PDA

View Full Version : Heading into the all-star break.....

Soxheads
07-03-2002, 09:44 AM
....I thought I might rank the top 5 teams in the majors. We'll see if the Sox can ever crack it.:) I guess I caught the ratings bug from the music thread. I would like comments, and those of you who think I am a complete and total idiot (which is most of you, I know :smile: !) can just ignore my thread. This will be ranking number one. We'll just see if there's any demand for a number 2. Without further ado...

Heads Power Rankings, #1

<1>Los Angeles Dodgers (52-31)
Has there been anyone on a bigger tear than the Dodgers? Shawn Green has been making mincemeat out of National League pitchers, and the Dodger pitchers have held their leads. Oh yeah, All-Star Eric Gagne (Gone-yay), a much-maligned starter this year, leads the majors with 30 saves.

<2>Atlanta Braves (52-31)
Glavine and Smoltz. These two have led the Braves to a tie for the best record in baseball. Glavine has 11 wins, a 1.75 ERA, and will be making his eighth All-Star appearance. John Smoltz is not far behind Gagne in save with 27, and he too will be going to the all star team.

<3> Seattle Mariners (52-31)
The Mariners, also tied for the best record in baseball, haven't failed to disappoint. Even though Ichiro lost the All-Star vote in Japan to Shinjo, he'll still be going, even if he keeps his bats in a humidore. Kazahiro Sasaki became the quickest ever to a hundred saves last week. Thank God for the unbalanced schedule.

<4> Anaheim Angels (47-34)
Yes, folks, the Angels are that good. All year they have been right behind the Mariners and it doesn't look like they'll slow down soon. I wonder how they would've done with Singleton in center...but anywho, the Angels rotation is solid with guys like Washburn, and Sele, coming off a 3-hit shutout of the #1 Dodgers. Of course, most of the time it'll be over when Percival comes out, which is way too often for the opponent.

<5> New York Yankees (51-31)
The Yankees have bought themselves into this spot. It didn't hurt that the Yankees acquired Raul Mondesi so they could have a stable right fielder. Six Yankees made the all-star team, and most of the deserved it, including Alfonso Soriano and Robin Ventura. The Yankees are still in a challenge with Boston for #5 and the AL East lead.

Well, folks, I tried, and although I probably failed, I'd like to know how I did.

TheBigHurt
07-03-2002, 11:37 AM
you did Excellent

Soxheads
07-03-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
you did Excellent

Thank you.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2002, 02:40 PM
I too think you did an excellent job ranking the teams. It will be interesting to see if each of them can cotinue playing well after the break.

Soxheads
07-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I too think you did an excellent job ranking the teams. It will be interesting to see if each of them can cotinue playing well after the break.

I was going to rank all 30, but it would take way too long.

kermittheefrog
07-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Interesting. I don't think LA is as good as their record, they start 3 guys with sub-.300 OBPs everday. Gagne can't stay inhuman and Perez is on pace to pitch way over 200 innings, a breakdown wouldn't be surprising. I predict a slow ugly fall from first.

The Mariners and Yankees are my picks for 1-2 with Boston a heavy threat to take #3. Right now I'd say the Braves are the top team in the NL and that's not saying much for the NL. I'd put the D-Backs @ 5 and the Angels 6th. Dodgers record would make me keep them around 7 but I don't have to have confidence they'll stay good. I'd really like to put the Giants ahead of them. Since I've gotten this far I'll just finish out a top 10:

1. Mariners
2. Yankees
3. Red Sox
4. Braves
5. D-Backs
6. Angels
7. Dodgers
8. Giants
9. A's
10. Cardinals

Soxheads
07-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Interesting. I don't think LA is as good as their record, they start 3 guys with sub-.300 OBPs everday. Gagne can't stay inhuman and Perez is on pace to pitch way over 200 innings, a breakdown wouldn't be surprising. I predict a slow ugly fall from first.

The Mariners and Yankees are my picks for 1-2 with Boston a heavy threat to take #3. Right now I'd say the Braves are the top team in the NL and that's not saying much for the NL. I'd put the D-Backs @ 5 and the Angels 6th. Dodgers record would make me keep them around 7 but I don't have to have confidence they'll stay good. I'd really like to put the Giants ahead of them. Since I've gotten this far I'll just finish out a top 10:

1. Mariners
2. Yankees
3. Red Sox
4. Braves
5. D-Backs
6. Angels
7. Dodgers
8. Giants
9. A's
10. Cardinals

I am just putting them where they are now. The Red Sox would be my number six or tied with Yanks.

Dadawg_77
07-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Well according to ESPN RPI rating the top 10 are
1> Seatlle
2> Braves
3> Red Sox
4> Yankees
5> LA
6> A's
7> Backs
8> Giants
9> Anaheim
10> Reds
17> White Sox

According to Bill James expected winning %
1> Red Sox .649
2> Seatle .647
3> Yankees .637
4> Giants .630
5> Braves .623
6> Anaheim .611
7> LA .591
8> Backs .562
9> Cards .540
10> A's .530
11> Twins .529
12> White Sox .520

In my totaly bias viewpoint

1> Sox
30>Tampa Bay
29> Tigers

Mathew
07-03-2002, 04:06 PM
Here's another version.

The Sports Network-Canada (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/mlb_power.asp)

oldcomiskey
07-03-2002, 04:32 PM
lets just say we have one of the top 5 offenses--our starting pitching exept for burly and garland has been shaky at best--the bullpen has long stretches of ineptness as well---I just hope its enough

Chisox_cali
07-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Even though they killed us, and maybe I'm still stubborn about having to be at those games, but I think the Angels will fall apart in the 2nd half. They did the same thing last year when they were in the wild card run.

Jjav829
07-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

1. Mariners
2. Yankees
3. Red Sox
4. Braves
5. D-Backs
6. Angels
7. Dodgers
8. Giants
9. A's
10. Cardinals

I agree with just about everything you said. I don't see the Dodgers holding up this pace. As much as I hate to say it, I think the Mariners will take their division though I would like to see the A's take it. I think the A's do have a chance with their big 3 of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito pitching lights out for them now. And with the addition of Harang, if they can just get Lidle turned around, that pitching staff can carry them to, and through the playoffs. I look for them to be in the top 3 for second half rankings.