AMAZING Italian restaurant that was featured on Triple D. It is not near Glendale, it's NE of downtown Phoenix. It was well worth the drive in my opinion. I wanted to try things so I order several dishes (had a frig and micro in my room so I was set for meals for the rest of the trip) and had the ragu, the osso bucco (both featured on the show) and the Limoncello Alfredo. I wasn't thrilled with the Alfredo but the other two were to die for! My girlfriend had a veal dish that was superb as well. And we of course finished the meal off with some tiramisu. So good! :drool:

Giuseppe's on 28th (http://www.giuseppeson28th.com/) The sign "As seen on Food Network" is new. Kinda overkill IMO. Put it in some letters on the window or something.

K_6SgS7TSgk

Have decided I'm not going to be able to make the trek down this season so am not only sad about no games and no hanging with my friend but also no Giuseppe's. :whiner:

spawn
02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Just an FYI...the reason this has been posted in the Sox Clubhouse is because it's for the WHITE SOX spring training, not the Red Sox or any other MLB team. I've split the two posts pertaining to the Red Sox into another thread.

boiker
02-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Ideas to try. Head over to old litchfield park near the wigwam resort for some good mexican at The Old Pueblo. Manny's on Indian School Rd. And El Mirage Rd. is good too. There's not much other than chains on the west side. Scottsdale and Phoenix are better for non-chain restaurants. Visit Park West at 99th and Northern for a couple more restaurants. Grimaldis, Flemmings, Bj's warehouse, Blue Burger, Sandbar and a new italian rwstaurant.

Google for reviews. I dont think any are that bad.

DirtySox
02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted.

If you are in the area on the 26th, the Sox have scheduled a backfield scrimmage with the Dodgers in the morning. Free admission as well.

http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/news.php/Dodgers-and-White-Sox-add-Practice-Scrimmage-to-Schdule-

DirtySox
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Surprised this hasn't been posted.

If you are in the area on the 26th, the Sox have scheduled a backfield scrimmage with the Dodgers in the morning. Free admission as well.

http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/news.php/Dodgers-and-White-Sox-add-Practice-Scrimmage-to-Schdule-

This isn't happening. I guess someone screwed up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/3340/forget-that-saturday-game-after-all

WhiteSoxFTW
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I will be there from 3/15-3/21. Checking out the Sox home games on Wednesday and Friday for sure. Gonna see a road game on Thursday. Then going to the Blackhawks game Sunday night. I just got my tickets in the mail yesterday! :bandance:

WhiteSoxFTW
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Question: Should I buy tickets to these games ahead of time? Or should I just wait and buy them at the box office?

Where are the seats that get some shade during the game?

Thanks!

FreeBuck12
02-25-2011, 11:49 PM
hi all! New here, but I'm going to be there March 13th-15th! I haven't seen the Sox play since 06 in Spring Training so I'm very excited to be going... plus my family will be there and I haven't seen them since January.

An official "Hello!" to everyone! :) :D:

spawn
02-26-2011, 07:39 AM
hi all! New here, but I'm going to be there March 13th-15th! I haven't seen the Sox play since 06 in Spring Training so I'm very excited to be going... plus my family will be there and I haven't seen them since January.

An official "Hello!" to everyone! :) :D:
:welcome:

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you enjoy posting here. :gulp:

konerko 14
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll be there March 10th-14th

soxlady8
02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
WSFTW - I like to get good seats as much as possible
to all baseball games . I got my seats off the Sox Website
and also Stubhub. My seats are awesome !! I will be there soon !!

I assume you can get them up at the front though. Last year when I went , there were plenty of walk ins !

manders_01
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Question: Should I buy tickets to these games ahead of time? Or should I just wait and buy them at the box office?

Where are the seats that get some shade during the game?

Thanks!

If you are looking for tickets to the game on the 11th vs. the Scrubs, I can almost guarantee it's already sold out. I typically buy mine online ahead of time so I can get nicer seats. But have not ever seen a problem with walk-ups except for the game I noted.

The first base side and close to the plate on the third base side are in the shade most, if not all, of the game. Not really much shade to speak of in the outfield.

FreeBuck12
02-28-2011, 02:32 AM
If you are looking for tickets to the game on the 11th vs. the Scrubs, I can almost guarantee it's already sold out. I typically buy mine online ahead of time so I can get nicer seats. But have not ever seen a problem with walk-ups except for the game I noted.

The first base side and close to the plate on the third base side are in the shade most, if not all, of the game. Not really much shade to speak of in the outfield.

So glad I saw this.... my entire family is gonna be there (i over-exaggerate.. there will be 6 of us.. me from vegas, my dad and bro from IL, and the rest live in Glendale) for like 3 of the games.. I can get up to 3 free tickets but we all wanna sit together and no one's ever been to Camelback to note if the tickets were hard to get on game day or not... so thank you for the info!!!!!! :smile:

soxlady8
03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
3 more days of work ... then I will be on a plane to ST !!

I am excited as all can be.

Weather looks to be 76-80 ... sweeet !!

cws05champ
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I'll be there the 17th-20th!!! I'll be able to catch two games (one at Camelbak), and a great St. Patrick's day concert! Flogging Molly!:bandance::bandance:

MarySwiss
03-01-2011, 05:29 PM

So glad I saw this.... my entire family is gonna be there (i over-exaggerate.. there will be 6 of us.. me from vegas, my dad and bro from IL, and the rest live in Glendale) for like 3 of the games.. I can get up to 3 free tickets but we all wanna sit together and no one's ever been to Camelback to note if the tickets were hard to get on game day or not... so thank you for the info!!!!!! :smile:

It is kind of late to try to get seats for Sox/Cubs on the 11th, but you might be able to score some lawn seats. That's not a terrible choice; since you've never been to Camelback, you most likely want to explore the park anyway, so the lawn tickets will get you in. Downside is that there will be plenty of Cubs fans there. In fact, last time I went to Sox/Cubs, Ronnie Woo-Woo was running around with a couple of Trixies plastered to his arms. Ugh!

And if you are going to that game, allow yourself plenty of time to get therre. Traffic is a bitch!

WestSider
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I'll be at these games:

Thu March 17 CWS at Brewers in Maryvale
Sun March 20 CWS in Glendale then Blackhawks/Coyotes at 5:00pm
Mon March 21 CWS at Peoria
Tue March 22 CWS at Peoria

We'll be tailgating for most of these if anyone wants to join.

soxlady8
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
tomorrow ... tomorrow ... I love ya tomorrow ... Your only a DAY away !!

soxlady8
03-04-2011, 03:11 PM
on my way...
hopefully I will post updates from the hotel if anyone is interested !!

Cannot wait !!
Cannot wait !!
Cannot wait !!

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
on my way...
hopefully I will post updates from the hotel if anyone is interested !!

Cannot wait !!
Cannot wait !!
Cannot wait !!
So, how were your experiences?

soxlady8
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
ChiSoxfanatic --

I posted some information under ChickenDinners
info about s.t.

here is a re-cap

I attended the game in Goodyear on Saturday. That was a nice ballpark. It was about 15 minutes away from Glendale , so it wasn't a bad ride.
It was not as nice as CB Ranch , but very new , modern , and it was well run.
I got Brent Lillibridge to sign my hat. I missed Ozzie as he moved
the other way and not towards where I was. Gordon was signing too , but I already got his signiture from last year. Weather was beautiful !
80 and sunny. I got a bit of a burn on my face.

Sunday I went early to see the guys warm up /practice.
I caught a practice ball that Juan Pierre slapped out of right field
and hit the fence (bounced towards me ). I got tons of signitures and a picture with Brent Lillibridge. Jake Peavy , Matt Thornton , Brent Morell ,
AJ , and Pierre were the big big ones I got to sign my hat. I also got some of the Triple A / Invitees to sign also. Adam Dunn is HUGE. Weather was wonderful again , this time 82 and sunny. I was more pro-active about sun screen this day.

We lost both games , but there was a combo of vets with the triple A and invitees in the game. I wasn't too worried. I don't think the Sox are the type of team that wants to win all the S.T. games for a trophy or something.

The guys looked to be in good spirits :)
I had a great time and opening day is about a month away !

WhiteSoxFTW
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Is anyone else going to the White Sox v. Rockies split squad game on Thursday 3/17?

From talking to my cousin, I am going to skip out on the Brewers half of the split squad and go to the Rockies ballpark. It's a pretty new facility.

manders_01
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
My friend who I typically go to tomorrow's game with just posted on FB that it's 88 there. Thank God it's very nice here in Denver or I would be even more depressed about not making it down than I already am. Was mostly able to keep my mind off the fact that I was missing ST but after that post and the fact that tomorrow would be the day I was leaving, starting to get a little bummed. :(: Only 110 days till June 28th!!! :D:

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
My friend who I typically go to tomorrow's game with just posted on FB that it's 88 there. Thank God it's very nice here in Denver or I would be even more depressed about not making it down than I already am. Was mostly able to keep my mind off the fact that I was missing ST but after that post and the fact that tomorrow would be the day I was leaving, starting to get a little bummed. :(: Only 110 days till June 28th!!! :D:
My cousin's urged me to go to that series (he lives in the city of Denver and already has tickets for all three games), but alas, I am going to be working! I wish it were during a weekend so that I could have gone. Are you going to get to any games here in Chicago this summer?

roylestillman
03-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Waiting at gate B3 at Midway to get on the flight to Phoenix. Will be there in time to see the SS game against the Rockies at the new ballpark in Scottsdale.

spawn
03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
My flight leaves next Tuesday. Going to meet up and catch up with MarySwiss while there. :gulp:

soxlady8
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Have fun Royle !!
Post some pics and definitely keep us up to date on what is going on -

:)

Hitmen77
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
What time is a good time to go to Camelback Ranch to see players in the workout fields prior to the ST games?

MarySwiss
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
My flight leaves next Tuesday. Going to meet up and catch up with MarySwiss while there. :gulp:

Yep, see ya soon, Spawn!

BTW, if any other WSIers are going to be out in the Glendale area this week and want to join us for a beverage or two, PM me for details on where and when. :gulp:

soxlady8
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Hitman 77

I was there a few weeks ago.
I got there two hours ahead of the game.
The practice fields were open and players were out and about :)

Hitmen77
03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Hitman 77

I was there a few weeks ago.
I got there two hours ahead of the game.
The practice fields were open and players were out and about :)

Thanks!

spawn
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Got into Phoenix today. My dumb ass flew in during rush hour traffic. Bad move. Sitting at a bar drinking a couple of cold ones. Going to the game tomorrow. Can't wait.

spawn
03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm at Camelback now. What a beautiful park. The weather is gorgeous. 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

soxlady8
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Have a wonderful time Spawn .
Give us updates and post some pics when you get back too !!

CLR01
03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I am thinking I will be there monday vs the reds. Should I buy tickets in advance or will I be fine walking up?